Foreigners Opinions On Thai Working Culture

livinthailandos

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I deeply regret investing in Thailand, and I would warn off any future investors.

Yep, I'm sure Toyota will be pulling out tomorrow. :D

I think will find that they are staying :) :-

Toyota Thailand rehires 500 workers

Second shift revived at Gateway plant

I deeply regret investing in Thailand, and I would warn off any future investors.

If your business had been a success you would not have that attitude would you ?

I know guys who have bars, the ones that make no money or lose money do nothing but moan about Thailand and how bad everything is, the ones that make money think it's not so bad at all.

They are all in the same Thailand, some make it , some don't, same the world over.

Many Farangs come to Thailand thinking they'll start a business and make money, they think their life will be one long holiday, when that business venture fails they blame Thailand.

They should blame themselves for starting a business that was doomed from the start.

Let's get something said, right up front.

I doubt anyone here on TV has the slightest reason to accuse me of being an appologist for Thais and Thailand - So you can't expect a predictable 'The Thais can do nothing wrong' from this corner.

That said, let me make my obsevations on the OP's post.

I've worked for many years now with Thais (within Thailand and overseas) on large projects (ranging in size a couple of million $ to the multi-billion $ investments). The Thais I've worked (directly) with, range from project exectuive management, through administrators, technologist, engineers, designers - right through technicians, craftsmen and construction laborours.

I could write pages on my experiences and observations - better still to sum it up in a few lines so that we can get on with our busy lives.

"It has been my experience of working with Thais that they are as good, and in many respects better, than any workers I've worked with anywhere else in the world. The Thais I have worked with, have been a pleasure to work with/manage, I found them flexible, hard working, committed and reliable - They've taught me far more than I have taught them and I absolutely am enjoying working and learning along with my latest Thai team'.

But then, it has to be said - I don't have a vested interest in running down Thai workers as some half arsed attempt at justifying the continuation of my employment in Thailand.

And there's my second observation - Foreigners who make such an effort at running down Thai workers almost always fall into one of three groups:

1. Guys who have no experience of working with Thais

2. Bar Stool Pundits (with there usual horse sh1t)

3. Guys who need to run down Thais as a justification of their own job in Thailand (Usually closely related to spending time practicing #2 above).

Ohh pleeeease.

If the above statement is true then you have absolutely no professionalism about you whatsoever.

Another Asiaphile that can see NO fault in ANYTHING a Thai person can do.

We have to justify our reason for loving Thailand don't we Guesthouse?

It can't be only about the women can it?

Thai workers are perfect huh? OMG, talk about roses tinted glasses.

Open your eyes Guesthouse, if Thai workers are so perfect why oh why does 90% of Thai construction either run;

1) Over budget

2) Over time (gross understatement).

3) Under quality (gross understatement).

4) Defect liability runs longer than construction time....I could go on and on.

They fail time and time again in ALL facets of construction, from the top down.

Your anecdotal observation is that 90% of Thai construction have the problems you indicated. The question is how come 10% is OK, given your very low opinion of Thai workers? Pehaps the 10% are well run, well managed and well staffed with better skilled workers than what you have experienced.

If you read other posts, not many here sympathise with you. My own experience of Pattaya "builders" - they say they are European managed but the only thing Eurpoean is the price: they use unskilled wokers, their "managers" can't even communcate effectively with the workers, they know next to nothing about supervising unskilled workers and when probelms arise, they inevitably balme the hapless workers who have not been provided any training whatsoever. Scratch th surface, one realises the European "project manager" was just a tiler or bricklayer who has been miraculously made "project manager" upon a chance meeting with the construction company owner in some bar. And in the end, the European builder delivers third world standards, pockets the first world profits and blames the local workers. It's a lot easier then a bit of self assessment.

Truly, as someone else mentioned, Management 101 !!! Of course there are cultural differences and poor work ethics, even within a country each workplace has its own culture and work ehtics...but it is really the capable (and trained) managers who can effectively deal with these differences and still get some results.

And recognising, respecting and dealing with cultural differences does not make you an Asiaphile, but it may make you a better manager.

Let's get something said, right up front.

I doubt anyone here on TV has the slightest reason to accuse me of being an appologist for Thais and Thailand - So you can't expect a predictable 'The Thais can do nothing wrong' from this corner.

