Local Thai Neighbours Call Me 'mr Bean' And Now Farang

syd barrett

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a nephew in his teens that does actually resemble Harry Potter to the Thais,

whenever he comes over to visit i find it ammusing that all the Thais call him Harry Potter and some actually really think he is Harry Potter, especially when they ask me as i just go along with it and say that im he's personel bodygaurd and that Harry is taking a vacation before he makes his next movie.

The girls go absolutely crazy to the point where they want his autogragh and picture on their mobiles! a few times i've had to fend them off him as though i really am his bodygaurd, it really is hilarious, i now know what it's like to be with a celebrity out in public but Thailand style only.

It is all in the perception. Thais LIKE Mr Bean. They see his good points and not his bad. He makes people laugh and laughter is a good thing to Thai people. Look at the stupid (by farang standards) slapstick comic shows they like. They play those stupid shows on the bus and all the Thais laugh. The buffoon actors are all popular figures to Thais, but not by our western standards. The actors to us look like nerds and dorks.

My best guess is you make your neighbours laugh and they like you. As someone else said... Wear your Mr Bean label as a badge.

My best guess is you make your neighbours laugh and they like you. As someone else said... Wear your Mr Bean label as a badge.

I agree...

So, I wouldn't worry about it too much, Mr Bean...oops, I mean Syd :)

i've never heard any thais calling anyone mr. bean before i read this thread. then this morning outside my hotel i heard a bar girl call a passerby "hello mr. bean". remembering this thread, i asked my girlfriend what she thought, if a thai calls a farang "mr. bean" is it an insult. she said of course it's an insult, mr. bean is very stupid but he thinks he's clever. yeah he gets alot of laughs, but they are laughing "at" him not "with" him. don't want the no-hurt-feelings brigade making the OP think it's cuz he's lovable or something.

i prefer "hello hum sun man" myself.

I also get called Britney Spears or Avril Lavigne by quite a few Thai people.. Maybe because they don't know any other foreign females to compare me to? ...

What is this Barbie? An excuse to massage your ego again?

Obviously "Mr Bean" is a derogatory name.

People calling you a Britney Spears or Avril Lavigne look alike are paying you a huge complement because in real life you don't come close.

No females would get upset about such a comparison.

Would you be as jovial if they were calling you Twiggy, or Fattie, for example.

I asked my girlfriend what she thought, if a Thai calls a farang "Mr. Bean" is it an insult? She said of course it's an insult, Mr. Bean is very stupid, but he thinks he's clever.

That is why I feel so depressed about it.

I have only sausage and black pudding and tripe to cheer me up.

Thanks for the opinions.

Well it could be worse or better, Sausage Syd. I once met this Thai guy who claimed to have a Mr. Bean fetish and that he just had to have me because I looked like Mr. Bean. I didn't detect any hint of an insult but too strange for me. Also in my eyes I look nothing like Mr. Bean.

Edited by Jingthing

I also get called Britney Spears or Avril Lavigne by quite a few Thai people.. Maybe because they don't know any other foreign females to compare me to? ...

People calling you a Britney Spears or Avril Lavigne look alike are paying you a huge complement because in real life you don't come close.

Don't worry Trop-Trop.... I don't need 'ego massages', medication, steriods ect to feel good about myself... :D

Who said I'm getting upset about people saying I look like Britney spears and Avril Lavigne?

So you've seen me in real life then huh, Trop-trop.. Oh no.. back to stalking me again :)

Muahahaa.. Take it easy, dude!

I once met this Thai guy who claimed to have a Mr. Bean fetish and that he just had to have me because I looked like Mr. Bean. I didn't detect any hint of an insult but too strange for me. Also in my eyes I look nothing like Mr. Bean.

:)

Post a pic and we will give you our opinion :D

I dont think that Meg will know who Twiggy is Tropo - thats mine and your generation :)

Yep, Im not as old as you guys ( Sorry Pattaya_Girl :D ) , but I know who she is because she used to appear on 'America's next top model'

Why would I be insulted at being called Twiggy? Wasn't she a top supermodel? From what I saw when she was younger, she was very pretty....

