Prices

cmjantje

Stil the question, how far, you think, can they go?

If your talking about the price for a can of beer, I'd say that they aren't done raising taxes until a can Chang in a supermarket costs about 60 baht. Once they reach that level it will mean that Thailand has gone from "3rd world to 1st".

If your talking about the price for a can of beer, I'd say that they aren't done raising taxes until a can Chang in a supermarket costs about 60 baht. Once they reach that level it will mean that Thailand has gone from "3rd world to 1st".

Now you got it mate. The fat cats in BK are not getting the money from the VAT, the hotel tax, or the many other forms of squeezing the tourists, also the taxes paid by the 1 million Thais that will lose their jobs this year due to the global economy. The tourists are not coming to the Land Of Scam anymore " the jig is up", so they have to maintain their lifestyle somehow. The 150 baht charge at ATMs and the sin tax, both in one month, is for openers expect much more ! The political thing, reds, yellows, blues etc is the tip of the iceberg. Don't get me wrong, I love this city and its people, Thai and farang but the future here is looking bleaker day by day.

Sorry for the rude awakening, some things are a kick in the head.

Chok Dee.

You mean the American economical model which started the crisis?

You can never go wrong blaming everything on America, even if it is pretty much the whole world's

fault. :)

If I am right, It is in America where they invented the sh*t mortgages and because of these mortgages people could not pay back anymore. This was the start for the crisis.

They sold these mortgges to the rest of the world, with Insurance!! and now even the insurance companies In America cannot pay back the losses. So who is responsible at the root?

But again I can be wrong. Maybe I am thinking too simple.

The global economy goes way beyond my expertise and understanding.

Thailand is experiencing lower revenues and taxes because exports are slower. The way they increase their revenues is to increase taxes. Makes perfect sense. I notice this in Chiang Mai, instead of someone trying to figure out how to do more business and make their business better they raise prices.

We can all drive less, eat less and buy one less appliance if the price went up too far. Boycott beer? Not an option.

Probably as far as the Thai public will allow......

With a Prime Minister in power here who was educated in the UK during the Thatcher years, I am sure there is much more to come; sadly.

Lessons have certainly been learned from that era....'say one thing, do another' seems to be the flavour of the day at the moment in Thailand.

For example, we were told that hotels prices would be reduced throughout Thailand, yet during the past 2 weeks in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, I have not seen any significant reductions in hotel prices that would entice tourists into Thailand.

We were told that air fares with Thai Airways would be reduced significantly to improve the abysmal financial situation at the airline and encourage travel to Thailand. Last week a BA return trip from UK to Bangkok would have cost approx 50,000 Baht. The same trip with Thai Airways cost approx 89,000 Baht! And I know who I would rather fly with!

A number of other examples exist, but we can see that we are clearly being misled.

Being told that the country is doing its utmost to restore tourism to Thailand in one breath, and in the next being told that taxes are to be increased on tobacco, alcohol and gasoline. Three items that almost certainly will affect tourists.

Wouldn't a better system be to increase taxation significantly on incomes in excess of 150,000 Baht per month? This would certainly have no impact on tourism and it would be fair to 90% of Thai people. But the current political system here is following Thatchers ideas whereby the rich get richer and the poor get poorer!

Still for locals and expats located close to the Myanmar, Laos or Cambodian borders, it is becoming significantly more cost effective to shop accross the border, and it would indeed appear that the government is encouraging this practice by increasing taxation.

At the end of the day, one has to remember who is ultimately responsible for the dwindling numbers of tourists here in the first place!

Still for locals and expats located close to the Myanmar, Laos or Cambodian borders, it is becoming significantly more cost effective to shop accross the border, and it would indeed appear that the government is encouraging this practice by increasing taxation.

At the end of the day, one has to remember who is ultimately responsible for the dwindling numbers of tourists here in the first place!