That said, let me make my obsevations on the OP's post.

I've worked for many years now with Thais (within Thailand and overseas) on large projects (ranging in size a couple of million $ to the multi-billion $ investments). The Thais I've worked (directly) with, range from project exectuive management, through administrators, technologist, engineers, designers - right through technicians, craftsmen and construction laborours.

I could write pages on my experiences and observations - better still to sum it up in a few lines so that we can get on with our busy lives.

"It has been my experience of working with Thais that they are as good, and in many respects better, than any workers I've worked with anywhere else in the world. The Thais I have worked with, have been a pleasure to work with/manage, I found them flexible, hard working, committed and reliable - They've taught me far more than I have taught them and I absolutely am enjoying working and learning along with my latest Thai team'.

But then, it has to be said - I don't have a vested interest in running down Thai workers as some half arsed attempt at justifying the continuation of my employment in Thailand.

And there's my second observation - Foreigners who make such an effort at running down Thai workers almost always fall into one of three groups:

1. Guys who have no experience of working with Thais

2. Bar Stool Pundits (with there usual horse sh1t)

3. Guys who need to run down Thais as a justification of their own job in Thailand (Usually closely related to spending time practicing #2 above).

Ohh pleeeease.

If the above statement is true then you have absolutely no professionalism about you whatsoever.

Open your eyes Guesthouse, if Thai workers are so perfect why oh why does 90% of Thai construction either run;

1) Over budget

To be fair, I think GH and you are talking apples and oranges within the construction business. But I do agree with him in that it comes down to management and not the individual workers for a project to be completed successfully.

Give you an example. I am involved in 2 of 3 projects a Thai company is having built with a total value of about a billion USD. All 3 have the same Thai Construction company doing the job. One project (not ours) is some 6 months behind schedule and is having serious quality problems (mostly due equipment bought in China). At the same time, using the same Thai Construction company, our 2 projects are on schedule (admittedly one is border line, but that is mainly due to the foreign partner) and quality is very good. The difference? Management.

I have worked major projects all over Asia in the last 10 years, after working in business in the US for some 20 years, the issues are all pretty much the same and not that different from issues you get in the US. The solutions tend to be different here, and that is what makes an expat a success in Asia, being flexible and open minded to solutions that are outside his paradigm. That problem is what makes most people blame the Thais, which is what GH saying.

TH

It's not their fault. They were never taught how to learn.

I was in a travel agency, and the girl was very helpful at finding plane fares on the internet. I asked her about getting a visa to go to Vietnam, and she looked at me like I asked her a question that made no sense. She could sit in that office for the rest of her life, and she would never make the effort to learn about visa requirements for the countries most travelers would be interested in going to. It wasn't like I was asking her about going to Europe which she should also know. This was S.E Asia. The worst part was she thought I was stupid for asking. This is just one example of a very small percent of the population, but it's typical.

Look its really simple if you pay someone a salary they can barely live on don't expect them to work hard, show any loyalty or even be honest.

Nepotism and cronyism rule Thai business. So unless you marry the bosses daughter don't expect promotion.

50% of Thai company's experience theft or embezzlement by their employees.

That tells you how happy Thais are with their employers.

I happen to get this article from a farang guy who works here in thailand. He got this threw many farangs who have worked here in thailand for many amounts of years. Please note this is NOT in any attempt to bash thai people it is just general observations farangs have seen when working with thais. The actual list is about 2 pages long. I am just putting in some basics.

If you agree or disagree with them is fine, or have any input on the matter feel free to add in on this posting

1.Willing to change: Thais tend to hold on to their good old preferences, with no thought of making changes. Full cooperation is very hard to come around them

2.Thai trait is not daring to express one's ideas

3.Thais dont set ahead a time period on a project even when it must be done on a set time

4.Not willing to obligate and take responsibility in writing

5.Tend not to have any support plans when problems arise

6.Don't know how to solve problems

7.Not willing to tell their foreigner boss about problem until problem is worse

8.when there is a problem no one takes responsibility for the problem

9.Lack working skills

10.Most thais are not interested in learning much of the movement about the world and not in favor to gain any additional knowledge even if it involves work

11.Thai staff on many occasions like to lie on small things such as coming to work late. Absent by giving reason of being sick. Go out of office during work period time

12.Thai prefer bringing in friends or family to involve with work but when any cheating is done by friends or family and get caught thai's usually protect and cover up until discovered by management

13.Thais dont know difference between what is called work and what is called personal matter they like to very much mix the two

14.Like to be very nosy especially fellow workers matters

15.always talk about matters not related to work

16.Always wish to get raised without creating any additional work value

17.Like to quit their jobs without giving advance notices as agreed but still expect full benefits paid to them

of course I do know some of this is be applied to many countries as well.

