Central Airport Plaza Area

wedders

After a couple of years in the centre (SE corner of moat), I'm back in CM next month after a break of a few months. Looks like I'll be renting a place pretty close to the Airport Plaza, quiet enough... but it's a part of town I've never taken much notice of. Anyone else live round there? Good bars, eateries? I'll be steering clear of the shopping mall itself, other than the occasional film.

Not sure, I've only seen the pics - my wife is organising it, I'm still in France, I'll know more later today. But from town centre to the Airport plaza is a ten minute tuktuk drive, I was thinking of places within walking distance. It's in a pretty quiet back soi, not far from Limping supermarket either, that's all the info I have.

But knowing how vague Thai-style details can be I wouldn't be surprised if I find out it's on Chang Klan later :)

It never ceases to amaze me!

Here's a guy who has lived in CM for two years and he doesn't know anything outside the "SE corner of the moat"

What did you do in those two years ?? Stay in your room and :D:D:D all day :)

Well yes there was a fair bit of that, with some willing help :D ... but not getting around to exploring the Central Plaza area doesn't exactly mean I spent all my time in Loi Kroh, does it? :D . I mean, if I asked you to describe the bars and restaurants near the Winner Inn off Sri Donchai, what would you be able to come up with? Come on, amaze me :D

It never ceases to amaze me!

Here's a guy who has lived in CM for two years and he doesn't know anything outside the "SE corner of the moat"

What did you do in those two years ?? Stay in your room and :D:D:D all day :)

Well yes there was a fair bit of that, with some willing help :D ... but not getting around to exploring the Central Plaza area doesn't exactly mean I spent all my time in Loi Kroh, does it? :D . I mean, if I asked you to describe the bars and restaurants near the Winner Inn off Sri Donchai, what would you be able to come up with? Come on, amaze me :P

Actually I might be able to tell you a great deal about the bars close to Sridonchai. I guess that in the past twenty years I have driven Sridonchai at least twice a day on average (didn't do it even once today tho :D )

BUT !! I could if asked nicely give you some info as regards bars (if that is what you wanting, but also include restaurants, 2nd hand book shops etc) from Mae Sai to CR, to UT, to BR, to KK, Surin, UR, BKK, NS, walking street,

From what you have written I take it that you are french so I will say no more :D

Edited by john b good

Actually I might be able to tell you a great deal about the bars close to Sridonchai. I guess that in the past twenty years I have driven Sridonchai at least twice a day on average (didn't do it even once today tho :D )

BUT !! I could if asked nicely give you some info as regards bars (if that is what you wanting, but also include restaurants, 2nd hand book shops etc) from Mae Sai to CR, to UT, to BR, to KK, Surin, UR, BKK, NS, walking street,

From what you have written I take it that you are french so I will say no more :)

Thanks (ref list) but over a long period of regular visits plus two years of living there... been there, done that. And plenty more besides.

And since when do only Thais live in Thailand? :D

Edited by wedders

For all intents and purposes, that's the same as staying in town. You can be anywhere in under 10 minutes.

Is it on the Hang Dong road or on Aom Muang road (the southern stretch of the ring) ?

It's close to the Nim See Seng Hotel apparently, off Si Ping Mueang somewhere ...

Ah.. PLENTY small cheap stuff in that area, say for food, laundry, anything. It's a bit of a dodgy area frankly, a lot of lower class nightlife going on on Sripingmuang.. (You may never have to leave the area! :) )

But seriously, I think I'd be a bit critical of that area though to actually live. Lots of drunk driving, fights and son on late at night on Sripingmuang. It's perhaps the dodgiest area in Chiang Mai.. (Santitham is positively up-scale in comparison these days! ) But to chat up 16 year old hilltribe girls you need not look further. :D

Ask her for the GPS / Google Maps coordinates before proceeding. If it's directly off Sripingmuang then you can do a lot better.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'm not the moo ban sort, I've only lived in areas surrounded by 'working class' Thais before, so sounds fine! As for 16 year old hill tribe girls, I want to hang on to my nether parts, the wife kindly informed me she wouldn't chop it off if I strayed, but that she would eat a explosive strength papaya salad just before coming to bed and taking care of business :D:)

That's not so bad.. Capsaicin doesn't kill or permanently disfigure.. :)

I partly agree with you in 'living among regular people' but would still note the difference in living in an actual village with traditional social structures, and an area inhabited by poorer migrants. You get relatively more dodgy characters there and without any of the social structures to keep people in check.

