Would Like To Relate A Positive Story From Thailand

Theyreallrubbish

My car battery was dead and a stranger stopped by to see if he could help. Neither of us had jump cables but we wandered around and borrowed some electrical wire and tried to jump start the car. Not enough current was going through the wires so then he decided he would take the battery out of his car and put it in mine to get it started.

I told him I didn't want him to go to so much trouble and I would call someone to come help. He offered to wait until that person came, but I told him he didn't have to.

Very kind of a stranger to go to such lengths, including offering to take the battery out of his car!

His wife looked a little impatient sitting in the car though!

Just thought I'd a relate a story of random kindness from a Thai as there are way too many stories of Thais ripping off farang so a little balance may be restored

i've always found that whenever i'm out on my bike and have a problem, be it a puncture, engine trouble or anything, the average thai is always straight over to see if they can help. one of the things i like most about this country.

Sometimes when I walk to the top of the Doi Suthep, there aren't any songtaews heading back so I start the journey down. Almost always, someone in a car or pickup truck will stop to offer a lift. I always offer them some cash as a thank you, and 8 times out of ten I just can't get them to take it. Even the poor looking families in old battered vehicles usually say no, despite my persistence that I would like to offer 50 or 60 Baht as a thank you.

Last week I got a puncture in the rear wheel of my motorcycle. I got it fixed in a repair shop along Nimmanhaemin, and after riding around for a while the back wheel started to wobble. Upon further inspection, I could see that the tire had not been fitted correctly. It was quite late so I took the bike to a little shack along the Chang Puek road and the bloke took the tire off the rim, checked that the tube wasn't twisted, and then refitted it all for me. He didn't want to take anything for his trouble, even though repairing punctures and changing tires etc, is his job for crying out loud!.

I was almost chasing him around his little wooden hut, and eventually he said, "look, if you must give me something, then just give me 5 Baht". I put a 20 Baht note on his little table and sped off.

So good topic OP, because you're right, there are far too many foreigners winging and bitching all the time about Thais and Thailand, but there really are a lot of very nice people out there. Of course, the complainers know this also, or they would just sod off back to where they came from if things were really as bad here as some of them portray.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Most of us long timers have seen and heard lots of examples of how gracious and kind our Thai hosts can be. When the Japanese had farang prisoners building the famous bridge on the river Kwai, I have read that some Thais would risk death to slip food to the starving Allied troops.

Sort of normal thing many Thai would do, my bf included. One time he got burned badly though by a western guy who nearly topped over. Bf reached out and helped him and in return got an earful of abuse. :) But, he doesnt think that reflects on ALL westerners, just as we shouldnt think that a few rotten experiences should reflect on all Thais.

Anyway, didnt mean that to sound too much like a rant, sorry. Enjoy reading a positive thread and hope it stays that way. Thanks for posting that Theyreallrubbish. :D

The wife always tells me never to stop to help anybody and keep the doors locked at all times ,at night don't stop stop at the traffic lights even if they are at red if there are no shops or perol stations near by thats from a thai.

In a few years I have only experienced one untoward incident, actually, an ongoing troublesome neighbor situation) regarding a Thai. I held my peace pretty much. That was eventually solved by my Thai neighbors who were equally and sometimes more annoyed.

From time to time, I have encountered small misunderstandings due to language, or just simple misunderstandings, and have gotten grumpy, but appreciate that these were simply the kinds of glitches that one would encounter anywhere. Learning how to say "I am sorry" appropriately in different situations in Thai is also helpful. Clears the air in a microsecond! If you do get overwrought and you hear a Thai say "You talk too much," that's a big clue that he or she gets your point so a graceful bow and exit is suggested.

In writing this, I have to add that I have been appalled almost daily by the appearance and behavior of many farang who seem to think that "anything goes," from such minor but very laughable inappropriateness as wearing singlets and shorts as they slop around to, well, much more. Well, if you like to go slumming anywhere, I think that kind of behavior is probably expected --- in the slums. Unfortunately, it seems Thailand is a land of choice because it is "cheap and easy."

Sad, really, and not very respectful of the lovely people I have had the pleasure every day to meet and enjoy.

I've been helped many times when I've had a flat tire or a dead spark plug. I don't recall ever being over charged, and most of the time I give more because I would be embarassed to pay so little. I've heard all the horror stories, but frankly that hasn't been my experience. Going up Doi Suthep one day I had a spark plug die on my rental scooter. A Thai man on another bike stopped and gave me his spare spark plug as well as putting it in. All I paid him for was the price of the spark plug. He wouldn't take any more.

I've been helped many times when I've had a flat tire or a dead spark plug. I don't recall ever being over charged, and most of the time I give more because I would be embarassed to pay so little. I've heard all the horror stories, but frankly that hasn't been my experience. Going up Doi Suthep one day I had a spark plug die on my rental scooter. A Thai man on another bike stopped and gave me his spare spark plug as well as putting it in. All I paid him for was the price of the spark plug. He wouldn't take any more.