It all starts with the school system

Edited by Garry9999

I've managed a team of 25 Thais in a multi-national and 8 now in my own company in Bangkok. And years of experience in the US before that. Managing people is hard, hard work. From factory workers to MBAs from top schools, from American, to Thai to anyone - I've done it all. As a manager your job is to get the right people in the right environment to do their best work. Part of this job is good hiring and sometimes firing people. A lot of the management job is learning and adapting every day to get the end result you and your company need. It's different here, it's a different culture - your job as a manager is to adapt, to be creative and find ways to get the results you want.

Ranting about the way your workers are is the recipe for failure anywhere, Your Failure. A good manager fixes the problem, a great leader gets his team to fix it.

Last night I came back to my office at 10PM to make a call to the US. There were 4 members of my team still working - and I hadn't asked anyone to work late. Happy with my Thai team.

I happen to get this article from a farang guy who works here in thailand. He got this threw many farangs who have worked here in thailand for many amounts of years. Please note this is NOT in any attempt to bash thai people it is just general observations farangs have seen when working with thais. The actual list is about 2 pages long. I am just putting in some basics.

If you agree or disagree with them is fine, or have any input on the matter feel free to add in on this posting

1.Willing to change: Thais tend to hold on to their good old preferences, with no thought of making changes. Full cooperation is very hard to come around them

3.Thais dont set ahead a time period on a project even when it must be done on a set time

9.Lack working skills

10.Most thais are not interested in learning much of the movement about the world and not in favor to gain any additional knowledge even if it involves work

11.Thai staff on many occasions like to lie on small things such as coming to work late. Absent by giving reason of being sick. Go out of office during work period time

12.Thai prefer bringing in friends or family to involve with work but when any cheating is done by friends or family and get caught thai's usually protect and cover up until discovered by management

13.Thais dont know difference between what is called work and what is called personal matter they like to very much mix the two

17.Like to quit their jobs without giving advance notices as agreed but still expect full benefits paid to them

of course I do know some of this is be applied to many countries as well.

These are the reasons to why this country looks the way it is....

I had to laugh when I came across this "wonderful" knock out argument

"the worker blames his tools" - well' there are differences, take a cheapo wrench,

screwdriver, any power tool "made in China" and then we'll see!

Given "bad tools, materials and environment" how can anyone do a proper job - sir?

Build the Mansion, the Airport, the Assembly Hall himself

I think it's a way too simple escape simply to answer and try to brush away with:

"What do you want then here" - that is the common defense - after all!

Go, away! Isn't the solution which will fix the problem - this attitude presents the core,

the very essence of the problem!

Sure there are failures all over the world, but in my professional time here,

I have never come across so many failures who have a PhD in covering up

these failures and blame very subtly someone else, may that be through very

well covered black mail, back stabbing what ever will suit their agenda,

It will be unexpected, anytime, anyway, at a moment one least expects it,

they will use it all the way, what ever one may use as a defense -

it won't be accepted by anyone involved!

It's not about "but they, there, so and so is the same..." it's about here and now!

I have further more never experienced people in higher positions being

so incredible fixed on a title, position on their Namecard - often impressive

but nothing, or to be fair very little to support "Managing Director" often it's

just close relationship, contacts which got them the position or title.

Furthermore there are so many people which are completly hooked, fixated,

all time busy with their omniscient and humongous "Profile Neurosis"!

and I am not here since yesterday...

Edited by Samuian

1) Thai's have no concept of an 8 hour shift. They work from opening till closing usually 12 hour shifts

Strange all the ones I employed turned up late (often incredibly so) and expected to leave on the dot..

2) Thai's have no concept of overtime.....Getting paid more if you work more than 8 hours.

