150 Baht Atm Fee

Here's how I fixed the new ATM fee problem. After sending my girl friend money with a master card debit card I gave her she said she was still getting charged the 150 baht fee even at the K bank I told her to go to. So I went all the way back to Thailand and she was right. All the ATMs have the fees now. So what I did was leave Thailand again.

SIMPLE! Now I don't get charged on my Debit card 150B and she doesn't get charged 150B for the money that I send to her on one of my debit cards because I don't send her any money any more because I BROKE UP WITH HER. Now Thailand doesn't get any ATM fees from me. In fact Thailand doesn't get any any money from me at all. I left! Try it . it works. How ever the new country I am in will of course monkey see monkey do this new ATM fee policy most likely. - along with anyway and all ways possible to hold people up - block them from things they need to live their daily lives - and figuring out how to charge money or fees for

anything they possibly can. It's rapidly becoming about the only lucrative profesion left on this planet.

So why I really wrote this reply is I want to know is if there's anybody out there that knows of a list of or any other countries that are still more backward and haven't advanced yet into this ever evolving state of amusement park fees and fines. Keep in mind that technology is ever increasing globally so what I'm working on is trying figure out other countries that are about as terminologically advanced as Thailand WAS a few years back. Sort of like riding a "Wave" of technology around the world that will peter out and die somewhere in the middle of Africa or South America in the coming decades.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how I fixed the new ATM fee problem. After sending my girl friend money with a master card debit card I gave her she said she was still getting charged the 150 baht fee even at the K bank I told her to go to. So I went all the way back to Thailand and she was right. All the ATMs have the fees now. So what I did was leave Thailand again.

SIMPLE! Now I don't get charged on my Debit card 150B and she doesn't get charged 150B for the money that I send to her on one of my debit cards because I don't send her any money any more because I BROKE UP WITH HER. Now Thailand doesn't get any ATM fees from me. In fact Thailand doesn't get any any money from me at all. I left! Try it . it works. How ever the new country I am in will of course monkey see monkey do this new ATM fee policy most likely. - along with anyway and all ways possible to hold people up - block them from things they need to live their daily lives - and figuring out how to charge money or fees for

anything they possibly can. It's rapidly becoming about the only lucrative profesion left on this planet.

So why I really wrote this reply is I want to know is if there's anybody out there that knows of a list of or any other countries that are still more backward and haven't advanced yet into this ever evolving state of amusement park fees and fines. Keep in mind that technology is ever increasing globally so what I'm working on is trying figure out other countries that are about as terminologically advanced as Thailand WAS a few years back. Sort of like riding a "Wave" of technology around the world that will peter out and die somewhere in the middle of Africa or South America in the coming decades.

Good for you, dump the bitch....... save money on ATM fees...... and I don't blame you at all............ I have heard alot of comparisons made to Costa Rica (don't know first hand - but heard a lot of Americans like it there) ....... Good luck in the hunt and if you learn more about new places - let me know..................

"All the ATMs have the fees now. So what I did was leave Thailand again. Now I don't get charged on my Debit card 150B..."

What a terrific plan! Your GF is in Thailand, and you're not. Brilliant!

You missed the part of him dumping his girlfriend...

In all seriousness, there are still a few banks not charging. So, it's not impossible to avoid, rather just an inconvenience.

• 4 months later...
:) To all you guys; 150bahts is one thing (it would go a long way to buying my stepsons new school uniform!!we're not all holiday makers!!); Has anybody also noticed; they are now limiting the ammount you can withdraw. Verified by my UK bank(Nationwide); my daily maximum withdrawal is £300 ie about 16,000bahts. No ATM I have visited since the introduction of the 150bahts fee will let me withdraw more than 10,000bhts. A small matter; but it means the buggers are really maximising their options to screw us for more.Anybody solved that one?

