Beer Prices

phutoie2

Now that tax has increased on alcohol, - from the previous 7% to 9% have bars put up their prices??.

We have just returned from 5 day holiday in Chaweng - Samui and prices there were between 70 - 100 baht for a small bottle.

Here in the sticks the locals have been quick to increase their margins, two Baht slapped immediately on cans and bottles.

Leo per can now a whopping 27 Baht, that's at the local corner shops. I have not had chance to check out the bulk buying places.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on the budget beers (Leo, Change etc), but Singha beer went up 80 Baht/carton of small bottles.

That's over 3 Baht/small bottle.

The premium beers (Heineken, San Miguel Light) have not yet raised the prices...

That's an effective raise of over 10%!

Apparently cigarettes will go up a whopping 160 Baht for a carton of Marlboro's, 16 Baht/pack :)

Not sure on the budget beers (Leo, Change etc), but Singha beer went up 80 Baht/carton of small bottles.

That's over 3 Baht/small bottle.

The premium beers (Heineken, San Miguel Light) have not yet raised the prices...

That's an effective raise of over 10%!

Apparently cigarettes will go up a whopping 160 Baht for a carton of Marlboro's, 16 Baht/pack :)

L&M have jumped from 49 baht to 60baht and one shop near me are charging 65 baht

Beer up about 4-6 baht a can

colino

the price of beer here is now MORE expensive then then uk

i saw a reort that you canpick up 24 cans of stella from tesco for 10 ( 500 THB ) .. but ths is specail offer

but then i remember back in the uk i got 6 large Fosters for 5 Quid, ( 250 THB ) and it was the norm it off licences

with the excange rate a beer in thailand s more then uk !

L&M have jumped from 49 baht to 60baht and one shop near me are charging 65 baht

still 49 THB from 7-11 or family mart

Thanks Boater

i'll stock up

The price on my estate is what i posted i'v not been to 7 today

Now that tax has increased on alcohol, - from the previous 7% to 9% have bars put up their prices??.

We have just returned from 5 day holiday in Chaweng - Samui and prices there were between 70 - 100 baht for a small bottle.

Here in the sticks the locals have been quick to increase their margins, two Baht slapped immediately on cans and bottles.

Leo per can now a whopping 27 Baht, that's at the local corner shops. I have not had chance to check out the bulk buying places.

I am :) 4 bottles of Leo at 41 baht in Daily Mart...

Tesco may sell the cheaper lager! lovely Wolv her hamp er ton !

for the footie fans of the Midlands ! :D

My local shop - beer Chang has gone from 35 to 40 Baht for a large bottle. Wonder cigarettes have jumped from 35 to 43 Baht for a pack.

I had read that the duty on beer was increasing, but didn't see anything about cigarettes.

My local Big C are still selling cans of Chang at 20 Baht, but you are limited to six cans, as you are with all the beers at the old price.

I wonder if there is a tax increase on wine which is already taxed at a prohibitively high price.

Tax increases only on beer, spirits and tobacco. Not on wine AFAIK.

Up to the producer/distributor to raise their prices. Budget beers along with Singha have already done so, Heineken and San Miguel Light are absorbing the cost at the moment but probably not for long.

Cigarettes have not yet risen in price, hence 7/11 still selling at the old price.

Many mom and pop shops have increased the price on cigarettes bought at the low price to make a quick buck!

i saw a reort that you canpick up 24 cans of stella from tesco for 10 ( 500 THB ) .. but ths is specail offer

but then i remember back in the uk i got 6 large Fosters for 5 Quid, ( 250 THB ) and it was the norm it off licences

However, don't forget the % of Chang is 6.4 and that must be described as a strong beer. In the U.K. normal strength beer is 4% so Chang beer is more than 50% stronger. The current 7-11 price is 38 baht, but expect this to rise soon to about 40-41 baht soon.

Also, that is for a 640 ml (large bottle)

So for a 500ml can of beer in the U.K. priced at GBP 0.83 at 4% strength

In Thailand a 640ml bottle priced at THB 38 = GBP= 0.73 at 6.4% strength

So I am sure you would agree, Thailand beer still represents better value for money.

However, don't forget the % of Chang is 6.4 and that must be described as a strong beer. In the U.K. normal strength beer is 4% so Chang beer is more than 50% stronger. The current 7-11 price is 38 baht, but expect this to rise soon to about 40-41 baht soon.

Also, that is for a 640 ml (large bottle)

So for a 500ml can of beer in the U.K. priced at GBP 0.83 at 4% strength

In Thailand a 640ml bottle priced at THB 38 = GBP= 0.73 at 6.4% strength

So I am sure you would agree, Thailand beer still represents better value for money.

