Thais Touching Your Kids

Neeranam

Thais Touching Your Kids  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And an observation on Thai culture - Thais do not go around touching, pinching, picking up, tickling or in anyway messing with the children of other Thais that they do not know - IT DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Guesthouse, I really wonder if you live in Thailand? If you are here, just what part of Thailand do you live in? Thais regularly touch, hold, pick up the children of other Thasi that they do not know. Not saying that they all do it, but it is not even close to being unusual. I am simply stunned that in all your supposed time here you could say that. I would be interested if other people living here for some time would comment on whether Guesthouse's observation is accurate or not.

Be stunned, qualtrough - And if you look back a page you'll see others have agreed with me.

And yes, I live in Thailand... I'm in Thailand....

I see Thai people touch other peoples' kids all the time, so I dont know why your world is so different to mine and so many other people who have posted here.

Then again allowing a tot to run around in a busy shopping mall unsupervised and out of sight is not taking care of the child in my world. If you had kept your daughter with you, the woman would not have been able to cut her hair.

Loong, when I want advice on raising my kids from a bar stool attendant I'll be in touch.

----------

Here's an observation I've often seen demonstrated to be correct.

Having worked and lived in quite a few countries, it has been my observation that the expats who get along with the local culture and are able to work/live effectively in foreign cultures are those who start from a platform of valuing and respecting their own culture first.

Throwing your own values out the window and accepting everything the local culture foists on you (and your children) - well .... OK so your ever so grateful to be here, and wish to demonstrate that by being ever so humble…

I guess some guys get to like the taste.

I think the issue is a little more complex. By that I mean your daughter is not 100% Thai. I don't have children at this point but I do have possesions. I see that Thais seem to have a sliding scale of respect for possesions of others matched with a childlike increase in curiosity. Consequently, they are much more apt to help themselves to my possesions than a fellow Thai. There is a sense of not having to ask for permision as I am not Thai and therefore am not deemed worthy of seeking permission to touch!

This may come across to the newer residents of Thailand as being churlish at the very least. Rest assured I am not - I simple classify such actions with those of the monkeys at Lopburi - part of their nature! I feel that in this case the OP might keep in mind the 'mindset' of Thais - especially Thai men who generally have scant regard for the feelings of others as that is the way they have been raised! Again, just the nature/nuture of the beast! It's probably worth ensuring as much as possible that Thais men are not givent the opportunity to touch your girls. Be proactive is the way to go if you are not comfortable with this situation

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's the situation - my elder daughter(7) is walking out from her new school with me when a Thai man(parent) comes over and touches her arm saying, "look kreung, suey" or "beautiful half-caste".

What would you do or say?

This happens frequently with one or both of my girls - usually in the supermarket. With the 2 year old it's not so bad but as they get older it irritates me. No foreigner has ever done this.

I would imagine that I'd be arrested if I did the same in my country. Does this happen in the West - people touching your daughters?

I'll tell you what I did later.

Would you say/do the same in Tesco Lotus Bangkok and Tesco Birmingham?

Maybe I'm over-protective towards my girls?

T.I.T it's really a compliment that sounds like an insult...........smile and remark on how beautiful his Katoey son is!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

I think the issue is a little more complex. By that I mean your daughter is not 100% Thai. I don't have children at this point but I do have possesions. I see that Thais seem to have a sliding scale of respect for possesions of others matched with a childlike increase in curiosity. Consequently, they are much more apt to help themselves to my possesions than a fellow Thai. There is a sense of not having to ask for permision as I am not Thai and therefore am not deemed worthy of seeking permission to touch!

Good Post.

Also, as Heng stated - Thai people DONT go around touching strangers kids. If the drunk that empties the bins touched my girls, I'd definitely tell him not to(as much as I like him). If the PM touched my daughter and complimented her, I wouldn't mind.