Again not as far as I have seen..

3) Many Thai's have a can do attitude...Meaning they will take a small idea & open a business with it.

aka: small hair shops...small food carts...small services offered..cleaning etc.

As long as its the same tried and true idea everyone else has done.. The same salon, the same net cafe the same bar..

Racking my brains to see an 'original' idea created and pursued.. of course any successful new idea will be copied with no thought of intellectual property rights.

5) Solve problems very well as opposed to throw it away & buy a new one. They take things apart such as generators alternators engines etc & actually fix it instead of buying a new one.

Value of time verses parts..

Why then is preventative maintenance no adhered to ??

I certainly dont have my mind set in stone.. but bitter and repetitive experience shows me poor results when working with Thais... So much so I have many jobs performed at many multiples of a Thai price performed by farangs.. I simply cannot find Thais to do the work to a standard I require.

In almost every industry, there are successes and failures here in THailand, same as many other parts of the world.

On the whole, there is almost no debate that the output per person, productivity, etc etc stats show Thailand is somewhere in the middle; not as good as USA, Australia, Singapore etc, not as hopeless as some other countries.

but within almost every industry (construction included - Siphaya, THai Obayashi, etc) there are some winners, with Thai workers.

So evidently, somehow, somewhere, some people are getting the performance out of them.

It is similar to USA, who have 3 of the world's more hopeless car makers IMHO - when the Japanese went to USA, they totally proved it had nothing to do with the American automotive worker, but rather with the way in which companies like Chrysler chose to run themselves.

I've worked with winners, average people, and some basket cases, but managing here or elsewhere, the keys to creating a productive, strong team remain the same. THe skills to make that team succeed within an enterprise are not always enough, so there has to be some degree of picknig the enterprise.

however, almost all the complaints - not taught to think, not ambitiuos, etc etc - I cannot help but feel these are management 101 tasks to overcome....or to manage the people out.

A good manager works with what they have - and some of the dross is hard work no doubt, but if in 1 year you cannot get things running smoothly, either the organisational structure has some issue (wrong lines of authority), the policies suck (e.g. HR department policy to count tiles non stop and punish people) or you don't know how to hire and fire.

All these are management issues.

The complaints on Thai workers themselves....sorry but simply have not seen the uselessness referred to earlier in well managed groups - certainly see it EVERYWHERE because let's face it, there are a ton of lousy managers out there and that's why it is so easy to appear like a winner just by doing the basics well.

As for F&P, there are plenty of successful organisations building and assembling things here just as complex as white goods. No doubt there are countless ways to screw it up, but I doubt the workers are the main one....look to bereaucracy, c&*p management, bad recruitment, useless SCM and worldwide recession for that.

My friend, a university graduate works from 8 am to 6pm 6 days a week. He gets 15K baht a month plus a lodging subsidy from his employer. He's allowed 6 days holidays this year. Although he works for one of the wealthiest of land owners and members of the ruling class, he has no workplace rights and certainly doesn't share in the wealth he helps create. If any of the people bitching about Thai workers had to work under these conditions, they'd be crying for a union and whining 24/7. Thing is, if you try to join a union at my friend's workplace in hopes of getting some protection, you are terminated. It's hard to stay motivated under such working conditions and my friend has it easier than most workers that start off in a new job. Stop blaming the workers. They are a product of the work environment.

As I said before no one abuses Thai workers as much as the Thai rich..

If he is such a productive worker maybe he should find a farang employer who would likely do thier best to retain, train, and keep him..

I don't get these threads. They fixate on one segment of the Thai workforce. Fine. Then let's fixate on the industrial workforce of the west. The big American automakers are on the ropes in part because the cost of labour and the western style management approach put them there. What does that say about about the system?

Actually worker rates are only a small part of the issue.. The same worker rates for Honda in the US apply and make profits.. Its the pension contributions and legacy debt thats the issue..

The current financial crisis has been brought about by a decade of greed on the part of well educated and wealthy financiers in the USA and Europe. (Sorry folks but it was the banks in the EU that helped syndicate those financiang deals.) What does it say about the great western system?

Ohh so easy to 'blame the bankers' isnt it ?? Far less easy to blame Joe Blow house debter, who gambles on property rising, who cant resist maxing out his credit card, who needs 2 german cars in the driveway and a 50 inch flatscreen on a blue collar wage..

