If I Want To Claim Tourist Tax Back

MaiDong

From what I gather you must have the vat tax form (not just the receipt but the legitimate vat tax form & have the item with you . Otherwise they have no way of accepting this as a tourist buy. Or a legitimate goods sold if you are a permanent resident & just bought something & are leaving the country. The vat tax thing is done at the airport. Give yourself a little more time at the airport 10 more minutes to go through.

well it's a little bit more complex than I made out in the OP, my mate had to buy a new hard drive for his Mac, he's got a receipt and he is leaving the country and he's not a resident here, just passing through on his way to Vietnam, whilst he was here he bought a laptop for someone and he was wondering if he could claim on that too - the laptop is not leaving the country with him...

In the 30+ times I have claimed VAT, I have never been checked BUT you do realize you may be in trouble if they do check, don't you? Don't know the specific law you'd break, but it would be somewhere along the lines of tax evasion, fraud, etc. Worth the few Baht? Your call.

In the 30+ times I have claimed VAT, I have never been checked BUT you do realize you may be in trouble if they do check, don't you? Don't know the specific law you'd break, but it would be somewhere along the lines of tax evasion, fraud, etc. Worth the few Baht? Your call.

It's a difficult one because the Mac hard drive is new and it's inside his MacBook :o

I'll advise him not to try with the new laptop he bought - not worth the potential trouble is it...

then why do you think he would be entitled? oh, wait you don't

Why do you think? Because he bought a new hard drive for his Mac - as said above :o

because the OP added:

'well it's a little bit more complex than I made out in the OP, my mate had to buy a new hard drive for his Mac, he's got a receipt and he is leaving the country and he's not a resident here, just passing through on his way to Vietnam, whilst he was here he bought a laptop for someone and he was wondering if he could claim on that too - the laptop is not leaving the country with him...'

Why do you think? Because he bought a new hard drive for his Mac - as said above :o

because the OP added:

'well it's a little bit more complex than I made out in the OP, my mate had to buy a new hard drive for his Mac, he's got a receipt and he is leaving the country and he's not a resident here, just passing through on his way to Vietnam, whilst he was here he bought a laptop for someone and he was wondering if he could claim on that too - the laptop is not leaving the country with him...'

I don't understand your point :D

because the OP added:

I don't understand your point :D

he bought the laptop for someone else and is not taking it with him - so not entitled to a vat refund