"traveler Must Possess Credit Card Used To Purchase Ticket"

Svenn

I had to have my credit card with me when I used a ticket purchased over the Internet to travel on the train in Germany

DB Bahn made it very clear that my email confirmation and credit card would be checked on board and without it I could not travel

Same for rail travel in UK. When I queried it I was told that the practice removes the Railway Carrier's/Ticket Issuer's "Cardholder Not Present" risk of a recharge clawback.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I have booked an Eticket, this policy has been very clearly spelled out, and I have been asked to produce the card at the check-in every time, without fail. I have never been stupid enough to try it without having my card with me. If I did not have the card, my guess is I would be asked to pay a new full fare at the ticket counter, or be turned away, just as the policy states.

Sri Lankan and other airlines say that the traveler needs to posses the credit card used to buy the ticket, AND the name on that credit card needs to be a traveller... I can't believe they're serious? My Thai girfriend's coming to China a few days after me and I used my card to buy her ticket. I think I'll just give her my card for a few days and a note saying "sorry, but for emergency reasons I wasn't able to accompany my wife on this trip, please allow her to board, signed -farang" of course she isn't my wife, and there was no emergency. Will it work? Are they really going to turn away a customer at the gate??

Been here 6 years and used my thai creditcard the last 5 years to pay tickets online 5-10 roundtrips a year. Never been asked to see the card. But check in at hotels, they always ask to see the card when prepayed online.

Thai Airways and other airlines require this as well. The traveller who paid with card must travel as well.

Oh what a lesson I learned; typically the hard way. I purchased a ticket to USA vie China Air. I have a credit card that allows for a virtual credit card number. I love this option especially when purchasing items on line. I used my virtual credit card and everything was confirmed. I arrived at the airport in BKK with all contacts made, appointments scheduled etc. The attendant at China air asked to see my credit card when I checked in. LOL so here we go. I showed my credit card – which naturally had a different number from my “virtual” account number for the purchased ticket. All the explaining in the world would not allow entry onto China air with the reservation/ticket I had. To make a long story short, I was required to purchase another ticket using my REAL credit card. Oh and by this time I could only fly out the next day from Bangkok – so much for plans. The sage doesn’t stop there. Contrary to China Air’s guarantee J they billed me for two flights. Yes!!! And it took six months to have the extra charge taken off my credit card bill. I’m glad I caught the double billing. What an ordeal that was. I still can not understand what the reason for said policy is.

Best of luck; hope you don’t experience what I did.

Thai Airways and other airlines require this as well. The traveller who paid with card must travel as well.

Oh what a lesson I learned; typically the hard way. I purchased a ticket to USA vie China Air. I have a credit card that allows for a virtual credit card number. I love this option especially when purchasing items on line. I used my virtual credit card and everything was confirmed. I arrived at the airport in BKK with all contacts made, appointments scheduled etc. The attendant at China air asked to see my credit card when I checked in. LOL so here we go. I showed my credit card – which naturally had a different number from my “virtual” account number for the purchased ticket. All the explaining in the world would not allow entry onto China air with the reservation/ticket I had. To make a long story short, I was required to purchase another ticket using my REAL credit card. Oh and by this time I could only fly out the next day from Bangkok – so much for plans. The sage doesn’t stop there. Contrary to China Air’s guarantee J they billed me for two flights. Yes!!! And it took six months to have the extra charge taken off my credit card bill. I’m glad I caught the double billing. What an ordeal that was. I still can not understand what the reason for said policy is.

Best of luck; hope you don’t experience what I did.

I had a similar experience by not able to find the credit card. But found another and the told "OK we cancel the other card and use this, just a moment, a CC slip a signature, less than 5 min and everything was on the other card. And it was cheapo airline.

This policy has nothing to do with payment for the flight, like I said in an earlier post I've booked and payed for my wife and son's flights so what would be the excuse for not honoring the flights when I as the credit card holder am not travelling?

Brigante7.

Edited by Brigante7

This policy has nothing to do with payment for the flight, like I said in an earlier post I've booked and payed for my wife and son's flights so what would be the excuse for not honoring the flights when I as the credit card holder am not travelling?

Brigante7.

In Post#10, Thai Airways, I said:

"I bought my wife's and daughter's ticket to BKK on TG in March using her CC. At the counter, she was asked to show the CC with name identical to what is on the booking. She did. Just out of curiosity I asked what would have happened if I bought it using my own CC (not travelling) they said - if I were there to show my CC and ID they would have let them board. What if I were not? Sorry, no boarding, they would have to buy another ticket on the spot (if available) and sort out the other one later."

Call TG before your family shows up at the airport without you. BKK call center works 24x7.

Edited by think_too_mut

On my last trip Royal Brunei and Thai caught me out.