Don't worry Trop-Trop.... I don't need 'ego massages', medication, steriods ect to feel good about myself... :D

Who said I'm getting upset about people saying I look like Britney spears and Avril Lavigne?

So you've seen me in real life then huh, Trop-trop.. Oh no.. back to stalking me again :)

Muahahaa.. Take it easy, dude!

I didn't say you were getting upset about being likened to Britney or Avril.

The point was that your post was out of place on a thread where a member is complaining about being called by a derogatory name.

Your post clearly came through as an excuse to show the board how hot you think you are. Changing you avatar made it even more blatantly obvious.

After you changed your avatar, I glanced at your profile and noticed you had a gallery. I'm now aware that I had the privilege of accompanying you and your red-haired friend's ghostly apparitions on a visa run to Cambodia several months back. I'm also now aware that anyone calling you Britney or Avril are paying you a huge complement.

BTW, nice work on the photos, but they really don't do you justice. :D

I didn't say you were getting upset about being likened to Britney or Avril.

The point was that your post was out of place on a thread where a member is complaining about being called by a derogatory name.

Your post clearly came through as an excuse to show the board how hot you think you are. Changing you avatar made it even more blatantly obvious.

After you changed your avatar, I glanced at your profile and noticed you had a gallery. I'm now aware that I had the privilege of accompanying you and your red-haired friend's ghostly apparitions on a visa run to Cambodia several months back. I'm also now aware that anyone calling you Britney or Avril are paying you a huge complement.

BTW, nice work on the photos, but they really don't do you justice. :D

oooooooh! Cat fight! Now, now Tropo.. There's no need for personal insults! :D

Ok, I don't really have the time to sit here arguing with people like you, but I suppose I can spare a few minutes to fill you in.. :D

So, you're trying to say that you had never seen my photo album until now? C'mon.. You know that is not true! Don't try to make it look like Ive quickly added these photo's onto Thaivisa, I opened my photo album months ago already, and you know it :D You really do make me laugh. Trying to pretend that you have JUST seen my picture. Do you really expect me to believe that? :D

My post isn't 'out of place' at all. The OP wanted to know whether he should be offended by being called 'Mr Bean'. I posted about my experience with nicknames received from Thai People to show that they may not be trying to offend him.

I don't need to come onto Thaivisa and try to show everyone "How hot I think I am" as I know many, many ThaiVisa members in person and they all know very well what I look like. I also attended the Thaivisa BBQ Party in Pattaya last year where hundreds of members attended so most members on here already know very well what I look like..

Before I end this, I just want to say that at least I have the guts to post my picture on here for all the world to see. Why don't you post your picture on here for us all to inspect and give our views on how you look. I bet its easy for you to sit typing away anonymously behind your little computer screen, insulting a 20 year old young lady and insulting her and her friend. Shame on you!

You should have introduced yourself instead of sitting anonymously on the Visa run.. :D Something to hide? Like I said, no need for personal insults about my friend either. It must be fun sitting there anonymously insulting and picking on young ladies, huh? What a gentleman you are. :)

Now now, Don’t get your knickers in a twist .. :P Like I said earlier.. It takes a LOT to post your personal picture on a forum of thousands of people. At least I have the guts to do it. Why don’t you? C'mon.. Show ya face! :D

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH

I remember a time when this board was not quite so contentious, or is it just tongue in someone's cheek?

Nick names are meant to be fun, have fun or go post about swine flu.

Syd may or may not look like Mr. Bean, meg_2003 may or may not look like barbie, I may or may not look like what was it Mick Fleetwood and Kris Kristopherson ( jeez I wish).

I like what one poster said, wear a nickname given you as a badge of honor, maybe one you give yourself is a tad tarnished.

SWRWS name is rather scatological in Thai. She doesn't shy away from the fact and most everyone remembers her with a smile and/or chuckle.

Get it nick name = fun. Board getting boring= not fun

kdf

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH

I remember a time when this board was not quite so contentious, or is it just tongue in someone's cheek?

