Thailand And The Hague Convention

coventry

I'm more than likely wrong, but I've just been reading up on 'The Hague Convention', and I'm puzzled about one part. We all know, or do we, that Thailand isn't a signatory to the said agreement. From my reading it comes over that a notary that signs a document in a non signatory country is not recognised legally in a country that is a signatory. If so, and I'm requested by someone in my home country for a notary copy of a document, is the Thai notary legal ? Or have I had too many Archa tonight ?

You could ask the person requiring them if they would be legally accepted in the country they are being sent to.

The other way round, I’ve had foreign documents that were notarized, apostalized (sp) and stamped by a Thai consul accepted into a Thai court. The Thai court had requested these documents be notarized under the Hague convention.

The Thai court had requested these documents be notarized under the Hague convention.
A strange request when Thailand isn't a signatory to the said convention, or legally recognised. Edited by coventry

The document was the result of a court ruling in Australia that was pertinent to the case.

My legal counsel advised me the court requested the documents and stipulated what was required. One of the stipulations for acceptance in court was the document be notarized under the Hague convention.

The document was the result of a court ruling in Australia that was pertinent to the case.

My legal counsel advised me the court requested the documents and stipulated what was required. One of the stipulations for acceptance in court was the document be notarized under the Hague convention.

Sorry 'Farma', I really wasn't asking for personal information even though it may prove beneficiary. I was looking more to a debateable thing ie 'is a notary in Thailand legal in a country that is a signatory to 'The Hague Convention' ? Thailand being a non signatory. Is there a lawyer in the house ? The other way round isn't really a problem. Edited by coventry