Problems With Amex. Cheques.

My signature varies to say the least. But my passport is genuine, my SCB card and bank book too, and at least one person in the branch knew me. So I was mightily p****d off when my Amex cheque was refused. I should've cooled off but instead went to Kasikorn, the girl looked at the cheque and said cash only. The board behind her said different so in Thai I said words to the effect of 'are you joking?', 'play like a clown'. The manager took over, tried his best but in the end couldn't get an authorisation number which I doubted. I got to the truth of the matter when I spoke to a lady at an exchange booth, she explained that she was responsible for any amount lost. I went back to the SCB bank and explained they were really in no position to say no, or obliged to confiscate the cheque, or call the police, or whatever, but in no way could they just refuse. The cashier seemed to understand and obliged. I think she was swayed by the sight of my SCB paying in book.

My point, once again here we are with poor little Thailand trying to play the poverty card, and hiding behind females having to play the emotional blackmail card. This is a huge bank for freaks sake, not Somchais noddle stand, not a corner shop, nor a 7-11, or a go-go bar in Patpong. They seemed to neither understand their basic responsibility, nor know their job.

If I had to sum it up, I suppose "Thailand just dam_n well pull your weight".

My signature varies to say the least. But my passport is genuine, my SCB card and bank book too, and at least one person in the branch knew me. So I was mightily p****d off when my Amex cheque was refused. I should've cooled off but instead went to Kasikorn, the girl looked at the cheque and said cash only. The board behind her said different so in Thai I said words to the effect of 'are you joking?', 'play like a clown'. The manager took over, tried his best but in the end couldn't get an authorisation number which I doubted. I got to the truth of the matter when I spoke to a lady at an exchange booth, she explained that she was responsible for any amount lost. I went back to the SCB bank and explained they were really in no position to say no, or obliged to confiscate the cheque, or call the police, or whatever, but in no way could they just refuse. The cashier seemed to understand and obliged. I think she was swayed by the sight of my SCB paying in book.

My point, once again here we are with poor little Thailand trying to play the poverty card, and hiding behind females having to play the emotional blackmail card. This is a huge bank for freaks sake, not Somchais noddle stand, not a corner shop, nor a 7-11, or a go-go bar in Patpong. They seemed to neither understand their basic responsibility, nor know their job.

It's easy to understand why you are upset about that transaction. Who wouldn't be? But if what the exchange lady said is right, that if it's dishonoured by Amex the teller would be obligated to refund the bank...how much did you ask to cash? Translate it to baht - how many month's salary would that cost her? If the bank actually *does* make the teller pay it back, it's a draconian policy by the banks, and needs to be changed inmsho. If the bank *doesn't* make the teller refund the money, then it's just a stupid policy toward its customers, and should be changed. Either way, TiT - and they're not gonna change it.

It's easy to understand why you are upset about that transaction. Who wouldn't be? But if what the exchange lady said is right, that if it's dishonoured by Amex the teller would be obligated to refund the bank...how much did you ask to cash? Translate it to baht - how many month's salary would that cost her? If the bank actually *does* make the teller pay it back, it's a draconian policy by the banks, and needs to be changed inmsho. If the bank *doesn't* make the teller refund the money, then it's just a stupid policy toward its customers, and should be changed. Either way, TiT - and they're not gonna change it.

It was a large denomination, 200 pounds, but read on.

Well I'm a bit calmer today, and I suppose I should have gone to a main branch and spoken with the manager first, but what a to do! This is a major bank behaving like a 7/11. The procedure is quite simple, in the case of doubt the cashier can authorise by computerised authorisation or by speaking to a rep. Once this process is complete Amex are obliged to pay.

The assistant I spoke to at Amex said it was a common problem, so I'd surmise that any competent person would be well aware what to do. Even though I've been here 6 years on and off I still can't get used to the silliness and neglect of these people, and it's an infantility that runs the whole length. It's as if the cashier can decide what they want to do full stop. So no I disagree with the 'put yourself in their shoes scenario', as it justs another way of excusing Thais for something no other country would get away with, this is not a disadvantaged country in any way whatsoever.

Still here I am trying to make Thais work to rest of the world standards, and as you point out that is perhaps the ultimate folly, it's just been one financial headache after another and I'm feeling a bit unhinged of late.

I have not yet cashed an Amex cheque, but I can relate somehow. I once was made fun of because I was asking for a "Bank Draft". After a few minutes she said "Oh you mean Brank Draappptt?" and started on laughing with her collegues because I pronounced it "Draft" and not "Draapptt". The customers at the counter were all looking at me with their Thai smiles giggling and having a good time. Little did they know I thought - it's an english word.

They have no sense of professionalism, good service and are generally poorly educated and come out with their primitive culture thinking they're it.

