Bored Or Boring?

booma

I think boring is 'naa beua'...

I think I usually hear it (I'm bored) as phome ruusuk beua, or simply, Buea leew!

And my favorite, if really bored, Buea ca' tie! (bored to death) :o

Edited by Ajarn

depressed  :o

What's the tone, please?

I've always used 'gloomcai' for that general idea, but I figured there were better words....

BTW, I'm looking to expand my vocab and reading ability, and I'm wondering if any of you have used one of the various 'talking dicts'... The features I'm most looking for are English to Thai, phonetic English spelling, and Thai script. Vocalizing would be nice, but I sense the accuracy of the Thai sound is difficult using a computer voice.

I know there are many types on the market, but I haven't seen any since 1996... :D

It does not happen often but when I say 'phom beu-uh' am i saying I'm bored or I'm boring?

เบื่อ [LL]buea means 'bored, fed up'. Many non-English speakers find it hard to remember that things bore/interest people (or think they don't need an explicitly passive construction).

'seng' is เซ็ง, so [M]seng. There is a transliteration search at www.thai-language.com for answering this sort of question , though you do have to keep looking up the site's idiosyncratic vowel transliteration scheme.

What's the tone, please?

I've always used 'gloomcai' for that general idea, but I figured there were better words....

BTW, I'm looking to expand my vocab and reading ability, and I'm wondering if any of you have used one of the various 'talking dicts'... The features I'm most looking for are English to Thai, phonetic English spelling, and Thai script. Vocalizing would be nice, but I sense the accuracy of the Thai sound is difficult using a computer voice.

I know there are many types on the market, but I haven't seen any since 1996... :D

I dont use "talking Dicts" because I find that the pronounciation is not always accurate. I use a variety of book Dicts and for pronounciation I rely on my knowledge of the alphabet and the Thai Phonetics in the New Model Dict, see below. I also find that the "talking Dicts" are usually not very comprehensive in quantity of words and phrases.

The ones I use is Robertsons English/Thai....it is not very comprehensive though. Ideal for a beginner.

Manichs which has English/Thai and Thai/English but doesnt have English Phonetics....This is the dictionary that a lot of Thais here use to learn English and to translate into Thai....Still available at Bookzine stores but not in pocket size anymore.

I also use New Model Thai/English which is just Thai to English no English phonetics but Thai phonetics and is great for translating Thai script and also for Thais to show you what they mean. You need to be able to read Thai with this one.

I also have a tourist type dict....the first one I bought...useful for foodstuffs etc...and as a quick reference for basic things. But I rarely use this one.

Edited by gburns57au

What's the tone, please?

I dont use "talking Dicts" because I find that the pronounciation is not always accurate. I use a variety of book Dicts and for pronounciation I rely on my knowledge of the alphabet and the Thai Phonetics in the New Model Dict, see below. I also find that the "talking Dicts" are usually not very comprehensive in quantity of words and phrases.

The ones I use is Robertsons English/Thai....it is not very comprehensive though. Ideal for a beginner.

Manichs which has English/Thai and Thai/English but doesnt have English Phonetics....This is the dictionary that a lot of Thais here use to learn English and to translate into Thai....Still available at Bookzine stores but not in pocket size anymore.

I also use New Model Thai/English which is just Thai to English no English phonetics but Thai phonetics and is great for translating Thai script and also for Thais to show you what they mean. You need to be able to read Thai with this one.

I also have a tourist type dict....the first one I bought...useful for foodstuffs etc...and as a quick reference for basic things. But I rarely use this one.

A book is more inconvenient for me to use because I only have use of one hand. Try using a smallish dictionary with one hand sometime....

I'm not a beginner, so I'm looking for a machine with better quality than a tourist translator...

What's the tone, please?

A book is more inconvenient for me to use because I only have use of one hand. Try using a smallish dictionary with one hand sometime....

I'm not a beginner, so I'm looking for a machine with better quality than a tourist translator...

Didnt know about the hand.....but know your level of Thai.....just a comment for others. :D

gburns57au, in retrospect, I now know what a stupid boy I was for not sticking with my reading and writing classes at AUA those many years ago... I know that if I can read well, I can pretty much automatically speak well, for all the tones are clear once you've got the classes (and their exceptions) down pat. At the time, I was living a guest house life, so their wasn't much of a perceived need for reading Thai at the time. I speak Thai pretty well now, but my vocab expansion is falling behind expanding experiences and interests

Live and learn, na'? :D

Now I'm trying to rectify that, mostly because I want to learn, but also maybe to regain some sense of the independence I've lost since my stroke. It's tough for this independent guy to have to rely on others so much now, and maybe this is my way of seeking some balance in that...