If you don't like it, go and do the work yourself.

Thats basically what I do.. As much myself or with trusted service people (if possible farang).. The Thai workforce and ridiculous labor laws have stopped me forming multiple businesses and in turn employing and training people.. but if thats the way they want it.. I have been an entrepreneur all over the world, made millions while in my 20's, employed literally 1000's of people (1000 a year at one point) and have no need to work, sometimes I have a good new idea for Thailand but with the kind of people I would have as a labor force I just think, why make an effort employing and training them.

1. When I post this I didn't realize I would get some many additional comments in a short time

2. Many of you have added great input on this matter, which in my experience has been very informative in some ways to me

3. Some of you senior management people / management expats have hit the nail on the head with some of those comments

4. As I have noted in the original post this is NOT in any attempt to bash thai people just general observations I would put in some comments though but this simply applies in my experiences

I believe everywhere not just here there is always some miscommunication between customer and employee and employee and management.

I believe also though that you need to be involved everyday and not just sitting in the office.

I'm now since 10 years in Thailand, and yes it is difficult for us (western's) to understand, I give you a small example:

In the Thai language there is NO word for no there is just a word for "not yes", Thai culture is very scared to "hurt someone's feelings" or to offend them, to understand their way of doing you need to understand the culture.

Off course there are many bad habits here in Thailand but why are we here? because it is still better (what ever is the best reason for us to stay) to stay here than staying in "our home country".

My suggestion for all this unhappy and frustrated people is:

go forth and multiply, this is a very polite way to say <deleted>.. off! go back home and be unhappy wherever you want but not here, nobody is keeping you here, we are here only guests!

You say that as tho its my role in life to employ them.. If they appear sub standard employees I have the option of not doing so..

I am not unhappy.. Thailand is my base.. I hop about the region and world from here, its semi cheap, the help is a hassle but easily replaceable..

I also wonder at the dislike of going back.. I am going back to the UK for a couple of months holiday.. already arranged for the merc to come meet me at the airport, booking hot air balloon rides for the missus, a classic car weekend at goodwood, a summer of distractions.. Its as though you imply to go back to the west is a hardship ?? or some kind of failure.. As long as you have adequate funds to enjoy life the west is fine, buy a nice coat, enjoy some good wines and leave before the weather changes.

....and forgot - if you are better and unknowingly make someone "above" you,

or who just thinks this, 'lose face', you've lost it - over!...

anything to make ones life difficult and miserable will be

implemented till YOU give up....and the "problem is solved"...

....and forgot - if you are better and unknowingly make someone "above" you,

or who just thinks this, 'lose face', you've lost it - over!...

anything to make ones life difficult and miserable will be

implemented till YOU give up....and the "problem is solved"...

again, if a senior manager cannot learn how to work around cultural issues (try working in Japan or Korea on this sort of face issues) then they won't be too successful. I remember the case studies on American companies going to Japan early on and trying to get things done.... or the many years of losses where western firms went to China and then simply didn't know how to get stuff done. Not a worker issue at all, but that wishy washy <deleted> issue of cross cultural communication and understanding - that's what management gets paid to do.

Understanding how to get things done is a bit of an art, much as I completely dislike the guy, Thaksin is an example of someone who understood how to get things done here in working with the government as a young upstart policeman first selling computers and eventually securing rights on various sattellite and mobile businesses.

In the same way stateside, companies like Halliburton, Enron and even guys like Oracle and Microsoft were able to secure key rights that eventually led to their success (at some period in their existance).

A true manager understands the role of politics, culture, and how to get things from others - Thailand is remarkably tolerant in that regard but certainly a minefield for someone not willing to learn how to deal with seniors or manage this overblown issue of 'face'

Edited by bertlamar

Ohh pleeeease.

1) Over budget

Not been my experience but perhaps you have this problem with jobs you are managing.

Not been my experience but perhaps you have this problem with jobs you are managing.

First of all - and I did point this out - I am by no means a defender of all things Thai (my posts here on TV are frequently attacked for being negative about Thais and Thailand) - so your accusation of me being an Asiaphile lacks credibility.

Secondly I have not said that you are here for the women - Though methinks that perhaps you protest so much (given your rush to bring the point up).

