Truevisons (UBC) To Cancel BBC Entertainment From 1st June

JetsetBkk

Yes, Truevisons (UBC) are to cancel BBC Entertainment from 1st June, according to the ticker at the top of the BBC Entertainment channel's screen.

Nice of them to give one months notice.

Time to look at cable alternatives since BBC Entertainment was the best channel they had.

Some of the stuff I watch used to watch:

Spooks

Judge John Deed

Silent Witness

Waking The Dead

Dr Who

Life On Mars

etc.

Bye-bye True. Hello P2P.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I never watch BBC Entertainment, Animax or STC. With the change, my kid is elated about the addition of Nickelodeon, while All Sports Network sounds interesting and I am sure both my wife and I will find interesting programs to watch on AXN Beyond. For us, it is a win.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I never watch BBC Entertainment, Animax or STC. With the change, my kid is elated about the addition of Nickelodeon, while All Sports Network sounds interesting and I am sure both my wife and I will find interesting programs to watch on AXN Beyond. For us, it is a win.

AXN BEYOND is full of more old American TV show re runs we have all seen before I think everyone should email True and complain. My main beef is that if you are going to remove a premium channel you should replace it with something equal or better!

This is terrible news....what on earth are they thinking?? It is the best thing available, so why cancel it?

I agree the best channel by far so why take it off? It is bound to lead to a lot of cancelled subscriptions.

Edited by khastan

Yes, Truevisons (UBC) are to cancel BBC Entertainment from 1st June, according to the ticker at the top of the BBC Entertainment channel's screen.

Time to look at cable alternatives since BBC Entertainment was the best channel they had.

Spooks

Judge John Deed

Silent Witness

Waking The Dead

Dr Who

Life On Mars

etc.

Bye-bye True. Hello P2P.

What's P2P? does anyone have any information on other sattelite broadcasters that we can get access to here in Thailand, I know some of the bars in Pattaya get their football from either Malaysia or Indonesia, anyone have any info as I will be telling True where to stick there poxy dish as soon as possible.

The genius management of True is at it again.

First they come up with the lovely idea of taking away about 15% of the channels when upgrading from Silver to Gold, then charging you 80% of the silver price to get that 15% back with Platinum service. :)

Now they decide they aren't screwing us hard enough, so they tell us to bend over, grab those ankles, and SMILE!

Edited by surface

Agree, majority of UBC customers are not from UK...

I for one enjoy BBC Entertainment and will be now be reducing my package considerably, was considering doing it anyway as I am tired of the constant repeats of old movies, this has been the straw that broke the camels back - don't suppose for one minute True Visions will care less.

Edited by theoldgit

AXN BEYOND is full of more old American TV show re runs we have all seen before I think everyone should email True and complain. My main beef is that if you are going to remove a premium channel you should replace it with something equal or better!

What is an old American TV show re run to you is a new American TV show to me. I live here and have for many years. I highly doubt that I have seen any of these re runs you talk about, and this won't be much different for most of UBC's subscribers.

Has anyone-else noticed the mistake on the ticker where it says you can contact TrueVisions customer care.

It should read "contact TrueVisions customer don't care." :)

Yes - and why do we have to pay for a phone call? Why isn't it on their web site?

Ah! Sorry. Just remembered - they totally fukced up their web site too.

True is in a sad state of affairs but honestly downloading all those shows via torrent is a whole lot more convenient anyway.

They are currently on my good side because they re-run the Champion's league games at 6:00, 9:00, and 12:00 the next day - that's awesome.

BTW if you are looking for a decent overview on programming, check this:

http://www.naddalim.com/ubc/

Much more functional than the official True website, and a lot faster, too :)

...BTW if you are looking for a decent overview on programming, check this:

http://www.naddalim.com/ubc/

Much more functional than the official True website, and a lot faster, too :)

Nice and fast web site, but unfortunately the results are quite wrong. The schedules look like last month's for Xzyte channel. BBC Entertainment is wrong too, but I've no idea which month is being listed.

I think this web site uses the same file that I do - ubcschedule.zip - to get the information they need. But I can't find it on the new screwed up Truevisions web site, and I don't think the author of this web site can either. I've emailed him/her about it.

Here is an example schedule file:

ubcschedule.zip

Edited by JetsetBkk

The 2 solutions i see to the ubc truevision overpriced nonsense:

1. AppleTV and discounted itunes gift cards for the USA Store - all movies, rentals, tv episodes, HD available.

2. Hulu.com combined with a VPN appliance i would recommend surfbouncer.com combined with the apple tv to stream quality content to your plasma/lcd.

If you look at the price of UBC Gold (1700THB) if I recall that would get you about $100 us per month of itunes content plus the free hulu.com content.

UBC just does not make sense anymore with the quality available through the net.

