Where To Buy Buddha Sculptures

Svenn

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on finding cheaper, larger sized Buddha scultpures in Thailand or Bangkok. I know of the shops near the King's palace (called the amulet market in books?), that are full to the be brink with cast iron sculptures, from Chinese to Khmer. But I'm looking maybe for big wooden, cement, or plaster Buddhas like life-size... something cheap. It would be nice if it was Khmer style, but that's kind of hard to find I assume. This Hindu god would be the most interesting to have, discovered in ancient Khmer Isanapura (Isaan?):

vajimukha.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on finding cheaper, larger sized Buddha scultpures in Thailand or Bangkok. I know of the shops near the King's palace (called the amulet market in books?), that are full to the be brink with cast iron sculptures, from Chinese to Khmer. But I'm looking maybe for big wooden, cement, or plaster Buddhas like life-size... something cheap. It would be nice if it was Khmer style, but that's kind of hard to find I assume. This Hindu god would be the most interesting to have, discovered in ancient Khmer Isanapura (Isaan?):

I may very well be overly sensitive, but I find it a little insulting that you are looking for a cheap Buddha.

For an authentic Buddha I would suggest some of the shops near Wat Suthat.

I may very well be overly sensitive, but I find it a little insulting that you are looking for a cheap Buddha.

For an authentic Buddha I would suggest some of the shops near Wat Suthat.

no worries :o , but what exactly is an 'authentic' Buddha? one blessed by such-and-such monk so it's price is inflated? I'm talking about sculptures here, not the Buddha himself. It's going to be used in our new house in Isaan for genuine purposes, not as a fashion figurine... we don't have much money.

no worries :o , but what exactly is an 'authentic' Buddha? one blessed by such-and-such monk so it's price is inflated? I'm talking about sculptures here, not the Buddha himself. It's going to be used in our new house in Isaan for genuine purposes, not as a fashion figurine... we don't have much money.

As I said, wander through the shops around Wat Suthat. Take a Thai with you, if possible. I've yet to be in a Thai home, no matter how simple, that does not have a relatively "nice" Buddha. If a poor Thai can afford one, so can you. But don't say to a shop owner that you are looking for a "cheap" Buddha.

It's a bit of a trek but in Cambodia on the road from Poipet to seam reap they have many road side shops selling life size stone Buddha.

yes i've seen them, anyone ever bought one before? plaster would be better for my budget i think.

You may have been looking in the wrong place at the Amulet Market. I am speaking of the old Amulet Market which is just south of Wat Mahathat and not the newer one near the Temple of the Golden Mount (Wat Saket).

The little shops and street sellers along the Soi ( can't remember the name but it's the one that leads straight to and from Tha Pra Chan) only sell amulets and smaller Buddha images. Back in the larger market area in between Tha Chang and Tha Pra Chan (boat piers) on the Chao Praya river you will find numerous shops that sell (rent in the local vernacular) larger metal, stone, concrete and wooden Buddha images. You need to walk past all the amulet stalls and look further in the back closer to the river.

BTW, there's many great little hole in the wall restaurants back there too.

Edited by Groongthep

I've yet to be in a Thai home, no matter how simple, that does not have a relatively "nice" Buddha

beg to differ petharoi. hubby is ex monk. we have a small 'cheapy' bronze buddha that i bought in israel from some 'asia' fair (tibet nepal thailand blablabla) that was held once. hubby couldnt care less as long as it 'looks' nice and fits on the shelf above our bed. u buy what u can afford or as was mentioned 'rent' buddha figurines. most houses ive seen dont have anything but an old picture of some phra loong or whomever that is given away free for advertising by banks etc, glued up on the wall along with a picture of HM, from a calendar- usually the only pics put up on the wall, same as with most of the thai workers here do. price or material never seemed to be that important. of course expensive solid gold is a status symbol but i suspect for svenn and his partner, the price and material is less important than the 'intent'. hubby managed to 'wai phra' w/o figurine above the bed as he was living at his work and the owners would have had a fit to have a buddha up on a shelf in their office (religious jews -no false idols etc!). so anon just put a pic up over his head in night time, one that i had printed out from the 'net. it is the intent. not the object.

bina

israel

vajimukha.jpg

The horse-headed deity is Kalki.

I've yet to be in a Thai home, no matter how simple, that does not have a relatively "nice" Buddha

beg to differ petharoi. hubby is ex monk. we have a small 'cheapy' bronze buddha that i bought in israel from some 'asia' fair (tibet nepal thailand blablabla) that was held once. hubby couldnt care less as long as it 'looks' nice and fits on the shelf above our bed. u buy what u can afford or as was mentioned 'rent' buddha figurines. most houses ive seen dont have anything but an old picture of some phra loong or whomever that is given away free for advertising by banks etc, glued up on the wall along with a picture of HM, from a calendar- usually the only pics put up on the wall, same as with most of the thai workers here do. price or material never seemed to be that important. of course expensive solid gold is a status symbol but i suspect for svenn and his partner, the price and material is less important than the 'intent'. hubby managed to 'wai phra' w/o figurine above the bed as he was living at his work and the owners would have had a fit to have a buddha up on a shelf in their office (religious jews -no false idols etc!). so anon just put a pic up over his head in night time, one that i had printed out from the 'net. it is the intent. not the object.

bina

israel

I quite agree that it is the intent. You have inadvertently made my point for me when you said, "u buy what u can afford". If you are a rich man and you hang up a Xerox copy of a Buddha, I would say you are showing no respect for the image of Buddha. But, that same rich man might be better to find a modest Buddha statue and the contribute funds or things to a temple or other worthy cause.

vajimukha.jpg

The horse-headed deity is Kalki.

Or an ancient rendition of Joe Camel. :o

post-23727-1240723187_thumb.jpg

vajimukha.jpg

Isanapura (Chenla) was a pre-Angkorian Khmer capital from the 7th century, located in central Cambodia around 120 kms from Siem Reap; the location is nowadays called Sambor Prei Kuk. A complete reconnaissance survey was completed in 2005, but the ruins are well known since the last hundred years. A plan of the temple ruins can be found here: http://www.canbypublications.com/maps/SR-SamborMap.htm

The statue shown is Vajimukha and it was found indeed in Sambor Prei Kuk. It is located nowadays in the Guimet Museum in Paris, who actually also have a current exposition about Dvaravati art until May 29, 2009. More here: http://www.guimet.fr/

Vajimukha may portray two aspects of Vishnu: Hayagriva or Kalkin. He is represented here with a horses head and a human body, continuing the traditional appearance of the deity formulated centuries early in ancient India. His head is adorned by a diadem held in place by his two upright ears and tied with a square knot in the back.

post-27357-1240749482_thumb.jpg

You may have been looking in the wrong place at the Amulet Market. I am speaking of the old Amulet Market which is just south of Wat Mahathat and not the newer one near the Temple of the Golden Mount (Wat Saket).

The little shops and street sellers along the Soi ( can't remember the name but it's the one that leads straight to and from Tha Pra Chan) only sell amulets and smaller Buddha images. Back in the larger market area in between Tha Chang and Tha Pra Chan (boat piers) on the Chao Praya river you will find numerous shops that sell (rent in the local vernacular) larger metal, stone, concrete and wooden Buddha images. You need to walk past all the amulet stalls and look further in the back closer to the river.

BTW, there's many great little hole in the wall restaurants back there too.

Yes, directly across the street from the main entrance to Wat Mahathat, there's an alley that runs all the way back to the river.. it's full of small shops selling Buddha statues and images.. concrete, wood, plaster. I think you could find what you want there...