Mazda Miata - A Girly Car?

Sir Burr

Was thinking of getting a couple of Mazda Miatas one each for the missus and I.

Talking with people here in Phuket and the general consensus is that it's OK for the missus, but, a bloke looks a bit of a prat in one and that I should reconsider. Seems it's considered a bit of a girly car.

What's the consensus here?

Was thinking of getting a couple of Mazda Miatas one each for the missus and I.

Talking with people here in Phuket and the general consensus is that it's OK for the missus, but, a bloke looks a bit of a prat in one and that I should reconsider. Seems it's considered a bit of a girly car.

What's the consensus here?

You must be well seeded if you thinking about a couple miata's as I recall that they are around 2 million here.Nevertheless I don't see the point of buying 2 identical cars for 1 family.In my opinion they are not to girly if you dress it up a bit nice.Had once 2 of them myself but that was at the time that they were introduced in europe and very limited available so you could sell it at a premium to the new price.

I'd have one - and not care what anyone thought about it.

Whilst they are definitely popular with women, I know several men at home in Canada who drive them.

IMO - Anyone whose masculinity is threatened by a sports car is probably long overdue for a trip to the dress shop in the first place.

The image is a bit hair dresser (but who cares what others think).. But the car itself is a solid little rear wheel driver and despite it not being very powerful (it hardly needs to be on these roads) its a pretty nicely handling car when pushed to the edges of traction.. A buddy had a beater of one in the UK (the joy of cheap fun cars) and we could really rip it round country roads with the tail end loose.. Lots of fun.

Theres a few second hand at the moment.. I missed a steal of a deal on one with a hard top (oldest model) for 350 or so a year or two back. I would own one as a second motor / toy car no problem.. Would be an upgrade from mine now anyway...

If your looking new higher prices and want a 2 seat sportser I would also look to see what the ballpark is on s2000.. Big upgrade but I suspect rarer and deeper pockets.

Other than the price, I'd be happy to drive one anywhere. Actually I'd be happy driving an open top Suzuki 4X4. Anything with an open top give me the ultimate freedom because my Thai wife refuses to ride in an open top vehicle.

At 2.4 million X 2, I don't reckon they're very good value. After all is said and done, they are still rice-rockets and a bit poseur.

Instead of getting two, I'll spend the money on one really nice car, maybe something Teutonic.

Thanks for your opinions.

At 2.4 million X 2, I don't reckon they're very good value. After all is said and done, they are still rice-rockets and a bit poseur.

Instead of getting two, I'll spend the money on one really nice car, maybe something Teutonic.

Just a few weeks ago I noticed 3 different MX5s for sale in the Phuket Gazette. 2 on Phuket Island, red one 2 years old, expensive at 1.7mil if 1.8 model. Yellow one, 7 years old, expensive at 1.4 mil (I've met the Thai lady owner). Another one on Samui. Surprised me to see 3 for sale locally, in the same week.

Second hand cars are not worth it in Thailand.

For just a bit more, you can get a new car with all the warranties.

Normally I would agree with you, but I did'nt what to spend that much money on a fun car in Thailand. Bought mine 2 years old, 34K on the clock, one year warranty left, for 1.25 Mil. After 15 months, no problems, just routine services. If you buy a Mazda, word of advice, forget Mazda Main Dealer in Phuket, a waste of time & space.

Agree.

That other poster's ABBA comment made me laugh out loud.

If you wanted one car instead of 2 (and still wanted a convertible), spending 4.8 million could buy you a BMW 320i Convert (I would say chick car but with that folding hard-top I must say I like...), a Merc SLK200, or a Volvo C70, all (IIRC) come in at around 4.xx million.

Yes, overpriced surely, but so was the MX5 (Hasn't the MX5/Miata been the "cheapest convertible in America for xxxxxx years running" (while it sells for 2.4 million THB here)? We had Miatas in our Prom parade in High School. Chick car - definitely.

I love convertibles. But I think if you don't care about the pricing, and 4.8 million is your budget, then you can't go wrong with the choices I listed above. TV member corkscrew has an SLK. The new C70 is nice and different, and the top drops in style. Plus, with the Volvo, you have more (easier) tuning options as it's turbocharged, while the other 2 are not.... drop in a new ECU in that C70, dial the boost up to 1.5 bar and you're gonna have a drop-top that'll kill the little 2.0 Bimmers...

Otherwise I'd vote for Toyota Harrier/Lexus RX as the best all-rounder in that price range. Not a 'vert, but it's got a huge moonroof and it's just good car period.

P.S. Let the missus walk :D If your pimp hand is strong, then balls to the wall BMW 650i Convertible for something like 13 million.... but strong your pimp hand must be, young padawan :o

Its NOT a sports car. It's a convertible. I imagine girls will impressed because they know nothing about cars and guys will think you are a loser. Of course, you should only care about what you yourself think and not the opinions of others. But seriously, the entire allure of the car is that it looks like a sports car and is a convertible. All style and no substance. That's why its known as a girl's car.

2.0 L 167 HP....

Its too bad the locally produced Asian brands don't have a low cost equivalent to the Ford Mustang or Dodge Challenger or Camaro even. You are basically stuck with only European imports, which are taxed like a mother f***er.

Doesn't have to be a girly car....not from all the info you can get from a simple web search.

Lots of mods can make em into a missile!

223331.jpg

That one didn't last long! But there are a few around.

223700.jpg

More than a few with turbo's too!

its a modern classic roadster.

If you need a car to convey your manliness then your already in trouble. If you want a great car that is fun to drive, and economic on gas then go no further.

Its not a midlife crisis car by no means, unless your a ex autocross racer and you want to tackle some twisties on your way home everyday!

It has been reviewed as a girls car, however we live in Thailand and the options for a reasonably priced sports car are limited.

Why are they so bloody expensive compared to any other Mazda - are they not manufactured in Asia and imported under ASEAN free trade rules? My wife's Mazda Protege is made in the Philippines and at the time was no more expensive than any other Japanese car

While a bit gutless in stock guise, it is a fun car all the same. Girls car or not, if they were priced like any other domestically produced or ASEAN import, then I would buy one

Unless its the MAZDASPEED version, the Miata is a girlie car. I would never drive one back home (unless its the Mazdaspeed version).

And having a soft top in BKK???? Might as wel stick my head in a bus's tailpipe