How Long Have You Been In Chiang Mai?

Scrubber

Having got extremely bored by seeing threads deteriorating with inane comments like "I've been living in Chiang Mai for 25 years blah, blah, blah", I decided to start one just for you guys to vent your spleen or show your pride and let us all know how long you've been here.

Do you think it really impresses people to state your duration of residence in Chiang Mai, or adds some kind of magical weight to your argument? So what if you've lived here since 1970? Who cares? Do you really think "I've been here for 15 years" = "I know more about Chiang Mai than you"? It doesn't mean squat. I know a lot of people who've been here for more than a decade and they can barely speak enough Thai to order a bottle of Chang, coupled with the fact that they've been drinking it in the same bar with the same mates since the day they set foot here. But hey, they KNOW the real Chiang Mai because they've been here longer than you.

Now, please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone on TV is like this - far from it. I know a lot of long-termers who know a hel_l of a lot more than I do about this city we all love. I respect their knowledge and posts they leave. They're the ones who don't feel the need to back up any posts they leave with a "...and I've been here since XXXX, so I know I'm right" comment. I also know a few people that were here for just a year and experienced a lot more than most expats do in five.

It's not how long you've lived here that counts, it's how you've lived here.

Having got extremely bored by seeing threads deteriorating with inane comments like "I've been living in Chiang Mai for 25 years blah, blah, blah", I decided to start one just for you guys to vent your spleen or show your pride and let us all know how long you've been here.

Do you think it really impresses people to state your duration of residence in Chiang Mai, or adds some kind of magical weight to your argument? So what if you've lived here since 1970? Who cares? Do you really think "I've been here for 15 years" = "I know more about Chiang Mai than you"? It doesn't mean squat. I know a lot of people who've been here for more than a decade and they can barely speak enough Thai to order a bottle of Chang, coupled with the fact that they've been drinking it in the same bar with the same mates since the day they set foot here. But hey, they KNOW the real Chiang Mai because they've been here longer than you.

Now, please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone on TV is like this - far from it. I know a lot of long-termers who know a hel_l of a lot more than I do about this city we all love. I respect their knowledge and posts they leave. They're the ones who don't feel the need to back up any posts they leave with a "...and I've been here since XXXX, so I know I'm right" comment. I also know a few people that were here for just a year and experienced a lot more than most expats do in five.

I'm moving to Chiang Mai from the UK on Sunday. Perhaps in 25 years I'll be a bore too!

You've stated the obvious and answered your own question, surely. :)

If you want a response, try being a bit less nice about it all.

I've been here longer than some and less than others.

I really don't see what difference it makes.?

I could have spent 10 years here and never got further than shopping at Tesco, that would not make me the leading authority on Chiang Mai matters would it?

If somebody does say "I've been here 25 years and THIS is the way it is/should be," it's really up to you to decide if you trust that person's judgement or not, someone who has only been here a year might know a lot more about the particular subject you are discussing :)

Blinky Bill speaks excellent Thai, has seen the whole country many times and has made good use of his 25 years in Thailand. He is loved and respected by pretty much everyone who knows him and has left a long string of gorgeous women still pining for him all over South East Asia.

In short, he is an "old timer" worth listening to!

Blinky Bill speaks excellent Thai, has seen the whole country many times and has made good use of his 25 years in Thailand. He is loved and respected by pretty much everyone who knows him and has left a long string of gorgeous women still pining for him all over South East Asia.

Funny, EweGee, Blinky's name came to my mind as well :)

/ Priceless

I'm moving to Chiang Mai from the UK on Sunday. Perhaps in 25 years I'll be a bore too!

Ah, such humility! I imagine that with even the slightest of effort you will be able to do better than that. :)

What difference does it really make? I can never figure out the guy who wears how many years he has been here like a badge of honor but what surprises me is half of the "I have been here for 25 years" group can't speak read or write Thai, that's just sad.

What difference does it really make? I can never figure out the guy who wears how many years he has been here like a badge of honor but what surprises me is half of the "I have been here for 25 years" group can't speak read or write Thai, that's just sad.

Well, just remember, everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.

Maybe this could be a "short time" "long time" poll ...

I won't say how long I've been here (I came in the previous millennium) but I can tell you that my wife was born here 38 years ago and that her family cannot even remember how many previous generations have lived here. Also, I think it is highly probable my children and grandchildren will be here for many future generations.

Its all about roots. Roots can take hold quickly or slowly. Up to you!

With that thought in mind, I think the old-timers who loathe the "growth" of Chiang Mai (and the inevitable influx of expats) are a little pathetic. For Chiang Mai people, growth is good (yes, intelligent, managed growth = prosperity) . . . But don't listen to me ... ask them!

-NG

My grandfather (who was was an immigrant to the USA) used to say "old people love to talk about the good old days that never were!"