You touch on a very real point and in the short run it is Thailand that will suffer. Tourists will start to spread into countries surrounding Thailand and it is their economy that will progress instead of Thailands. Tourists are always on the lookout for good value for their money. Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Korea and Vietnam will gain at Thailand's loss. Right now, most of those countries don't have the infrastructure to maintain a large volume of tourists, but it will happen sooner than later. Only Myanmar and North Korea will be held back until they eventually get rid of their terrible military leadership. In the long term (like 50 years or more) all of south east Asia will assimilate with more affluent countries in Europe and the Americas.

Now you got it mate. The fat cats in BK are not getting the money from the VAT, the hotel tax, or the many other forms of squeezing the tourists, also the taxes paid by the 1 million Thais that will lose their jobs this year due to the global economy. The tourists are not coming to the Land Of Scam anymore " the jig is up", so they have to maintain their lifestyle somehow. The 150 baht charge at ATMs and the sin tax, both in one month, is for openers expect much more ! The political thing, reds, yellows, blues etc is the tip of the iceberg. Don't get me wrong, I love this city and its people, Thai and farang but the future here is looking bleaker day by day.

Sorry for the rude awakening, some things are a kick in the head.

Chok Dee.

Quite agree that what you say is part of the reason/s for the present hike in prices but i would also like to add that apart from reduced income in to the Gov coffers they have an additional debt to pay regarding the as i understand it heavy borrowing that they have or will be undertaking soon.

This borrowed money and the interest has to be paid back For many years to come)and this extra burden of the borrowed money on the Countries dwindling finances has to be found from some where.

yes your quite right when you say Expect much more.

I haven't drank much since I was in my 20's but this time the tax pushed my wife and I to quit smoking, that's not a bad thing from where we are standing. I will say I get social security from the Thai government which covers my medical bills 100% including check ups and medication for a small fee of 750฿ per month from my pay, which since the new tax has been cut to 450฿ per month.

As far as the wages not going up that is not entirely true in the past 2 years we have received a total of 5.3% increase in salary as the economy changes, also people that make less than I think 15,000฿ per month receive an additional 2,000฿ per month (I don't know for how long) as long as they are tax payers (actually less than 19,000฿ per month you get all your tax money back). When my child was born social security paid me 50% in cash the day I showed the hospital receipt and they deposit 350฿ in my bank account monthly to buy milk and diapers until my child is 12 years old (I hope she will be out of the diapers by then). In any event my point is the government helps a lot with the taxes they impose, more than the USA ever helped me by a long shot. I know it may not sound like a lot and I honestly don't need the extra but they give it to all equally, if nothing else it is a kind gesture. I would also like to mention the water and electric have been free for almost a year now, my family doesn't qualify for free electric as we use a lot but we haven't paid for water in nearly a year nor have any of my neighbors that I am aware of. So, there is some benefit even if you don't see it.

Interesting post above

I am just wondering why a lot or Farmers don't register as tax payers and receive some of those benefits (may be they do i don't no) but if they don't an additional 2000Bht a month 350Bht a month for Milk and Diapers until the child is 12 (seems odd) would i imagine be very helpful.

Edited by tigerbalm

Laos, Cambodia and Burma rely on imports from Thailand and Vietnam and are usually more expensive than Thailand. Tourists might go there instead of Thailand, but it will not be because of prices.

If that is the case then why are things cheaper on the Burma side of Mai Sai than in Chiang Mai?

I think it's the stuff imported from China that is cheaper.

Some day when the oppressive Burmese army changes to a more progressive system the coast along the Andaman Sea is going to blossom into the greatest tourist mecca in south east Asia.

I haven't drank much since I was in my 20's but this time the tax pushed my wife and I to quit smoking, that's not a bad thing from where we are standing. I will say I get social security from the Thai government which covers my medical bills 100% including check ups and medication for a small fee of 750฿ per month from my pay, which since the new tax has been cut to 450฿ per month.