I wish I could use the BBC iplayer in Thailand, looks like I will have to continue with torrent downloads.

BBC iplayer can be used through a hardware or software VPN provider which provides a UK IP.

www.witopia.net

They provide US and UK VPN IP's so you can access hulu.com and bbc iplayer. Not that expensive also.

Edited by namoo

Spooks

Judge John Deed

Silent Witness

Waking The Dead

Dr Who

Life On Mars

etc.

Bye-bye True. Hello P2P.

What's P2P? does anyone have any information on other sattelite broadcasters that we can get access to here in Thailand, I know some of the bars in Pattaya get their football from either Malaysia or Indonesia, anyone have any info as I will be telling True where to stick there poxy dish as soon as possible.

[/quote

Try www.jsat.tv for satellite services.

Multichoice which is a south African network gives you 8 sports channels covering live sports from around the world, bbc entertainment,sky news, various movie channels and documentaries etc.

Astro Malaysia is another one that has bbc entertainment.

A decent satellite installer should be able to give you information on the above (packages etc).

I wonder just how many people will cancel or at least reduce their subscription, I will be doing so next week. The people that have implemented this will not care less, the staff at the call centre will take all the stick.

There was a letter to The Bangkok Post on this subject today.

I wish I could use the BBC iplayer in Thailand, looks like I will have to continue with torrent downloads.

BBC iplayer can be used through a hardware or software VPN provider which provides a UK IP.

www.witopia.net

They provide US and UK VPN IP's so you can access hulu.com and bbc iplayer. Not that expensive also.

GREAT IDEA JUST PAID FOR AND DOWNLOADED THERE SOFTWARE BUT NOW HAVE A PROBLEM!

maybe someone can help?

It connects up Ok but with it switched off my download speed is 2607kps/upload speed 401kps as soon as I switch it on upload speed goes down to 238 upload to 88 which is to slow to use. I am using TOT

Any ideas?

Thanks

www.witopia.net

maybe someone can help?

It connects up Ok but with it switched off my download speed is 2607kps/upload speed 401kps as soon as I switch it on upload speed goes down to 238 upload to 88 which is to slow to use. I am using TOT

Any ideas?

Thanks

trying changing the configuration gateway https://support.witopia.net/configmaker.php

But Alas, I feel you are facing the TOT crap service issue.

I am receiving 1058 down and 188 when connected to the US VPPN and 753 and 128 up when on the UK one - which is good enough for the streaming.

Try the above configmaker.

I am not sure about TOT as dont use them anymore thank god using CSLoxinfo. You may receive better performance using surfbouncer on TOT worth a try its $4.99 to try surfbouncer for a week then cancel your subscription if its no good.

Cheers

Edited by namoo

www.witopia.net

maybe someone can help?

Any ideas?

Thanks

trying changing the configuration gateway https://support.witopia.net/configmaker.php

But Alas, I feel you are facing the TOT crap service issue.

I am receiving 1058 down and 188 when connected to the US VPPN and 753 and 128 up when on the UK one - which is good enough for the streaming.

Try the above configmaker.

I am not sure about TOT as dont use them anymore thank god using CSLoxinfo. You may receive better performance using surfbouncer on TOT worth a try its $4.99 to try surfbouncer for a week then cancel your subscription if its no good.

Cheers

Issues like this is exactly why True Visions doesn't have to worry about viewers leaving them - not for the time being anyway.

Yes their service is diabolical, but the alternatives are no better.

Depends what you think is no better: Currently watching last nights Have I got news for you FULL screen on my laptop FREE on iplayer (Remember u can also download dont need to stream if u dont want to). And before that I watched the office US on hulu.com full screen for free.

Seems better than paying UBC a lot of money for <deleted>.

And tonight have rented The Wrestler for US$2.99 from itunes store........

Yeh your right UBC is better... :)

Edited by namoo

Depends what you think is no better: Currently watching last nights Have I got news for you FULL screen on my laptop FREE on iplayer (Remember u can also download dont need to stream if u dont want to). And before that I watched the office US on hulu.com full screen for free.

Seems better than paying UBC a lot of money for <deleted>.

And tonight have rented The Wrestler for US$2.99 from itunes store........

Yeh your right UBC is better... :)

Huddled over a lap-top, full screen or not, is not my idea of a great way of watching TV.

As for True Visions being better, i'm not saying that it always is. Just it strikes me as being a lot easier. For me the hassle of having to search for stuff and then give credit card details, and then dealing with connection issues - it's all a pain i could do without. Maybe you are doing it often enough to have a good system going that's reliable and easy. I don't. When i have tried, like a few weeks back trying to watch the FA Cup, i wasted so much time and gave up in the end.

At the end of a hard day all i want to do is sit in my sofa and hit the remote. I spend enough time faffing about with computers at work thanks. :D