I managed to make my flight with RB after getting the CC holder to fill in a form that they emailed to him and he then emailed back. I made my Thai flight only after pleading with them and explaining that my FIL had died 8 hours earlier and we had to get home. (True)

Sri Lankan and other airlines say that the traveler needs to posses the credit card used to buy the ticket, AND the name on that credit card needs to be a traveller... I can't believe they're serious? My Thai girfriend's coming to China a few days after me and I used my card to buy her ticket. I think I'll just give her my card for a few days and a note saying "sorry, but for emergency reasons I wasn't able to accompany my wife on this trip, please allow her to board, signed -farang" of course she isn't my wife, and there was no emergency. Will it work? Are they really going to turn away a customer at the gate??

A quick answer to your question Sven would be yes. If you read terms and condition of travel when you book the ticket, it is clearly stated with most airlines (even low cost ones) that the credit card holder whose card was used to book the tickets has to be one of the travelers. They are very strict on it and know of my ex GF's boss (who is a travel agent) got turned away from Singapore Airlines and had to go home and get the card that she booked the tickets on before she could travel.

I would suggest you contact the airline and try and make prior arrangements. If you lie to them it will only make it worse for you.

If you do not show the card that you booked with, chance is they will not let you travel.

A quick answer to your question Sven would be yes. If you read terms and condition of travel when you book the ticket, it is clearly stated with most airlines (even low cost ones) that the credit card holder whose card was used to book the tickets has to be one of the travelers. They are very strict on it and know of my ex GF's boss (who is a travel agent) got turned away from Singapore Airlines and had to go home and get the card that she booked the tickets on before she could travel.

I would suggest you contact the airline and try and make prior arrangements. If you lie to them it will only make it worse for you.

If you do not show the card that you booked with, chance is they will not let you travel.

Lets get one thing straight. The credit card holder needing to be present only applies to on line booking. If you go into an agent, have an account or do a bank transfer it doesnt.

And some airlines don't require the holder to be present (Lufthansa & KLM for example), some say they must be present but if you talk to the call centre they don't.

So to reiterate for the process challenged: ONLY APPLIES TO ONLINE BOOKING

I think I've been asked to show the card only twice (only by BK Airways) and I've flown them maybe 15 times. For some reason - maybe depending on the card - sometimes when the online purchase is made the name of the cardholder doesn't show up on their end. So when John Smith buys a ticket online, the airlines only see a credit card number. Other times, the name does appear and they have no need to ask.

The first time they asked to see my card at check-in I was surprised and angry and even started a thread on here about it. Their solution was for me to buy another ticket and get a refund from my credit card company for the original ticket since I didn't have the card on me. My solution was to let me use the computer at their service desk nearby to go on the Internet to my credit card's website and show that I made the charge. I had to print up the page and sign it before they would let me on.

I've heard that you should be able to write a letter for your significant other to show at check-in to get through. Not sure the specifics but if you call the airline I'm sure they can tell you what to do.

Many Dutch like me don´t have (and often don´t want) creditcards, in Holland they are not very popular. We are not Americans who can't live without. We all have atm credit- or debitcards usaually from more banks. Creditcard is not accepted in most of supermarkets in Holland, they are nothing more then rip off companies are you give control of your finance to others.

Call the airline office in Bangkok and explain the circumstances. If you are close enough to the office go there. They'll accommodate you. They don't want to lose your business. As long as you do this in a reasonable amount of time before you fly and can prove who you are. Same for the hotel. They will place a note in their booking file so the agents will allow it or "call in" to get approval.

It's all to prevent "fraud". It's worked for me. They want the card in case they need to charge you "extra" for items like "overweight baggage", excreta.

Edited by Mrjlh

I booked a flight last week for my lawyer to fly from Bangkok to Udon Thani with Thai Airways on line, it does say that the credit card holder must be one of the travelers. It says if not they may not be able to board, well i booked it anyway.

I saw this topic and it got me thinking so i have just called Thai Airways and they have said that because i am not traveling my lawyer will not be able to travel. They are calling my lawyer now to ask him to pay for the flight and then they will refund the money i paid to my credit card. All a bit stupid really but i can understand why they do it this way.

Geordie

Been here 6 years and used my thai creditcard the last 5 years to pay tickets online 5-10 roundtrips a year. Never been asked to see the card. But check in at hotels, they always ask to see the card when prepayed online.

The hotels don't care whether it's the CC you used to prepay on line when you check in. All they want is a CC to cover the deposit and it can be any CC you have, not necessarily the one you prepaid with.

I booked a flight last week for my lawyer to fly from Bangkok to Udon Thani with Thai Airways on line, it does say that the credit card holder must be one of the travelers. It says if not they may not be able to board, well i booked it anyway.

I saw this topic and it got me thinking so i have just called Thai Airways and they have said that because i am not traveling my lawyer will not be able to travel. They are calling my lawyer now to ask him to pay for the flight and then they will refund the money i paid to my credit card. All a bit stupid really but i can understand why they do it this way.

Geordie

At least they sorted it out once you had foreseen that there might be a problem. I called their call centre after my girlfriend and I booked a couple of weeks in Phuket, not a problem as we were travelling together. She needed to go back to Bangkok for a couple of days so, as I was not travelling back with her, they made the booking and arranged for me to pay for the ticket in Phuket. So they have their rules but will usually advise you what to do.

This is one of those situations where if you take a chance then you could be lucky or unlucky.

