Painting The House

Painting the house inside. What is important to know. Does it matter a lot what kind of paint to use? Is a place like Homemart expensive or reliable? How much to pay per hourly wager for a professionel worker? Anything that needs to be known?

Thanks

Harry

kind of paint : first you need "alkali resistant primer", then any colour of your liking (careful they always are different then they look in the catalogues) two layers

homemart : that's not a chain, every shop has different owners, they just take the same name - some good, some not so

per hour : that depends on the region you are in : isaan - cheap, pattaya, bkk - expensive

but if you are painting, that means, your house is finished, why not stick with the shop where you have been buying before? - maybe theyknow guys who are good and not too expensive.

i would rather find someone and make a deal (and price) for the whole house - asking other farangs in the area?

Painting the house inside. What is important to know. Does it matter a lot what kind of paint to use? Is a place like Homemart expensive or reliable? How much to pay per hourly wager for a professionel worker? Anything that needs to be known?

Thanks

Harry

I am just done painting my house inside now.

All stuff baught at homepro.

1 X 20l. SuperCote oilpaint is 1340baht.

I counted a bit wrong , so i baught 60l. paint....more than enough for 3 houses, hehe.

All in all it will cost you around 3000baht in supplies to paint inside, i guess.

If you dont wanna do it you'rself, be careful to find someone who take for the job, not per hour/day. Then it will be done quickly.

Thanks for all the answers...

What I need to get painted is a 1-storey 3 bedroom house. I was thinking of doing it myself. I have found some paint called TOA, costing about 300 baht for 1 gallon. This can paint up to 35-40 square meters of wall. I am moving in to a house where somebody has lived before. The walls are a bit dirty and I want to take care of this.

1) How many times will I need to paint the house, will one time be enough?

2) Is the price for paint ok, 300 baht for 1 gallon and does anybody have any experiences with TOA?

3) Is painting the house yourself a bad idea when doing it the first time?

4) Is there anything else I need to think of when painting myself like news papers on the floor, tape on floor panels etc. ?

Thanks

Harry :o

It's the outside painting that I have a problem with. The stuff keeps peeling off,      :o whatever brand I use.  Anybody has suggestions?

Try a good hydroblast (high pressure water spray) to get rid of the old crap first, and get back to a good surface for the new paint to adhere to.

It's the outside painting that I have a problem with. The stuff keeps peeling off,      :o whatever brand I use.  Anybody has suggestions?

Keep the paint thin and do it twice. If you try to cover with one coat it is likely to peel easily.

Also have used both TOA and ICI paints and had much better results for long lasting with ICI. There are new TOA premium paints that may be better than what I have used in the past however. I would pay for the best as you do not want to have to do again in a short while - yourself - of trying to clean up after the workers do it.

Cover everything and make sure they clean up before the paint dries. Remove or cover all switches and outlets or they will become painted and/or pools of paint and shorted. I would buy and use, or show how to use, masking tape as they will not use otherwise and you will have borders that look like a tsunami.

Thanks for all the answers...

What I need to get painted is a 1-storey 3 bedroom house. I was thinking of doing it myself. I have found some paint called TOA, costing about 300 baht for 1 gallon. This can paint up to 35-40 square meters of wall. I am moving in to a house where somebody has lived before. The walls are a bit dirty and I want to take care of this.

1) How many times will I need to paint the house, will one time be enough?

2) Is the price for paint ok, 300 baht for 1 gallon and does anybody have any experiences with TOA?

3) Is painting the house yourself a bad idea when doing it the first time?

4) Is there anything else I need to think of when painting myself like news papers on the floor, tape on floor panels etc. ?

Thanks

Harry  :o

Clean the walls with sugar soap.....repair any cracks and holes using a filler such as spak filler....TOA is ok but you will need a Matt finish at least...must be washable, Lo sheen or eggshell is better.

Get some old sheets or blankets to protect the floor, Paper will just rip, Cut in around switches rather than tape....put a slip of tape on top of the switches to stop any throw off from the roller.

When painting cut in your edges and corners in small sections, say about 6 ft at a time, top and bottom, then roll that area in....this will prevent picture framing from the cut in drying out before you can roll into it. Two coats should be sufficient on pre painted walls....unpainted walls will need an oil based undercoat....a thinned out enamel paint would be ok. Then 2 coats of water based on top

In Thailand I would use a semi gloss enamel for door frames, window frames etc...

any bare metal parts will need a primer.

