Irishman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs Arrest

sriracha john

Not sure I understand the context of your quote, however it would be interesting to know where he scored his drugs from in the first place....(yes, I've read Bangkok 8 too)

If you are inclined to dabble in drugs, they are extremely easy to find here in Thailand; it is a question of demand. If you now would be inclined to make a business out of it as the last step on the ladder, as a street hustler, all you do is buy a bigger amount, get a discount, and mark it up again.

The amounts he was caught with, in a business sense, were absolutely trivial and easy to source.

That he was obviously inexperienced shows that he had his car loaded with equipment (which makes intent to sell absolutely impossible to deny), did seemingly even the packaging right in front of the customer instead of separating himself from any evidence and only get the drugs brought when the money is there (or have an absolutely tiny amount on location; which means he should not have worked alone). The shops selling fake DVDs here in Patong have sussed this system out, one would have assumed a guy doing serious crime would have thought it through that far. Which means we got an amateur here, and by no means a 'major drugdealer'.

Still, the legal ramifications must have been clear to him; but obviously, they seem to be unclear to our overly excited journalists and whoever out the title up on this thread.

That this guy would receive the maximum penalty is highly unlikely, not only because of the amounts, but because police should have an interest to get the next-higher guy in the supply chain (he might only have a real problem if he was actually in competition to persons with special interests in the police force, but nothing in the facts as presented points in this direction).

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silly man... I tell anyone who comes here to visit us... well didn't tell my Mum this... but anyone under 30... DON'T do drugs here... if you get caught it's NOT NICE... but to sell them... duh!!! I hope he doesn't get killed, but being in prison for 22 years could be a bit boring... ah well... he must have counted the cost at some stage and decided that the profit was worth it???????? Nah, still DUH!!!

I've seen loads of 'tourists' over 30 doing drugs in Thailand.

He's obvously a complete idiot, dealing yaba out of his bloody vigo. I kinda doubt the story released tells the whole picture.

Not sure I understand the context of your quote, however it would be interesting to know where he scored his drugs from in the first place....(yes, I've read Bangkok 8 too)

If you are inclined to dabble in drugs, they are extremely easy to find here in Thailand; it is a question of demand. If you now would be inclined to make a business out of it as the last step on the ladder, as a street hustler, all you do is buy a bigger amount, get a discount, and mark it up again.

The amounts he was caught with, in a business sense, were absolutely trivial and easy to source.

That he was obviously inexperienced shows that he had his car loaded with equipment (which makes intent to sell absolutely impossible to deny), did seemingly even the packaging right in front of the customer instead of separating himself from any evidence and only get the drugs brought when the money is there (or have an absolutely tiny amount on location; which means he should not have worked alone). The shops selling fake DVDs here in Patong have sussed this system out, one would have assumed a guy doing serious crime would have thought it through that far. Which means we got an amateur here, and by no means a 'major drugdealer'.

Still, the legal ramifications must have been clear to him; but obviously, they seem to be unclear to our overly excited journalists and whoever out the title up on this thread.

That this guy would receive the maximum penalty is highly unlikely, not only because of the amounts, but because police should have an interest to get the next-higher guy in the supply chain (he might only have a real problem if he was actually in competition to persons with special interests in the police force, but nothing in the facts as presented points in this direction).

My point was that I doubt the police will try to hunt out and expose the higher rung on the drug ladder for the rather obvious reason that .... I'll let you work that one out for yourself....

the BBC did a 1 hour program on Bang Kwang Prison, it was on YouTube but not anymore...;-(

I've watched that. Terrifying and frightening!

Looked ok to me. Pretty relaxed in fact, apart from the cramped sleeping rooms (if you didn't have money to pay for a bigger room).

If you got the chance to go there with someone during visiting hours I trust you will change your opinion within seconds...

Do you know how that prison is called in Thai? Big Tiger. The Tiger will eat all!

Read the book from an Australian guy who spent 16 years in this h_ell and survived

trust his name was Warren Fellows: The damage done.

W. Fellows admitted in that book he was indeed guilty!

I've read the book "The Damage Done" and agreed it does describe Bang Kwang Prison as a place in h_ell, but do remember that it was during the 1970's. After watching the BBC documentry of Bang Kwang filmed in 2003 i think it has changed somewhat to being more civilised compared to 30 years ago when Warren Fellows was there.

you sell drugs in Thailand you go to jail you know it and everybody knows it. You know how the jail looks like so if you not want to go to that hel_l hole do not sell drugs.

For the innocent i wish Thailand had a "better" place for them so they could not mix with the guilty.

He is guilty and selling drugs in Thailand will get you in problem so just dont. Do not feel sorry for him at all, you know what you are doing.

“'He is a major drugs dealer in Pattaya,' said Police Colonel Jutkate."