Its all about understanding.

They will cooperate once they have established a good relationship with you. More correctly, once you have established a good relationship with them as it is you who needs to change your methodology.

Correct- "ha-giet" those above you. But you can overcome this by having explicit group sessions where everyone is required to either write or express otherwise their opinion one by one.

Sabai sabai. Thais think of time as cyclical. If you want to succeed, so must you.

Or document their work or make records of their work or others. It goes hand in hand with lack of planning. The Thais have a joke- plan-ning. Ning means "do nothing" or "unmoving". In Thai, planning sounds like "plan and then fuc_k it.". In days past, when life was simpler for all humanity, countries like England and European countries had to learn to plan for the seasons like Winter which could kill food and people. Thailand had one long seasons where the farms had rice and the rivers had fish. Everything was there to get whenever needed. No need to plan.

See above.

Yes they do. They dont want to express their possible solutions to you for varying reaons. (1) Maybe you havent established a relationship with them yet (relationships are key to everything Thai- especially business/office). (2) Maybe their English is not perfect. At school they are taught to speak grammar correctly or be punished. You need to let them know you dont care about grammar. (3) Maybe you are "puu yai" to them. Offering a solution to a problem may be seen as lacking manners - "mai mee marayat" or lacking respect for seniors "mai ha-giet". (4) Maybe you havent shown enough nam-jai or fostered enough greng-jai. Ensure all the above is fixed and then teach them to come to you with solutions rather than just the problems. Enthusiastically compliment them on any solution however terrible. 3 compliments for 1 criticism.

See above as to why.

See above.

9.Lack working skills

Too vague to even consider. But Thais learn at school by memorizing large quantities of text and facts. YOu shouldn't ask a Thai employee "whats your opinion". You should ask "what do you know about this?" Likely to get you a much better response.

Thailand is fiercly independent and proud. Thai means "free". Thai people are "free people" from "the land of the free" (literally, unlike America).

By law they get 30 sick days a year I believe. You need to be aware of concepts like "sabai", "nam jai" and so on. If you want a loyal workforce who make you money you cant dismiss them as silly cultural quirks. They are crucial to you succeeding. If you foster good "thai" relationships they will stop taking the piss.

Family is everything to Thais and in a perfect world for a Thai they would work at home, surrounded by their family. For most of us westerners thats a horrible thought. But thats just our way. This is their way. Dont let them bring Family to work.

Yes. Because the relationships are more important than the work. If you dont recognise this you will become less important than both.

Gossip is important because direct approaches and any conflict do not sit well with Thais due to p-nong system among other things. But you can use this to your advantage. Demonstrate regular nam jai and understanding of Thai ways, and you will be gossiped about in a very popular way and loyalty, output and work will improve. Dont fight it, exploit it.

Above

Again comes down to relationships. You probably have no idea what went wrong but they can tell you exactly, except they never will dare.

I know the op didnt post this himself it was compiled from friends, just convenient to use "you" when replying.

very good observations, and I would daresay applies to a lot more places than just Thailand.

Reading leadership material, there aren't too many books or leaders that immediately start with, we failed, because i'm a great leader, but all the people and resources i got were junk.

Even from junk, you can make stuff succesfully - the LA water system is proof of that (and the LA reality TV industry is another).

Also, Thai's with western education think they are elite (we know they are not). When it comes to a Thai with western education without professional work experience in western country, I'd prefer to hire and work with a Thai educated anyday.

I've known quite a few that have undergraduate and graduate degrees from studying in American and Australian universities and not only can they barely speak or understand english, they often have very little understanding in their own major. Notably course failures by international students are met with a make up exam which is inevetibly easier. If that fails, sit the exam again and again until they pass. Thai s with western universities degrees need to be very cautious of their lack of abilities.

very good observations, and I would daresay applies to a lot more places than just Thailand.

Reading leadership material, there aren't too many books or leaders that immediately start with, we failed, because i'm a great leader, but all the people and resources i got were junk.

Even from junk, you can make stuff succesfully - the LA water system is proof of that (and the LA reality TV industry is another).

Yes good post by Oxfordwill.

One seasoned person suggested to me when there is a problem to always ask "what happened?" not "why did this happen?". It's a safer way to talk about things.

