Irishman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs Arrest

sriracha john

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police said he also had on him 52,000 Thai baht (£1,107).

“He is a major drugs dealer in Pattaya,” said Police Colonel Jutkate.

lol, i hardly think you can be considered a "major drug deal" when your 48 and still dealing out of you car to teenagers (watch out cartels, here comes Thomas McAuley). With his fat roll of 52,000 baht.

And where the heck are they getting their currency conversions? Is the GBP really that sh*t now?

another one very niave.Do you think he would go out on his motorbike then.Where does it say he is only dealing with teenagers.There could be some squealing going on soon and maybe some more farangs implicated,or maybei am niave????

I'm not sure what you mean about going out on his motorbike?

McAuley, born in Belfast but an Irish passport holder, is accused by police of selling drugs to teenagers in the resort city.

It says right here, in the article, that he was accused of dealing to teenagers. And if you actually read my post you will see that i did not say he "only" deals to teenagers.

Edited by dave111223

a remark to those who might want voice a different opinion about prison conditions in Bangkok.

I was working a few years as a volunteer social worker in both prisons - Lard Yao and Bangkwan and IDC too.

got some good stories to tell....

Thought Social Workers respected privacy - even volunteer ones.

You are just dying to drop the dirt, just like that moron Fellows.

They laugh at him in Bangkwang and Klongprem - just too far fetched to be true.

a remark to those who might want voice a different opinion about prison conditions in Bangkok.

I was working a few years as a volunteer social worker in both prisons - Lard Yao and Bangkwan and IDC too.

got some good stories to tell....

Thought Social Workers respected privacy - even volunteer ones.

You are just dying to drop the dirt, just like that moron Fellows.

They laugh at him in Bangkwang and Klongprem - just too far fetched to be true.

Read my post. I said "got some stories to tell..." and this was meant about prison CONDITIONS not individuals who are incarcerated!

Have you ever visited someone in those prisons you mention in your post? I don't think so!I recommend you to read my other 2 postings on that matter. Simply turn

to page one.

Edited by webfact

Drugs bust man facing execution

A Belfast man could be facing a death sentence in Thailand after being arrested and accused of dealing in a cocktail of drugs in a beach resort.

Thomas McAuley, 48, was allegedly caught in a police sting operation in the Thai resort of Pattaya, 100 miles east of Bangkok this week. Thai police say he was dealing in crystal ice, methamphetamines, known locally as 'yaa baa' — the mad drug — and also opium and cannabis.

McAuley, born in Belfast but an Irish passport holder, is accused by police of selling drugs to teenagers in the resort city.

During a press conference, police Colonel Somnut Jutkate said: "He dealt the drugs from his Toyota Fortuna (a sports utility vehicle). After receiving information we put him under surveillance."

He said Thai police had used an informant to buy a quantity of drugs valued at 6,000 Thai baht (approximately £115).

Police said when he was arrested McAuley had 109 grams of crystal ice in his possession, in two packets.

They said he was also in possession of seven tabs of methamphetamine, 11.4 grams of cannabis, and 12 grams of opium as well as a set of scales and 60 bags.

"He is a major drugs dealer in Pattaya," said Police Colonel Jutkate.

McAuley has now been charged with trafficking in Class one and two drugs. The charge of trafficking in Class one drugs carried the death sentence in Thailand, although this is often commuted to life imprisonment for westerners.

If convicted, McAuley will serve his sentence in Bang Kwang Prison, Bangkok, known as 'The Big Tiger'.

People convicted on drugs charges cannot apply for parole or pardons. However, he could be deported after serving one third of his sentence through a prisoner repatriation treaty.

- The Belfast Telegraph / 2009-04-29

I just haft to say i was a Idiot and was caugth with drugs here in Thailand and was send to some thing called babut prison and it was a big one a tell u.

any way so people there wanted to get trafered to the big tiger because it was so mutch better there.

where a was it was 10 blocks one block 10 rooms one room 50 to 52 people in every room.

a can tell u more about that if some one want.

but one block was with called red skirt and they where there for life or death.

and what they told me when they served dont remember how mutch time then they came to the big tiger .

and what a heard they could order food from out side like mc chit and pizza and so on .

even drugs was inside there.

and a tell u all where a was there was nothing of that

oh well, if he did the crime, i hope he's prepared to do the time, anyone stupid enough to do drugs in a land with very draconian drug laws deserves what he's got!!!!!!!! i will look forward to the book he is surely going to write in the future!!!!! :)

You say 'draconian', I say too lenient.

