Any Services In Chiang Mai Who Can Help Me Get My Retirement Visa?

westbounder

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone in Chiang Mai who can help me in getting my retirement visa or help me extend my 1 year type "O" non immigrant visa for another year? Please send me names, email addresses and phone numbers if you can.

Thankyou

Joe

Hi Joe

It is not a problem to get a retirement visa if you have a minimum pension of 65,000bt a month and can prove it through your company.This has to be payed into your Thai bank account.Do not request help from companies as they will rip you off.The other way is to have 800,000bt in your Thai bank account for at least 3 months.It is fairly simple to do and you are welcome to PM me.I am not an expert but i have done it for myself.There are many threads on this forum that can give advice.

Hi Joe

It is not a problem to get a retirement visa if you have a minimum pension of 65,000bt a month and can prove it through your company.This has to be payed into your Thai bank account.Do not request help from companies as they will rip you off.The other way is to have 800,000bt in your Thai bank account for at least 3 months.It is fairly simple to do and you are welcome to PM me.I am not an expert but i have done it for myself.There are many threads on this forum that can give advice.

Some problematic info given above.

-- if using income to qualify a letter from your EMBASSY is used to prove the money for immigration, the US embassy does not require you to prove it, just sign that you are telling the truth

-- you do NOT need to physically transfer in that 65K per month, only show the income with an embassy letter

-- for a first time retirement extension and using 800K in Thai bank, it only needs to be there TWO months, not three

-- you can also qualify using a combo method, combining embassy letter about income AND a Thai bank account, in such cases no money seasoning is needed for the Thai bank account part of it (for example, annual income 400K PLUS bank account 400K)

Edited by Jingthing

Sunbelt, a major sponsor of ThaiVisa, has an office in the city - probably still on Mahidol Road, heading toward the airport. However; to simply extend an O retirement visa, most of us do that ourselves, with no help from our Thai friends.

You do not need a company or a Thai bank account for the pension method. I have neither.

Sunbelt, a major sponsor of ThaiVisa, has an office in the city - probably still on Mahidol Road, heading toward the airport. However; to simply extend an O retirement visa, most of us do that ourselves, with no help from our Thai friends.

You do not need a company or a Thai bank account for the pension method. I have neither.

If you don't want to do it yourself, here's another help. Tom often works in the office along with immigration so that they will know him if problems arise. Jaroonroat Krasaesuk (Tom) at 085 0317189

If you don't want to do it yourself, here's another help. Tom often works in the office along with immigration so that they will know him if problems arise. Jaroonroat Krasaesuk (Tom) at 085 0317189

The best advice is from Nicksai, or pm me if you like. Don't, repeat don't, use any "advisors". They will charge an unnecessary fee and make things complicated to justify more and more involvement. Dress well, be polite, smile, immigration will bend over backwards to help provided you do not have an attitude problem perceived or not with them. deal with immigration staff, not people hovering around in the background

If the OP really wants someone local to provide advice/help, then I understand the request to not move the topic to the Visa section. That said, I hope Westbounder is also checking the wealth of information available there.

I echo those who say that it's a] not necessary to use a commercial advice/help service and b] could end up being more involved if the service generates more issues in order to justify/increase their fee.

The point about the Embassy/Consulate letter for the income/partial income route being required is correct - I would add that it can be non-pension income (e.g. rents, investment income etc). Getting the letter from the UK Embassy/Consulate requires submission of evidence to demonstrate the claimed income; as stated - the US version just requires the applicant to make a statement claiming the income. Immigration know this - and, logically, would be unlikely to ask to see the evidence submitted for a UK Embassy/Consulate letter. Don't rule out the possibility that Immigration would want to see the evidence to support a US Embassy/Consulate income letter - or from another national Embassy/Consulate that doesn't require evidence before issuing the income letter.

