Extend 30 Day Visa Waiver To Non-immigrant 0

My dear mother in law, a filipino, is with us in Ratchaburi on 30 day visa waiver and is likely to want to stay on either to work if she can get a job or to assist with our new born baby, due July. My wife and I are both aliens, teachers on Non Imm Bs. As I understand it my mother in law can apply to Immigration for a Non Imm O without having to leave the kingdom. Any one able to advise on what she would need to do and what the qualifications/requirements are? Many thanks

You can apply for a non-immigrant visa if you have more then 21 days left on your current permission to stay. in addition you would need to qualify for a one year extension of stay. Based on what does she want to apply for a non-O.

thanks Mario in first instance she'll probably apply for non O multiple entry to visit family and friends. I presume we will need to provide letters of income etc and statement we will support her etc....can you or anyone explain what the actual process is for making the application for the visa?

1. Are you and wife on extensions of stay or on 90 day visa entries?

2. Is MIL over age 50?

both of us are on extensions and MIL is over 50

In that case MIL can obtain non immigrant O visa and extend her stay one year at a time under provision 2.20 of current regulations. Below is list for change of visa and then the extension could be made.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR SPOUSE, CHILDREN, PARENTS OF FOREIGN TEACHER IN THAILAND

In case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

Copy to passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

5.1 Documents proving that the applicant is the spouse, father or mother or child of foreigner ; a marriage certificate or birth certificate, as the case may be. (Certifying by Embassy or Consulate and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.) Or

5.2 Letter from a government office, embassy or consulate, Certifying that the applicant is of the referred family, Or

5.3 a guarantor-letter from The Department of Protocol, Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Passport and work permit.

Passport and work permit of related teacher.

A certified letter from school proving that related teacher applicant is working in that school.

A certified copy of Registration papers of the educational institution. (Certified by authority signature and institute seal)

A certified copy of the license of the school or university administrator. (Certified by authority signature and institute seal)

List of personal income tax of alien employee (Phor ngo dor 91) for the last year.

She can get an extension of stay if she has 21 days left on her permit to stay.

For a multiple entry visa she would have to go to a consulate. Since your wife is on an extension she probably can get this at some conuslates but not all.

Note that she may not have time to do the above as 21 days are required on entry. In that case believe most people take documents to a nearby Consulate, such as Vientiane or Penang and obtain the non immigrant O visa there. Then with less that 30 days remaining on 90 day stay do the extension of stay. Believe copy for daughters passport with extension of stay is the most important thing for visa issue.

thanks for your help with this. so if we get all the paperwork, signed sealed etc translated legailised etc we could take it all to our local Immigration Office in Kanchanaburi and apply for a single entry 90 day Non Imm O and then extend that when it is about to expire? I am not sure I understand the thing about having less than 21 days of her visa waiver left......I would be grateful if you could explain that to me. Many thanks once more.

When your mother in law enterd Tailand she received a stamp in her passport, satting till when she can stay in Thailand. She must have at least 21 days left before she has to leave Thailand, if not, then immigration will not allow her to covert to a non-immigrant visa and she will have to leave the country and apply from a neighbouring country.

When your mother in law enterd Tailand she received a stamp in her passport, satting till when she can stay in Thailand. She must have at least 21 days left before she has to leave Thailand, if not, then immigration will not allow her to covert to a non-immigrant visa and she will have to leave the country and apply from a neighbouring country.

Thanks Mario for clarifying that. Thanks to you all for your assistance with this.