As far as the wages not going up that is not entirely true in the past 2 years we have received a total of 5.3% increase in salary as the economy changes, also people that make less than I think 15,000฿ per month receive an additional 2,000฿ per month (I don't know for how long) as long as they are tax payers (actually less than 19,000฿ per month you get all your tax money back). When my child was born social security paid me 50% in cash the day I showed the hospital receipt and they deposit 350฿ in my bank account monthly to buy milk and diapers until my child is 12 years old (I hope she will be out of the diapers by then). In any event my point is the government helps a lot with the taxes they impose, more than the USA ever helped me by a long shot. I know it may not sound like a lot and I honestly don't need the extra but they give it to all equally, if nothing else it is a kind gesture. I would also like to mention the water and electric have been free for almost a year now, my family doesn't qualify for free electric as we use a lot but we haven't paid for water in nearly a year nor have any of my neighbors that I am aware of. So, there is some benefit even if you don't see it.

Nice post Khun Jungian, thanks. You are right, I was blinded by all the talk about government corruption that is a daily topic in the news. It is good to hear that there are programs in place to help the hard working Thais deal with the financial slump. My post was a rant after reading the Thai government official saying that the 150B charge at the ATM was because the Visa and Master Charge banks raised the fee. Next day the Visa bank spokesperson said they have not raised the fee since October last year and then it was only .01% !!! I guess my point is something is very wrong here. I don't

know how many expats live in Thailand but I do know we bring a substantial amount of money into the country and spend it. I know I do. I am retired, single and I can be on a plane out of here in 24 hours to the Philippines or any other country that welcomes my dollars without half the grief I get from Thai Immigration. The folks in charge have driven 50% of the tourists away, now they are making many expats who live here rethink their position. When the going gets tough the tough get going. I wish you and your family well. Sawasdee Kup

An error in my post. I talked to the department secretary yesterday at my office she earns around 8,000฿ per month she told me the 2,000฿ given by the government was a once and done deal however they have given a raise in salaries and are considering giving another lump sum. There are many benefits available some like the 350฿ per month you don't even have to register for they sign you up automatically providing you are paying social security. Social security is also based on your income obviously someone earning 8,000฿ per month is not paying 750฿ but rather somewhere in the neighborhood of 150฿ Also something most people don't realize is when the fuel prices went through the roof the government was subsidizing the cost and removed almost all of the tax and offered interest free loans to install LPG and NGV as well as offering a coupon worth up to 7,000฿ discount for installation. Indeed Thailand has given me more than I have paid for including a night in ICU (blood sugar dropped for unknown reasons never happened again, likely the heat) which only cost me 8฿ for the tissues! The hospital in the USA where I worked and my crappy medical plan would have made sure I absorbed most of the cost as they would have said there is nothing wrong with you your blood sugar is just a little low and billed me around $3,500. My tax rate here is in line with my salary and I do not feel over taxed or taxed without representation, the USA I was taxed and double taxed and taxed without representation which I would be happy to give examples of but it is a bit off topic.

You will never hear me say that Thailand is too expensive for me as a retired person. Lets be honest, most of us have more than 75.000 baht to spend, which is about 5 to 10 times as much as the "locals".

My biggest question is, how far will the Thai people let the government raise the taxes because everything will become more expensive due to, for instance, the raise of petrol prices. I mean, the price of rice is still very high compared with 7 months ago.

I also don't think expats will leave Thailand because of the same reason, Thailand is still cheap and we can live here as Kings. Some of us are complaining about the immigration rules but I must say it is almost the same like in Europe. I am not talking about the visa runs. IMHO these people who have to do these runs don't belong here because they are abusing a system.

The one year renewal and 3 month report is the same like for instance in Holland.

You're all so worried about yourselves ....BUT what about the poor local guy who earns 5,000 / 6,000 Baht per month ...? Where gas has increased 60% since January and Pork their main food by 20 to 25 % .....???? Not to mention Rice which has also increased by 35% ...Great the government gave them 2,000 Baht if they made less than 15,000 Baht per month to spend IMMEDIATELY ...but that was after massives increases in April which are now even higher ...so what was the point....??