Sid Barret, Pink Floyd,a certified lunatic and so are you,you're not in England now,maybe you haven't noticed,2% increase on 40BChang=1B increase/bottle.Cigs was that 2% to,if it was, would that equate to1B/pack.Your not in The old dart now,but numbers are numbers.We are not buying percents,we are buying bottles of beer,try keeping it simple,because it is.

Edited by kimincm

In the Uk you can get 8 440ml tins of Castlemaine XXXX for five pounds fifity.

Brewed in Aus or the UK?

Its vile no matter where its brewed, me and a mate bought 8 cans before the FA Cup final and there was 6 full and 2 half full cans left at the end. All Aussie beer sucks..

Its about 3GBP = 150BHT for 4 x 500ml cans of Heineken in England.

For 4 x 330ml here arent i right in thinking are 40bht a tin so 160bht.

The price of beer and, ahem, gentlemen's entertainment in Thailand has almost reached western levels now.

I really don't see the point in going to a SE Asian country, putting up with crap service and paying what I do back home. One of the reasons I put up with the incompetence is because it's cheap, and that was a reason to justify it. But if they want to charge big bucks and offer inept service, as they do, what's the point.

But typical Thai thinking. "because of our stupity, there aren't as many tourists coming now and we're not making any money. So let's increase taxes and put prices up, that'll bring them back".

Mind boggling.

I think the neighboring countries will continue to benefit from Thailands greed and stupidity over the coming years.

Edited by duchovny

Intersting bit of middleman and shophouse gouging. A 7-9% tax increase doesnt put 10 baht on a bottle of Leo. The PM today said the government were now considering rasing the tax on cigarettes. Looks like the middlemen have jumped the gun on that one. Wholesalers have stuck about 11 baht on a pack of ciggies with no tax increase yet announced.

Shophouse owners have bought out the entire stocks of local Tesco/Macro/Big C beer at old prices so they can sell it at new ones.

Usual greed and gouging by the usual vile group.

Brewed in Aus or the UK?

Its vile no matter where its brewed, me and a mate bought 8 cans before the FA Cup final and there was 6 full and 2 half full cans left at the end. All Aussie beer sucks...

Glad you don't like it - more for those who do. :D

Original Aus Castlemaine and Aus Fosters is excellent. :)

The UK "Brewed under license" crap is ... well, already said it. :D

Brewed in Aus or the UK?

Its vile no matter where its brewed, me and a mate bought 8 cans before the FA Cup final and there was 6 full and 2 half full cans left at the end. All Aussie beer sucks...

Glad you don't like it - more for those who do. :D

Original Aus Castlemaine and Aus Fosters is excellent. :)

The UK "Brewed under license" crap is ... well, already said it. :D

Aussie beer what you drink over there gives me the trotts, Fosters i can drink but Castlemaine tastes the same in both countries kind of like beery tasting carbonated water.

Aussie beer what you drink over there gives me the trotts, Fosters i can drink but Castlemaine tastes the same in both countries kind of like beery tasting carbonated water.

I must try a San Miguel one day.

But what's that lime they squeeze into the top for? Isn't that just changing it into a beer shandy? :)

But typical Thai thinking. "because of our stupity, there aren't as many tourists coming now and we're not making any money. So let's increase taxes and put prices up, that'll bring them back".

Mind boggling.

I think the neighboring countries will continue to benefit from Thailands greed and stupidity over the coming years.

Wouldn't it be great to only have one customer per year that pays 5.000.000 Baht for a plate of Khao Pad? :)

Personally I think the prices of most Thai beers are painfully near the point where the price exceeds quality.

I think I will buy some imported beer next time, were the value for money is greater (yet shrinking fast as well).

Edited by Hawkup2000

Why is it always so damned difficult to get any facts?

What is the excise tax here based on? alcohol content? volume? per bottle?

Without this info, it is impossible tell what is a rip off and what is not.

Someone suggested (I suspect incorrectly) that VAT is increased on beer from 7% to 9%. That would be an increase in price of about 1%.

Has any body got any facts at all?

Why is it always so damned difficult to get any facts?

What is the excise tax here based on? alcohol content? volume? per bottle?

Without this info, it is impossible tell what is a rip off and what is not.

Someone suggested (I suspect incorrectly) that VAT is increased on beer from 7% to 9%. That would be an increase in price of about 1%.

Has any body got any facts at all?

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000009160

"excise taxes for beer will rise to Bt60 per litre from Bt55, white liquor to Bt120 per litre from Bt110 and blended liquor to Bt300 a litre from Bt280."