:) To all you guys; 150bahts is one thing (it would go a long way to buying my stepsons new school uniform!!we're not all holiday makers!!); Has anybody also noticed; they are now limiting the ammount you can withdraw. Verified by my UK bank(Nationwide); my daily maximum withdrawal is £300 ie about 16,000bahts. No ATM I have visited since the introduction of the 150bahts fee will let me withdraw more than 10,000bhts. A small matter; but it means the buggers are really maximising their options to screw us for more.Anybody solved that one?

I've been using the yellow Bank of Ayutthaya machines which have been giving free withdrawals for a few weeks now on UK Nationwide Visa/debit cards. I used the one at Tuk Com yesterday and have also had free withdrawals from the machines at the Festival Centre and Tesco Lotus just recently.

• 4 months later...

After doing a review of ATM fees across the globe, it is the conclusion that Thailand are the only ones to be very extent in fees. For non customer usage the fees are basically robbing the customer. No matter what ATM you use you get charged.

United Kingdom

In the UK you only get charged ATM fees if you use a non branded ATM machine, ie: White Label OEM machine usually found in Newsagents and some small shops. Fees average around £1 - £1.50 = 47 -75 baht.

Australia

In australia you get charged AUS$2 - 57 baht, if you use a ATM if you are not a customer, some foreign banks have alliances, in which case you don't get charged.

Iran

There are no charges for using the ATM network in Iran, only if you transfer money between 2 accounts.

Canada

In Canada you get charged CAD$ 1.50 - 48 baht for using the Interac White Label Network.

Austria

All ATM fees are free.

Finland

All ATM fees are free with Finnish bank cards, Visa Electrons and ATM's going through the OTTO network, a few white label companies have formed charging small fees for using their ATMs in shops.

Germany

In Germany their are five seperate networks, with only one being free. The others charge fees for withdrawals, no charge details disclosed in report.

Ireland

The Financial Regulator forbids ATM fees in Ireland.

Netherlands

ATM withdrawals in the Netherlands are free. But you can only draw cash at another bank's ATM once a day, and there is a lower limit.

Portugal

All Multibanco withdrawals and payments in Portugal are free. Recent European Union directives allowed merchants and banks charge the costumers for transactions, but the governement aproved a law that forbids charging any kind of fees.

Spain

Banks that are not associated with the user's bank will usually charge a fee of €0.50 - 20 baht per withdrawal of cash from the machine. Other services such as top-up of mobile phones are usually free.

Hong Kong

There are three ATM networks in Hong Kong: ETC (HSBC and Hang Seng Bank only) JETCO (all remaining banks) and AEON. ATM use is free of charge, except when a card is used outside of its respective home network. When a card is used outside the home network, HKD$30 - 120 Baht is paid for service charge.

Switzeland

The usual fee for a withdrawal at a "foreign" bank's ATM is CHF 2 - 58 Baht. All Swiss banks hand out Maestro cards to their customers, so that any ATM can be used.

As you can see from the sample that Thailand's fees are the worst in world. As most ATM networks in south east Asia only charge around $0.50 for a foreign ATM withdrawal, besides Hong Kong.

We are not talking about what your bank charge you, as these fees are inposed from your bank. The fees we are talking about are from the owners of the actual ATM you use.

No fees

If you don't want to incur ATM withdrawal fees, then you can use a Visa or Mastercard branded card to take cash out from the bank, which I do on a monthly basis, then deposit it into a thai account. But it is better to use a foreign bank in Bangkok to this, as the Thai banks impose their merchant fees on you, which is illegal under the merchant terms and conditions for Visa International.

First of all every bank in Thailand with the exception of Aeon, (and I'm not 100% sure about them either) charge the 150 Baht fee. The catch is it doesn't show up on your foreign bank account as a fee. It's rolled right into the exchange rate.

Barry

First of all every bank in Thailand with the exception of Aeon, (and I'm not 100% sure about them either) charge the 150 Baht fee. The catch is it doesn't show up on your foreign bank account as a fee. It's rolled right into the exchange rate.

Barry

In January and February I used my Fidelity ATM card at Bangkok Bank and SCB ATMs. I received a refund of the ATM fees without having to contact Fidelity, so they seem to have been coded in some form that enabled Fidelity to refund them. On the trip before that, the one withdrawal with a fee was not refunded automatically.