Please do not compare to Europe or other countires where people don't make a mere 5,000 Baht / month earning ...!!!!

There is no rhyme or reason to the ludicrous increases happening right now in Thailand ....And I don't care about the increases on booze or cigarettes ...I am talking about essential comodities ...essential for the mere existence of the local average Thai person !!!

An error in my post. I talked to the department secretary yesterday at my office she earns around 8,000฿ per month she told me the 2,000฿ given by the government was a once and done deal however they have given a raise in salaries and are considering giving another lump sum. There are many benefits available some like the 350฿ per month you don't even have to register for they sign you up automatically providing you are paying social security. Social security is also based on your income obviously someone earning 8,000฿ per month is not paying 750฿ but rather somewhere in the neighborhood of 150฿ Also something most people don't realize is when the fuel prices went through the roof the government was subsidizing the cost and removed almost all of the tax and offered interest free loans to install LPG and NGV as well as offering a coupon worth up to 7,000฿ discount for installation. Indeed Thailand has given me more than I have paid for including a night in ICU (blood sugar dropped for unknown reasons never happened again, likely the heat) which only cost me 8฿ for the tissues! The hospital in the USA where I worked and my crappy medical plan would have made sure I absorbed most of the cost as they would have said there is nothing wrong with you your blood sugar is just a little low and billed me around $3,500. My tax rate here is in line with my salary and I do not feel over taxed or taxed without representation, the USA I was taxed and double taxed and taxed without representation which I would be happy to give examples of but it is a bit off topic.

No, the Social Insurance fees are 10%= 5% to the employee and 5% to the employer= total 10% so if she is earning 8,000 Baht per month it is = 400 Baht ....200 Baht the employee has to pay and 200 Baht the employer has to pay

As for the fuel ...when fuel prices reached almost $140 /barrel worldwide , the fuel prices here also went up to almost 28 Baht per liter for 91 Gasohol.... Gas is now $60 / Barrel so why has Gasohol 91, now today, after yet another increase this week of 60 Satang is at 26.89 / liter in barely 5 months time ??? I don't care about what you are saying about Government subsidising and removing the taxes for what 6 MONTHS and now they are back with a revenge ....Sorry there is absolutely no logic here for me ..Help the poor Thai people to help people for about 6 months and then run a bulldozer through them and increase everything but everything to crazy unaffordable prices for them ....Hughhhhhh...!! And lure them with a stupid 2,000 baht bribery which they were instructed to go and spend and not put into their savings ...How could they even consider putting it into their savings when they are struggling like mad as it is ...???

So repeat this to me again please ....I'm Blonde today!!!! ...why exactly does the government NEED these EXTRA TAXES SO QUICKLY ANYWAY??? And please do not compare costs in Amrica or Europe ...I am am talking about LOCAL THAI PEOPLE IN THAILAND SURVIVING HERE ON 5,000 / 6,000 BAHT per MONTH !!! How the hel_l is the government helping them ...You / us Falangs can survive this ..BUT THEM>>>> AND YOU WONDER WHY THEY ARE INCREASING THEIR PRICES IN BARS AND RESTAURANTS !!!! AND COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!!!

No, the Social Insurance fees are 10%= 5% to the employee and 5% to the employer= total 10% so if she is earning 8,000 Baht per month it is = 400 Baht ....200 Baht the employee has to pay and 200 Baht the employer has to pay

As for the fuel ...when fuel prices reached almost $140 /barrel worldwide , the fuel prices here also went up to almost 28 Baht per liter for 91 Gasohol.... Gas is now $60 / Barrel so why has Gasohol 91, now today, after yet another increase this week of 60 Satang is at 26.89 / liter in barely 5 months time ??? I don't care about what you are saying about Government subsidising and removing the taxes for what 6 MONTHS and now they are back with a revenge ....Sorry there is absolutely no logic here for me ..Help the poor Thai people to help people for about 6 months and then run a bulldozer through them and increase everything but everything to crazy unaffordable prices for them ....Hughhhhhh...!! And lure them with a stupid 2,000 baht bribery which they were instructed to go and spend and not put into their savings ...How could they even consider putting it into their savings when they are struggling like mad as it is ...???

