Marco's French Restaurant

gatorhead333

Daffietje,

thank you for keeping on topic!! I order the carpaccio too ,never had before ,this place has introduced me to really fine southern french food that otherwise i would have never known. what a wonderful dish!! yes, that was my point of BS who cares about drunks wanting to beat people at low so spicy or the personalities.... the thread was about wonderful, fine southern french food restaurant at very good prices... and has anybody tried the place... thanks for tighting the thread up by being on point!

Just to be nitpicking: Carpaccio is an Italian dish :)

/ Priceless

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . by the way i am almost sure chez marco is closed sundays but he is open 72 hours a week there in person cooking food mon. thru sat.

Guess that explains why, when I went by at lunch today to try to make a reservation for tonight, it wasn't open . . .

i hate to do this but.....but for resies:

Chez Marco

Phone #--053-207-032

cell ph#--084-364-7294

address:

15/7 Loi Kroh Rd. T. Chong Klan

A. Muang Chinga Mai ,Thailand

Daffietje,

thank you for keeping on topic!! I order the carpaccio too ,never had before ,this place has introduced me to really fine southern french food that otherwise i would have never known. what a wonderful dish!! yes, that was my point of BS who cares about drunks wanting to beat people at low so spicy or the personalities.... the thread was about wonderful, fine southern french food restaurant at very good prices... and has anybody tried the place... thanks for tighting the thread up by being on point!

/ Priceless

As mentioned before earlier....Marcos southern french food is a fusion of italian,greek southern french food.. looking at world map you wll see these places are close and over the centuries cuisines " fuse" somewhat.. hense "fusion" ...southern french mediterainian food at chez marcos !!!

Edited by gatorhead333

Daffietje,

/ Priceless

As mentioned before earlier....Marcos southern french food is a fusion of italian,greek southern french food.. looking at world map you wll see these places are close and over the centuries cuisines " fuse" somewhat.. hense "fusion" ...southern french mediterainian food at chez marcos !!!

OK, OK, I said I was nitpicking :D If you want to include Italy and Greece in Southern France, that's up to you.

BTW, "over the centuries" may be exaggerating a bit. According to several sources on carpaccio "It was created by Giuseppe Cipriani in 1950 at Harry's Bar in Venice, Italy. Carpaccio was named in honour of the great Renaissance painter Vittore Carpaccio because the colours in the dish reminded him of paintings by Carpaccio." :D

/ Priceless

Marco's does indeed have Italian items on his menu, but the style is quite different from most of the Italian run places around town which can be quite simular. Personally, I'm for as much variety as possible when it comes to good food.

I'm guessing that Marco's crusty bread is French, rather than Italian, but it is very nice, wherever it is from.

Edited by Ulysses G.

that ...................... i was juts amazed with his consistancy and when i took clients there all of them freaked out on the food.

Gatorhead, quickly click the "quote" and then "reply" button under posts that you want to reply to.

Many people have problems using this function at first, but once you do it right, it is easy. :)

Thanks UG.

Now let's see what comes up.

that ...................... i was juts amazed with his consistancy and when i took clients there all of them freaked out on the food.

Gatorhead, quickly click the "quote" and then "reply" button under posts that you want to reply to.

Many people have problems using this function at first, but once you do it right, it is easy. :)

Thanks UG.

Now let's see what comes up.

Absolutely magic. As Ta22 would say "wa wa wa" :D

I order the carpaccio too ,never had before ,this place has introduced me to really fine southern french food .../...

??!

Carpaccio ... c'est quoi, ça ?? :)

(Mods, please shift to best Italian restaurant thread :D )

Out of interest, why is it being described as a southern French restaurant? I mean, what's 'southern' about the cuisine there? Or is that Marco's description, or on a menu, or somthing?

There's a vast difference between the 'southern' cuisine north of the Pyrenees, and that of Provence, or indeed Lyon (which some consider to be in the south).

OK, I deleted some of gatorheads posts of simple quotes that had no attached comment. No biggie; it takes a while for members to learn the system.

I went to Chez Marcos last night for the first time. I did not identify myself, nor greet the owner and his partner, who were obvious to me.

I sat outside on the patio, and thoroughly perused the menu, and what other people were ordering at other tables. Some of which looked quite good.

The owner seemed very personable- walked around to greet customers, etc. Again I want to emphasis that I had no contact with him, or his restaurant previously, and don't know any of the people there.

I will not go into detail into what I ordered. Suffice to say I have spent some time in the south of France and am more than familiar with the cuisine there. I have never worked in the food industry, but am a serious chowhound (google it) and foodie, and an amateur home chef. I will go several more times to try other dishes, but I can say that I was favorably impressed with the quality of the ingredients and the presentation.

Overall I give this restaurant a big thumbs up for providing quality food, at a middle market price.

Bon appetit!

OK, I deleted some of gatorheads posts of simple quotes that had no attached comment. No biggie; it takes a while for members to learn the system.

I went to Chez Marcos last night for the first time. I did not identify myself, nor greet the owner and his partner, who were obvious to me.

