A Nice Suvarnabhumi Arrivals Experience

The arrivals process at Suvarnabhumi gets many negative comments so I thought I'd post a positive one I had yesterday afternoon.

Arrived from Singapore on Cathay Pacific 25 minutes early, just two people in front of me at passport control, and luggage already getting dizzy on the baggage claim carousel. It was no more than 15 minutes from exiting the aircraft to passing through customs and onwards to the taxi stand.

I guess it could be down to lack of other passengers arriving (my flight was 75 per cent empty). If only all arrivals could be like this.

The arrivals process at Suvarnabhumi gets many negative comments so I thought I'd post a positive one I had yesterday afternoon.

Arrived from Singapore on Cathay Pacific 25 minutes early, just two people in front of me at passport control, and luggage already getting dizzy on the baggage claim carousel. It was no more than 15 minutes from exiting the aircraft to passing through customs and onwards to the taxi stand.

I guess it could be down to lack of other passengers arriving (my flight was 75 per cent empty). If only all arrivals could be like this.

I've never had much of an ordeal getting through Suvarnabhumi. I don't see what people fuss about. I travel quite a bit, and I've definitely seen worse airports, slower, less efficient service, etc elsewhere.

It usually takes me about half an hour to get out of the airport upon arrival.

Leaving usually takes a lot longer to clear passport control in my experience.

Overall, it's a nice enough airport.

If only all arrivals could be like this.

They are, in Singapore's Changi :D

But that's pretty good for Swampy. I go thru it fairly often and immigration is getting better nowdays and usually is not crowded unless you arrive same time as all the flights from europe are landing (early afternoon). Usually the problem is luggage that takes ages to get. But if arrivals to thailand are down 60% like i saw in some thread here then i would guess the luckage problem is also getting better :)

I arrived from SIN at 21:50 (ten minutes early), short wait at Immigration - there was an Indian-subcontinent-looking guy at the desk and the farang woman in front of me was tutting and stamping her feet, I just changed queues and got through before the 'Indian' guy was finished with. Maybe 5-10 minutes for my bag and out the door by quarter past. Had an unusally protracted search for a taxi up at departures: one flat refusal for taxi-meter to On Nut, one offer of 300baht (walk away) before getting a ride for 120baht on the meter (no tolls). Home by about 22:45. Cleaned up and at Nana by 23:30 :)

Flew in lastnight 20:30 and have to say that it was my quickest entry into BKK.

No line up at immigration at all, a friendly sawasdeekhap, stamp stamp and I was through.

But like above poster stated there are worse airports....chicago o'hare comes to mind, Indira Gandhi, Delhi, as well

The strange thing was for the 1st time ever, I was asked to put my bags through the scanner at customs.

:)

I posted about this before, but about 18 months ago I arived in BKK about 9 in the morning. I have health problems, can't walk too fast. When I made to the immigration I saw it was packed. Each line had at least twenty people in it. I was tired from the walk so I decided to sit by the wall in a chair, and try to get some strength back before I tackled the lines. As I sat there a Thai female immigration officer came over to me and asked if I was not feeling well. I explained I was feeleing tired from the walk. She asked if I was just getting a stamp on arrival, and I said I was. She asked me for my passport, entry card, and a return ticket. I was hesident at first, but she showed me her I.D. as an immigration officer. She took the items and left. About 5 minutes later she returned with my stamped passort, card inserted, and my ticket. She told me to just show the guard the slip of paper she handed me, and I could go out. I thanked her, but she said it was just part of her job. The guard just glanced at the piece of paper and waved me through. When I left there were still people who had arrived before I did waiting in line.

Never had that happen before, but it was one of the quickest passage through immigration at the airport I ever did.

Sometimes Thailand can give good surprises as well as bad surprises.

:D

:)

I posted about this before, but about 18 months ago I arived in BKK about 9 in the morning. I have health problems, can't walk too fast. When I made to the immigration I saw it was packed. Each line had at least twenty people in it. I was tired from the walk so I decided to sit by the wall in a chair, and try to get some strength back before I tackled the lines. As I sat there a Thai female immigration officer came over to me and asked if I was not feeling well. I explained I was feeleing tired from the walk. She asked if I was just getting a stamp on arrival, and I said I was. She asked me for my passport, entry card, and a return ticket. I was hesident at first, but she showed me her I.D. as an immigration officer. She took the items and left. About 5 minutes later she returned with my stamped passort, card inserted, and my ticket. She told me to just show the guard the slip of paper she handed me, and I could go out. I thanked her, but she said it was just part of her job. The guard just glanced at the piece of paper and waved me through. When I left there were still people who had arrived before I did waiting in line.