So repeat this to me again please ....I'm Blonde today!!!! ...why exactly does the government NEED these EXTRA TAXES SO QUICKLY ANYWAY??? And please do not compare costs in Amrica or Europe ...I am am talking about LOCAL THAI PEOPLE IN THAILAND SURVIVING HERE ON 5,000 / 6,000 BAHT per MONTH !!! How the hel_l is the government helping them ...You / us Falangs can survive this ..BUT THEM>>>> AND YOU WONDER WHY THEY ARE INCREASING THEIR PRICES IN BARS AND RESTAURANTS !!!! AND COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!!!

Yes, you really are blond today :)

Firstly, if the employer and the employee each pay 5% on a gross salary of 8,000 baht/month, that means that each of them will pay 400 baht, not 200 baht. (Incidentally, I seem to remember that the government has temporarily lowered the rate for Social Security Fund contributions, against the resistance of at least some labour unions.)

Secondly, you've tried that thing about the fuel once before in another thread and were disproven then. The price of gasohol 91 at the peak of international crude oil prices (June/July 2008) was not "almost 28 Baht per liter", but rather 38.59 baht/litre (Bangkok prices, so probably around 39 baht/litre in CM, due to the extra transportation costs).

You may well complain about prices, but if you're going to give examples please get them right. Otherwise no one is going to care about what you're saying.

Finally, the government does need these taxes so quickly because they have equally quickly raised their expenses to an extreme level to battle the international financial crises. In effect, they are actually raising the prices for everybody and using the money to help the poorest (remember the cash hand-out etc?). What I'm saying is of course an over-simplification (politics is a messy business) but it's the essence of what is going on.

/ Priceless

No the govt hasn't lowered the rate for Soc. Sec. contributions, it is the same.

The very poorest and most farmers won't be in the Soc. Security system, as to join it you have to be employed by a registered company (once you leave you can do self contributions, but you need the company employment to get in the system). As far as I know this hasn't changed.

I don't follow many of the prices that closely but would someone care to explain why on earth pork is so expensive. Lucky for me I am 90% veg. (Eat some chicken). Chicken seems to be around 40-60Bt/kg depending which part you buy but pork is around 140Bt/kg. Its ridiculous.

Whatever the logic behind the gas increase. To start suddenly raising prices again and again certainly doesn't go unnoticed for the average Thai. A lot of people are complaining, it is magnified by the juxtaposition to the terrible economy.

No the govt hasn't lowered the rate for Soc. Sec. contributions, it is the same.

The very poorest and most farmers won't be in the Soc. Security system, as to join it you have to be employed by a registered company (once you leave you can do self contributions, but you need the company employment to get in the system). As far as I know this hasn't changed.

I don't follow many of the prices that closely but would someone care to explain why on earth pork is so expensive. Lucky for me I am 90% veg. (Eat some chicken). Chicken seems to be around 40-60Bt/kg depending which part you buy but pork is around 140Bt/kg. Its ridiculous.

Whatever the logic behind the gas increase. To start suddenly raising prices again and again certainly doesn't go unnoticed for the average Thai. A lot of people are complaining, it is magnified by the juxtaposition to the terrible economy.

I had a quick check and this is an example of what I was referring to:

Six-month break in contributions

By The Nation

Published on April 28, 2009

SSF rate already cut down; to be reduced further

Both employees and employers will soon get a temporary break on their social security contributions.

"The reduction should be applicable for six months starting in June," Somchai Chumrat, chairman of the Social Security Office, said yesterday.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...l+security+fund

It may be wrong, The Nation is not the most trustworthy, but I seem to remember reading the same thing in Bangkok Post which I trust a bit more.

/ Priceless

[...]

