Phuket International Hospital - Bupa Insurance

RichardM

When I the other day should pay a bill at Phuket International Hospital, I was confused.

I have insurance with BUPA, as many others here, and my total CPD is max. 1200.-/visit.

The cashier said "your part will be 328.-". I asked how much was the total bill and was told it was, after discount, 1438.-. I replayed that my cover with BUPA was 1200.-, so it should not be 328.- but 238.- ( 1438 – 1200.- ) I than asked to see the bill they will send to BUPA and after some hesitation she showed it to me. The bill to BUPA was 1200.- - 90.- as discount. Net 1110.-. Than I have to pay the difference between 1438.- and 1 110.-= net 328.- ???

I replayed again that my cover is 1200.- and not 1110.- and she replayed " I'm not good in English, but it is like this." A sort of Manager came and said " this is our deal with BUPA"

So I paid the whole amount 1438.- to the hospital, went down to BUPA office and was told I will have my 1200.-, of course. My deal with BUPA. So in the end my part will be 238.- and not 328.-

90.- in difference nothing to be upset about?! How many would through ANY money on the street and it's not the money, it's something more important, a principal, DON'T MAKE A DEAL ABOUT MY MONEY IF I HAVE NOT SAID YES TO IT.

So to everyone. If the bill exceeds your limit, pay the whole bill and than claim the money from your insurance DIRECT.

Dear Phuket International Hospital. YOU CAN HAVE WHAT EVER DEAL WITH BUPA YOU LIKE, BUT IF YOU LIKE TO GIVE A DISCOUNT TO THEM YOU TAKE THAT FROM YOUR POCKET AND NOT MINE.

ANY IDEAS TO CHANGE THE SYSTEM?

When I the other day should pay a bill at Phuket International Hospital, I was confused.

I never had a problem of BUPA covering my bill at Phuket International Hospital; but what I always do is ask the doctor how much medication would cost and exactly what he is prescribing (and to show me the list in a readable form), advise him then of my insurance status and state clearly that he has to stay under it.

That brings normally a few minutes running around, but has worked every time so far (and the usual handfull of Paracetamol and other useless stuff virtually in *every* prescription after a doctor's visit is missing too).

I never had a problem of BUPA covering my bill at Phuket International Hospital; but what I always do is ask the doctor how much medication would cost and exactly what he is prescribing (and to show me the list in a readable form), advise him then of my insurance status and state clearly that he has to stay under it.

That brings normally a few minutes running around, but has worked every time so far (and the usual handfull of Paracetamol and other useless stuff virtually in *every* prescription after a doctor's visit is missing too).

thanks. Avery good idea. Will do that next time.

Richard