Plastic Bags Banned --

aussimike

States should follow SA bag ban: Rann

May 4, 2009 - 9:59AM

A ban on plastic shopping bags in South Australia will put pressure on other states and territories to follow suit, Premier Mike Rann says.

The ban on single-use plastic shopping bags, generally used by supermarkets, came into force on Monday.

It will save an estimated 400 million bags being dumped in landfill each year.

But it will not apply to the bags on a roll, used for fruit and vegetables and sturdier plastic bags, used in departments stores.

Mr Rann said there was no question too many of the single-use bags were in circulation.

"Four billion of them are being produced every year just so that Australians can put a few items in them for the short ride between the supermarket and home," he said.

The Age Melbourne

One can just imagine if this law was introduced to Thailand--- what on earth would they do -- not be able to carry home food from the soi stall -the supermarket - most supermarkets use reusable paper bags for groceries in Australia = these are easily recycled and great for the environment - - I have always been totally amazed with the usage of plactic bags in this country - seems that what ever u buy i gets shoved in a plastic bag only to be thrown away as soon as u get home - i have always declined bags for a few amount of items -- i get some strange looks - even for a packet of cigs -

i have always declined bags for a few amount of items -- i get some strange looks - even for a packet of cigs -

I concur with that, turning down a plastic bags is, I suspect, one of those things Thai don't understand about foreigners.

Not that reusing non plastic bags is unheard of in Thai society - There's a thriving trade on a few Thai websites, such as Pantip for the carrier bags that are given out with High-End products, such as Chanel, Louis Vuitton etc. These selling at up to Bht 500 a piece.

Well I guess one just must have the right bags to carry around those shopping malls.