Nope, Its just Tropo getting all touchy again :D I guess he is longing for a cat fight.

Long time no see KDF.. :D At least you know what me and my 'red haired friend' look like in real life :)

Meg_2003 and Pattaya-girl, I mentioned in another thread that it had also been toooo long no see for me.

I well remember the 2 of you and I got to say 3 to 5 words to Ken at Fairtex also so that makes 3.

I thought then and for quite a while what interesting stories might lurk within y'all.

Your presence at one of the Friday nite crawls would have been welcome.

Now unfortunately, we end up in ear splitting go go bars, where no one can hear anyone's nickname or story.

Tall tails and talking story are holy sacraments from my Texican and Hay why in roots.

Yours might well be worth hearing. If the Friday nite group becomes again what it once was, think seriously re the invite y'all will receive from me.

kdf

Meg_2003 and Pattaya-girl, I mentioned in another thread that it had also been toooo long no see for me.

I well remember the 2 of you and I got to say 3 to 5 words to Ken at Fairtex also so that makes 3.

I thought then and for quite a while what interesting stories might lurk within y'all.

Your presence at one of the Friday nite crawls would have been welcome.

Now unfortunately, we end up in ear splitting go go bars, where no one can hear anyone's nickname or story.

Tall tails and talking story are holy sacraments from my Texican and Hay why in roots.

Yours might well be worth hearing. If the Friday nite group becomes again what it once was, think seriously re the invite y'all will receive from me.

kdf

Haha.. Yep.. We were kinda shy at the ThaiVisa Party.. Didn't really know anyone there.. :D :D

Sure, me and Pattaya Girl have talked about joining you on one of the Friday nights.. But we just don't like Go go's (We wouldn't mind if it was one of the Go go bars in Boyz town though :) Just joking :D )

We've been to the Pattaya beer Garden before which we enjoyed, so we will keep our eye on the Friday night thread!

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH

Nope, Its just Tropo getting all touchy again :D I guess he is longing for a cat fight.

Long time no see KDF.. :D At least you know what me and my 'red haired friend' look like in real life :)

You look tickityboo to me Meg would have loved the opportunity at trying to make you cheat on Kenny Ken on what was hopefully my final visit to Pattaya, i always think its good when a girl knows she's pretty, and keeps herself looking that way.

Anyway there are plenty of Baldrick lookalikes around Pattaya should you ever need a side kick Rowan.

Edited by sanmiguel

Syd, if the Thai's refer to you as Mr Bean, I would take it is a jovial compliment, I don't see any offence in the name or the Character, my Thai wife feels that it is probably a warm hearted nickname and that if they wanted to, they could refer to you in Thai with other derogatory names .

Mr Bean is a classic comedian, a 'farang' well liked by Thai's, both adults and children alike. Personally Syd, like others have commented, I'd accept the name with pride, it's far better to be familiarly known with affection than being ignored with comments made behind your back.

So, Syd, sorry...Mr Bean, all the very best.......... :)

oooooooh! Cat fight! Now, now Tropo.. There's no need for personal insults! :D

Ok, I don't really have the time to sit here arguing with people like you, but I suppose I can spare a few minutes to fill you in.. :D

So, you're trying to say that you had never seen my photo album until now? C'mon.. You know that is not true! Don't try to make it look like Ive quickly added these photo's onto Thaivisa, I opened my photo album months ago already, and you know it :D You really do make me laugh. Trying to pretend that you have JUST seen my picture. Do you really expect me to believe that? :D

My post isn't 'out of place' at all. The OP wanted to know whether he should be offended by being called 'Mr Bean'. I posted about my experience with nicknames received from Thai People to show that they may not be trying to offend him.

I don't need to come onto Thaivisa and try to show everyone "How hot I think I am" as I know many, many ThaiVisa members in person and they all know very well what I look like. I also attended the Thaivisa BBQ Party in Pattaya last year where hundreds of members attended so most members on here already know very well what I look like..

