"traveler Must Possess Credit Card Used To Purchase Ticket"

Svenn

Sri Lankan and other airlines say that the traveler needs to posses the credit card used to buy the ticket, AND the name on that credit card needs to be a traveller... I can't believe they're serious? My Thai girfriend's coming to China a few days after me and I used my card to buy her ticket. I think I'll just give her my card for a few days and a note saying "sorry, but for emergency reasons I wasn't able to accompany my wife on this trip, please allow her to board, signed -farang" of course she isn't my wife, and there was no emergency. Will it work? Are they really going to turn away a customer at the gate??

Edited by Svenn

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it work? Are they really going to turn away a customer at the gate??

No it will not work & they will turn her away.

You better go through a different airline as some do allow a purchase by another.

Nok Air for one.

China Air does too but you have to call & make the arrangement it is not allowed on the web version.

Edited by flying

most airlines do this. she will not be able too get on. i would see a travel agent really quick and maybe they can do something for a fee.

Shit, are you guys really serious? Have you had experience with it or just guessing?

They are 100% serious. I have encountered this situation many, many times with TG and others. Even when a card used to make a booking has expired, make sure you still carry it until you have taken all the flights you used it to purchase. You need to take some action or your plans are going to fail. Sorry it's not better news.

Sri Lankan and other airlines say that the traveler needs to posses the credit card used to buy the ticket, AND the name on that credit card needs to be a traveller... I can't believe they're serious? My Thai girfriend's coming to China a few days after me and I used my card to buy her ticket. I think I'll just give her my card for a few days and a note saying "sorry, but for emergency reasons I wasn't able to accompany my wife on this trip, please allow her to board, signed -farang" of course she isn't my wife, and there was no emergency. Will it work? Are they really going to turn away a customer at the gate??

Read your small print - you may have a problem. This is standard practice and is usually clearly marked on online booking systems etc.

If you are not worried aabout taking a chance - up to you. Otherwise call the airline and explain the situation - I am sure she will not be the first G/F to travel on a ticket bought by a partner who is not travelling.

Call the airline and explain your situation, and ask for their advice...

The general policy discussed above is correct. But folks on TV have reported in the past being able to get around it through various means, including signed notes and such...

It's really up to the discretion of the individual airline, and how strict or flexible they are about the policy.

Sri Lankan and other airlines say that the traveler needs to posses the credit card used to buy the ticket, AND the name on that credit card needs to be a traveller... I can't believe they're serious?

My colleague loved the practice when he saw his credit card being used for tickets and hotels around South East Asia.

His CC was used from BKK-Siam Reap 2 times, BKK-Tokyo once, Peninsula hotel BKK, Hilton Singapore. Purchases only but stopped when CC holder failed to turn up. I can imagine what kind of storiess the crooks were trying to lay down. He routinelly checked, he did not know it had been going on for 2 weeks, a taxi driver in Sydney took a copy and noted down the 3-digit number on the back. The card was not physically stolen.

Fortunatelly, non of the charges were made - all the vendors required CC holder to be present. And he was not. His bank liked it too.

I bought my wife's and daughter's ticket to BKK on TG in March using her CC. At the counter, she was asked to show the CC with name identical to what is on the booking. She did. Just out of curiosity I asked what would have happened if I bought it using my own CC (not travelling) they said - if I were there to show my CC and ID they would have let them board. What if I were not? Sorry, no boarding, they would have to buy another ticket on the spot (if available) and sort out the other one later.

(I checked that site - it does warn about that).

Edited by think_too_mut

There is lots of credit card cloning fraud by Sri Larka gangs, etc. (Google search). Airlines need to protect themselves from charge backs for accepting a fraudulent ticket charge.

Sri Lankan and other airlines say that the traveler needs to posses the credit card used to buy the ticket, AND the name on that credit card needs to be a traveller... I can't believe they're serious?

My colleague loved the practice when he saw his credit card being used for tickets and hotels around South East Asia.