McAuley has now been charged with trafficking in Class one and two drugs. The charge of trafficking in Class one drugs carried the death sentence in Thailand, although this is often commuted to life imprisonment for westerners.

If convicted, McAuley will serve his sentence in Bang Kwang Prison, Bangkok, known as The Big Tiger.

People convicted on drugs charges cannot apply for parole or pardons. However, he could be deported after serving one third of his sentence through a prisoner repatriation treaty.

How do you figure one third of a death sentence or a life imprisonment?

do you know what commuted means

Yes I do. Did you read my post, and the one that I quoted? I even hilighted the relevant portions to make it easy, but I will break it down for you so that this time you might understand:

• The post that I quoted stated that death sentences are often commuted to life imprisonment. I hilighted this because it is relevant to this case, as he was caught for selling class one drugs, for which there is a death penalty in Thailand.
  • It also says that he could be deported after serving one third of his sentence (also hilighted for relevance).
  • If the sentence is commuted to life in prison, and you do not know how long a person will live until after he has already died, my question was how can you estimate one third of the sentence?

I am well aware that the sentence could be further commuted. My question arose because I don't see the point of mentioning that he could be deported after serving one third of his sentence, considering that (as the post is written) this is impossible to estimate accurately in advance.

Your writing style leads me to believe that you might not be a native speaker of English, and if that is the case, your low reading comprehension is understandable and forgivable. However, if that is so, you should try to read more carefully before posting smartass remarks to avoid making yourself look like an ass in front of the whole internet.

Edited by oevna

I still don´t get it...how the hel_l can he, as a farang, sell drugs to thais , especially to undercover police officers?

I stayed in thailand several times and i smell thai police men 200 meters against the wind.

And driving around in pattaya with 108 gramm ice and a digital weight and hundered plastic bags his car LOL

I think it's very unconvincing considering the police are the #1 drug dealers in Thailand (Pattaya...PLEASE!!!). They should have dropped a gun on him just to round the frame out!!!LOL!!!

[Read my post. I said "got some stories to tell..." and this was meant about prison CONDITIONS not individuals who are incarcerated!

Have you ever visited someone in those prisons you mention in your post? I don't think so!I recommend you to read my other 2 postings on that matter. Simply turn

to page one.

That's a bit mean.

I think the other guy got it right - the conditions are as harsh as the latest airport book written on the subject.

Have you been in to Bumbud - now that is bad!

If convicted, McAuley will serve his sentence in Bang Kwang Prison, Bangkok, known as The Big Tiger.

How do you figure one third of a death sentence or a life imprisonment?

do you know what commuted means

Yes I do. Did you read my post, and the one that I quoted? I even hilighted the relevant portions to make it easy, but I will break it down for you so that this time you might understand:

• The post that I quoted stated that death sentences are often commuted to life imprisonment. I hilighted this because it is relevant to this case, as he was caught for selling class one drugs, for which there is a death penalty in Thailand.
  • It also says that he could be deported after serving one third of his sentence (also hilighted for relevance).
  • If the sentence is commuted to life in prison, and you do not know how long a person will live until after he has already died, my question was how can you estimate one third of the sentence?

I am well aware that the sentence could be further commuted. My question arose because I don't see the point of mentioning that he could be deported after serving one third of his sentence, considering that (as the post is written) this is impossible to estimate accurately in advance.

Your writing style leads me to believe that you might not be a native speaker of English, and if that is the case, your low reading comprehension is understandable and forgivable. However, if that is so, you should try to read more carefully before posting smartass remarks to avoid making yourself look like an ass in front of the whole internet.

i like that,are you american then

A Belfast man could be facing a death sentence in Thailand after being arrested and accused of dealing in a cocktail of drugs in a beach resort.

