Visitors Down By A Half

mommysboy

In general Thai women like young Thai guys.

They don't really like Western men. They don't like our style, our attitude, our superior education, our habits, our sense of humour and they don't understand us, our culture nor our wants and our needs.

There are exceptions but that's how it is.

I know my Thai girlfriend is with me for financial betterment, as are many of my friends' Thai spouses (whether they know it or not).

Now that's truism laugh.gif . Funny though, they think they look like Brad Pit when drunk (Brad pit's ass perhaps).

Anyone can be Brad Pitt for a few thousand Baht.

The sad truth of a nation that so willingly sells its daughters into sexual slavery.

Edited by Oberkommando

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't really like Western men. They don't like our style, our attitude, our superior education, our habits, our sense of humour and they don't understand us, our culture nor our wants and our needs.

I know my Thai girlfriend is with me for financial betterment, as are many of my friends' Thai spouses (whether they know it or not).

Now that's truism laugh.gif . Funny though, they think they look like Brad Pit when drunk (Brad pit's ass perhaps).

The sad truth of a nation that so willingly sells its daughters into sexual slavery.

Of course a few thousand bath worth of booze will turned anyone into Brad Pit or Iron Mike Tyson, but it's not reality is it?

Unfortunately it happens all over the world. The blame should ALSO be placed on the johns who frequented these places. If it was not in demand it wouldn't be for sale. NOT excusing the parents actions of course.

Edited by Misplaced

Of course a few thousand bath worth of booze will turned anyone into Brad Pit or Iron Mike Tyson, but it's not reality is it?

Unfortunately it happens all over the world. The blame should ALSO be placed on the johns who frequented these places. If it was not in demand it wouldn't be for sale. NOT excusing the parents actions of course.

Not on the massive scale that it does in Thailand.

The demand in the main is local.

Perhaps more a cultural problem than a foreign one, indeed, the first Western visitors to Thailand even remarked on the 'hospitality'.

Edited by Oberkommando

Not on the massive scale that it does in Thailand.

The demand in the main is local.

Perhaps more a cultural problem than a foreign one, indeed, the first Western visitors to Thailand even remarked on the 'hospitality'.

Do enlighten me with proof(s). I have yet to see any data supporting such statement.

Thailand is becoming more prosperous by the year. With prosperity comes higher standards of living and higher prices.

I remember Bangkok in 1984, it was a mass of shanty towns with dwellings made of corregated iron and scrap pieces of timber, they have nearly all gone. There were few skyscrapers and modern buildings. I do not remember any motorways and the vehicles on the potholed roads were jalopies that would be confiscated and crushed in any Western country.

Thailand is going down the ecomonic route taken by the other SE Asian countries like Japan and South Korea and the prices will continue to increase until they mirror those in European and American holiday resorts. In a few years or decades it will be a reserve of only the wealthy tourists.

Thailand is becoming more prosperous by the year. With prosperity comes higher standards of living and higher prices.

I remember Bangkok in 1984, it was a mass of shanty towns with dwellings made of corregated iron and scrap pieces of timber, they have nearly all gone. There were few skyscrapers and modern buildings. I do not remember any motorways and the vehicles on the potholed roads were jalopies that would be confiscated and crushed in any Western country.

Thailand is going down the ecomonic route taken by the other SE Asian countries like Japan and South Korea and the prices will continue to increase until they mirror those in European and American holiday resorts. In a few years or decades it will be a reserve of only the wealthy tourists.

Last time I looked Thailand had the worst annual economic growth rate in the region.

I was in Bangkok in 1986 and do not remember as being as bad as you described.

Thailand is not going down the same route as Japan and S. Korea. Those economies grew because of real productivity.

Thailand seems to think that artificially raising prices is all that is necessary......wrong. It doesn't work that way.

A simple fix would be to open up the entire economy to foreign competition. Within ten years Thailand would be more like Singapore or Japan or S. Korea.

But the elites that control virtually all of the disposable wealth in the country will never let that happen.

Don't forget to put on your life jacket.........Thailand Titanic has hit something..........it is going down fast.

IMO the decline of tourism in LoS have more to do with the Global crunch.But it's true that Thailand is doing its part in scaring away tourists,long time residents and potential investors.Yesterday i went to 7/11 for a large Leo,it was 78 B. against 41 B. the day before.Of course, as you can see on another thread,the alternatives to Thailand are not so many,so probably people will keep on coming,but how long?If Thailand wants to keep its 10% of income which no doubt come from foreign visitors, should put a halt to the wild destruction of pristine areas,keep the prices low and ease the immigration policies.

Beer Leo 47bt versus 41bt surely ? but still a hefty rise and that comes on top of the ATM charge.

Yes sure the credit crunch is the prime mover and people are generally not holidaying abroad as much, but when they do start again I think they will be more discerning, Thailand was always cheap and cheerful, not anymore!

Alternatives to Thailand:I'm sure Cambodia would like to usurp it's neighbour for many reasons. As to it's ability to do so, well it's more about the ability of wealthy foreigners to do so. A lot of people have had their fingers burned by Thailand over the years and revenge is a powerful force.

