How To Get A Thai Birth Certificate

I was born in Bankok at a US military hospital in 1970. My father was in the US military, and my mother is/was a Thai citizen. They did not register me anywhere in the Thai government or get me a Thai Birth Certificate, but I recieved a FS-240 "Consular Report of Birth Abroad". This document states that my mother was Thai, and my father US. We left Thailand about 2 months after I was born. Is it possible to for me to recieve a Birth Certificate, passport, and ultimately be recognized as a Dual US/Thai citizen? Every intelligent post I've read says that it's possible, and pretty much my birth right. Am I missing something? Are they going to give me a hard time because I'm not a child, and speak Thai very poorly?

I was born in Bankok at a US military hospital in 1970. My father was in the US military, and my mother is/was a Thai citizen. They did not register me anywhere in the Thai government or get me a Thai Birth Certificate, but I recieved a FS-240 "Consular Report of Birth Abroad". This document states that my mother was Thai, and my father US. We left Thailand about 2 months after I was born. Is it possible to for me to recieve a Birth Certificate, passport, and ultimately be recognized as a Dual US/Thai citizen? Every intelligent post I've read says that it's possible, and pretty much my birth right. Am I missing something? Are they going to give me a hard time because I'm not a child, and speak Thai very poorly?

One of my best mates is half Thai, half British he was born in Bangkok before moving to the UK when he was 4, where he lived until his late twenties. He had previously been told that it was very difficult lengthy process to get citizenship, however he has since been informed that you are a Thai citizen by virtue of the fact you were born here, you just don't have the relevant documentation.

So from my limited knowledge I think its really just a question of applying for all the correct paperwork (Thai national ID passport etc. ) and more importantly proving you were born here, that could involve lots of filling in of forms and waiting around in government offices, so it might be worth having someone who can translate and is used to dealing with the Thai government.......it could make things much quicker and less stressful!!! But despite the sometimes crazy buearacracy most Government depts. are quite helpful :]

In my freinds case his birth was registered here so its fairly straight forward, it may be slightly different for you as you might have to deal with the US military records dept you may need to register your birth here or it may have already been done.

good luck :)

You are not half Thai, you have Thai nationaility and also another nationality. In both nationalities you are a full citizen, not a half citizen.

One is Thai if one of the parents is Thai, in Op's case the mother is Thai, so he has Thai nationality. Getting registered her might be a bumpy road, as your birth was not registered with the Thai government, as it should have been since you were born in Thailand. But in the end you should succeed.

Seems you will be applying in the US. Make sure your parents co-operate and give their information too. Have a look at the embasy website and file your application.

check out anything written by member Arkady.

The situation is this:

Anyone born on Thai soil before 1971 (or so) is automatically a thai citizen.

Various laws have changed things, but essentially after 1971 one of your parents has to be a thai citizen for citizenship to be passed down.

Not sure where to start, but the district and even the hostpital (if it is still around) where you were born would be a good start.

The military hospital in Bangkok was called the 5th Army Field Hospital and closed after the war. Believe it was the same building that Samitivej Sukhumvit later opened. Believe mothers documentation will be key, even if long expired. Thai ID card numbers never change so that will likely be a key item to obtain from mother.

Thanks lopburi3 That's exactly right! My FS-240 says I was born at 5th field Army Hospital. And has definitely closed down after the war. I'm not sure if records were ever transferred to the new hostpital. I highly doubt it. My mother is very cooperative and says she'll do anything she can to assist. We have her old Tabien Baans, Thai Marraige Certificates and old expired passports (I'm not sure about the ID cards though, she could probably get them renewed). Thanks for the information. Have you heard of a law that says when I turned 18 or 21 I was to have chosen my nationality. I've read everything I could get my hands on, and cannot find where I was supposed to choose a nationality?

The passport will have her ID number so you will have access to that. That 18 thing is not true - I believe at 20 you can renounce citizenship but there is no reason to do so and nothing makes anyone do it.

The 20 years of age that is mentioned is the age of consent for Thailand. Before 20 years of age your parents would have to consent for you to renounce your citizenship if you wanted to, After 20 it is up to you.

Here is a link for the Thai embassy in DC using the pulldown menu you can get contact info for the consulates in the states.

Their is info in Thai about birth registration and passports. The LA consulate website has some information in English but not a lot. Link: http://www.thaiembdc.org/AboutEmb/EmbDirect.aspx

If you have enough documentation you may be able to register your birth at the embassy or one of the consulates and get a passport.

But there is a very good chance you will have to do it here.

Because I've lived in the US 99.9% of my entire life, I'm worried how someone at the Thai consulate will interpret Section 17 of the Thai Nationality Act as amemded by Act 2, 3, 4 (if there even aware of this) which states:

--------

With respect to a person who has Thai nationality, by reason of the person having been born within the Kingdom of Thailand to an alien father or mother, the person's Thai nationality may be revoked if it appears that:

(1) The person has resided in a foreign country, of which the father or mother has used to have nationality, for a consecutive period of more than five years from the day of the person bacame sui juris.

(2) There is evidence to show that the person makes use of the nationality of the father, mother, or of a foreign nationality, or that the person has an active interest in the nationality of the father, mother or in a foreign nationality.

(3) .... not applicable for me

(4) .... not applicable for me

The Minister in the event of (1) or (2), and the Court in the event of (3) or (4) and upon the request of the public prosecutor, shall order the revocation of Thai nationality.

--------

This has been discussed on a thread about Thai citizenship.

You will notice it says minister. That means it would require the Minister of Interior to revoke citizenship. That means it is highly unlikely it would ever happen.

You already have Thai citizenship by law. You just don't have all the documentation to prove it.

Because I've lived in the US 99.9% of my entire life, I'm worried how someone at the Thai consulate will interpret Section 17 of the Thai Nationality Act as amemded by Act 2, 3, 4 (if there even aware of this) which states:

--------

With respect to a person who has Thai nationality, by reason of the person having been born within the Kingdom of Thailand to an alien father or mother, the person's Thai nationality may be revoked if it appears that:

(1) The person has resided in a foreign country, of which the father or mother has used to have nationality, for a consecutive period of more than five years from the day of the person bacame sui juris.

(2) There is evidence to show that the person makes use of the nationality of the father, mother, or of a foreign nationality, or that the person has an active interest in the nationality of the father, mother or in a foreign nationality.

(3) .... not applicable for me

(4) .... not applicable for me

The Minister in the event of (1) or (2), and the Court in the event of (3) or (4) and upon the request of the public prosecutor, shall order the revocation of Thai nationality.

--------

What I am about to say is slightly confusing, so bear with me.

The passage you quote does not apply to you.

If you look at the Thai nationality act you can get Thai nationality in a few ways

1) Being born to a Thai parent either inside or outside the kingdom (ie that parent transfers the citizenship by you via blood).

2) Being born on Thai soil before 1971 (it your case) or being born on Thai soil between 1971 and 1992 and proving that you have had residence and linkages to thailand during that time.

3) Being naturalised as a Thai

4) Being born in Thailand and gains Thai nationality by virtue of being born to two foreign parents who both have permanent residency (both parents need to be PR's for the child to gain Thai nationality)

The section of the act you quote applies only to the fourth option I have outlined above. If you read it again "With respect to a person who has Thai nationality, by reason of the person having been born within the Kingdom of Thailand to an alien father or mother"

Quite clearly, in your case, 1 and 2 apply to you only.

Edited by samran

Your explanation ,samran, was very clear and consice. I appreciate you clearing that up. I'll note that it does not apply to me. I'm just looking for any reason that they would try to deny my request for a Birth Certificate.

Edited by sburdic