Automatic Mains Failure Switching

A. BOOZER

Nearing completion of a new build property in an area of Rayong (Ban Chang) well know for power cuts, I have purchased a 10 Kwa generator, which I would like to have linked to an automated switching system, so that the unit will start after a mains failure. I was wondering if anyone has experience of such a system, knowledge of any individual or company capable of installing the appropriate equipment and any idea what sort of cost might be involved?

I'll move this to DIY.

Member genset has experience of these things so would possibly be worth a PM.

Does your genset have an automatic start system (connect a load and it starts)?

This site has some useful equipment and diagrams for connection http://www.gencontrol.co.uk/index.html

Crossy. Many thanks for the reply and the link. No the generator currently has a key start, which I would have thought was easily changed, but on the other hand, I am absolutely useless with electrics, changing a light bulb or fuse, is about the limit of my ability!

Crossy. Many thanks for the reply and the link. No the generator currently has a key start, which I would have thought was easily changed, but on the other hand, I am absolutely useless with electrics, changing a light bulb or fuse, is about the limit of my ability!

Someone with decent DIY knowledge can install this sort of kit, but truthfully I'd leave it to the pro's if you're limit is fuses and light bulbs. Sadly I've not found any companies in BKK who have this knowledge, the man at our local genset shop looked blank and then recommended I use a lead with a plug on each end to connect, arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!

If you have a unit with a key start / stop you'll need an engine controller to manage starting and stopping, something like this:-

post-14979-1240998315_thumb.jpg

Manages the number of start re-tries, protects from over speed, shuts the engine off if there's low oil pressure or overheating.

You'll also need a mains monitor and automatic transfer switch to tell the genset when to start and switch it into circuit, then turn it all off when the power returns:-

post-14979-1240998446_thumb.jpg

If you can understand these diagrams (both from the site referenced in my previous post) then you stand a good chance of being able to make this work DIY.

Do be aware that even the small gensets have the potential to kill, if you're not sure don't try!!

I'll move this to DIY.

Member genset has experience of these things so would possibly be worth a PM.

Does your genset have an automatic start system (connect a load and it starts)?

This site has some useful equipment and diagrams for connection http://www.gencontrol.co.uk/index.html

Hi Kevin,

First of all, thanks to Crossy for the reference.

Kevin, I manufacture generators and control systems in the UK. As long as your generator has a fuel solenoid, starter solenoid operating on a 12/24v dc supply, it will be no problem to fit an Automatic Mains Failure system. As you suggested the key start is a minor issue. I do have a few other questions regarding the generator and alternator make, and I am presuming it is single phase.

I have just received your PM and will respond to the address you provided.

Regards,

Genset.