Forgot to comment on your last point :D The price of crude oil (WTI) has gone up from ~$37 USD in February to ~$60this week, which just might be one of the reasons for the increase in petrol and diesel prices :)

post-20094-1242544148_thumb.jpg

(The Economist)

/ Priceless

Well if they had decided on anything I would imagine they would have sent out some kind of circular, so companies know in advance and can change their forms. So far I have received nothing.

Interesting article , seems all roads lead to Tongkla Archeep project!! This name keeps popping up.

Its like the ubiquitous Ferrero Rocher chocolates that appeared in all the airports and we all know what happened to them. The great Turkish Hazelnut scandal! :)

I just found one more source for the Social Security Fund question:

SSO board approves cut in contributions

By: PENCHAN CHAROENSUTHIPAN

Published: 29/04/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: NewsThe Social Security Office board has voted to cut companies' and workers' contributions for six months against opposition from labour representatives.

The temporary reduction in social security contributions from 5% to 3% will take effect on July 1 if the cabinet approves the proposal.

The five board members representing employers and the SSO secretary-general voted for the reduction while the five representing workers rejected the idea.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1580...n-contributions

It appears they're waiting for cabinet approval, which would also explain why they haven't sent any information to employers yet.

/ Priceless

Yes, you really are blond today :D

Firstly, if the employer and the employee each pay 5% on a gross salary of 8,000 baht/month, that means that each of them will pay 400 baht, not 200 baht. (Incidentally, I seem to remember that the government has temporarily lowered the rate for Social Security Fund contributions, against the resistance of at least some labour unions.)

Secondly, you've tried that thing about the fuel once before in another thread and were disproven then. The price of gasohol 91 at the peak of international crude oil prices (June/July 2008) was not "almost 28 Baht per liter", but rather 38.59 baht/litre (Bangkok prices, so probably around 39 baht/litre in CM, due to the extra transportation costs).

You may well complain about prices, but if you're going to give examples please get them right. Otherwise no one is going to care about what you're saying.

Finally, the government does need these taxes so quickly because they have equally quickly raised their expenses to an extreme level to battle the international financial crises. In effect, they are actually raising the prices for everybody and using the money to help the poorest (remember the cash hand-out etc?). What I'm saying is of course an over-simplification (politics is a messy business) but it's the essence of what is going on.

/ Priceless

Hi :D ... Sorry TOT didn't oblige me with an internet connection for the past 3 days....even though my bill was paid on time....

S..t!! No.... not totally Blonde but .....TRIPLE BLONDE.!!!!...You' re so right !!! yup my figures totally out of whack Sorry !!! Yes it was 38.59 baht/litre .... don't know why I had had 28 point something in my blonde head / mind ...need to redye those roots another color for sure and very quickly .... :) but nice surprise today to see the pump jump again .....yet another full 1 Baht ( not 60 Satang as is has been doing weekly for the past few weeks, but 1 FULL BAHT ) to now 27.69 ....so by mid June should be hoovering around the 38 Baht somethng as mentioned by you or even more maybe.....???

Beer, and our famous fags and what ever other Farang loved GENERAL items,.... are also up by 20% in one shot as of this week .... which I don't really care about but YES, I will increase my selling prices now cause I can't absorb these increases but which most Farangs are now upset about here on Thai visa ....My Final point is =

THEY ARE NOT NCREASING PRICES TO MAKE UP FOR LOST BUSINESS BUT TO MAKE A LITTLE PROFIT IN VIEW OF THE DRASTIC INCREASES IN INITIAL RAW material COSTS that are happening right now and on an almost weekly basis that too !!!

Pork, alchool , cigarettes , beef , = equals tourist business to whom all businness's have to sell to tourists and are becoming unaffordable compared to other countries in Asia !!!

So Mr. Priceless , thank you for correcting my missinfomed and misquoted statistics which you were absolutely right about , BUT, nevertheless my point is ONLY ...stop cribbing about the bars and restaunts increasing prices...!! they are not doing it to make up lost / less business but to SURVIVE THE CRAZY INCREASES THEY HAVE To bear and are facing right now!!!!!