One other point. Both times (August 2007 & 2008) when I have done my "retirement visa" at CM, they wanted (liked?) to see evidence of some funds (say 10-20k baht) in a Thai bank account - even though my application was based solely on income. As I have not seen it mentioned in the published requirements, my take is that this is/was a local (let's call it) "preference". I was told about it when I checked in 2007 at CM Immigration what would be needed - in advance of submitting the paperwork. I asked specifically about it again when gearing up to renew in 2008 and was told that the same as before would be required. Both times, the evidence was a letter from the Thai bank - and both times the processing officer inspected it and noted the contents on his paperwork. Maybe it's just a CM thing - and maybe not still applied.

To sum up, I would suggest that the OP (and anyone else in his/her situation) researches the information available in the Visa section in order to get familiar with the terminology and what's actually involved - from my experience (and others') what seems daunting at first soon becomes very easy and straightforward. Having done that, I would take any remaining query (e.g. something specific to your situation) to CM Immigration and check it out with one of the more senior officers at the windows - in advance of submitting the application. Their attitude certainly seems to be that they appreciate an applicant taking the trouble to get the paperwork right in advance - much better than making avoidable mistakes/omissions that will disrupt the actual process later. Again, I don't see a commercial service being necessary or desirable for that.

I think those advocating the DIY approach without using an advisor are missing a trick here. This is Thailand, one doesn't employ and advisor/lawyer based on, their qualifications, what they know about visa regs, ability to complete the paperwork etc. One should employ them for who they know at immigration. Then its money well spent....... The trick is just finding the right advisor :)

It is my experience that Paagai is 100% correct. If you get the right advisor, it is easy to get any help you need. However, I'm not sure that one needs this trick for a retirement visa as it is so easy to get anyway.

Edited by Ulysses G.

If the OP really wants someone local to provide advice/help, then I understand the request to not move the topic to the Visa section. That said, I hope Westbounder is also checking the wealth of information available there.

Getting the letter from the UK Embassy/Consulate requires submission of evidence to demonstrate the claimed income; as stated - the US version just requires the applicant to make a statement claiming the income. Immigration know this - and, logically, would be unlikely to ask to see the evidence submitted for a UK Embassy/Consulate letter. Don't rule out the possibility that Immigration would want to see the evidence to support a US Embassy/Consulate income letter - or from another national Embassy/Consulate that doesn't require evidence before issuing the income letter.

This "statement" is a sworn oath, and subject to perjury prosecution under US law.

Thai immigration does indeed know that a false "statement" could land you in jail under this law and yes, while the possibly exsists that they may want to see evidence of the income, it is hardly if rarely checked.

Just to set the record straight. :)

Have a friend who attempted the use of a service here in CM. Total run around to Bangers several times, Lao several times..all for the O-A. Not necessary.

It can be easily completed by yourself without having to pay anybody.

I think those advocating the DIY approach without using an advisor are missing a trick here. This is Thailand, one doesn't employ and advisor/lawyer based on, their qualifications, what they know about visa regs, ability to complete the paperwork etc. One should employ them for who they know at immigration. Then its money well spent....... The trick is just finding the right advisor :)

Why?? As others have stated, this is not difficult. I have been here over 6 years on my retirement visa. Each extension has been trouble free and, I have commented before that, I feel Chiang Mai Immigration is very easy to deal with and usually willing to help you with any questions or problems. If you meet the requirements, they do not try to throw up any artificial roadblocks. Mine is based on a pension, and it does not need to be deposited in a Thai bank. I also keep a relatively small amount in a Thai Bank account for normal expenses and that seems to make them happy.

Paagai, UG, and silverhawk_usa are all correct. But Paagai's recommendation is not necessary for something as simple as this. Like the others have pointed out, it is very easy to do yourself. I got my visa myself with a little help from lopburi3 in the Visa forum. If I'm not mistaken, I think gpdjohn also offered good advice with respect to getting my Non-Immigrant O-A (retirement) visa.

Also, there are literally step by step instructions on applying for and obtaining this visa in the visa forum. Don't waste money on an "advisor".

Read between the lines here.

One thing should be made clear -- using a visa advisor/helper does not mean you do not have to actually meet the requirements for immigration.

For example, if you need a bank account at a certain level, you STILL will need a bank account at a certain level. If you have enough money to buy your way out of that, you have enough to fund the bank account, and do not need an advisor!