Nice to see some positive posts, this is truly the LOS for us farang

who live here. The Thais are special people. The positives far out weigh the small negatives we experience.

Nice to see some positive posts, this is truly the LOS for us farang

who live here. The Thais are special people. The positives far out weigh the small negatives we experience.

I appreciate the sentiment of this post, but I would expand upon it to say, having lived and worked in very, very many countries, I have found that "people are people."

Of course there are cultural differences (not necessarily bound by nation state boundaries), but they are not as important as the similarities, in my view.

Maybe the problem is some folks regrettably never had mothers or others who taught them better. Anyway, seems to be a lot of people (Zing!) who have too many troubles at immigration! Maybe they should move on?

I appreciate the sentiment of this post, but I would expand upon it to say, having lived and worked in very, very many countries, I have found that "people are people."

Of course there are cultural differences (not necessarily bound by nation state boundaries), but they are not as important as the similarities, in my view.

Maybe the problem is some folks regrettably never had mothers or others who taught them better. Anyway, seems to be a lot of people (Zing!) who have too many troubles at immigration! Maybe they should move on?

It's been my experience that country people are usually more helpful than city people. That certainly seems to be the case in Canada, New Zealand and Australia. I've had marvelous country people take me into their home and insist that I stay for a few days. I do the same here in Canada. In fact I've invited a couple of German men to stay with me this coming week while I show them around. I've never met them other than on the internet fishing forum I'm apart of. And, I'm sure we will part as friends.

The wife always tells me never to stop to help anybody and keep the doors locked at all times ,at night don't stop stop at the traffic lights even if they are at red if there are no shops or perol stations near by thats from a thai.

I'd say your 'Thai' has issues. If you're so shit scared that you can't help a person in need, then you're really in the wrong place.

Good story. I have seem in my long stay in Thailand many many acts of goodwill to farangs by the Thai People, it goes without saying it is the few bad acts that makes the Headlines. A quick story, once at a local market I was trying to fine some ant chalk, try as I may with my best Thai I couldn't get this across to any of the Shopkeepers, two kids, boy and a girl about 12 or 13 came to my RESCUE, and within seconds I had my ant chalk. They were just normal kids at the market to pick up corn/lime and some other items for their mom. Lucky me they both enjoyed and learn english at there local school, and most of all not shy to practice it. :):D:D:D

In writing this, I have to add that I have been appalled almost daily by the appearance and behavior of many farang who seem to think that "anything goes," from such minor but very laughable inappropriateness as wearing singles and shorts as they slop around to, well, much more.

I know that the Lonely Planet would prefer that all farangs be wearing suits and ties and maybe a cravat - at all times - when traveling around Thailand, but it is over 40 degrees outside and that information was out of date 20 years ago.

Go check out the shopping mall sometime. Thais are modern now. They generally wear shorts and miniskirts and shirts that show lots of skin - it is hot out there. I'm sure they will not be too displeased that some farangs like to dress according to the local weather.

This is one of the more shocking threads I've seen on TV. I've always thought my plane must land in a different country than most other posters on this forum, but here I see I'm not alone.

Sure I've had a taxi driver rip me off by taking the long way and things like that, but the vast majority of my experience in Thailand is positive. Otherwise I'd just find another country to visit.

Once gave a 1000 baht note for an 80 baht meal at a food stall. Walked away forgetting to take my change. Stall owner leaves his business and spends 15 minutes running around looking for me in the market to return my change.

On the way to dropping my kids off to school, flat tyre outside the house of a stranger. Never changed a tyre in my life. Stranger and others come out to change my tyre for me and within minutes I'm off, rearview mirror showing entire families waving goodbye.

Electrician comes to do electrical work. Wife tells me to stay in the room in case electrician sees dumb-looking foreigner and decides to overcharge. I refuse to lay low in my own home. Electrician spends over half the day installing numerous sockets and plugs, uninstalls and reinstalls three ceiling fans (don't ask), even pets the dogs. Charges 600 baht.

And the month isn't even up yet.

If this thread was along the lines of 'I got ripped off by a Thai', we'd probably be on around page 16 now and growing fast, as every man and his dog got in with their hard luck story about how scandalous the county and its people are. So it's certainly nice to see a string for more positive posts on the lovely people of this hospitable land, but surely there must be many, many more?

I wonder which residents and regular posters are staying out of this particular conversation, and why?

Aitch

If this thread was along the lines of 'I got ripped off by a Thai', we'd probably be on around page 16 now and growing fast, as every man and his dog got in with their hard luck story about how scandalous the county and its people are. So it's certainly nice to see a string for more positive posts on the lovely people of this hospitable land, but surely there must be many, many more?

I wonder which residents and regular posters are staying out of this particular conversation, and why?