Never had that happen before, but it was one of the quickest passage through immigration at the airport I ever did.

Sometimes Thailand can give good surprises as well as bad surprises.

:D

Good story.

My elderly Father came to Thailand on two walking sticks and was given very good priority treatment by an eagle-eyed Thai Immigration Official at the old Bangkok Airport.

Back at London Heathrow, that would simply not happen.

The Immigration at London Heathrow are pure scum.

Just my opinion.

The trouble is that now if you show the slightest sign of ill health you'll be whisked off to hospital and quarantined for flu :)

Still... freed food and lodging and pretty nurses... :D

Edited by phaethon

In nine trips starting in 2004 I have never had any significant delay. Have arrived at all hours from 10 am up unitl 2am. Always a straigh forward walk to passport control line. I have just one carry on so no delays or issues with any baggage. Lines have never really been long. Never more than 30 minutes. Counter clerks are usually not very smiling or pleasant, but never gave me any problems. When I try to talk some Thai to them, they seem to ignore it, so now I just say hello in english, and then thank you when they stamp the passport.

I still miss the old airport. The new one is too sterile and does not have much inside that really looks like you are in Thailand.

In nine trips starting in 2004 I have never had any significant delay. Have arrived at all hours from 10 am up unitl 2am. Always a straigh forward walk to passport control line. I have just one carry on so no delays or issues with any baggage. Lines have never really been long. Never more than 30 minutes. Counter clerks are usually not very smiling or pleasant, but never gave me any problems. When I try to talk some Thai to them, they seem to ignore it, so now I just say hello in english, and then thank you when they stamp the passport.

I still miss the old airport. The new one is too sterile and does not have much inside that really looks like you are in Thailand.

I've had similar flight variety including some 6 AM arrivals and haven't faced any long immigration lines. I rarely fly weekends so perhaps that helps. I think the longest was about 6 people in front of me. Once I was right behind some guy who was trying to get a visa on arrival with no outbound ticket. His trying to BS his way in cost about the time to process 3 people and someone eventually pulled him aside to deal with separately.

I don't find Thai immigration any more serious than in other countries. I can understand why people expect a different demeanor, but they're immigration agents. They do seem to be less involved with the people versus other places, but I only care about getting through as fast as possible. I'm just glad I rate indifference versus high scrutiny.

BKK has to be my favourite airport. It does help to know your way around but it has pretty well everything you need and is remarkably fast. The worst airports are narita, heathrow, wellington, and just about any Australian airport. My local airport is Perth, WA. Departures - you need to turn up 4hrs before flight to make it comfortably as the que can be massive. Arrivals - typically about 1to 2hrs to get through!

I've never had much of an ordeal getting through Suvarnabhumi. I don't see what people fuss about. I travel quite a bit...

Suvarnabhumi was Taksin's pet project. This whole anti-Suva fad was started when farangs thought they were "cool" to bash Taksin (some still do :D ); or when it made them feel like they were more "a part of Thailand" than they really are.

Yes, there are some cra.ppy things which go on in Suva; as with other airports in developing countries. :)

BKK has to be my favourite airport. It does help to know your way around but it has pretty well everything you need and is remarkably fast. The worst airports are narita, heathrow, wellington, and just about any Australian airport. My local airport is Perth, WA. Departures - you need to turn up 4hrs before flight to make it comfortably as the que can be massive. Arrivals - typically about 1to 2hrs to get through!

Narita was pretty bad when it was under construction for that new wing. Took some bus to drive between terminals. A japanese man tried to read off passenger names. Of course the names were from all over the world and even englsih speaking natives would botch the names up. After 20 minutes he gave up and we all just bull rushed the bus. That was their gate control security during that period.

My worst major US airport has always been Dallas, Texas. Both coming and going there are always problems.

BKK is ok with me.