Shortage Of Available Positions?

seykota

The popular website for farang teachers has an article regarding a shortage of teaching positions being offered, I am wondering if there are less people needing these positions. The university department that I work in advertised recently and only received 3 applications; a Master degree was stipulated though people rarely let that stop them applying. A university position has a lot in its favour, for example no need for a teaching license, no culture course, no kids.......

I have noticed that there have been fewer positions advertised therefore I assume there must be fewer people interested in teaching in Thailand. Korea's exchange rate has made that a less attractive alternative ..........

The popular website for farang teachers has an article regarding a shortage of teaching positions being offered, I am wondering if there are less people needing these positions. The university department that I work in advertised recently and only received 3 applications; a Master degree was stipulated though people rarely let that stop them applying. A university position has a lot in its favour, for example no need for a teaching license, no culture course, no kids.......

I have noticed that there have been fewer positions advertised therefore I assume there must be fewer people interested in teaching in Thailand. Korea's exchange rate has made that a less attractive alternative ..........

Most university positions don't pay very well. Sure, if it's a top-ranked university the pay will be good, but most of the university teaching positions pay no more than 40,000 baht/month. The universities simply aren't being competitive. I recently hired 3 teachers and had a deluge of applications, some of whom were qualified to teach at international schools (I work at a government school). I'm still receiving inquiries, but I've filled all our positions. I may even try to create a new position next month, because we are expanding our program, and there's lots of good applicants out there.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Most university positions don't pay very well. Sure, if it's a top-ranked university the pay will be good, but most of the university teaching positions pay no more than 40,000 baht/month. The universities simply aren't being competitive. I recently hired 3 teachers and had a deluge of applications, some of whom were qualified to teach at international schools (I work at a government school). I'm still receiving inquiries, but I've filled all our positions. I may even try to create a new position next month, because we are expanding our program, and there's lots of good applicants out there.

Wow, which ones do 40,000?

All public universities pay 27,000 for bachelor degree holders and maybe 1000 or 2000 more for MA and Ph.D

holders.

I am told East Asian U, a private university, doesn't pay very much more than these rates.

Most university positions don't pay very well. Sure, if it's a top-ranked university the pay will be good, but most of the university teaching positions pay no more than 40,000 baht/month. The universities simply aren't being competitive.

Wow, which ones do 40,000?

All public universities pay 27,000 for bachelor degree holders and maybe 1000 or 2000 more for MA and Ph.D

holders.

I am told East Asian U, a private university, doesn't pay very much more than these rates.

I have done 3 interviews over the past two months at universities in Bangkok. All of them advertised "salary negotiable". I have two years teaching experience and a doctorate degree. I was offered 38,000-40,000 by each (I was demanding 60,000). I didn't accept the offers, as that salary range is not enough for me to move to Bangkok. Working just 6 hours of corporate per week and my current government school job, I earn twice that in the provinces!

I work at SEA private University and last year I pulled over 500,000 - so Uni jobs are not that badly paid.

They are looking for a farang teacher at present - you can call the Dean (Dr Nares) on his mobile (086 0117964) for more details

Agreed. Although I don't mind earning a bit less if i get a better working environment to teach in. I taught in a secondary school before and can't be bothered to spend most of my time getting kids to behave. I want to teach not be a child minder. I have studied in a Thai uni and I know students there don't listen all the time either but is a lot better than in a high school.

I work at SEA private University and last year I pulled over 500,000 - so Uni jobs are not that badly paid.

They are looking for a farang teacher at present - you can call the Dean (Dr Nares) on his mobile (086 0117964) for more details

500000 a year is not that much, just over 40000 Baht a month.

This year we've had quite a few walk in farang applicants, which is unusual--usually have to beat the bushes a little. I've also had responses from farangs who have responded to ads for non-native English speakers! Unusual, although, I am still looking for two language teachers.

I really wonder about education in a country where kindergarden teachers are paid more than uni profs.