Try to paint on a day when the humidity is low and any mouldy areas will need a bleach wash and then a through rinse and allowed to dry fully......A simple moisture test is to tape a small square (4") of plastic to the wall and leave for 24 hours...if you find moisture under the plastic...dont paint.

need any other tips, just ask

Edited by gburns57au

I would say that the humidity is the problem, but hard to say with out seeing it...is it peeling off in patches, is the old paint coming off too, is it pre painted or bare wall, Because it is happening with all brands, it would suggest that the surface or the prep work is at fault.

to erwin : get the old stuff off as best as possible - hydroblast is certainly faster and more efficient than manual scrapping.

than get good paint : 4 seasons outside paint (water resistant) has good results, but quite expensif (last year around 2500 a gallon, if i'm not wrong) - two layers, and don't forget that you need thinning liquid to mix the paint!!!

to potter : forget primer, if it was painted, but i would recommend professionals, they know better how to prepare the walls (scrapping, flattening, filling little scraps etc), and if you don't want to redo it soon, better spend more money and get quality paint.

If your paint outside keeps peeling off. Waterblast or scrape and brush all the loose stuff off. Let the concrete dry up for a few days. The concrete usually absorbs water from the bottom and it then creeps it's way upwards. Dig a few inches below ground level (for a fence) and apply a sealer onto the concrete before applying the paint. Sealer will flake off if it's applied on top of old flaky paint.

TOA is not really a top notch brand.

Jotun and ICI sell quality paint, you'll avoid repainting every year.

DO NOT LET THE PAINTER ADD WATER TO THE PAINT!

Most of the painters here do it and the recipe is about 50-50! :D

A lot of external flaking is due to this or painting in the rainy season.

For the inside, use a semi-gloss, easy to wash. Stay away from flat or matt finishes as they scratch and mark easily and are a pain to wash.

They will paint the electrical paint socket plates if you don t tell them not to. Get some tarps to cover stuff and floors near the walls, they won't.

For those who haven't read my previous posts on paint, our house was mistakenly painted "swiming pool" green :D on the inside. I had to repaint all of it. :o

I just used Jotun Matt Finish paint from HomePro.. to paint a deep blue over a white wall..

AMAZING paint..! 1 Coat was fine.. and I'm PICKY! It's really good.

Btw, how on earth do you explain the concept of "Wood Primer" to Thai's...?? No-one seems to understand what I'm on about..

And, Gloss Paint that's not oil-based... do they have that.?? As soon as you mention Gloss out comes the oil-based smelly enamel. The you say no.. not oil-based.. and they go blank.

ChrisP

And, Gloss Paint that's not oil-based... do they have that.?? As soon as you mention Gloss out comes the oil-based smelly enamel. The you say no.. not oil-based.. and they go blank.

ChrisP

Yes there is. I have some leftover cans here, all from Jotun and glossy, GLAZE, MAJESTIC, JOTA FLEX.

Oil based paint is good for exterior wood doors, window frames, washroom door.

exterior....on new houses use a clear sealer..usually water based followed by a good oil based undercoat then 1 or 2 coats of a semi-gloss acrylic.

................on old houses make sure you blast away any loose or flaking paint..use bleach if you have a mould problem then apply undercoat and finish as per new house.

interiors.....clean with sugar soap..repair cracks etc..same treatment for mould then repaint..semi-gloss acrylic (easy to clean and wears well)

remember that most paint jobs are only as good as the preparation...!!

if you get it right you should only need to wash it down and repaint with 1 coat every 5-7 years...

ChrisP

Yes there is. I have some leftover cans here, all from Jotun and glossy, GLAZE, MAJESTIC, JOTA FLEX.

Oil based paint is good for exterior wood doors, window frames, washroom door.

You can get water based semi glosses....the problem is that it gets soft in hot weather and you will find that windows and doors will start sticking.... If you are painting areas of high moisture, eg; bathrooms and kitchens...use a higher sheen water based paint, Lo sheen etc...Matt will be fine for bedrooms and living areas unless you have kids and need something more washable.

Dont dilute any paint by more than 5%..especially if you are using a fairly bright colour as dilution will also dilute the colour....and if you are using it for a primer or undercoat...but even then never by more than 10%....

Edited by gburns57au