In general (and just like most of the themes on this thread, it's somewhat of a broad brush): folks will touch your kids if they feel you are of the same or lower class as they are. And like all things, that's not going to be clear cut. Luk krungs and farangs in general, as mentioned on another thread don't have a clear cut place in the hierarchy, so that kind of makes them 'open season' to innocent fondling

Interesting Heng - thanks. I wonder if my irritation is to do with my false pride, paranaoia, or other defects? :o If I were a nobody in society, living in a village, then I'd have an easier time accepting it. Strangely, it's usually when I'm with my daughter/s alone. No stranger would dare touch them when my wife was there - I must start shaving and showering daily. :D

Maybe I should accept this and smile. However, this morning I asked my daughter if she liked being touched and she said she didn't.

Should I look after my child's wants or let some Thai guy who thinks he is socially above me "hurt" her. When she's 14, should I still smile and say thanks? 21?

I dare all you "nothing wrong with it" group to go to Central Department store(or similar) and touch the arms of a beautiful Thai girls(preferrably Thai Chinese) who are with their fathers and say , "what a beautiful Thai/Chinese". If you think their fathers will smile and say , "thank you", you're in for a very nasty shock.

I bet this group also smile when someone shouts out farang to them. Thais, especially kids, shouting farang at my daughter - now that's a totally different matter - man, it's hard being a father sometimes :D

Edited by Neeranam

If someone coming up and touching your daughter's arm and complimenting her upsets you, you really should not be living in Thailand. I have two young daughters and I wasn't even aware that seomthing like that should be something that offended me. I simply find it amazing all the comments on racism, sexism, etc. So, so glad that I don't live back home.

Oh, where do you suggest for me?

Good Post.

Also, as Heng stated - Thai people DONT go around touching strangers kids. If the drunk that empties the bins touched my girls, I'd definitely tell him not to(as much as I like him). If the PM touched my daughter and complimented her, I wouldn't mind.

In general (and just like most of the themes on this thread, it's somewhat of a broad brush): folks will touch your kids if they feel you are of the same or lower class as they are. And like all things, that's not going to be clear cut. Luk krungs and farangs in general, as mentioned on another thread don't have a clear cut place in the hierarchy, so that kind of makes them 'open season' to innocent fondling

Interesting Heng - thanks. I wonder if my irritation is to do with my false pride, paranaoia, or other defects? :o

Maybe I should accept this and smile. However, this morning I asked my daughter if she liked being touched and she said she didn't.

Should I look after my child's wants or let some Thai guy who thinks he is socially above me "hurt" her. When she's 14, should I still smile and say thanks? 21?

I dare all you "nothing wrong with it" group to go to Central Department store(or similar) and touch the arms of a beautiful Thai girls(preferrably Thai Chinese) who are with their fathers and say , "what a beautiful Thai/Chinese". If you think their fathers will smile and say , "thank you", you're in for a very nasty shock.

I bet this group also smile when someone shouts out farang to them. Thais, especially kids, shouting farang at my daughter - now that's a totally different matter - man, it's hard being a father sometimes :D

As I read your dare the same thoughts on 'farang' screamed at me - then I scrolled down and you beat me to the punch! Nice one and a very fair point! That's part of the reason why I don't have kids at this point! :D:D

Good Post.

Interesting Heng - thanks. I wonder if my irritation is to do with my false pride, paranaoia, or other defects? :o If I were a nobody in society, living in a village, then I'd have an easier time accepting it. Strangely, it's usually when I'm with my daughter/s alone. No stranger would dare touch them when my wife was there - I must start shaving and showering daily. :D

It can be hard being a parent. Curiously, would you have a problem with all of this if this were your son?

For myself, it's a skin disease and general cleanliness issue (we probably sell about a ton of hydrocortisone in our pharmacies each year -not to mention all kinds of other corticosteroids- 20 grams at a time to people to treat all kinds of nasties feeding on their skin), so I am not so happy with anyone touching my kids full stop. But I notice for a lot of folks, there's a clear gender bias and I wonder how much of that is a personal psychological problem (such as in the thread where there was a female school teacher accused of molesting a male student).

:D

You overly protective Westerners know nothing Thai culture and arrived yesterday - right?

Your totally out of order the PB.

And an observation on Thai culture - Thais do not go around touching, pinching, picking up, tickling or in anyway messing with the children of other Thais that they do not know - IT DOES NOT HAPPEN.