Before I got my retirement visa I had something to do at the American Consulate. I asked a consular official there if he could make a recommendation to help me get my visa. He said he wasn't officially allowed to say anything but that there did happen to be a visa agency up the block. It was and is Star Visa. They charge a very low fee for basically getting all your documents organized and ready to go. They give you a check list of what you will need. You bring everything to them. And they put it all into a binder. They will know if you qualify or not and won't charge you for advice. It's just very reassuring to show up at the Immigration Office with everything formidably organized.

Nothing wrong with a service like that if you don't mind paying and need your hand held, especially the first time.

However, that same kind of help is available free here to anyone for everything but the most complicated situations. The only caveat is to get good info here you must be thorough and specific about your details. We can't read minds.

Edited by Jingthing

Nothing wrong with a service like that if you don't mind paying and need your hand held, especially the first time.

However, that same kind of help is available free here to anyone for everything but the most complicated situations. The only caveat is to get good info here you must be thorough and specific about your details. We can't read minds.

If you're a reasonably organized person, it probably isn't necessary. Especially if you're only renewing. But I'm not reasonably organized. So using star visa is like having a super competent administrative assistant. Except, unfortunately, you've got to run the errands. I think that they charged me 500 baht for their services.

• 2 months later...
I think those advocating the DIY approach without using an advisor are missing a trick here. This is Thailand, one doesn't employ and advisor/lawyer based on, their qualifications, what they know about visa regs, ability to complete the paperwork etc. One should employ them for who they know at immigration. Then its money well spent....... The trick is just finding the right advisor

Here is another 'second' for that superb advice from "Paagai".

In five years here, I have always used a lawyer for retirement extensions.

Always effortless.

I renewed a few days ago in Chiangmai.

The lawyer filled out all the paperwork -- all I did was sign my name.

The lawyer met with me a few days before, going over all the paperwork carefully.

On the day at the Immigration office, he handled everything.

Total time was 47 minutes: from arrival to getting my passport back.

Since everything was in order, there were no questions, no problems.

For this peace-of-mind, I pay just a few thousand baht each year.

Tom often works in the office along with immigration so that they will know him if problems arise. Jaroonroat Krasaesuk (Tom) at 085 0317189

I also use "Tom" (ต้อม).

He is conscientious, thorough, and helpful.

His English is excellent.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone in Chiang Mai who can help me in getting my retirement visa or help me extend my 1 year type "O" non immigrant visa for another year? Please send me names, email addresses and phone numbers if you can.

Thankyou

Joe

I have been on a retirement visa for the last 6 years and have never used the services of a lawyer or a company.

My daughter is a police woman at Chiang Mai Immigration. When you phone Immigration after hours, it is my daughter`s voice on the answering machine.

If you want any free advice on how to apply for a Non O Immigrant visa for retirement, than pm me and I will give you my mobile number.

It is my experience that Paagai is 100% correct. If you get the right advisor, it is easy to get any help you need. However, I'm not sure that one needs this trick for a retirement visa as it is so easy to get anyway.

No, I do not agree with UG's endorsement of the advice of "who you should know." I do agree with UG, otherwise, that the process is simple for anyone who has his or her personal ducks in line.

Basically, there are no tricks to getting a retirement visa if you meet all of the conditions; just pay attention to detail. Such details are clearly posted by the government of Thailand. If you got here, you should be able to get to that information. Every country has its rules and regulations. Thailand is gracious to post them in English.

Don't believe much commonly posted crap on TV Chiang Mai about TIT (This is Thailand) regarding paying bribes, et cetera --- in particular having to do with the immigration office in Chiang Mai. Experiences do differ here, but I've personally never had a problem in several years. Just respect people; just respect where you are.

More generally, Thai people are no more or less virtuous than anywhere else, I suppose. My personal experience over a long haul here I haven't had to deal with any more or less nasty or devious people than found anywhere else in the world. A possible exception is lawyers and insurance salesmen, but they are most likely breeds apart regardless of where they are in the world! Otherwise, a lot of (other?) cheap shots and critical comments on TV Chiang Mai seem to have been posted by people who never learned anything from their mothers, in school, or in their practical experience!