I do too. But, I'm not surprised. In a country where face and braging rights are considered to be important, if you want to be a prof, you have live with the fact that you will most likely get less pay. More bragging rights = less pay. If you are happy to be a kindergarten cop (like I was), then your back pocket will be a bit thicker. Apart from that, I always felt the hours you actually had to do work at unis were a lot less, and more hassle free. But, I do feel that Thais would rather brag about being profs, and because of that, they have to compensate in terms of pay for doing so.

I really wonder about education in a country where kindergarden teachers are paid more than uni profs.

I do too. But, I'm not surprised. In a country where face and braging rights are considered to be important, if you want to be a prof, you have live with the fact that you will most likely get less pay. More bragging rights = less pay. If you are happy to be a kindergarten cop (like I was), then your back pocket will be a bit thicker. Apart from that, I always felt the hours you actually had to do work at unis were a lot less, and more hassle free. But, I do feel that Thais would rather brag about being profs, and because of that, they have to compensate in terms of pay for doing so.

Actually, old Thais that have been in the government uni system do quite well for themselves. You won't find too many aging Thai ajarns jealous over the farang english teachers pay - as they are usually paid quite a bit more. My wife gets 40K (though she has a PhD from Australia), and the english teacher gets by with 25K (though they are often much less qualified that the Thai ajarns anyway). Having said that I don't bother to work in her college when I can get more than double that in an English Program.

On another note, I would say there are less positions available these days for native speakers - many schools are opting to employ non-natives - cheaper and more available I guess. Many schools who traditionally employed natives are now doing this.

Edited by culicine

Actually, old Thais that have been in the government uni system do quite well for themselves. You won't find too many aging Thai ajarns jealous over the farang english teachers pay - as they are usually paid quite a bit more. My wife gets 40K (though she has a PhD from Australia), and the english teacher gets by with 25K (though they are often much less qualified that the Thai ajarns anyway). Having said that I don't bother to work in her college when I can get more than double that in an English Program.

On another note, I would say there are less positions available these days for native speakers - many schools are opting to employ non-natives - cheaper and more available I guess. Many schools who traditionally employed natives are now doing this.

My point had nothing to do with Thai being jealous of farang pay, it was more of an opinion about why I feel the pay is often less in uni's. And, I mentioned that I felt that was because of the way things are in Thailand. From my experience with Thais, I feel if given the choice, a Thai would rather be a prof than a kindergarten cop. Being a prof comes with more face. But, Thai employers are smart and they know this. So, their attitude is, well, we know you would rather this job than that job, so we will pay you less - If you want this job that will make you feel better on the inside, you will have to accept less pay. My post had noting to do with issues between Thais and the farang. Thais determine things in Thailand, not farangs. So, us working for less pay in uni's and more pay in kindergartens is to do with the Thai way. And the Thai way is all about saving face and having face.

Edited by aussiestyle1983

My wife gets 40K (though she has a PhD from Australia), and the english teacher gets by with 25K (though they are often much less qualified that the Thai ajarns anyway). Having said that I don't bother to work in her college when I can get more than double that in an English Program.

My pay equates to around 50k per month(averaged over the 12 month contract) as all teaching hours scheduled over 16 hours per week are paid as overtime as are all hours scheduled during Summer term (12 hours per week), also there are opportunities for extra courses like TOEIC, amongst others. The university provides support when we undertake further study and for us to present papers at international conferences.

It is an individual choice issue when choosing between employment at a school or a university as the situation can be quite different. That said some lecturers, Thai and foreign, choose to watch movies and play computer games between classes while others find more productive ways to use this time. Personally, my preference is to undertake extra study and projects that improve my resume and provide a few 'Brownie Points" with my department's head and the university's President.

I have moved to Thailand on a permanent basis (married with kids), therefore there are benefits for me to put in the extra effort, whereas those that may only be here for a few years have less to gain.