Anyway, appreciate all your ideas. Ain't nothing wrong with beginner books for me, either.. Good practice and review, all of it. My head can be a hard at times and some pounding-in sometimes helps :o

gburns57au, in retrospect, I now know what a stupid boy I was for not sticking with my reading and writing classes at AUA those many years ago... I know that if I can read well, I can pretty much automatically speak well, for all the tones are clear once you've got the classes (and their exceptions) down pat. At the time, I was living a guest house life, so their wasn't much of a perceived need for reading Thai at the time. I speak Thai pretty well now, but my vocab expansion is falling behind expanding experiences and interests

Live and learn, na'?  :D

Now I'm trying to rectify that, mostly because I want to learn, but also maybe to regain some sense of the independence I've lost since my stroke.  It's tough for this independent guy to have to rely on others so much now, and maybe this is my way of seeking some balance in that...

Anyway, appreciate all your ideas. Ain't nothing wrong with beginner books for me, either.. Good practice and review, all of it. My head can be a hard at times and some pounding-in sometimes helps  :o

I am in a similar boat as you at the moment....I can speak and pronounce quite well but my vocab has fallen away over the last few years. I did most of my learning when I was married to a non english speaker, but since have been involved with mainly reasonable english speakers, so I got lazy....

Good luck with the continued learning...no matter what systems you use.

What's the tone, please?

doesn't saeng เฃ็ง mean dull or bored rather than depressed, ie เช็งชีวิต saeng cheewit- bored of life, what a dull life, etc?

Regarding 'depressed', isn't this really a Western concept? Thais can feel hopeless, sad, disheartened, etc but 'depressed' suggests long term sense of failure, inability to change the situation; I think most Thais in that situation would put things down to fate-waen kam เวรกรรม

I understand 'depressed', it means living in a town like Doncaster in England; even in the heart of a Klong Toei slum I think I would feel sad rather than depressed, anyway, some words that may suggest depression-

เศร้าหมอง sao mong( falling,rising tones)

เศร้าโสก sao sork (falling, low tones)

เศร้าฃึม sao seum( falling,middle tones)

กลัดกลุ้ม kladklum( low, falling tones)

Now I feel so depressed it's time for a beer!

bannork.

Edited by bannork

Live and learn, na'?  :D

Now I'm trying to rectify that, mostly because I want to learn, but also maybe to regain some sense of the independence I've lost since my stroke.  It's tough for this independent guy to have to rely on others so much now, and maybe this is my way of seeking some balance in that...

Anyway, appreciate all your ideas. Ain't nothing wrong with beginner books for me, either.. Good practice and review, all of it. My head can be a hard at times and some pounding-in sometimes helps  :D

I can speak and pronounce quite well but my vocab has fallen away over the last few years.

Wow, I know that's true about my English... Jack of all trades, master of none anymore :o

depressed :o

What's the tone, please?

doesn't saeng เฃ็ง mean dull or bored rather than depressed, ie เช็งชีวิต saeng cheewit- bored of life, what a dull life, etc?

Regarding 'depressed', isn't this really a Western concept? Thais can feel hopeless, sad, disheartened, etc but 'depressed' suggests long term sense of failure, inability to change the situation; I think most Thais in that situation would put things down to fate-waen kam เวรกรรม

I understand 'depressed', it means living in a town like Doncaster in England; even in the heart of a Klong Toei slum I think I would feel sad rather than depressed, anyway, some words that may suggest depression-

เศร้าหมอง sao mong( falling,rising tones)

เศร้าโสก sao sork (falling, low tones)

เศร้าฃึม sao seum( falling,middle tones)

กลัดกลุ้ม kladklum( low, falling tones)

Now I feel so depressed it's time for a beer!

bannork.

I agree 100%, I think depression is a state of mind and a concept that can only stem from and be understood properly in the context of the austere, plight-driven thinking climate and gloomy environs of the Northern hemisphere. Thais do not seem to understand the concept, especially not when you get into the more recent side of depression with medical diagnosis and Zoloft, Prozac, Cipramil and co.

Thank Buddha and the Thai smiles for that. Now where did I put that beer? :D