Foreigners Opinions On Thai Working Culture

livinthailandos

farang = white - if people know more then kon ungrit, kon yuroman, etc etc

kon jeen/ a few more derogatory = Chinese

kaek kao = arab

etc

Why do so many farang not understand why they are called farang?

"Farang" comes from Francais/France

Many words the Thais use are distorted French phonetic that is why:

Kanom Pung (bread) = Pain (Kanom is sweet or anything rather than main dist of rice. In Lao language they simple call Pung). More similar to bread.

Ang-grit = Anglais

Yer-raman = Allemagne

Mean white guy include Hispanic. Now, we have so many forign nationalities so sometime Farang is casually extended to westerner in general.

Kaek Kao = Yes, White Kaek, Arub, Israeli, Tukish the pale Kaek

Kaek = South Asian and include Muslim Southeast Asians.

These term also extend to the BEING of that person concern. You may heard:

"This boy looks Farang, he had been in to the US for 10 years." The being of Farang in manner, fashion not the real bodily look of course.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go forth and multiply, this is a very polite way to say <deleted>.. off! go back home and be unhappy wherever you want but not here, nobody is keeping you here, we are here only guests!

No, I am not a , " Guest"

I have a legal visa and Thailand , if it wants its citizens to be able to reside in other countries, must provide like-wise.

I also pay taxes and employ 4 Thais

Do you charge " Guests" taxes when they stay in your home ?

Truth is, I often feel as if I'm merely tolerated for my financial/ business contributions and actually, not welcome at all.

I deeply regret investing in Thailand, and I would warn off any future investors.

you are correct you are not a guest, you are an alien with a visa

.........who pays taxes, 'invested' (wow, 4 thai employees!) and has a distorted perspective of entitlement

as to being tolerated because of money - you don't mention what other 'good' you have brought with you so why else would you be tolerated?

Thread is Foreign opinions on Thai working culture .

Just curious , how many workers do you employ?

Yes, Thai apologists get snippy when faced with subjective opinion that differ from their own.

"you don't mention what other 'good' you have brought with you so why else would you be tolerated?"

This is rather ridiculous and is simply argumentative, having no valid point.

What " Good " did I bring?

Do you mean patronising prostitutes or marrying disadvantaged, desparate women from Isaan?

It seems that is what's expected of foreigners from the west.

And correct, I am an "Alien" with a visa and as such, should enjoys the same rights as Thais.

I"ll say it again;

I find Thais ( I've employed 12 throughout almost 4 years ) to be lazy and their work ethic seriously deficient. ( Actually, all their ethics )

( I pay 30 % more than my Thai competitor.)

I REGRET moving to and opening a business here and I will be leaving.

And now 4 employees ( CUE: sarcastic," WOW" ) will now have to seek other employment.

I also will be warning off any prospective visitors and / or expats from Thailand.

Ye,s I am just one person, but I'd bet there are many many more doing the same and it does all add up.

Look at all the negative press of late, Thailand deserves every bit of it too.

Thailand is now reaping what it has sown, which is badly treating foreigners in every aspect and all segments are going to suffer needlessly for it.

Just wait until next year.

Get out now, why the getting is- well not good , but this is the time to do it .

Leave the Thai lovers here, we all know why they love it and it paints all westerners in a bad light-I'm embarrassed for them.

Sounds to me like you're blaming others for your own lack of management skills. In 4 years, you employ 12 'lazy good for nothing Thai workers" to the point of your company collapsed without doing anything about it? Within a few months didn't you recognized their abilities, talent or work ethics? If failed to recognized those basic traits within the first few months, than blame your self for not managing them or your company properly.

Seems to me that you are blaming everyone else for your demised. With lack of basic management skills, I doubt your business will be successful in other countries either.

That's why I'm in Korea and never looked back. Here they have goals of being doctors and lawyers and that means they gotta speak good English and they want to travel. Thais don't wanna leave Thailand.

"never looked back" it's more like never fully left.

You left Thailand, never looked back, but yet you are on "Thaivisa" website reminiscing about the bad Thailand. There must be something about this place to make you continually looking back.

Edited by Misplaced

• 4 weeks later...

d. not leaving a bar customer alone (eg not resisting the temptation to refill a glass, or chatting away) when it is clear the customer wants to be left alone

I find this very anoying to. Also when I'm eating at a restaurant, I prefer they take away when we are finished, not keep grabbing a plate, when i finished one. I once went to a coffee shop ( I believe Black Canyon Coffee) in Central World, ( Not complaining about Starbucks ) very small shop, but almost more staff then customers :) ! I couldn't relax with all this staff around me, my girl didn't get why.

Reading that original post, it makes me wonder why the Western world is a right fuc_kin' mess and Thailand is doing ok.

Why do you think that is chaps ? :)

Do you guys honestly believe that westerners have made everything work out well...... ? :D:D

Dream on chaps, the west is in a mess, you know it, I know it.

<deleted>, get a grip boys, the days of the white man being oh so fuc_kin' right are long gone, the white man has fukced up his own corner of the globe very nicely thankyou very much, at least give the Thais a chance to do the same. Then maybe you can look at them as equals!

Ha Ha, The shit is on its way to Asia. only a question of time.

Yep the "shit" has hit while that 'drunk mates,chaps' was writing his irresponsible msg...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Economy...ce-t272725.html

I firmly believe if the government would clean up its corruptions that's penetrated all the way down to the lower class or eschelon then probably things could become a bit more responsible and wouldn't be able to 'get away' with that bad working habits... but as long as the government sucks... the people follow...

I'm out of there... I was very glad to go... Thailand SUCKS at the moment.