His CC was used from BKK-Siam Reap 2 times, BKK-Tokyo once, Peninsula hotel BKK, Hilton Singapore. Purchases only but stopped when CC holder failed to turn up. I can imagine what kind of storiess the crooks were trying to lay down. He routinelly checked, he did not know it had been going on for 2 weeks, a taxi driver in Sydney took a copy and noted down the 3-digit number on the back. The card was not physically stolen.

Fortunatelly, non of the charges were made - all the vendors required CC holder to be present. And he was not. His bank liked it too.

I bought my wife's and daughter's ticket to BKK on TG in March using her CC. At the counter, she was asked to show the CC with name identical to what is on the booking. She did. Just out of curiosity I asked what would have happened if I bought it using my own CC (not travelling) they said - if I were there to show my CC and ID they would have let them board. What if I were not? Sorry, no boarding, they would have to buy another ticket on the spot (if available) and sort out the other one later.

(I checked that site - it does warn about that).

There is no relation between those stories and pre-paid airline tickets. The ticket is already paid for and frankly I don't need the airline's help in protecting my 'security', if by 'security' they mean denying my significant other the right to board with a ticket purchased with funds from our relationship. Most advanced Western airlines like United don't require the passenger to be the card holder at all... it's only these ramshackle asian airline passengers that are paranoid they'll lose a few extra ruppees to some member of the thieving lower castes.

There is lots of credit card cloning fraud by Sri Larka gangs, etc. (Google search). Airlines need to protect themselves from charge backs for accepting a fraudulent ticket charge.

My point is proven! heaven forbid the managers of Sri Lankan lose a few extra pennies and can't buy their kids gold-plated gucci sunglasses from siam paragon!

Most advanced Western airlines like United don't require the passenger to be the card holder at all... it's only these ramshackle asian airline passengers that are paranoid they'll lose a few extra ruppees to some member of the thieving lower castes.

Bwaahahahahaha!!!

That shame of the civilised world you call "most advanced"...bwahahahaha...any "rupie" airline is better than that junk!

:)

There is no relation between those stories and pre-paid airline tickets. The ticket is already paid for and frankly I don't need the airline's help in protecting my 'security', if by 'security' they mean denying my significant other the right to board with a ticket purchased with funds from our relationship.

Really? That "already paid" ticket is crawling from the back to byte the bum of the clerk.

You can refuse help from CC issuer to protect "your security" but they also need their own protection from unfortunate (card lost or stollen) or careless people.

Indeed, how does your Internet purchase differ from anyone having your CC and 3 digits from the back?

The CC issuer will refund the money to the victim but wil trace back to the counter level and person who accepted on board someone without the CC used for purchase. The clark can not lie - the person whose card was used could be anywhere, even on a different continent. Then, airline has to refund the CC issuer. And the clerk will have to bear all or significant part of the cost for deciding "not to interfer with your relationship".

Understand now why they are so serious?

Virgin Atlantic, hardly a "ramshackle Asian airline" will only you allow to purchase tickets on-line if the credit card holder is one of the passengers, they will allow a non credit card holder to travel, on certain routes, if advance notice is given and then the paper tickets are sent to the card holders billing address.

I am sure that most airlines operate similar procedures, but the credit card holder must fly route is nothing new and I believe is universally understood.

There is no relation between those stories and pre-paid airline tickets. The ticket is already paid for and frankly I don't need the airline's help in protecting my 'security', if by 'security' they mean denying my significant other the right to board with a ticket purchased with funds from our relationship. Most advanced Western airlines like United don't require the passenger to be the card holder at all... it's only these ramshackle asian airline passengers that are paranoid they'll lose a few extra ruppees to some member of the thieving lower castes.

I dunno. You ask peoples advice, then get snarkywhen they give it. From your post, you did an on-line credit card purchase. No proof to anyone that you did the purchase, and, in some ways, the ticket is not "pre-paid" - its on credit!

To avoid this, go to a travel agent as has been said. The "card holder must travel" is part of almost every airline on line ticketing policy I have encountered.