Thomas McAuley, 48, was allegedly caught in a police sting operation in the Thai resort of Pattaya, 100 miles east of Bangkok this week. Thai police say he was dealing in crystal ice, methamphetamines, known locally as 'yaa baa' — the mad drug — and also opium and cannabis.

During a press conference, police Colonel Somnut Jutkate said: "He dealt the drugs from his Toyota Fortuna (a sports utility vehicle). After receiving information we put him under surveillance."

He said Thai police had used an informant to buy a quantity of drugs valued at 6,000 Thai baht (approximately £115).

Police said when he was arrested McAuley had 109 grams of crystal ice in his possession, in two packets.

They said he was also in possession of seven tabs of methamphetamine, 11.4 grams of cannabis, and 12 grams of opium as well as a set of scales and 60 bags.

"He is a major drugs dealer in Pattaya," said Police Colonel Jutkate.

If convicted, McAuley will serve his sentence in Bang Kwang Prison, Bangkok, known as 'The Big Tiger'.

I just haft to say i was a Idiot and was caugth with drugs here in Thailand and was send to some thing called babut prison and it was a big one a tell u.

any way so people there wanted to get trafered to the big tiger because it was so mutch better there.

where a was it was 10 blocks one block 10 rooms one room 50 to 52 people in every room.

a can tell u more about that if some one want.

but one block was with called red skirt and they where there for life or death.

and what they told me when they served dont remember how mutch time then they came to the big tiger .

and what a heard they could order food from out side like mc chit and pizza and so on .

even drugs was inside there.

and a tell u all where a was there was nothing of that

what nationality are you,as i didnt understand much of that.

“He is a major drugs dealer in Pattaya,” said Police Colonel Jutkate.

The police believes a street rat moving a little bit more than EUR 1,000 and working from a parked car is a 'major drugs dealer'...

For this statement alone this police colonel should be moved to an inactive post, as he obviously knows nothing about his job.

Also fired should be the journalist printing such nonsense without asking back immediately -- or we could all deduce that there really is no drug problem in Thailand as there are barely any drugs.

This doesn't carry a big sentence at all. He will probably get around 5 years, and go to Klong Prem which is really okay.

I know of a white guy, selling drugs in Thailand, got arrested with 200 yah bah, and about 15 grams of heroin, he was given 4 years plus a 250,000 baht fine (which he does not have to pay, due to being in jail).

I know of a Thai guy who got caught with about 300 yah bah tabs and he got 2 years and 6 months, and no fine.

So, there you go.

When will they ever learn. 'When in Rome do as the Romans do', once again, springs to mind.

I think he was "doing as the Romans do". That's the problem. More fitting is that he must accept the punishment of the Romans as a Roman.

This doesn't carry a big sentence at all. He will probably get around 5 years, and go to Klong Prem which is really okay.

I know of a white guy, selling drugs in Thailand, got arrested with 200 yah bah, and about 15 grams of heroin, he was given 4 years plus a 250,000 baht fine (which he does not have to pay, due to being in jail).

I know of a Thai guy who got caught with about 300 yah bah tabs and he got 2 years and 6 months, and no fine.

So, there you go.

Are you really serious???

You want to read my prediction-

He will be sentenced to death and the court might commute his sentence to life because he pleaded guilty and cooperated with the police...

Silly man... I tell anyone who comes here to visit us... well didn't tell my Mum this... but anyone under 30... DON'T do drugs here... if you get caught it's NOT NICE... but to sell them... duh!!! I hope he doesn't get killed, but being in prison for 22 years could be a bit boring... ah well... he must have counted the cost at some stage and decided that the profit was worth it???????? Nah, still DUH!!!

How many lives did he ruin selling hard drugs? He probably is an addict and has no idea who he has destroyed and doesn't care about anything but the drugs. Its too bad the Thai government has to pay to jail and feed them.

When will they ever learn. 'When in Rome do as the Romans do', once again, springs to mind.

Not sure I understasnd the context of your quote, however it would be interesting to know where he scored his drugs from in the first place....(yes, I've read Bangkok 8 too)