I sat outside on the patio, and thoroughly perused the menu, and what other people were ordering at other tables. Some of which looked quite good.

The owner seemed very personable- walked around to greet customers, etc. Again I want to emphasis that I had no contact with him, or his restaurant previously, and don't know any of the people there.

I will not go into detail into what I ordered. Suffice to say I have spent some time in the south of France and am more than familiar with the cuisine there. I have never worked in the food industry, but am a serious chowhound (google it) and foodie, and an amateur home chef. I will go several more times to try other dishes, but I can say that I was favorably impressed with the quality of the ingredients and the presentation.

Overall I give this restaurant a big thumbs up for providing quality food, at a middle market price.

Bon appetit!

Google "chowhound?!" Anyway, you have provided what looks like a knowledgeable recommendation to me.

Now, about, portions, the quantity of food served, given reference to somewhere above by our friend UG who apparently hasn't eaten at home for something like 20 years and only keeps fruit juice in the fridge, which is truly remarkable. I might have been disappointed with how much I have been served at a restaurant, but I really can't recall a restaurant that didn't provide --- altogether --- an adequate amount of food I ordered. I have occasionally asked for more of something, usually very good bread, or something like that (or grazed a bit on whatever my dinner partner has that looks good that she or he might not be finishing)! Anyway, it is fun to share a taste, of course!

If there is a problem anywhere about portions, it might be in America where the amount of food served in chain restaurants, at least, can really be awesome. The problem, then, is not too little, but too much. Of course, America is notable for its huge percentage of obese people. As "Western" food tastes become more popular around the world, it is also known that serious health, including proportional and age-based weight, problems begin to rise. And that includes Thailand, apparently. And this site often hosts searches for the best hamburger meal ???!!!! Oy!!

Well, I keep food in my fridge and enjoy eating both at home and out. I enjoy it and don't worry about portions. Americans and apparently some other gourmand here in Chiang Mai might have a problem, however. There are Greenbay Packers (American professional football players) who pack over 100k; there are some gourmand right here in our town who pack over 100k, or something like that, and don't do much more than walk to a restaurant!

Edited by Mapguy

Chez Marco restaurant has its versions of Carpaccio i think three kinds i eat the raw tuna in live oil and spices he also has a thai raw tuna which has ginger and chilies ,has several spagetties .... but now i am going to get another history lesson most likely about italy or something.... hey ,we are talking a southern french food in chiang mai on loi kroe street ...chez marco , who cares if carpaccio is from italy or africa for that matter ...it is on the menu in this chefs style and is great /one of my favorites because it is healthy and 150 baht !!

Edited by gatorhead333

Per the Wiki.

According to Arrigo Cipriani, the present-day owner of Harry's Bar, Carpaccio was invented at Harry's Bar in Venice, where it was first served to the countess Amalia Nani Mocenigo[1] in 1950 when she informed the bar's owner that her doctor had recommended she eat only raw meat.[citation needed] It consisted of thin slices of raw beef dressed with a mustard sauce.[1] The dish was named Carpaccio by Giuseppe Cipriani, the bar's former owner, in reference to the Venetian painter Vittore Carpaccio, because the colours of the dish reminded him of paintings by Carpaccio.[1] According to another story of the genesis of this famous dish, it was born at the Savini Restaurant in Galleria Vittorio Emanuele in Milan. A wealthy lady, who was an everyday customer, was indeed told by her doctor to eat only raw meat. Unfortunately, at the time, it was not socially acceptable that a lady of her status would order "raw meat" at the most elegant restaurant in the city. It was the waiter who suggested her to use a different name for it. Apparently a painting by Carpaccio was hanging on the wall at the Savini at the time, and the waiter suggested Carpaccio as the "code name" for the dish, so she would not be embarrassed when ordering it.

Anyway, there are similar dishes in many places around the world.

[edit]

Edited by Mapguy

Daffietje,

/ Priceless

OK, OK, I said I was nitpicking :D If you want to include Italy and Greece in Southern France, that's up to you.

BTW, "over the centuries" may be exaggerating a bit. According to several sources on carpaccio "It was created by Giuseppe Cipriani in 1950 at Harry's Bar in Venice, Italy. Carpaccio was named in honour of the because the colours in the dish reminded him of paintings by Carpaccio." :D

/ Priceless

hey you want to see COLORS ??? great post !!! you bring us full circle !! When served Chez Marcos dishes they are art pieces with all the colors he incorporates into them . it is remarkable!!!!!! his carpaccio raw beef is justs beautiful!!! the colors man... the colors.....

The great Renaissance painter Vittore Carpaccio would be stoked out while gazing down and grazing down the raw sliced beef capaccio!!

in fact it might well inspire Mr. Vittore Carpaccio to jump right out of his casket and crank out a few more masterpieces after grazing out on all the colors and the great protein kick from such a such a beautiful dish!!

Exaggerating ?Europe has existed for many,many centuries . people come and go... place to place and often bring their spice jars with them.

going back on topic: when you have a great chef he takes a little bit of this( italy) and a little bit of that(greece and islands) combines with what he has grown up with... southern france and maybe, just maybe creates a taste sensation for us folks up here in little old CM.