In situations where I've booked my girlfriend to fly separate from me, I've gone to a local travel agent and purchased an e-ticket with cash. Surprisingly, or maybe not, travel agents still seem to have better pricing for TG than booking via their website.

Edited by clokwise

I on the other hand have been asked to produce the relevant credit card everytime I have booked a flight online, here in Thailand as well as The UK, The US, Australia and Hong Kong.

I have never been asked to produce a credit card if I have booked a flight via a travel agent having paid cash, bank transfer or even credit card

You do not need to show it when using an agent because it is the 'agents' responsibility to verify the identity of the cardholder.

If you are not traveling with the person you purchased the ticket for then most of the time you need to sign a form at the airlines local office. It really is not difficult and spelt out very clearly on airline online booking engines.

I have had to show my card 2 times to thai and 2 times to bangkok air,

they are very clear that the card holder must be present at check in.

I have no idea why, no other have ever asked and certainly not when

I check in on line and print out a boarding pass.

I had to have my credit card with me when I used a ticket purchased over the Internet to travel on the train in Germany

DB Bahn made it very clear that my email confirmation and credit card would be checked on board and without it I could not travel

most airlines do this. she will not be able too get on. i would see a travel agent really quick and maybe they can do something for a fee.

Shit, are you guys really serious? Have you had experience with it or just guessing?

As Internet shop (accepting creditcards) I tell you, they won't let her boarding.

Else half the creditcardowners would later dispute the payment.

Or do you want that waiter in the last restaurant you paid with your creditcard can fly somewhere just using the numbers of your card?

But you can give her the cash. Last time I had the original card somewhere in the laguage and they told I can change to any other CC, that's faster than searching.

So I changed from VISA to AMEX (I think it was EVA, but not sure)

I encountered this twice recently with Etihad, wheras there was no such requirement 12 months earlier. On calling their head office in Abu Dhabi, I was informed that I could go to my local Etihad branch and have my card verified there.

Did this both times, and person(s) was/were able to travel without me or the card being at point of departure.

Hope this helps the OP.

I really dont understand a lot of these posters who cannot believe this is a very strictly enforced policy with almost all airlines these days. Its a sensible and logical thing to do as it eradicates CC theft. To the poster who said China Airlines do not carry out this policy, you are wrong as it was this airline four years ago who bumped me as the ticket was paid for online using the company MD's CC.

Other contributors on here have also got it right, using a CC with a travel agent is acceptable to the airline as it is the travel agent who takes the hit if things are dodgy.

No way round this so accept it. For the op I suggest you dont put the lady through this ordeal, it looks very dodgy when Ms Somchai who is flying to China books in and when asked where the card is explains that its her husband John Smith who has paid for it, but we are not married !!

Indeed, how does your Internet purchase differ from anyone having your CC and 3 digits from the back?

Use a bank with a decent security system.

Both my online bank transactions and online Credit card purchases require the use of a calculating machine.

When I make an online credit card purchase the credit verification software goes through my bank where I need to perform some operations to make authentication and digital signature invoving some calculations made with the calculator.

With this system the credit card payment is secure (unless someone else would hold and my calculator and the codes) as a result there is no need to show credit card at check in time, but then companies such as Nok Air's computer systems don't record secure payment was used. I even booked and paid a Thai Airways ticket without their system connecting to my bank's security system. Plain Idiots they are not detecting they have to go through this check. I won't book with Thai in the future because of this, that simple.

Now Etihad at online booking time demanded if I wished to use passport number or show credit card to prove ID at check-in time.

I guess some smart people work there as systems analysts.

Now if all banks could switch to use decent security systems credit card fraud would become close to impossible, what are they waiting for? :)

Edited by tartempion

Some airlines will allow you to purchase for another traveller, even if you book online. However, the terms will tell you that you must present the card before the flight.

To get around this - you must go to the Sri Lankan office, present yourself, explain the situation and produce the booking code, and then show the card. If possible, get them to print a copy of the notes they've entered into the booking record - then fax to your girlfriend just in case.

As others have stated, this is for your protection.