I don't think Thailand wants the tourism, that much is surely self evident.

Shop A opens up a salon - so instead of finding a business to compliment this situation and find additional reasons to attract even more business to the area, Shop B, C, and D open up exactly the same thing and they all sit around wondering why they have such little business.

Not only do they open the SAME EXACT BUSINESS, but they do so RIGHT NEXT DOOR to one another.

Shop A opens up a salon - so instead of finding a business to compliment this situation and find additional reasons to attract even more business to the area, Shop B, C, and D open up exactly the same thing and they all sit around wondering why they have such little business.

Not only do they open the SAME EXACT BUSINESS, but they do so RIGHT NEXT DOOR to one another.

I counted over 40 shop stalls all in a line, selling the same thing, even laid out the same, like mirror images. I forget where, between BKK and Roi-Et which is a long way I know.

Tourism ~ 6%

Agriculture and manufacturing ~ 55%

I'm about nine times more concerned with ag and factories than I am with tourism. :)

Bloomberg quotes 12%, others 8%, who knows? I mean honestly what does that 6% represent, it's always sounded mighty low to me, especially as this is a country associated with tourism!

Agriculture is only 12% I think, you'd think higher!

Really then the main driver is factories and they are having a woeful time too!

But even if tourism is just 6%- 50% reduction is a still a very big deal.

And in a way tourism is in many ways just a foot in the door, it leads to far greater sums coming over, be it to Lek the exotic dancer, or Somchai the golf course developer.

Tourism ~ 6%

I'm about nine times more concerned with ag and factories than I am with tourism. :)

Bloomberg quotes 12%, others 8%, who knows? I mean honestly what does that 6% represent, it's always sounded mighty low to me, especially as this is a country associated with tourism!

And in a way tourism is in many ways just a foot in the door, it leads to far greater sums coming over, be it to Lek the exotic dancer, or Somchai the golf course developer.

Don't know if this helps?

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/th-thailand/eco-economy

Good night bkkjames and good night Ben, Mary Ellen, Jim Bob, John-Boy, Olivia, John Sr, Grandma, Jason, Erin, Elizabeth, Grandpa.

Agreed, especially bkkjames who appears to suffer from learning difficulties.

Tourism ~ 6%

For sure it does well done, but I'd still be interested what is and isn't counted in that figure.

Perhaps tourism really isn't much of a deal- certainly no alarm bells ringing!

For that matter, I reckon the real power brokers couldn't care about exports either, at least manuafactured ones.

Tourism ~ 6%

For sure it does well done, but I'd still be interested what is and isn't counted in that figure.

Perhaps tourism really isn't much of a deal- certainly no alarm bells ringing!

For that matter, I reckon the real power brokers couldn't care about exports either, at least manuafactured ones.

I think the 6% number is right. Heard it before. However, there is a huge black economy in tourism here, which the mind neither wants to consider or contemplate. This black economy supports some of the poorest up here in delightful Issan. This is not measured and will not be in their statistics yet plays a very important (yet sad) role in the welfare of many, many families.

Here's what the 'company' says. From CIA World Factbook 2008.

With a well-developed infrastructure, a free-enterprise economy, and generally pro-investment policies, Thailand was one of East Asia's best performers from 2002-04, averaging more than 6% annual real GDP growth. However, overall economic growth has fallen sharply - averaging 4.9% from 2005 to 2007 - as persistent political crisis stalled infrastructure mega-projects, eroded investor and consumer confidence, and damaged the country's international image. Exports were the key economic driver as foreign investment and consumer demand stalled. Export growth from January 2005 to November 2008 averaged 17.5% annually. Business uncertainty escalated, however, following the September 2006 coup when the military-installed government imposed capital controls and considered far-reaching changes to foreign investment rules and other business legislation. Although controversial capital controls have since been lifted and business rules largely remain unchanged, investor sentiment has not recovered. Moreover, the 2008 global financial crisis further darkened Thailand's economic horizon. Continued political uncertainty will hamper resumption of infrastructure mega-projects.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...ok/geos/th.html

GDP - composition by sector:

agriculture: 11.4%

industry: 44.5%

services: 44.1% (2008 est.)

Labor force - by occupation:

agriculture: 42.6%

industry: 20.2%

services: 37.1% (2005 est.)

Edited by MJP

Thailand is going down the ecomonic route taken by the other SE Asian countries like Japan and South Korea

If that is true, they have picked a really bad time to do it........ way too slow ..... the bus has already left.

And they are only doing it in words only anyway.

6% GDP from tourism is an official guestimate that includes Hotel rooms, food/drink, domestic transport and some entertainment.

It doesn't include "gentlemens entertainment" or the Billions of Baht sent to Thailand annually by the imbeciles who fall in love with BGs and send them monthly Western Union cheques.

As was previously pointed out, the black tourism market would equal the official market so the real benefit from tourism is much higher than official figures.