However, locally, do watch out for lawyers who are too anxious for business and get themselves on consulate lists. And watch out for expats who inhabit places like the Chiang Mai Expats Club and use the club basically as a platform upon which to build their businesses. Bottom line: Be especially cautious about expats offerring emergency services, insurance, legal or investment advice. Never mind the real estate people!! Don't be snowed by the friendly ambiance!

All this is really just a reflection of what you'd find elsewhere! Except sometimes, you might find more people here who could not make it legitimately elsewhere.

Now, that's not very surprising, is it?

Edited by Mapguy

Why?? As others have stated, this is not difficult. I have been here over 6 years on my retirement visa. Each extension has been trouble free and, I have commented before that, I feel Chiang Mai Immigration is very easy to deal with and usually willing to help you with any questions or problems. If you meet the requirements, they do not try to throw up any artificial roadblocks. Mine is based on a pension, and it does not need to be deposited in a Thai bank. I also keep a relatively small amount in a Thai Bank account for normal expenses and that seems to make them happy.

Agree totally.

Is Tom still around?

Or persona non grata? Don't know but seems strange!!

No, I do not agree with UG's endorsement of the advice of "who you should know." I do agree with UG, otherwise, that the process is simple for anyone who has his or her personal ducks in line.

Basically, there are no tricks to getting a retirement visa if you meet all of the conditions; just pay attention to detail. Such details are clearly posted by the government of Thailand. If you got here, you should be able to get to that information. Every country has its rules and regulations. Thailand is gracious to post them in English.

Don't believe much commonly posted crap on TV Chiang Mai about TIT (This is Thailand) regarding paying bribes, et cetera --- in particular having to do with the immigration office in Chiang Mai. Experiences do differ here, but I've personally never had a problem in several years. Just respect people; just respect where you are.

More generally, Thai people are no more or less virtuous than anywhere else, I suppose. My personal experience over a long haul here I haven't had to deal with any more or less nasty or devious people than found anywhere else in the world. A possible exception is lawyers and insurance salesmen, but they are most likely breeds apart regardless of where they are in the world! Otherwise, a lot of (other?) cheap shots and critical comments on TV Chiang Mai seem to have been posted by people who never learned anything from their mothers, in school, or in their practical experience!

However, locally, do watch out for lawyers who are too anxious for business and get themselves on consulate lists. And watch out for expats who inhabit places like the Chiang Mai Expats Club and use the club basically as a platform upon which to build their businesses. Bottom line: Be especially cautious about expats offerring emergency services, insurance, legal or investment advice. Never mind the real estate people!! Don't be snowed by the friendly ambiance!

All this is really just a reflection of what you'd find elsewhere! Except sometimes, you might find more people here who could not make it legitimately elsewhere.

Now, that's not very surprising, is it?

I agree with Mapguy on this and he has been around a little while.

But the expats club is not a club. It is a private company with a self elected board.

They do hand out raffle prizes though - but never to the value of those described on their outdated webpage.

A retirement visa is much easier than other ones to deal with because Immigration at Chiang Mai can make the decision right then and there whether to grant it. Others have to be sent to Bangkok.

I have a business visa and the second year I applied (the first year someone was helping me), the officer told me right away that I should have someone who was Thai and understood all of the forms and paper work to accompany me. The next day, I showed up with my bookkeeper who had prepared everything and things went much smoother than the first day. I have brought her every year after that, and this year only took an hour, which is amazing for a business visa.

I have one friend on a marriage visa that gets a young fellow who works at the immigration office part time to prepare his documents and accompany him every year; He is convinced that the help is well worth paying for.

I would not bother to hire someone to help for a retirement visa, but if you can afford it, it might be worth the expense for another kind of visa.

If you say have 400,000 in a Thai bank (That has been there for the required amount of time) and a income/funds going in to another Thai Bank Acc amounting to 400, 000 over a 1 year period ie 33,333 Bht per month, is this acceptable? for a NON "O" A.

I would just like some one to confirm this , or does the income have to be shown coming in to a Western bank ie ones home Bank

Regards

TB