I'll be steering clear of the shopping mall itself, other than the occasional film.

Boy you will be missing out on all the food there.

Downstairs they have tons of food stalls Thai style only.

Not the other end of the mall near the market with the classic food court.

Also not the food court upstairs outside the cinemas

But the ground floor end near the fish tank. Great food !! 30-40 baht gets you a killer meal.

Like you say the cinema is great too but those food stalls downstairs are excellent.

You used to be able to find lots of cheap houses to rent in the moo bahn located on the left just by the SCB building heading from Airport Plaza along the hang Dong road. A mate had a 3 bed detached bungalow for 4k baht per month. 1 room for him, 1 for his son and 1 for his missus LOL.

I'll be steering clear of the shopping mall itself, other than the occasional film.

But the ground floor end near the fish tank. Great food !! 30-40 baht gets you a killer meal.

Like you say the cinema is great too but those food stalls downstairs are excellent.

Same here, great place Airport Plaza! Decent shops, the arty Northern Village, spotlessly clean, good food, cheap beer upstairs, the cinema, and bags of eye-candy. I like the feel of the market downstairs, but relish the rice in the chicken place upstairs. It's just across from the middle drinks counter roughly in the centre of the food stalls - great fried and boiled chicken there :)

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Wedders, and Khun Flying,

I second Khun Flying's comments on the food court; I was walking through there last week, and was astounded by the staggering number of vendors and range of treats (compared to the last time I went through there six months ago). My nose had a field day ! If only I could swallow and really taste [taste gone, and swallowing impeded, thanks to 7000 rads to the lower tongue] :)

It also seemed to me the number of "specialty bakeries" had exploded on that ground floor near the Aquarium.

regards, ~o:37;

Just on the offchance, as I haven't got a decent enough map. The place I'm probably getting is in Sri Ping Muang Soi 3. Anyone know a good Chiang Mai online map with sois marked and numbered? I can't find one and my maps are in a box in storage in Chiang Mai.

Edited by wedders

That is the area I live in when I stay from November to April in Chiang Mai. I happen to like it there. I've never had any problem at any time, but then I don't very often frequent the few Thai karoke bars along Wiang Phing road. And, I don't get drunk and insult the locals either. Except for the barking street dogs it's a fairly quiet area. The only traffic jambs are caused by cattle that wander around the neighbourhood unattended.

Cows_003.sized.jpg

Cows_007.sized.jpg

It is only 2 kilometers to the edge of the moat at Chiang Mai Gate. Sri Ping Muang road connects up with the Ma He Don highway right near a walking over pass. But, it is only a one way exit. Ma He Don highway is the one that crosses the Hang Dong highway (108) right at the Airport Plaza. If you use Google Earth it shows the area in pretty good detail.

There is always a bit of construction going on, but some of the houses are quite nice.

Building_1.sized.jpg

Ah, here it is. I just KNEW I had a photo of you place....

Don't mind the family of goats that has taken up residence on the second floor :):D:D

Paradise_Resort_3.jpg

Here is a map I copied off Google Earth for you. I highlighted the roads in yellow/orange where Sri Ping Muang joins the Ma He Don highway at the little pedestrian overpass. I circled the general area of your residence in blue. This version of Google Earth is at least 5 years because it doesn't show my Niranda hotel marked in white with a black X.

Chiang_Mai_1.jpg

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Wedders, and Khun Flying,

I second Khun Flying's comments on the food court; I was walking through there last week, and was astounded by the staggering number of vendors and range of treats (compared to the last time I went through there six months ago). My nose had a field day ! If only I could swallow and really taste [taste gone, and swallowing impeded, thanks to 7000 rads to the lower tongue] :)

It also seemed to me the number of "specialty bakeries" had exploded on that ground floor near the Aquarium.

regards, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun orang37

Sorry to hear about the lack of taste. You are right though many specialty bakeries have opened near the fish tank too.

Also on some days that center area near the tank is filled with even more vendors.

That's great thanks a lot Ian, Anon789

Ian - fortunately the place is finished... shame about the colour though :)

house-si-ping-muang-1--large-msg-124192690742.jpg

Anon ... thanks for that - it's closer to the moat than I thought, about a 10 minute walk...