I had a new admin for my team once. I was asking everyone on the team how she was doing to help coach her to on areas to improve. Everyone was telling me that the admin was OK.

Then one young woman after saying everything is OK said to me "you know sometimes people don't want to say anything bad about another person".

"Really?" I asked, "so you might have problems with her and not say anything?"

She simply smiled. Then I understood if I wanted quality feedback, ideas, the truth about what was going on; I was going to have to change the way I asked the questions and work to build relationships that were safe to communicate. It didn't happen overnight but it did happen.

if you want a happy productive Thai office.

Have a mirror on each desk for checking hair and make up while using msn messenger or sms texting

Have a food seller situated nearby for the emergency snacks which need to be eaten at regular interval to maintain energy levels

Have an assortment of cute slippers with cartoon characters near the door for walking about the office

Don't forget the TV for showing lots of soap operas in the afternoon to help with afternoon tiredness

Your magic glass which will be filled with water every few minutes - no need to take this with you as it will follow you to the local night club where water is exchanged for whiskey.. the magic never empty glass....

I like Thai style in offices layed back and productive when required and lots of unpaid overtime to finish jobs on time....

I worked as a project manager for 2 years some time back. It was one of the most frustrating times in my professional career.

THE most frustrating aspect that I found was the almost complete inability to make a finite decision.

They are so afraid of making the wrong one; they will do anything to avoid this. I think it comes from a culture of "if they make a mistake, they are personally libel for that mistake.

Have you ever seen how the 7/11 girl will count out your change 2 or 3 times? That’s because she will be libel for any shortfall in the till. This culture is spread right through the Thai workforce and causes incredible delays in production.

A simple example of what I mean is;

One time several trades were being held up for weeks by the slow progress of laying floor tiles in concourse 2. When I investigated I found out that every single tile was counted 2 or 3 times before it went out of the factory onto the truck. Then they are counted again when they are unloaded. They are then counted again when they are distributed to the site shed and then again when they are distributed to the tile layers. Not only are they counted they are checked for any chips or cracks. When they finally get to the trades men they handle them like they are blocks of gold and if any are chipped or cracked when they are laid, they will pay from their wages.

Can you imagine the delays this would cause? This is the same right throughout the construction process. It is the main reason construction time lines get drawn out to obscene proportions.

And the really weird thing is, they cannot see anything wrong with this!

Another thing they tend to do is lie, ALL THE TIME. I have sat in countless meetings and they will look you right in the eye and tell you porkies about completion times, progress etc and if you challenge them they act like you just insulted their Mum!

Anyone who has worked in Thai construction will know what I am talking about. :)

i believe the word you are looking for is liable. Libel is a written form of defamation.

i worked for years in a bangkok software house with a predominantly thai work force, and from that have had contact with thais in the legal, design, banking and healthcare sectors. very little i have seen justifes most of the comments here.

then again, the only person i have worked with getting 8000 or so baht a month was the office maid.

what type of worker are we discussing here, manual laborers, professionals or all thais in general?

Edited by t.s

go forth and multiply, this is a very polite way to say <deleted>.. off! go back home and be unhappy wherever you want but not here, nobody is keeping you here, we are here only guests!

No, I am not a , " Guest"

I have a legal visa and Thailand , if it wants its citizens to be able to reside in other countries, must provide like-wise.

I also pay taxes and employ 4 Thais

Do you charge " Guests" taxes when they stay in your home ?

Truth is, I often feel as if I'm merely tolerated for my financial/ business contributions and actually, not welcome at all.

you are correct you are not a guest, you are an alien with a visa

.........who pays taxes, 'invested' (wow, 4 thai employees!) and has a distorted perspective of entitlement

as to being tolerated because of money - you don't mention what other 'good' you have brought with you so why else would you be tolerated?

You don't "invest" in Thailand, you make a donation.

That's right!

All the way from the refugee ex-pat to the biggest of corporations.

Hutchinson Telecom (Orange), I think Norwich Union, these got hit big time.

Having project managed houses here I agree with everything on the list. And not just myself, all my Thai friends agree with everything on the list also.

I do find the comments of 'the Thai apologists' a form of 'inverted' rascism, quite as obnoxious as inverted snobism. No rationale.