This sounds like a bit of exaggeration because the major drugs dealers enjoy protection from the police and military in Thailand and are almost never arrested. This idiot sounds more like retail supplier and he was probably pissing off local dealers who got the police to nab him.

• 2 weeks later...

yet again i ask myself if all those people slaggin him off and sentencing him instead of the courts have even taken any kind of drugs or done anything illegal.. if so SHUT IT....

Poor man's gonna spend along time in a rough place..i nor anybody else should wish that on anbody just for drugs

yet again i ask myself if all those people slaggin him off and sentencing him instead of the courts have even taken any kind of drugs or done anything illegal.. if so SHUT IT....

Poor man's gonna spend along time in a rough place..i nor anybody else should wish that on anbody just for drugs

His goin DOWN! I wish it upon him very much :) what a disgrace a 48yr old sleaze ball pushing hard drugs! sentencing him ? why do you think there are media sessions and re enactments? What do you think is on display? dont worry 2008bangkok there will be hundreds to replace him you will be just fine :D

:)

The guys is an idiot, and at his age he should know better. My heart bleeds.....

Never do drugs Zorro, not my thing... the guy is an idiot and yes he should know better but the punishment should fit the crime...look at this guy here http://www.usp.com.au/fpss/news-thailand/n...hailand130.html who got 2 years for shootin dead somebody else yet somebody who sells drugs to others qho want it will get considerably longer than that...... fair??? you tell me.

Never do drugs Zorro, not my thing... the guy is an idiot and yes he should know better but the punishment should fit the crime...look at this guy here http://www.usp.com.au/fpss/news-thailand/n...hailand130.html who got 2 years for shootin dead somebody else yet somebody who sells drugs to others qho want it will get considerably longer than that...... fair??? you tell me.

It may well not be fair, but the rules are quite clear on drugs. It is however unlikely that he will get the death penalty.

Was`tongue in cheek a non thai would be nuts to carry anything illegal. It only takes one call from a scorned ex and your in the bkk hilton. Has something to do with the AVG overdose per 1 kilo of pure grade heroin. About 140 deaths per kilo I read some where, not to mention the huge drain on medical system etc. Of course Alcohol tops the list but its legall :)

How many lives did he ruin selling hard drugs? He probably is an addict and has no idea who he has destroyed and doesn't care about anything but the drugs. Its too bad the Thai government has to pay to jail and feed them.

Mmmmmm! Pity he was'nt caught in Singapore as thats what he deserves.

hope for him he do his time in bangkwang prison , that place is pretty relaxed for a thai prison compared to others

You mix that with Lard Yao. Bangkwang is considered to be the worst prison in Thailand! Its the "Big Tiger" and guess its on the list of the worlds 10 worst prisons.

They will send you there if your sentence is 20y++.

i don't wish prison on many people. specially not drug dealers. a slap on the rist or a beating would be anough for wrong doers but most people in prison are just people in the wrong place at the wrong time just drawn into the system. how many people can say they have never commitied a crime.

only difference 1 person can do something wrong once and get caught. another person can do that same thing 1000 time and not.

i wish Irish Thomas all the best and hope he can keep his head up.

"Poor man" Poor man indeed, he broke the law and has quite probably been doing so for some time ( very few first offenders are nabbed ). OK, so prison is a rough place so is life is you don't play by the rules, too bad for him, he will learn to survive.( or not as the case may be ).

"just for drugs" you say, have you any idea the affect of drugs on society, I guess not, perhaps one day you will loose a child or family member because of drugs and I'm not just talking death, I'm talking about having their brains F----- up and so on and so forth.

No sympathy for him at all.

"Poor man" Poor man indeed, he broke the law and has quite probably been doing so for some time ( very few first offenders are nabbed ). OK, so prison is a rough place so is life is you don't play by the rules, too bad for him, he will learn to survive.( or not as the case may be ).

"just for drugs" you say, have you any idea the affect of drugs on society, I guess not, perhaps one day you will loose a child or family member because of drugs and I'm not just talking death, I'm talking about having their brains F----- up and so on and so forth.

No sympathy for him at all.

actually through my sorce of information. he is a small time drug runner man who is taking the blame for everyone else who is invloved which is why he is looking at such a harsh penalty. he might have done wrong but he is true to his word. i wish i had people of that loyalty working for me in the building trade. shame he was an out law

Drugs bust man facing execution

A Belfast man could be facing a death sentence in Thailand after being arrested and accused of dealing in a cocktail of drugs in a beach resort.

Thomas McAuley, 48, was allegedly caught in a police sting operation in the Thai resort of Pattaya, 100 miles east of Bangkok this week. Thai police say he was dealing in crystal ice, methamphetamines, known locally as ‘yaa baa’ — the mad drug — and also opium and cannabis.

