Chez Marco

Rasseru

My wife and I and two friends descended on Chez Marco tonight, having been inspired by gatorhead333's earlier and now dead thread on the subject, and were astonished, mesmerised, seduced and knocked out by how good the food was. Everything, absolutely everything, was superb, consisting of very fresh ingredients that were prepared with taste, skill and care. We will be back. My wife is upset with me for even talking about this here, since she figures it can only have the effect of making it harder for us to get in in the future.

Gatorhead333, our heartfelt thanks to you.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night, I had the special at Marco's for 280 baht including desert. It started out with gazpacho - cold tomato and cucumber soup - that tastes great when it's hot outside and a main course that was a mixture of cheese, chicken, tomatoes and thick zucchini squash slices on a big piece of their excellent toasted bread and pesto type sauce on the side, plus some really good French fries that stayed nice and hot.

It was the kind of meal that they try to do at some of Chiang Mai's more pretentious restaurants but at the House and Mi Casa, the portion is always much smaller and the price much higher and it does not taste nearly as good.

I guess that someone has to cater to Mapguy who is currently whinging about big portions in America - although, what, exactly, they have to do with Thailand does mystify me.

Some of these trendy places try to combine unusual textures and flavors that just don't work. Marco seems to know exactly what does work and that is what he sticks to. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Whereabouts on Loi Khroh is it - ie which end and near to what.

I think I saw number/address on the other thread but means nothing.

French friends coming in July so this will take up one evening and very convenient for us.

Landmark anyone please?

Whereabouts on Loi Khroh is it - ie which end and near to what.

Traveling in the direction of the vehicular traffic, it is on the left hand side of Loi Khroh perhaps 100 or 150 meters from the corner of the road along the moat.

Well, the parking situation sucks in that area.

Really? I had no trouble at all parking my scooter right in front of the restaurant.

A scooter! Is it pink, too? :) If you need to park a truck then I guess DK book center is closest.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yes, before you reach it.

That in response to cmsally's query: 'East of Raming Lodge?" Not sure I'm following your drift, UG, but if one is traveling down Loi Kroh road from the moat, one would have to go past a place to be east of it.

From this thread and the previous one on the same topic it is quite clear that this restaurant serves very good food at a good price. Contact details for bookings have been posted in the other thread and clear directions have been given in this one.

Isn't it now about time that this thread and the other were merged and then moved to the recommended businesses topic or closed? It's wonderful that people have enjoyed this restaurant but the point has been made enough. Praise is one thing but overpraise and repeating the same thing over and over again gets a bit much. Let members decide for themselves with their feet.

Anyway, the longer this stays open the more difficult it will be for everybody to get a table :):D:D

Yes, before you reach it.

That in response to cmsally's query: 'East of Raming Lodge?" Not sure I'm following your drift, UG, but if one is traveling down Loi Kroh road from the moat, one would have to go past a place to be east of it.

You were there last night. Why don't you just tell her where it is?

If you go past Raming lodge, you have gone too far. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Last night, I had the special at Marco's for 280 baht including desert. It started out with gazpacho - cold tomato and cucumber soup - that tastes great when it's hot outside and a main course that was a mixture of cheese, chicken, tomatoes and thick zucchini squash slices on a big piece of their excellent toasted bread and pesto type sauce on the side, plus some really good French fries that stayed nice and hot.

It was the kind of meal that they try to do at some of Chiang Mai's more pretentious restaurants but at the House and Mi Casa, the portion is always much smaller and the price much higher and it does not taste nearly as good.

zuccini? cucumber soup? :)

ok, I think we have established that the food is very good and reasonably priced.

Now, onto the important stuff...

Was Marco a French tw@t? And were the waitresses hot?

Awaiting your replies...(and my post being deleted)

:)

ok, I think we have established that the food is very good and reasonably priced.

Awaiting your replies...(and my post being deleted)

:)

Yes I can confrim the first comment and the waitress is Hot but NOT Marcos girlfriend maybe just a Gig but thats another thread :D

Edited by FarangCravings

Regarding your first query, if you mean by it what I think you mean, then taking advantage of my very limited French, I would say, au contraire. If you mean something more literal than I think and hope, then the short answer is that I do not know, because I did not ask any personal questions of that kind, but I think not.

Regarding your second query, they did not seem to be, but we were in an air-conditioned room, so there was no particular reason why they should have been.

. . . that . . . goes to prove I definitely must be blind as a bat :)

Don't be too hard on yourself. You were probably just distracted. I've noticed that there is often a large number of people in that area who try vigourously to attract the attention of passers-by.

Regarding your first query, if you mean by it what I think you mean, then taking advantage of my very limited French, I would say, au contraire. If you mean something more literal than I think and hope, then the short answer is that I do not know, because I did not ask any personal questions of that kind, but I think not.

Regarding your second query, they did not seem to be, but we were in an air-conditioned room, so there was no particular reason why they should have been.

A brilliant riposte, and a put you down for keo. Good way to deal with some posters on here.

. . . that . . . goes to prove I definitely must be blind as a bat :D

Don't be too hard on yourself. You were probably just distracted. I've noticed that there is often a large number of people in that area who try vigourously to attract the attention of passers-by.

:) Actually nothing in that area to distract me at all, unless they have introduced some good looking guys!

:) Actually nothing in that area to distract me at all, unless they have introduced some good looking guys!

Alas, I was simply trying, obviously unsuccessfully, to add a bit of wit to my usual silliness.