Before I end this, I just want to say that at least I have the guts to post my picture on here for all the world to see. Why don't you post your picture on here for us all to inspect and give our views on how you look. I bet its easy for you to sit typing away anonymously behind your little computer screen, insulting a 20 year old young lady and insulting her and her friend. Shame on you!

You should have introduced yourself instead of sitting anonymously on the Visa run.. :D Something to hide? Like I said, no need for personal insults about my friend either. It must be fun sitting there anonymously insulting and picking on young ladies, huh? What a gentleman you are. :)

Now now, Don’t get your knickers in a twist .. :D Like I said earlier.. It takes a LOT to post your personal picture on a forum of thousands of people. At least I have the guts to do it. Why don’t you? C'mon.. Show ya face! :D

If you don't have time to argue, save yourself the trouble and don't, but you can't helf yourself, can you. Your posts are equally peppered with insults, so there's no need to beat that drum.

There's also no need to turn this into a comparison between you and me. What I look like personally is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if I'm the ugliest person on this forum. The comparisons are between you and Britney, Avril and Barbie, are they not? How I look doesn't change anything. Whether I post photos doesn't either.

I've never seen your photo album before. Up to you if you want to believe it... in fact I wish I hadn't looked in the first place so I couldn't make the connection with Meg the internet girl and the real life specimen because now that I know who you are I'll be seeing you all over town. It's just another clue you've got tickets on yourself, thinking all members would take the time to view your personal profile.

Now you're claiming it took courage for you to post your pics on this forum. Give us a break. You're extremely proud of your photos and couldn't wait to post them up.

If you're going to compare yourself with megastars and post photos in an effort to prove it, you should be able to handle a little flack from people who aren't as convinced.

Where is your logic? You said this:

Quote:

"My post isn't 'out of place' at all. The OP wanted to know whether he should be offended by being called 'Mr Bean'. I posted about my experience with nicknames received from Thai People to show that they may not be trying to offend him. "

You're trying to say that because you've been paid complements by being likened to Britney and Avril that a person being called Mr Bean should know that they were not trying to offend him?

How did you work that out?

Obviously if the OP was likened to Brad Pitt or some other handsome megastar he wouldn't have posted up here about his problem, would he?

remembering this thread, i asked my girlfriend what she thought, if a thai calls a farang "mr. bean" is it an insult. she said of course it's an insult, mr. bean is very stupid but he thinks he's clever. yeah he gets alot of laughs, but they are laughing "at" him not "with" him.

There you have it Syd, you are the nouveau 'falang khi nok' and/or 'falang loo mahk'. Sorry.

^^^^ I have a nickname for tropo.* The clue is it's a meteorological term.

I was thinking that maybe he hit on our sweet Meg on that visa run that he so vividly remembers from all those years ago but our cute Meg doesn't even recall the event. So maybe tropo DID hit on our pretty Meg and she did knock him back but it was such a piss-poor hit, our beautiful Meg can't even recall the non-event.

Now that makes our tropo really, really sad. So sad that his post count drops markedly... until he sees something from gorgeous Meg and all bitter & twisted, off he goes like a bottle rocket.

* What rhymes with 'bad cold front'?

Funny....Just reading this and I am being called the exact same.....It is just there way of dealing with their own shortcomings and inability to deal with the different way we Falangs are doing things. They do everything slow and usually 3 or 4 times and it is still not done right. So for them we are Mr.Beans if we do things the normal fast way,for them it is already hectic and they would probably either have hart pain or headache or my stomach hot or some other bs.

I understand people getting annoyed by the lack of respect we are experiencing by our lovely hosts. :)

strange that, I often get labelled Bernard Breslaw, Big Bill Werbinek (the dead snooker player) or even Shrek on occasions. Am I offended? No of course not, these are all great people of our time.

Syd, embrace the Mr. Bean label you have been given.

strange that, I often get labelled Bernard Breslaw, Big Bill Werbinek (the dead snooker player) or even Shrek on occasions. Am I offended? No of course not, these are all great people of our time.

Syd, embrace the Mr. Bean label you have been given.

I love it when Bernard Breslaw says "Syyyyyydddd".