You are right, in general Thais don't go round touching other Thai people's kids, but if you think that's because it's socially unacceptable, i think you are wrong. The only reason they don't touch these kids is because they have no urge to - they've seen these sorts of kids hundreds of times before.

Maybe so. My wife was a social worker dealing with handicapped kids. She loves kids - and no, not that way, get your mind out of the gutter. When I first met her, I was surprised at how she'd always go up to kids and talk with them, telling them how nice they look (or, in cases of ugly ones, what a nice smile they had, that sort of thing). Sure, she'd touch their arm, maybe a touch to the head...and no problems, all the parents smile and love the attention she's giving to their kids. Now, I teach the kids how to high five - and the parents are delighted that the farang would take some time with their kids!

However...I always carry my camera with me - you never know when a good shot will come along, and it's also a great ice-breaker with the villagers. I'll take pictures of the kids - but only with their parents, family portraits, that sort of thing, and then I'll send them a print of the pics if they come out well. *That* is the western paranoia still coming through. At times it is strange to have one foot in Thailand and the other foot in the west.

Good Post.

It can be hard being a parent. Curiously, would you have a problem with all of this if this were your son?

For myself, it's a skin disease and general cleanliness issue (we probably sell about a ton of hydrocortisone in our pharmacies each year -not to mention all kinds of other corticosteroids- 20 grams at a time to people to treat all kinds of nasties feeding on their skin), so I am not so happy with anyone touching my kids full stop. But I notice for a lot of folks, there's a clear gender bias and I wonder how much of that is a personal psychological problem (such as in the thread where there was a female school teacher accused of molesting a male student).

I think it would be much the same if it were my son.

The cleanliness thing is not an isue for me.

How would you feel if a strange foreign man(or woman) touched your son or daughter? I don't believe that it would only be the cleanliness that bothered you.

BTW, my Thai wife told me to say, "Don't touch my child" if this happens again.

Guesthouse, I really wonder if you live in Thailand? If you are here, just what part of Thailand do you live in? Thais regularly touch, hold, pick up the children of other Thasi that they do not know. Not saying that they all do it, but it is not even close to being unusual. I am simply stunned that in all your supposed time here you could say that. I would be interested if other people living here for some time would comment on whether Guesthouse's observation is accurate or not.

Not knowing him personally, but from previous posts of Guesthouse my assumption is that he lived in a rather upscale urban environment while in Thailand; there it well might be that the Thais he interacted with do not only wear western clothes and work exclusively in western-style office environments but that they also have assimilated all the worse parts of PC style thinking of the west.

One might notice that the OP lives in Khon Kaen, much less urban.

For all the faults that rural Thais and their thinking have (and I could rant on for hours on that), they do have also their good side, mainly being their uncomplicated social interactions free from the degenerated and perverted thoughts that prevail in the west. The example the OP gave was extremely obvious in its harmlessness as the Thai addressed the father to give the compliment and was right beside him.

Automatically assuming that every male interacting with a child must be a sexual predator is a horrendous way of looking at other people and speaks volumes about the mental state of those so thinking.

Edited by jts-khorat

How would you feel if a strange foreign man(or woman) touched your son or daughter? I don't believe that it would only be the cleanliness that bothered you.

Foreign or not is a non-issue for me, as germs are universal. I don't like strangers in general. How does it bother you?

A touch isn't molestation (again, not that I'm okay with touching), no matter what is going through their heads.

:o

Edited by Heng

My two daughters are younger and wherever we go they will get a lot of attention. What annoys me is that it is only because of their skin colour……this is racism and I hate it. How will they be treated at school when they’re older? I’m guessing if they go to Thai school, they will be treated quite differently from the other Thai kids – and I’m guessing the extra attention will lead to jealousy from the other kids.

Back to the topic I find it hard not to be annoyed when someone steps in front of me when I’m carrying my baby and asks if they can ‘um noi’.

I just ignore and walk off.

