Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Exporting a Thai bike (forever)

Hi,

I am looking to export my Thai registered bike, I am not sure where to find info on the process/cost.

I know that for a temporary export permi (to visit Laos or Cambodia for example), I can get 30 days (potentially can be extended) and if I go over that, it's 1,000THB / day, capped at 10k THB. But what if I never want to come back? I want to go as far as possible with my bike, ideally to Europe but might have to stop earlier. I will either sell the bike (if the country I'm in allows it) or just scrape it for parts. But it's not going back to Thailand for sure.

Anyone has any info?

I'd be "happy" to pay the 10k fine for never returning but I want to make sure that there's not more complications / legal implications.

Thanks!

Why do you want to export a Thai motorbike? You want to register it in your final destination? In Europe, you will not manage to register your bike, without major modifications to make it EU legal

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Skoumalody said:

Really? But then why would there be penalties if you go over the temporary export limit of 30 days?

The fees could be something to with bringing it back in to Thailand. As OP say's, it's not coming back to Thailand, so no issue.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Why do you want to export a Thai motorbike? You want to register it in your final destination? In Europe, you will not manage to register your bike, without major modifications to make it EU legal

I live in Thailand for now. Moving back to Europe. Not sure I have more options. I agree making it EU legal sounds like a major hassle, most likely I will sell it for parts. And that is if I make it to EU, I might get stuck somewhere in central Asia because of visa issues / borders closing etc.

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

The fees could be something to with bringing it back in to Thailand. As OP say's, it's not coming back to Thailand, so no issue.

Noted, thanks!

Edited by Skoumalody

1 hour ago, Skoumalody said:

I live in Thailand for now. Moving back to Europe. Not sure I have more options. I agree making it EU legal sounds like a major hassle, most likely I will sell it for parts. And that is if I make it to EU, I might get stuck somewhere in central Asia because of visa issues / borders closing etc.

Noted, thanks!

I did check what to do with my bike, if I made a one way euro trip, and even it is a popular model back home, it was not worth it, even I ride it just for my trip. Easier to ship it back to Thailand and sell it here. 

• Haha 1

It's just a CRF 300, after that trip it will probably be worth 2000 euros or so (they cost a little over 3000eur new in Thailand).

Pretty sure I can recover at least 1000 eur for parts. If I lose the remaining 1000eur because I'm selling parts and not a licensed bike, it's fine, it's a fair price for a rental over 6+ months. Not worth going through the hassle of shipping / having to sell again in Thailand just for this (might make more sense for bigger/pricier bikes though)

• Agree 1

Temporary export is that your bringing the bike back.thats why the penalty,if not coming back, I think you have to deal with each country you visit,some want export permits some don't.

On 3/18/2024 at 8:14 AM, Hummin said:

Not sure that's correct but it would depend on which country the OP wants to export his bike to. Is there no distinction between commercial and personal imports in the EU?

For the UK:

I used to import cars and there were major differences between what was required for a commercial import and a personal import - basically all you had to do for a personal import is make sure it passed a UK MOT test and pay duties.  An import has to pass an MOT under rules as they stoood when it was first manufactured. Type Appoval regulations used to apply but only to commercial imports and had to be applied for from the manufacturer.  If no Type Approval existed for that particular model, it could not be registered in the UK. A mate of mine who was in the same business once got stuck with about 5 Opel Corsa's.  That model was actually called a Vauxhall Nova in the UK at the time - no Type Approval existed for a Corsa, even though they were the same car and could be ordered from Europe in right hand drive form (minor trim differences). He eventually got that sorted through importing them through Ireland, Northern Ireland and then on to the UK but I doubt he made a bean on them in the end.

My ER6 in Thailand is identical to a UK bought bike. Even the digital speedometer can be switched to miles per hour so as far as I know, it will pass a UK MOT.

I know there have been some changes to the rules but I don't think a personal import is particularly difficult, there are plenty of US bikes still being shipped to the UK.

The thing the OP has to consider is that there will be VAT and import duty to pay.  No Idea of those rates in the EU but for the UK - VAT is currently 20% and import duty is 8% under 250cc and 6% for over 250cc.  Duties are levied on the total import value, including shipping costs. When I was importing cars the duties were based on the invoice price which could be, shall we say, 'adjusted'.  However, these days I believe they use trade guides such as Glass's for values.

Unless we are talking about a particular model that is either very expensive, has sentimental value or is not available in the country he wants to export it to, its probably not worth the hassle. If the same model is available where he plans to take his bike, shipping, VAT and import duties will probably wipe out any saving he may be hoping to make - if that's his aim.

EDIT:

Just seen the OP's reply that he's not intending to register the bike abroad - I'll leave the above information in place as it may be useful for others.

No idea what his position will be - almost certain that he will be able to ride it into the EU as a visitor without any duties but there will no doubt be a time limit after which duties may have to be paid.  Considering the amount of movements of vehicles between different EU states, I'm not sure how they could check on that.

Edited by MangoKorat

On 3/17/2024 at 6:13 PM, papa al said:

Ther is no fee for exporting a bike via land x-ing.

E.g. Laos , Cambo.

If you just go I think there would be no problems w/ Thailand

On 3/18/2024 at 2:54 PM, papa al said:

Yes.

To my knowledge, there aren't.

Maybey wrong, but

doubt it.

Up to you.

Papa should not comment if papa don't know. 

He will be asked for money at the border, it's bribe money which he must pay to proceed. 

I've taken motorbikes across the border, had all the paperwork, books in order but sadly I was asked for money and money was paid to the border authorities. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST