Thaksin Bids For Montenegro Island

george

Thaksin wishes to buy island in Montenegro : foreign media

Fugitive ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is bidding to buy a mortgaged island, which is also known as Hawaii, in Montenegro.

The First Bank of Montenegro advertised out-of-court sale of the part of Sveti Nikola Island near Budva at the initial price of 21 million Euros.

The island of Sveti Nikola, also known as Hawaii, is located less than a kilometer away from Budva and it has three sandy beaches spreading on 840 meters, according to Visit-Montenegro online.

"Among potential buyers there were allegedly some Englishmen, Russians, Belgians and Arabs, and according to recent information published by media the former Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra who got Montenegrin passport was also at play. It is still not known where Shinawatra got a Montenegrin passport from," the online reported.

At the first auction launched a couple of months ago, the famous Hawaii were offered at price of 28 million Euros. The land for different purposes covering an area of more than 37 000 square meters has been offered for sale together with the existing facilities.

The public auction is scheduled for May 23 at the premises of the bank in Budva.

The owner of the island is Serbian businessman Stanko Subotic who is indebted to the bank.

Subotic purchased the most beautiful part of the island in 2007 from Nenad Djordjevic for over 20 million Euros.

After the purchase, Subotic announced big investment plans which included connecting the island with the mainland, building hotels, villas, marina and additional facilities but he was prevented from carrying out his plans after Serbia declared him a wanted person under the suspicion that he was involved in cigarette smuggling and thus caused damage to the country.

According to well-informed sources, Subotic then planned to sell the island and on the basis of this story there were rumors over the last year of potential buyers and amounts of money they offer for the island.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-12

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect this "Nation" story is a a rehash of a story from News-Montenegro.com and is in fact "scuttlebutt as suggested in an earlier (closed) thread.

See here :-

http://www.news-montenegro.com/articles/view/20057

I love this bit :-

"After the purchase, Subotic announced big investment plans which included connecting the island with the mainland, building hotels, villas, marina and additional facilities but he was prevented from carrying out his plans after Serbia declared him a wanted person under the suspicion that he was involved in cigarette smuggling and thus caused damage to the country."

Sound familiar ?

Won't be surprise if this is true.

He can built his dream kingdom there.

When he was boss of Man City, he expect the players to 'wai' to him.

Now, wonder what he will expect those working on the island do when they see him? :D

The reds ( his supporters ) can choose to migrate there as well! :)

Now, wonder what he will expect those working on the island do when they see him? :)

A wai is an entirely polite Thai greeting. It is not subservient or fawning. Though you're trying to insinuate it is, and a folie de grandeur on his part.

I hear Donald Trump is also averse to hand shaking. Given the amount of germs and bacteria transmitted when people wipe their bottoms then shake someone's hand, it seems like a smart move to avoid it !!!

A 'wye' is Thai and we don't do that in England. We shake hands. In Thailand I wye people, in England i shake hands. Respect other people's culture. No player in the premier league salutes the chairman on the football pitch before a game. Whether it be by 'wying' or dancing a jig. (unless you feel the need to do so out of respect)

You're 100% right - Wying is just like shaking hands or any other type of greeting. But at the end of the day, it's a mark of respect, and if you've never been to Thailand it would be completely alien to you.

180px-Sv._Nikola_2.jpg

Looks to be sinking to me - so good luck is all I can say.

:)

If it's not cracked airport runways... it's sinking islands... he's jinxed.... but he's looking for discounts nonetheless...

610x-11.jpg

Montenegrin bank seeks buyer for Sveti Nikola island, 33% discount

Prva Banka Crne Gore (First Bank of Montenegro) has reiterated its offer for the sale of a part of the Sveti Nikola island, just off the coast of Budva, the country’s biggest seaside resort.

The reserve price for 37,000 square meters of the island has been set at 21 million euros, down from the previous asking price of 28 million euros.

The area is being sold complete with a number of existing tourist facilities – mostly smaller structures that would probably be razed down by a new developer or possibly incorporated into a new tourist complex.

According to local media reports, the sale has been prompted after the latest owner of the property, controversial Serbian businessman Stanko Subotic, defaulted on his loan taken from Prva Banka Crne Gore, and notified the bank that sell the collateral as he could no longer meet his obligations.

A public auction is now expected to be held on May 23 at the Prva Banka Crne Gore (formerly NIksicka Banka) office in Budva. A 100,000 euro deposit is required for taking part in the bidding.

If the auction succeeds, the buyer would have to make the agreed payment within seven days. So far, the attractive island, just 1 kilometer off the Budva coast, has been a top destination for day trips from the city by boats shuttling from all Budva beaches.

- Balkin Business News / 2009-05-12

Edited by sriracha john

Now, wonder what he will expect those working on the island do when they see him? :)

A wai is an entirely polite Thai greeting. It is not subservient or fawning. Though you're trying to insinuate it is, and a folie de grandeur on his part.

I hear Donald Trump is also averse to hand shaking. Given the amount of germs and bacteria transmitted when people wipe their bottoms then shake someone's hand, it seems like a smart move to avoid it !!!