I would feel like a t_at if I did that to a Thai mum or dad and their kid

Then send them to school back in farang-land. There is no way my kids are going to a Thai school unless it is very exclusive and has been vetted educationally.

The cleanliness thing is not an isue for me.

So it's not hygiene. And earlier in the thread you said it wasn't sexual. I'm sorry but it's not clear to me exactly what your issue is. Could you expand?

Not saying this is true in his case, but it might be something like how some anti-gay, anti-semitic, etc. folks are really gay or Jewish themselves. It's a form of self hate or persecution.

Neer has stated in the previous post that the issue is 'foreign' hands so it's possible that we have our answer right there. Not that there's anything wrong with that. We all have our preferences.

Why?

Had other peoples puppies climb on me and let them kiss my face. Which is close to the same thing.

FREAk!!!!!!! I will report you to the ASPCA, you no-good puppy toucher!!!! How dare you, sir, have you no shame at all? What about the children?????

Not knowing him personally, but from previous posts of Guesthouse my assumption is that he lived in a rather upscale urban environment while in Thailand; there it well might be that the Thais he interacted with do not only wear western clothes and work exclusively in western-style office environments but that they also have assimilated all the worse parts of PC style thinking of the west.

If I might observe JTS, you need not have said you don't know me personally, the assumptions you make are clear evidence of the fact.

--------

In addition to the very valid health reasons raised by Heng(?) there are also issues relating to raising our children to understand that they own their own bodies and have a right not to be touched or messed with. They are children - not dolls for passing strangers to amuse themselves with.

Ask any Brit, they'll confirm it.

The UK police force were told that they HAD to recruit more ethnic minorities some years back and so for a while were turning down more suitable candidates simply because they were white. The strange thing is that the PC crowd would not accept that this was reverse discrimination.

In the USA the PC crowd (including Obama) lobbied that the banks were discriminating against ethnic minorities by not offering the same mortgages as they were to more financially stable people that happened to be white. We all know what that led to.

I realise that my posts may appear racist to a degree, but I assure you that I do not have a racist bone in my body.

I'm a Brit. This "BRITAIN HAS GONE PC MAD" is a myth perpetuated by gutter rags such as The Sun and Daily Mail. Britain has not gone PC mad. Britain actually does a pretty good job of ensuring people have similar rights. Sure, there are examples of people going too far, as some people love to bring up, but there are many many more cases of minorities being treated unfairly.

Why do you think we needed more ethnic minorities in the police? Maybe it was because the police system in the UK was "institutionally racist" (remember the Stephen Lawrence case?) Something needed to be done to balance this.

One might notice that the OP lives in Khon Kaen, much less urban.

For all the faults that rural Thais and their thinking have (and I could rant on for hours on that), they do have also their good side, mainly being their uncomplicated social interactions free from the degenerated and perverted thoughts that prevail in the west. The example the OP gave was extremely obvious in its harmlessness as the Thai addressed the father to give the compliment and was right beside him.

Automatically assuming that every male interacting with a child must be a sexual predator is a horrendous way of looking at other people and speaks volumes about the mental state of those so thinking.

Have you been to Khon Kaen recently? This has nothing to do with rural people. Amazing how some think of rice fields when they hear Khon Kaen.

For the second time - I am SURE that the guy wasn't a sexual predator. Do you really think I'd be asking if I should smile if I thought he were?? You and some PC obsessed and unPC obsessed people are going off on some weird tangent. I don't know about the West's perverted thinking and DONT care.

Do you touch strangers kids? I bet you don't. Why not?

Foreign or not is a non-issue for me, as germs are universal. I don't like strangers in general. How does it bother you?

A touch isn't molestation (again, not that I'm okay with touching), no matter what is going through their heads.

It's not molestation but it's a violation - of what I haven't decided. :D

If I might observe JTS, you need not have said you don't know me personally, the assumptions you make are clear evidence of the fact.

--------

In addition to the very valid health reasons raised by Heng(?) there are also issues relating to raising our children to understand that they own their own bodies and have a right not to be touched or messed with. They are children - not dolls for passing strangers to amuse themselves with.