McAuley, born in Belfast but an Irish passport holder, is accused by police of selling drugs to teenagers in the resort city.

During a press conference, police Colonel Somnut Jutkate said: “He dealt the drugs from his Toyota Fortuna (a sports utility vehicle). After receiving information we put him under surveillance.”

He said Thai police had used an informant to buy a quantity of drugs valued at 6,000 Thai baht (approximately £115).

Police said when he was arrested McAuley had 109 grams of crystal ice in his possession, in two packets.

They said he was also in possession of seven tabs of methamphetamine, 11.4 grams of cannabis, and 12 grams of opium as well as a set of scales and 60 bags.

Police said he also had on him 52,000 Thai baht (£1,107).

“He is a major drugs dealer in Pattaya,” said Police Colonel Jutkate.

McAuley has now been charged with trafficking in Class one and two drugs. The charge of trafficking in Class one drugs carried the death sentence in Thailand, although this is often commuted to life imprisonment for westerners.

If convicted, McAuley will serve his sentence in Bang Kwang Prison, Bangkok, known as ‘The Big Tiger’.

People convicted on drugs charges cannot apply for parole or pardons. However, he could be deported after serving one third of his sentence through a prisoner repatriation treaty.

- The Belfast Telegraph / 2009-04-29

"crystal ice, methamphetamines, known locally as ‘yaa baa’"

that's already wrong. crystal ice is not yaa baa.

but overall very strange, there are enough thais selling to thais from motorbikes for very small margins. why the need for a farang to get involved at all? obviously very short of cash.

hope for him he do his time in bangkwang prison , that place is pretty relaxed for a thai prison compared to others

You mix that with Lard Yao. Bangkwang is considered to be the worst prison in Thailand! Its the "Big Tiger" and guess its on the list of the worlds 10 worst prisons.

They will send you there if your sentence is 20y++.

i don't wish prison on many people. specially not drug dealers. a slap on the rist or a beating would be anough for wrong doers but most people in prison are just people in the wrong place at the wrong time just drawn into the system. how many people can say they have never commitied a crime.

only difference 1 person can do something wrong once and get caught. another person can do that same thing 1000 time and not.

i wish Irish Thomas all the best and hope he can keep his head up.

So you take drugs too,you live at the right place.For your information this guy has been selling drugs for years.He has lived in Pattaya for 7 years.

Some amazing posts on here,trying to excuse this drug dealer.He has had a good life for years on drugs money and its about time he spends years behind bars.Maybe he will name his supplyers,and i am talking many farangs not thais.

He has been enjoying the big money for years,so let him enjoy the nasty prison for years.The guy was fully aware of what will happen if he gets caught.

My guess is that he sold drugs in the UL too,as you dont jsut start selling stuff like that without experience,contacts etc.

He has been enjoying the big money for years,so let him enjoy the nasty prison for years.The guy was fully aware of what will happen if he gets caught.

My guess is that he sold drugs in the UL too,as you dont jsut start selling stuff like that without experience,contacts etc.

lol. selling yaa baa to thai teenagers = big money. get real. he was obviously desperately short of cash. only explanation for dealing "on the street" to thai kidz.

lol. selling yaa baa to thai teenagers = big money. get real. he was obviously desperately short of cash. only explanation for dealing "on the street" to thai kidz.

So you believe the newspapers about him selling to kids????

Think what you want mr know it all,and pm me if you know the guy and know the history,if not shut the fxxxk up as you know nothing big man.Do you live Pattaya or soi khao talo,do you know his customers,do you know anything

Police said he also had on him 52,000 Thai baht (£1,107).

"He is a major drugs dealer in Pattaya," said Police Colonel Jutkate.

lol, i hardly think you can be considered a "major drug deal" when your 48 and still dealing out of you car to teenagers (watch out cartels, here comes Thomas McAuley). With his fat roll of 52,000 baht.

And where the heck are they getting their currency conversions? Is the GBP really that sh*t now?

So you hardly think he is a major drug dealer because he only has 52000 baht in his pocket. So you suggesting he be set free because maybe the police left out word "street" and should have said McAuley was a "major street dealer". Are you saying only 52000 baht in his pocket means he is not a mjor dealer? Maybe you should be saying that at 48 yrs old he was street smart and carried a limited amount of cash and drugs on his person, just enough to do some sales so if caught by police, had chance to not appear a a major street dealer. Or maybe he was smart enough to only carry limited amount of cash so in case another bad guy stuck a gun in his face and took his drugs and drug money, the loss would not be as much. Or then again maybe, the age of the youth was below say 16, adding to the seriousness of the crime. How can anyone in their right, sober mind, stick up for a drug dealer who was caught selling drugs to Thai youth?