Airport Arrival Observations

kenk3z

Just want to mention my observations this time around on arrival at the airport - some of this has been discussed before.........

1) Airline did not have the new Immigration Forms, so everyone was filling them out while standing in line. These are the new forms that ask for more information about you - including your annual income...

2) Passport lady swiped my passport and, to me, had a look of shock on her face. :o I have no idea what that was about and nothing was different in processing beyond that. I don't have any known reason to be on a "watch" list at Thai immigration - only thing I can think of is that its my third trip here in a year. Is that particularly unusual?

3) As you have all heard, no Customs forms required now. You still have "Declare" and "No Declare" exits - and I suppose there is information available somewhere to tell you what you need to declare. It used to be on the customs forms. :D

4) To exit the airport, there are at least two doors out. The first is near the baggage pickup area and has little traffic. The second runs you through the "gauntlet" of people trying to find people (holding up signs) and the "limo" people trying to sell you a ride into the city for 1000 Baht. I usually pass through and get in the taxi line. Well, this time there was a Thai policeman standing there with a girl, both watching all the exiting passengers. Lots of potential stories going on in my mind about that... :D Anyway, as I get closer I hear the Thai policeman say to the girl, in English - "How about this guy?" That's when a lot of "scam alert" buzzers started going off - why did he say that in English and what were they trying to do? I don't have any idea if they were looking for an individual or someone to set up.... She was a nice looking girl. All I could do was not flinch and keep looking and walking straight ahead. I think on future trips I'm going out the first door and walk along the sidewalk outside to get in the taxi line.

5) Dang it, now even the taxis in the airport taxi line don't want to use the meter. Not an excessive rip-off at 300 baht to get to Sukhumvit, but I prefer to have the meter and then decide the tip myself.

kenk3z

Still one of the easiest, most convienent airports in the world is my observation.

Mere mnutes to get through immigration almost everytime. Unlike the U.S., you can go to the Thai nationals line if you want, since the poor clerk will be too embarrased to tell you what you did wrong anyway.

Transportation is mere feet from the door. Thanks for the bit.

New immigration forms are a bit silly, but at least have large enough spaces to wrtie in properly.

Customs - What Customs? :o

Gauntlet, yeah, a bit of a pain, but easy enough if you know what you're up to and like CDNVIC says, an elevator trip upstairs cures all. If the taxis in the queque refuse to use a meter, a wuick talk wth a cop will cure that too.

I find the best way is to push through the mob, go upstairs for a beer, then come deal with transport after the mob has subsided.

cv

Top idea! Disappointed with myself for not thinking of that one myself..

Believe they've got security guard nazi's at the top departures now stopping you from getting in a cab there, thus avoiding the 50 baht extra fee. :o