Important as well but I think there's already a strong component of that in society here, it just doesn't kick into high gear until later on. I'm sure you know that in their teens here, gals (and parents) get a lot more serious about casual contact between genders whether from their peers or elders.... certainly more than in a lot of places in the world. Growing up in Texas, it was quite okay to play/wrestle around with swimsuit clad gal pals from childhood until well, college.

Just because it's not the same as in one's home country... well, I'm sure you all know the spiel. Overall, I think it all balances out.

I do the same thing I do when ANY OTHER HUMAN BEING touches my kid. It just depends on the person and the circumstance. WTH dose the person's nationality have to do with it? If they were white or (insert favorite nationality here) would it make a difference????

I bet if an African man touched the girl the pa would explode!

It's not molestation but it's a violation - of what I haven't decided. :D

Of personal space and air space. All good, but certainly not black and white. I feel the same about people parking near my property, despite my not owning the street out front, nevertheless I defend "my" space with all kinds of cones, parking barriers, employees' motorcycles, etc.

My two daughters are younger and wherever we go they will get a lot of attention. What annoys me is that it is only because of their skin colour……this is racism and I hate it. How will they be treated at school when they're older? I'm guessing if they go to Thai school, they will be treated quite differently from the other Thai kids – and I'm guessing the extra attention will lead to jealousy from the other kids.

Back to the topic I find it hard not to be annoyed when someone steps in front of me when I'm carrying my baby and asks if they can 'um noi'.

I just ignore and walk off.

I would feel like a t_at if I did that to a Thai mum or dad and their kid

Then send them to school back in farang-land. There is no way my kids are going to a Thai school unless it is very exclusive and has been vetted educationally.

Being pretty is thailand is a curse!

I do the same thing I do when ANY OTHER HUMAN BEING touches my kid. It just depends on the person and the circumstance. WTH dose the person's nationality have to do with it? If they were white or (insert favorite nationality here) would it make a difference????

I bet if an African man touched the girl the pa would explode!

Or how about a typical international school pool party where the kids/young adults "joust" (gals sitting on guys shoulders trying to knock the other out).... or the slightly naughtier version of "blind" jousting where they do it all backwards.

I find it hilarious how so many people here seem to think strangers have a right to touch children uninvited, and even excuse it by arguing that it is a refreshing change from the political correctness of the West. Yet, some of you may remember a thread from a couple weeks ago, when a man posted about how he had gone up to a woman, touched her on the back, and spoke to her, and then later got a nasty message in response for his rude behavior (and yes, randomly touching strangers, or people you're not close with, IS rude in Thailand). The view of most posters was, 'keep your hands to yourself!!!' As is should be in this case as well.

Edited by DP25

I find it hilarious how so many people here seem to think strangers have a right to touch children uninvited, and even excuse it by arguing that it is a refreshing change from the political correctness of the West. Yet, some of you may remember a thread from a couple weeks ago, when a man posted about how he had gone up to a woman, touched her on the back, and spoke to her, and then later got a nasty message in response for his rude behavior (and yes, randomly touching strangers, or people you're not close with, IS rude in Thailand). The view of most posters was, 'keep your hands to yourself!!!' As is should be in this case as well.

Very well observed.

I wouldn't say touching other people's children was the norm here. When my children were small nobody ever dared to touch them but maybe that was because I am a farang female but then they never dared if they were with my husband either (Thai).

Maybe people think farang men are more easy going ?

From my point of view it is not OK for children to grow up thinking it is OK for a stranger to invade their personal space. Most children of that age would instinctively back away if a stranger advanced to touch them and that is what you should teach your children to do.

Theres a difference in touching prepuberty girls and those that are post puberty! Its thai culture they are touchy people. Every time i go to a certain bar the wait staff touches me hoping to get a tip, little do they know i dont like them touching me and will avoid them if at all possible.

Theres a difference in touching prepuberty girls and those that are post puberty! Its thai culture they are touchy people. Every time i go to a certain bar the wait staff touches me hoping to get a tip, little do they know i dont like them touching me and will avoid them if at all possible.

Isn't this an excerpt from "A Portrait of a Sex Tourist"?