On the other hand there seem to be gradations in making a wai!

tut,tut. A bit touchy. Aren't we?

tut,tut. A bit touchy. Aren't we?

Wow.....some people have all the luck no matter what they do. What a beautiful part of the world.....stunningly beautiful. No doubt he will have a private sailboat too. I am already jealous!

The place is fantastic, could be said it's Adriatic Phi Phi, no kidding.

Interesting, regional press makes no mention of that deal (yet). Only one, an oposition backed daily "Monitor" from Podgorica (the capital of thiny Montenegro) says that Thaksin is buying the island from Stanko Subotic (under Interpol warrant by his home country Serbia, for cigarettes smuggling back in 90s that link him to Milo Djukanovic of Montenegro) who borrowed 20 mil EUR from Milo Djukanovic's (Montenegro's strongman) bank and he is unable to repay. There Thaksin comes in, the paper says he is holding Montenegrin passport.

Looks like the newspaper is having a snip at the government and is after something to stress how criminals rule the thiny country and bring more criminals from around the world to join.

Edited by think_too_mut

Getting closer and closer to the "Papillon" storyline.

Next he'll be buying a boat from a leper colony in French Guyana. :)

Can't wait to see the humiliating finale when his droopy asian ass is arrested.

Nothing Bakker-Botts can fix for ya. :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

180px-Sv._Nikola_2.jpg

Looks to be sinking to me - so good luck is all I can say.

May i suggest Khun T. to build his villa on the upper side..Might last longer

I think we should send few thousand of yellow and red shirt over there to settle differences. At the same time we will no longer have problem with them over here :)

Thai web site (tnews.teenee.com/politic/35859.html , my wife reading it) points to the source of the news:

news-montenegro.com

I mentioned that in post No.3, please keep up with the state of play think_too_mut.... :)

:D:D:D

P.S. Plus I also think it's a beat-up to try and sell the island.......... :D

Edited by LeungKen

Thai web site (tnews.teenee.com/politic/35859.html , my wife reading it) points to the source of the news:

news-montenegro.com

I mentioned that in post No.3, please keep up with the state of play think_too_mut.... :)

What is not a "beat up" is - if Thaksin really has a passport issued by that statelet.

news-montenegro.com

What is not a "beat up" is - if Thaksin really has a passport issued by that statelet.

PAD Facts Info suggests that Thaksin's Montenegran Passport No. is

I38kd3695

More here (for what it's worth)

http://antithaksin.wordpress.com/2009/04/2...negro-passport/

Montenegrin bank seeks buyer for Sveti Nikola island, 33% discount

Prva Banka Crne Gore (First Bank of Montenegro) has reiterated its offer for the sale of a part of the Sveti Nikola island, just off the coast of Budva, the country’s biggest seaside resort.

The reserve price for 37,000 square meters of the island has been set at 21 million euros, down from the previous asking price of 28 million euros.

Call me old-fashioned, but when I was at school, 21 was a 25% discount on 28, not 33%. :D

No wonder these bankers sometimes get their sums wrong ! :)

PM Confirms Report on Thaksin's Bid for Island in Montenegro

The Prime Minister says he has been informed about former PM Thaksin Shinawatra's plans to buy part of an island in Montenegro. However, the premier says he is waiting for more information before making any comment or taking action.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said local authorities informed him about ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra's plan to buy part of an island in Montenegro, but says he is waiting for confirmation and any details before acting.

Thaksin reportedly wants to buy the property in response to complaints that he had received a passport from Montenegro.

Earlier, the Daily Express, a leading paper in Montenegro, reported that Thaksin, a fugitive from the Thai justice system, is bidding for part of a Montenegrin island named Sveti Nikola which is known as the Hawaii of Montenegro. The island reportedly has three beaches stretching for 840 meters.

The First Bank of Montenegro has advertised the 37,000 square-meter property for sale at 21 million euros. Thaksin, who has been sentenced to two years in prison for abuse of power in Thailand, made the surprise bid after it was learned that he had received a Montenegrin passport. The Thai government has revoked his Thai passport.

The newspaper reported that the property, which is home to the best scenery on the island, was previously owned by Serbian businessman Stanko Subotic, who paid 20 million euros for it a couple of years ago.

Subotic had announced his intention to develop the property into a massive tourist resort, but was later thwarted when Serbia issued an arrest warrant for him on charges of smuggling cigarettes.

The First Bank of Montenegro offered the property at auction several months ago, but no buyers were willing to meet the minimum bid of 28 million euros. The next auction is scheduled for May 23rd at the bank.

In response to news that Thaksin had obtained a Montenegrin passport, Managing Director of the Network for Affirmation of the Non-governmental Sector, Vanja Calovic, contacted the Transparency International Organization to protest against the move.

European NGOs have demanded that Montenegro's interior ministry reveal the details of the issuance of the passport as well as Thaksin's qualifications for receiving it.

They claim he is not eligible for a Montenegrin passport because he does not have Montenegrin citizenship.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2009-05-12