Edited by gatorhead333

Per the Wiki.

According to Arrigo Cipriani, the present-day owner of Harry's Bar, Carpaccio was invented at Harry's Bar in Venice, where it was first served to the countess Amalia Nani Mocenigo[1] in 1950 when she informed the bar's owner that her doctor had recommended she eat only raw meat.[citation needed] It consisted of thin slices of raw beef dressed with a mustard sauce.[1] The dish was named Carpaccio by Giuseppe Cipriani, the bar's former owner, in reference to the Venetian painter Vittore Carpaccio, because the colours of the dish reminded him of paintings by Carpaccio.[1] According to another story of the genesis of this famous dish, it was born at the Savini Restaurant in Galleria Vittorio Emanuele in Milan. A wealthy lady, who was an everyday customer, was indeed told by her doctor to eat only raw meat. Unfortunately, at the time, it was not socially acceptable that a lady of her status would order "raw meat" at the most elegant restaurant in the city. It was the waiter who suggested her to use a different name for it. Apparently a painting by Carpaccio was hanging on the wall at the Savini at the time, and the waiter suggested Carpaccio as the "code name" for the dish, so she would not be embarrassed when ordering it.

Anyway, there are similar dishes in many places around the world.

[edit]

yeh even here in chiang mai loi kroe street!!! hey great story very interesting.. now i have something to think about as i am dining on carpaccio at chez marcos.. i will use the "code name " when i order this great dish. very cool story!!

Edited by gatorhead333

I have also deleted a few off topic posts.

We are not discussing Spicy, or human trafficking, or the despair of the human condition here.

We are discussing Chez Marcos. :)

Three cheers !!.. all that spicy stuff was way off base ............

thanks from almost everyone !!

by christ your a boring {snipped}

i hope youre food has a slight bit more inventiveness. YOU SOOUND BORING

dont put on your specials board Handsome chef. YOU ARE MEDIOCRE, food; mediocre..... YAWN. Go out of business a la took khun te ne.

Bon appetit!

Google "chowhound?!" Anyway, you have provided what looks like a knowledgeable recommendation to me.

Now, about, portions, the quantity of food served, given reference to somewhere above by our friend UG who apparently hasn't eaten at home for something like 20 years and only keeps fruit juice in the fridge, which is truly remarkable. I might have been disappointed with how much I have been served at a restaurant, but I really can't recall a restaurant that didn't provide --- altogether --- an adequate amount of food I ordered. I have occasionally asked for more of something, usually very good bread, or something like that (or grazed a bit on whatever my dinner partner has that looks good that she or he might not be finishing)! Anyway, it is fun to share a taste, of course!

If there is a problem anywhere about portions, it might be in America where the amount of food served in chain restaurants, at least, can really be awesome. The problem, then, is not too little, but too much. Of course, America is notable for its huge percentage of obese people. As "Western" food tastes become more popular around the world, it is also known that serious health, including proportional and age-based weight, problems begin to rise. And that includes Thailand, apparently. And this site often hosts searches for the best hamburger meal ???!!!! Oy!!

Well, I keep food in my fridge and enjoy eating both at home and out. I enjoy it and don't worry about portions. Americans and apparently some other gourmand here in Chiang Mai might have a problem, however. There are Greenbay Packers (American professional football players) who pack over 100k; there are some gourmand right here in our town who pack over 100k, or something like that, and don't do much more than walk to a restaurant!

WHAT ARE U SAYING??? look at europe ,australia or maybe it is trick photography but on the tube i see obese people everywhere in european countries....

way off topic ,this rant is prime for deletion since this thead is not a health lesson and the word "portions" is quite an arbitrary term with no definitions so could be one thing for someone and quite another for someone else.... so who the heck cares!!!!.

but... the answer to eliminating WORLD FATNESS is:

everybody go down to Loe kroe street and eat the tuna in olive oil carpaccio at Chez Marcos!!!... this is a kick ass healthy low/no bad fat /high good fat as you can get.. loose weight and bring your bad cholesterol down while bringing your good cholestoral up!!! ... this is a real study a doctors diet which includes 200ml red wine a night( not joking) ... !! heart heathy ,,.. get started today! p.s. u do loose weight faster if you eliminate the red wine ..... but....

Edited by gatorhead333

by christ your a boring fcuker

i hope youre food has a slight bit more inventiveness. YOU SOOUND BORING

dont put on your specials board Handsome chef. YOU ARE MEDIOCRE, food; mediocre..... YAWN. Go out of business a la took khun te ne.

which anti depressant dose did you miss today?? or all three ??? take your meds regular for Gods sake!!

Edited by gatorhead333

OK, folks.

The conversation has moved from a new restaurant in CM, to the topic of the horrors of Spicy, to some now serious negative commentary and flaming.

I know we are close to the full moon...and I am usually quite tolerant at these times.

But we now leave this topic of discussion.

Closed, for obvious reasons. :)