I'm one of the lucky few who still doesn't pay fees on my local branch of ******* bank, all other ATM's from this bank have charged me, my local one doesn't.

The exchange rate is shown in my halifax online banking so it's impossible for ******* bank to work the fee into my withdrawal/exchange rate as barryofthailand mentioned

Good luck!

(sorry for the boast! I just want people to know that it's still possible to dodge the fees if you persevere with what ATM you use, not what bank)

Well, here is my truth. I made two ATM withdrawal transactions in the past week using a K Bank machine and was not charged anything. My wife tells me they have the best service she has encountered as well. So.... I am thinking of moving my assets to them if they keep up the free overseas withdrawal service. Free Enterprise..... use it!

Spot on!

A mass move to K Bank by thousands of expats will set people thinking.

krung thai bank charge me 200 baht a year to use my atm card,hey thanks a lot,its a bloody joke.land of smiles my foot.

I've recently used my NW Visa card in both Aeon and Bank of Ayutthaya, and both were apparently fee free . On the last Aeon transaction in April I got 48.9 and a few days earlier with Ayutthaya I got 48.6, so it doesnt look as though a fee was rolled into the exchange rate via DCC. Thus it looks like there are still at least two options. The problem wiith Aeon is that I find that the ATM only pays out about once in every three tries ('Contact your card issuer'), so it isn't very reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using my (German issued) Visa card to withdraw cash at Ayudhya ATMs with no fee.

My colleague tried the same with his (USA issued) Visa and there was the THB150 fee.

Same ATM, minutes apart. So I guess it depends on the card, not only the bank or ATM.

The mysteries of Thailand ...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to the Bank of Ayuttaya today and there are now charging a 150baht fee for withdrawals using UK Nationwide Flex card.

Anyone else confirm this?

Edited by Murf

I have been to the Bank of Ayuttaya today and there are now charging a 150baht fee for withdrawals using UK Nationwide Flex card.

Confirmed in Pattaya... AEON are still fee free

Confirm 150B charge at Chao Fa East Branch Phuket - used this one lots of times before without charge but now get the warning screen, using UK Nationwide Visa Debit (Flexaccount).

Also tried at Kbank (where I hold an account) and still 150B as I have experienced in the past.

Edited by alphason

UK EXPATS USING THE NATIONWIDE CASH CARD TAKE NOTE IF YOU HAVE NOT YET BEEN MADE AWARE.

My link

NOTE ! anyone using the Nationwide cash card (cirrus card) will find a new card being issued to their registered address from 1st June 2010 to September 2010 now called the cash card plus, the sad news is that the cash card plus cannot be used in ATM's abroad not even Europe,but can now be used to purchase items.

So the only card that was truly free of charges is to be no more.

Note this does not affect the Flexaccount debit card which as charged a competitive 1% fee for some time now.

Most banks in the UK charge at least 2.5% to 5% commission plus the merchant fee ie visa m/c, only Nationwide is 1% all in, Abbey is free with a special account that includes having a mortgage & i think a minimum balance of £1000.

The post office credit card is commission free but the exchange rate is bad to make up for this.

Take note only the Nationwide offer the best rate's but for how much longer who knows as i hear their profits have halved.

Halifax online swift transfer is another good option especially if you transfer at least min £1000 each time,swift fee £9.50 equivalent to 3 x 150bt atm withdrawals with no need to go in branch compared to Nationwide fee of £20 done by post or in branch only.

The charge for say Bangkok bank to convert your Sterling to Thai Baht is 200bt min to 500bt max i think the rate they use is 0.25% max (500bt) so at the moment around £1700 could be sent with only a 200bt fee plus £9.50, on these figures it only saves around 150/250 baht compared to foreign ATM card withdrawals but the more you send in one go the more you start to save, as long as you don't then go using other Thai bank or out of province ATM's you will get your withdrawals free from your Thai bank.