I have travelled Cebu Pacific, Air Asia, Thai and Tiger Airways and always booked online. I believe that on each occasion the web site advised that I must produce the credit card that purchased the online booking. I have never been asked for my card, just my passport. This could be luck or it could be that because my passport confirms my name, same as booking, same as credit card payment they are not as strict. However if my name was different to that on the credit card that purchased the online booking then I am sure they would ask for the card. I believe all my tickets were E tickets whereby a copy of the booking is all I have and a passport was sufficient. I think though the issue here is that they have already advised you that they wish to see the cc that paid for the online booking, what can be clearer than that!

I am not willing to play Russian roulette at any airport let alone Bangkok airport. Anybody who wishes to do that is welcome to try. I always read the small print, it is there for our benefit aswell as the airlines. I have seen many people complain at check-ins about how harshly they have been treated or how they have a booking so they must get on. Certainly I know of few airlines who will back down and give in to loud, remonstrating passengers so would recommend doing as the airline says and avoid any delay. This is why airlines have very stringent rules.

About two years back I used my Thai Kasikorn Virtual Visa Card to book tickets to Phuket on Bangkok Airways. They did ask to see the credit card in question and I and my partner explained that there is no physical card....after five minutes of discussion, we were issued with tickets and said that there would be no future problems...so far so good!

I have now tickets booked to Hanoi this October using the same web card system with Air Asia. Reading this topic, I am wondering whether or not a letter from Kasikorn Bank stating my name, address and webcard number would be sufficient? If not can a cash payment be made and the card refunded?

thanks

So let me post a slightly different question.

I purchased a Thai International flight to Bangkok online using my Master Card.

Later, I lost my MC.

It was replaced with a MC with a different account number.

Then my lost card was returned to me.

So I have the MC I used to purchase the ticket, but it is no longer valid.

I also have the new MC...same account, just a different card number.

So, I have the old card (correct account number for that ticket purchase) and the new card (same account, different number).

Am I going to have a problem when I arrive at the counter at LAX?

Why don't you ask an even more difficult question, you lost your card and they gave you a new one with a new number, and then you tried to claim the flight. I am sure cards are replaced for a number of reasons.

^^ I have just bought some tickets via Visa with Singapore Air for travel in September. In the interim the card will expire and I'll be automatically sent a new one. I mentioned this when I made the booking (over the phone) and they very explicitly told me that I must present the card when I check and it must be VALID - which of course I can't do. They then told me I would have to go to a Singapore Air office before the card expired and fill out some paperwork to take with me when I checked in. A bloody hassle but what can you do??

I will check again and see if a new Credit Card (same name, same number, different ccv and expiry date) will be adequate cos I can't be arsed going to their office.

I don't recall ever having to show my credit card for a flight check-in, even when I've bought tickets online - either directly from the airline or via an online retailer. I possibly have but it certainly isn't required every time. But I'm sure things would be much different if the name of the person travelling solo is not the same as on the credit card used.

I wouldn't think it would be an issue with real tickets (as opposed to e-tickets) as it's pretty hard to get real tickets without a credit card being presented in person. There must be a way (apart from issuing proper tickets) that a travel agent can confirm that a credit card has been sighted, authorised/processed already.

Hotels however almost always want to see a credit card, and even if the room is pre-paid they can give you grief if you don't have a credit card they can sight/imprint in advance to cover meals, incidentals etc. It must be a real pain for some people.

So let me post a slightly different question.

I purchased a Thai International flight to Bangkok online using my Master Card.

Later, I lost my MC.

It was replaced with a MC with a different account number.

Then my lost card was returned to me.

So I have the MC I used to purchase the ticket, but it is no longer valid.

I also have the new MC...same account, just a different card number.

So, I have the old card (correct account number for that ticket purchase) and the new card (same account, different number).

Am I going to have a problem when I arrive at the counter at LAX?

Just chatted with them at LAX. They said no problem in this circumstance.

I have just dealt with this today, booking an Emirates return flight from Bangkok - Manchester for my Thai partner.

The only fail-safe method is going to the nearest Airline Office in person, paying at the office, making copies of your passport and credit card there, and signing a piece of paper in front of the airline staff.

Online payment on behalf of another is not possible. Booking via UK or Thai travel agencies is also not allowed (though you might get away with it!) and the agency should refuse outright.

Inconvenient I know (I live 2 hours away from the nearest Emirates Office) but it seems to be the only option to book a flight and guarantee there will not be any complications.

Encountered that - didn't even slow me down. Use the card to get cash and pay in cash - often get a better price that way too I believe. :)

Hotels however almost always want to see a credit card, and even if the room is pre-paid they can give you grief if you don't have a credit card they can sight/imprint in advance to cover meals, incidentals etc. It must be a real pain for some people.

Don't ever give a Thai hotel your credit/debit card. They will memorise your 3 digit code on the back and empty your account. Just give them 5 thousand baht cash deposit (get a receipt).

For all you naysayers- Sri Lankan does have a third-party payment policy where I just have to email them an electronic signature and copy of the passport and credit card- so no worries :)