If the real market is down by 50% that probably means the black market is also down. May not be as much gold sold in Isaan this year.

They don't really like Western men. They don't like our style, our attitude, our superior education, our habits, our sense of humour and they don't understand us, our culture nor our wants and our needs.There are exceptions but that's how it is.

...right. Turkish men like fat, blond women. Thai women like young Thai guys. Many are very handsome and have that cool macho thing Thai women fall for.

Thai women would stay no nanosecond longer with an elder, tense Farang, if he would not pay. They can make old Farangs feel young, but that's a perfect show.

If you are a young, handsome and relaxed Farang, they could fall in love with you and then they give you all. If they really love you, nothing else is important. Sin sod, mamapapasickkwai duty is not on the table.

It's seldom. More then seldom in the red light scene. But it can happen. I knew a Farang, whose Thai girlfriend gave him all she earned at Patpong.

Soi walking here in Pattaya is hurting. I talk to alot of owners and they are fearful of the future.

One of my favorite gogos usually packed shut down this week.

Old friend on Samet worried. There's Scandinavians about, but very, very few British tourists. Says he's getting by. Must remember that we are getting into low season as well as the biggest financial crisis since the 1930's. :)

Soi walking here in Pattaya is hurting. I talk to alot of owners and they are fearful of the future.

Old friend on Samet worried. There's Scandinavians about, but very, very few British tourists. Says he's getting by. Must remember that we are getting into low season as well as the biggest financial crisis since the 1930's. :)

A few months ago I started a thread on bars and shops closing, commenting on one small walk I make regularly from Pratunam up to the 1st floor of the Indra complex. Since then it's been carnage, at one point most of the shops were empty. I would never have believed this possible a year ago, and what's more I think Thailand is now only a quarter through the slump.

A few months ago I started a thread on bars and shops closing, commenting on one small walk I make regularly from Pratunam up to the 1st floor of the Indra complex. Since then it's been carnage, at one point most of the shops were empty. I would never have believed this possible a year ago, and what's more I think Thailand is now only a quarter through the slump.

Slumps only just begun. Seen Germany's crunch. -15.8% GDP annualised, it was -3.8% in Q1.

That friend sounded, admitted actually feeling worried and depressed. Was buoyant a month ago. So the contagion of loss of confidence spreads across the globe.

Worried? Me? Nahhhh . . . :D

Slumps only just begun. Seen Germany's crunch. -15.8% GDP annualised, it was -3.8% in Q1.

That friend sounded, admitted actually feeling worried and depressed. Was buoyant a month ago. So the contagion of loss of confidence spreads across the globe.

Worried? Me? Nahhhh . . . :D

A piece from the Telegraph:

The export-reliant country has been hit hard as world trade nose-dived in the latter months of last year. Charles Dumas of Lombard Street Research said: "German economic policy is bankrupt, and the Mediterranean countries stuck in EMU are also condemned to ongoing economic collapse.

And perhaps Thailand too.

The strange thing is that the export reliant countries seem to have been hit hardest. German policymakers have also been criticised for doing little to stem the tide, again parallels with Thailand.

A piece from the Telegraph:

The export-reliant country has been hit hard as world trade nose-dived in the latter months of last year. Charles Dumas of Lombard Street Research said: "German economic policy is bankrupt, and the Mediterranean countries stuck in EMU are also condemned to ongoing economic collapse.

And perhaps Thailand too.

The strange thing is that the export reliant countries seem to have been hit hardest. German policymakers have also been criticised for doing little to stem the tide, again parallels with Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Economi...0&start=400

I wrote this, in another thread in the doom forum.

"When we talk about economy, what do we actually mean?

Do we mean the (now defunct) Western model of ever increasing consumption of luxury goods and services?

Or do we mean the ability of a society to function. The provision of clean water, food, transportation, housing, schooling, health care etc?

Think of economy in terms of Maslow's hierarchy of human needs. The Western example has 'self-actualisation' at the top, whereas the Eastern (poor eastern) has food, shelter, basic human needs.

Thailand may have 'come a long way' into the western model. But does it still have the society and culture to go back to a self-sufficiency economy?"

World's changing. Only got so much resource and with so many people.

I'd rather have a World where we live efficiently and sensibly (I'm really trying not to use the word 'sustainably' here as it's been contaminated by so many politicians) than one where we fudge the number to keep excess production and obese consumption alive.

I have kids.

Edited by MJP

Tourism ~ 6%

At least with agriculture, you try to kill the parasites or you will have a failed crop.

Tourist Parasites at Thailands Main Tourist Attraction:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29324583@N05/...8273247/detail/

Edited by KhunAlbert

Tourism ~ 6%

At least with agriculture, you try to kill the parasites or you will have a failed crop.

Tourist Parasites at Thailands Main Tourist Attraction:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29324583@N05/...8273247/detail/

Hey Bert. Good point, but eroded by skewing figures. We shouldn't lump ag. in with factories. Ag. is about 11% I think. Factories are big polluters too.

But perhaps tourism is overplayed, and that's the reason the powers that be aren't doing much.