Sorry I am a little confused but...Are you saying it was because you asked for cash instead of depositing the check?

Or Did they not like your signature? Is that what your saying?

I also bank with SCB & Bangkok Bank.

Last time I was there I was putting in multiple thousands of USD via American Express Checks & never once had a problem. Considering how many times I signed I am sure my sig varied too.

Was it because you signed it before you came into the bank? I have heard of many being refused that way.

Just curious & glad it worked out for you in the end.

Edited by flying

Sorry I am a little confused but...Are you saying it was because you asked for cash instead of depositing the check?

Or Did they not like your signature? Is that what your saying?

I also bank with SCB & Bangkok Bank.

Last time I was there I was putting in multiple thousands of USD via American Express Checks & never once had a problem. Considering how many times I signed I am sure my sig varied too.

Was it because you signed it before you came into the bank? I have heard of many being refused that way.

Just curious & glad it worked out for you in the end.

I asked for cash, but this was not a factor I think as I showed my SCB visa card as extra proof of identity and also to show that my sig. varies as it does on my passport and numerous other cards.

No, I signed in front of the cashier and the cashier next to her knew me.

What's more the first girl authorised by telephone.

It's just a typical Thai story of lack of adherence to procedure and avoidance of responsibility, and basically doing or not doing what the heck they want.

I think the telling factor here is using a sub branch (Fortune Town) as opposed to a main branch in Sukhumvit, and in future I intend to see a manager/supervisor first.

But would be interesting to know if a cashier really does have to pay in case of loss of a properly authorised cheque (I really don't think so) or whether that's just one more cr#p excuse in the reportoire, the other obvious one being 'system down'.

These people take customer service to new lows IMHO.

I had similar experience a few years ago, went into BKK Bank, in front of cashier signed 20 cashier checks, showed her drivers license, passport, credit cards, she took to manager and they still refused to cash them as my signature on bottom did not match (their opinion) the signature on top. Final solution, took to my bank when I got home and got refund.

I had similar experience a few years ago, went into BKK Bank, in front of cashier signed 20 cashier checks, showed her drivers license, passport, credit cards, she took to manager and they still refused to cash them as my signature on bottom did not match (their opinion) the signature on top. Final solution, took to my bank when I got home and got refund.

Not a final solution of course if you happened to depend on the money ! To think she let you sign each one first.

Happened to be having a drink with a friend who by chance went in to same branch (as mine) today. He's going to Cambodia on a visa run and wanted a few dollars, so he handed over 1000bt. The cashier wanted to photocopy his passport. He lost his rag in much the same way I did. I mean why? they had machines to check if the 1000bt was real, if you want to change a 1000bt note to 500bts say you wouldn't need to show would you?

Are we missing something here ?, because I think we're dealing with some extremely stupid people full stop.

Otherwise, you know I've been about a bit and when people act like this it can be to cover up their own guilty conscience. :)

I've used amex cheques for years in LOS, and large denomination ones - 500 GBP. I always wait until they authorise the cheque before I sign it. Never had a problem. If they decide your signatures not up to scratch, don't think there's alot you can do. They do have an office in Bangkok, though. Worst comes to worst you could always head down there.

American Express (Thai) Company, Limited, S.P. Building, 388 Phaholyothin Road, Samsennai, Phayathai, Bangkok 10400, Thailand.

• 2 months later...
I've used amex cheques for years in LOS, and large denomination ones - 500 GBP. I always wait until they authorise the cheque before I sign it. Never had a problem. If they decide your signatures not up to scratch, don't think there's alot you can do. They do have an office in Bangkok, though. Worst comes to worst you could always head down there.

American Express (Thai) Company, Limited, S.P. Building, 388 Phaholyothin Road, Samsennai, Phayathai, Bangkok 10400, Thailand.

Has anyone ever had any problems cashing larger denomination cheques, say, 1000 CAD in LOS?

Has anyone ever had any problems cashing larger denomination cheques, say, 1000 CAD in LOS?

I've cashed US $500 at several places including the bank's exchange only kiosks. I was told by Bangkok Bank that US $1,000 is no problem. What they normally do is call and I guess check the serial number. Or some banks seem to be able to type the number into the computer and check.

I've always given them the cheque first, and asked them if it was ok to cash that much. They run it, then hand it back to me to sign.

American Express does check the signatures. I think their old policy was even if the cheque is reported stolen, as long as you followed their procedures and the signatures match, they'd pay. That's to encourage merchants to take them. Now that it's easier to check if they're lost/stolen, there might be more restrictions. But the signature is very important. A cashier working for me at a job many years ago took a cheque with a poor match, but which appeared to be the same person's writing. Even though she'd checked id, AMEX refused payment.