[reason for edit: just want to say it's only May 1 and I've already exceeded my personal 2009 posting quota]

Edited by NaiGreg

I’ve got nothing to hide.

Sold up my London house in 2003 and with my Thai wife who I met in England and our daughter, moved to Thailand.

In 2007 took early retirement and receive a UK pension.

On a Non (O) Immigrant visa for retirement, keep strictly legal and keep my head down.

Not involved in any behind the scenes illegal activities, such as: the real bar, restaurant or massage parlour owner behind a Thai name, or do visa runs because I cannot meet the requirements imposed by Immigration.

Not a goody, goody, just that by staying legal does not create problems that could affect the tightening up of visa regulations for everyone else living here.

First visited Thailand back in 1989 and eventually made my dream of living here into a reality. Totally secure, no need to work, savings and financially secure for the rest of my life.

Don’t consider myself superior to newbie residents, but have very little respect for those who move here without planning their stay in Thailand properly, living in hope.

I've got nothing to hide.

Don't consider myself superior to newbie residents, but have very little respect for those who move here without planning their stay in Thailand properly, living in hope.

Reading between the lines - I'm not superior but if you're not as fortunate as me, I don't have any time for you?

Respect is everything in Thailand. Give it a try.

Don't consider myself superior to newbie residents, but have very little respect for those who move here without planning their stay in Thailand properly, living in hope.

Reading between the lines - I'm not superior but if you're not as fortunate as me, I don't have any time for you?

I never meant that, you are making your own interpretation.

I am saying that I have little sympathy for those for whom things go pear shaped, that had decided to live long term in Thailand, without any financial security, but on a hope and a prayer that all will go well for them.

Also no time or respect for those who become involved with illegal activities because they cant hack it with Immigration.

I do not look down on anyone who is not as fortunate as me, but do consider those who stay legal and plan their stay in Thailand properly as smarter ex-pats.

These are the people that I prefer to associate with and do.

Edited by sassienie

I never meant that, you are making your own interpretation.

I am saying that I have little sympathy for those for whom things go pear shaped, that had decided to live long term in Thailand, without any financial security, but on a hope and a prayer that all will go well for them.

Also no time or respect for those who become involved with illegal activities because they cant hack it with Immigration.

I do not look down on anyone who is not as fortunate as me, but do consider those who stay legal and plan their stay in Thailand properly as smarter ex-pats.

These are the people that I prefer to associate with and do.

You don't need to explain yourself to me. :)

Ah, such humility! I imagine that with even the slightest of effort you will be able to do better than that. :D

Hey Rass, so many achieve that goal even before they arrive. :)

Well, just remember, everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.

It doesn't irritate me at all, actually not much does. I just find these types to be hostile and unfriendly like they own the country and are annoyed that others have settled in their back yard. I lived in China for 10 years and the expat community was much different actually they were down right helpful, out going and friendly also quick to help new comers settle in and get acclimated. I have been friendly to new comers here and helped them where I can in terms of accommodation and getting around in fact I have helped 2 of my countrymen get gainful employment. I suppose my peeve is (if I actually have one) is that I was out and about one day and an expat was getting quite loud about how long he had been here and he was "sick" of us newbies, at the time I had only been here 2 years. Anyway I'm not defending my comment and it was not said in spite or to hurt anyone's feelings if anything I hoped it would help people see what I see and maybe be a little kinder and realize this is not a contest.

"It is a fact that cannot be denied: the wickedness of others becomes our own wickedness because it kindles something evil in our own hearts." ~~Jung~~

Edited by Jungian

Funny, EweGee, Blinky's name came to my mind as well :)

/ Priceless

Aw gee EweGee and Priceless, I'm flattered.

If I wasn't such a humble chap your comments might have gone to my head.

Sold up my London house in 2003 and with my Thai wife who I met in England and our daughter, moved to Thailand.

In 2007 took early retirement and receive a UK pension.

On a Non (O) Immigrant visa for retirement, keep strictly legal and keep my head down.

Not involved in any behind the scenes illegal activities, such as: the real bar, restaurant or massage parlour owner behind a Thai name, or do visa runs because I cannot meet the requirements imposed by Immigration.

Not a goody, goody, just that by staying legal does not create problems that could affect the tightening up of visa regulations for everyone else living here.

First visited Thailand back in 1989 and eventually made my dream of living here into a reality. Totally secure, no need to work, savings and financially secure for the rest of my life.

Planning on moving there in March, what do you mean about "planning your stay" I'll take all the info I can get from a PRO :)

I guess the encouraging thing for us whippersnappers is that those who have been here for 25 years or more are unlikely to be here for another 25. The natural order of things will ensure that those of us who have been here for less than 25, assuming we didn't move here as pensioners, will eventually take our rightful place as the overlords of Chiang Mai. We just have to wait until our weak and frail elders take their final dirt naps. I, for one, have bookmarked the "remembrance" thread and mark my slow but inevitable climb up the ladder.

:)