Aitch

I made a similar post/thread back at the beginning of the year and about 80% of the posters said the same thing.

The rest just thought I was another dumb farang.

The bad news is that good news just doesn't sell while the bad news spreads like wildfire.

No problem for me as I am happy anyway. :D:):D

Aitch

There are many nice things that can be said about the Thai people, particularly country folk. They are the friendliest and most helpful people in the world. I would never fear having a flat tire, running out of money or being in some sort of problem in any part of Thailand, particularly the north.

But, with the massive proliferation of the automobile, the need for technology and accessories and the emigration from the country to the cities the Thai culture is evolving. Land of Smiles? OK but evolving.

The naysayers? Afraid of the light.

Many countries have outstanding natural beauty, but for me thailand has great people to go with it. And living here in chiang mai, i remind myself frequently how lucky i am to have ended up here.

I've heard so so so many complaints down the years from farang about this or that to do with thai people. This was perhaps more the case when i lived in bangkok. I have often wondered if there's a link between the amount of hot air they produce and the amount of thai they have learned to speak.

Either way, just about every day i have cause to enjoy my little exchanges with thais. It's a great thing. It comes into stark contrast when i return to britain for the odd trip. Here people look at you and smile. There you'd really better not overtly look at others, and certainly not smile. Could be inviting any number of problems.

I absolutely love the place. And we're even luckier being here in chiang mai.

Great thread.

After reading your positive story the other day... I was on my way home from a short day at the office yesterday and after the heavy rain stopped I saw a (BMW) motorist on the side of the road with the hood opened. I have been a BMW enthusiast for some 20 plus years and at one time had a collection of 16 cars (don't be impressed I didn't pay more than $7,000 for the best of them) but I like to tinker, work on them and restore them to original showroom condition, the classics that is (old junkers for those of you who don't like them), In any event I pulled in behind the 1994 323i which is a little new for my liking however they work on the same basic principal with the exception of the abomination of computers controlling some major functions. My Thai is a little rough however the driver spoke very good English, I had a look and simple enough someone decided they knew better than the BMW engineers and installed a Carbonio intake which might make a Honda go faster but would only cause a problem on a precision machine. The driver told me he had purchased the car a month ago and noticed it was sluggish (again caused by the unnecessary modification) I removed the Carbonio intake dried out the intake and the car started right up and was no longer sluggish either. I told him where to go and buy the proper factory part for a bout 500฿ and he would never have this problem again.

Well the point of my story is that your story inspired me to do my first random act of kindness in Thailand, I have always been standoffish not knowing how my offer of help would be received so thanks for the shot of courage.

After reading your positive story the other day... I was on my way home from a short day at the office yesterday and after the heavy rain stopped I saw a (BMW) motorist on the side of the road with the hood opened. I have been a BMW enthusiast for some 20 plus years and at one time had a collection of 16 cars (don't be impressed I didn't pay more than $7,000 for the best of them) but I like to tinker, work on them and restore them to original showroom condition, the classics that is (old junkers for those of you who don't like them), In any event I pulled in behind the 1994 323i which is a little new for my liking however they work on the same basic principal with the exception of the abomination of computers controlling some major functions. My Thai is a little rough however the driver spoke very good English, I had a look and simple enough someone decided they knew better than the BMW engineers and installed a Carbonio intake which might make a Honda go faster but would only cause a problem on a precision machine. The driver told me he had purchased the car a month ago and noticed it was sluggish (again caused by the unnecessary modification) I removed the Carbonio intake dried out the intake and the car started right up and was no longer sluggish either. I told him where to go and buy the proper factory part for a bout 500฿ and he would never have this problem again.

Well the point of my story is that your story inspired me to do my first random act of kindness in Thailand, I have always been standoffish not knowing how my offer of help would be received so thanks for the shot of courage.

Top man Jungian. :)

That's fantastic!

Thanks for letting me know

I'm glad I took the time to post the story now.

Hey,

Don’t worry about the lack of positive responses to your post, most Thai Visa members think like you. It’s just that we get so tired of the repetitive negative winging stirrers that we have got into the habit of not responding for fear of attracting these ignorant minority trying to flame genuine posters like you.

If the farang wingers really believed what they say they would have all gone back to their home countries long ago. In truth they have nothing better to do other than flaming.

After the tsunami, the Swedish press was for weeks full of stories about even the poorest of Thais helping distressed farangs. Swedish press occasionally (when they've run out of news :) ) run polls like "What do you like best/least about different tourist destinations" and "the people" regularly comes out on top concerning Thailand.

I, for one, certainly would not be here if it weren't for the people.

/ Priceless

dam_n, Jungian, that IS a great story! Being a good Samaritin seems to be catching. There is nothing I get more pleasure from today than helping others. I do it for purely selfish reasons that it makes ME feel good. Even the good book said... As you give so shall you receive.