Wild Animal Rescue

exrockstar

Does anyone know anything about the Chiang Rai Wildlife Rescue & Breeding Project?

When I last went to the Ruam Mitr Elephant Camp, the shop just at the turn off from the road down to the river had a small cage with a large python inside. I believe it is illegal to keep wild animals in Thailand unless you have a licence, which is very hard to get. I was told some time ago that the above project rescues wild animals like gibbons. Apparently some snakes are protected, some are not. I would like to rescue this snake if possible, as it was being treated like some sort of toy, you know the idea, photos with the tourists. I find this offensive and wrong and it's probably illegal. I heard about this project from the lady who used to run the Wildlife Animal Rescue Foundation, based in Bangkok. I would like to get the contact details for this Project if it is in operation.

Does anyone know anything about the Chiang Rai Wildlife Rescue & Breeding Project?

When I last went to the Ruam Mitr Elephant Camp, the shop just at the turn off from the road down to the river had a small cage with a large python inside. I believe it is illegal to keep wild animals in Thailand unless you have a licence, which is very hard to get. I was told some time ago that the above project rescues wild animals like gibbons. Apparently some snakes are protected, some are not. I would like to rescue this snake if possible, as it was being treated like some sort of toy, you know the idea, photos with the tourists. I find this offensive and wrong and it's probably illegal. I heard about this project from the lady who used to run the Wildlife Animal Rescue Foundation, based in Bangkok. I would like to get the contact details for this Project if it is in operation.

So you don't want people to see a big, live, Burmese python cuz it is offensive to you-get a life. What next, you going to try and close all the zoo's in Thailand??

I don't personally like zoos.

But I understand some people's fascination with wild animals, and their desire to see same.

If I want to see wild animals (and I have seen many) in their natural habitat, I take a walk in the jungle, veldt or forest.

I don't think my personal opinion will prevail in shutting down wild animal exhibits.

But I hope, that as Thailand becomes more developed and aware, that these business endeavors do more to foster conservation and habitat preservation.

And I'm hopeful that some existing operations here do just that.

My 25 satang.

I have no problem with zoos. The operators are required to have a licence and they have to keep to certain standards to ensure the welfare of the animals. They provide an important service in education and many people enjoy them.

The issue here is an animal being kept, probably illegally, in an enclosure which is too small.

You wont see many wild animals in the jungle around Chiang Rai, most of them have been hunted out. The biggest mammals I have seen here in recent years, outside the national parks, were mongoose.

You know those lovely cuddly baby gibbons they have in the bars in Phuket or Pattaya. I guess the tourists dont realise the hunters have to kill the rest of the gibbon family to get the baby. Keeping baby gibbons is definately against the law and the police do have raids and arrest people for this every so often.

Oh and by the way, I have a wonderful life. :)

I have no problem with zoos. The operators are required to have a licence and they have to keep to certain standards to ensure the welfare of the animals. They provide an important service in education and many people enjoy them.

The issue here is an animal being kept, probably illegally, in an enclosure which is too small.

You wont see many wild animals in the jungle around Chiang Rai, most of them have been hunted out. The biggest mammals I have seen here in recent years, outside the national parks, were mongoose.

You know those lovely cuddly baby gibbons they have in the bars in Phuket or Pattaya. I guess the tourists dont realise the hunters have to kill the rest of the gibbon family to get the baby. Keeping baby gibbons is definately against the law and the police do have raids and arrest people for this every so often.

Oh and by the way, I have a wonderful life. :)

U say this family is probably doing this "illegally-do u have evidence of that, i dont even think u need a licence for one snake. I am sure they are paying the local athourities for the right to do this-let it be.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, Mick & Dowroong are great friends of ours and we support them in the Wetlands project. I have asked Dowroong the question, but she hasn't found anything yet. I've also asked some other friends in Mae Chan.

No I don't have evidence that the snake is being kept illegally. However, about a year and a half ago, I read an article in the Chiang Mai Mail about a raid on the elephant camp when they did have gibbons & fishing cats in cages there. The report said that someone at the camp was arrested over this. The founder of the WARF mentioned to me that some snakes are protected, but she did not know which. I'll have to try and find out which..... that's why I was after the address of the Project mentioned in my original post. It may be that you don't need a licence for one snake of a certain species. I dont want to stir things up unnecessarily, but would just like to get the facts...... always a difficult thing in this country. If it was legal, they wouldn't need to pay the local authorities.

The founder of the WARF mentioned to me that some snakes are protected

out of the 3 species of Python found in Thailand, only the 'Burmese Python' is described as "near threatened"

and no snake species is included in the 15 designated reserved animal species as defined by the Wild Animal Reservation and Protection Act of BE 2535 of Thailand

you can see the 15 species here

interesting that White-eyed River Martin is on the list, as its widely believed to be extinct already.. was last seen nearly 30yrs ago (i've been to Beung Boraphet searching, as yet to no avail..) :)

The founder of the WARF mentioned to me that some snakes are protected

out of the 3 species of Python found in Thailand, only the 'Burmese Python' is described as "near threatened"

and no snake species is included in the 15 designated reserved animal species as defined by the Wild Animal Reservation and Protection Act of BE 2535 of Thailand

you can see the 15 species here

interesting that White-eyed River Martin is on the list, as its widely believed to be extinct already.. was last seen nearly 30yrs ago (i've been to Beung Boraphet searching, as yet to no avail..) :)

If the Burmese Python is "near threatened" , then someone should go to Florida to help catch them there, and bring them back here. http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northame...e/art24101.html

^

if they weren't repeatedly taken from the wild & shipped over there in the first place, only to escape or be released by some idiot who couldn't handle it when it got too big.. then there'd be no need to go.. :)

its precisely this capture & trade in exoctic species that contributes heavily to their conservation status.. sadly most protection enforcement doesn't seem to come into effect til its too late & they are on the brink..

it appears to be reactive more than proactive conservation in most cases..

so the 'rescue & rehab of the large snake in the tiny cage just down your soi' gets my support.. chok dee exrockstar.

I don't personally like zoos.

My 25 satang.

I'll see your 25 satang and raise you 25!

I don't like zoos either .. but if society wants to imprison animals, they should do it "open zoo" style rather than using cages.

And maybe someone should rescue that elephant .. they don't belong in trees.:)

Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand. http://www.wfft.org/ is who you are looking for, Petchaburi Province.

They will be sure to help you rescue the poor snake who is a threatened species no doubt and will probably die in captivity if the current fools dont know anything about how to keep it.

Goodluck with your rescue!

Edited by Ibizabreeze

Thanks for the replies and info.

the Wild Animal Reservation and Protection Act of BE 2535 of Thailand

As the protection act mentioned in wikipedia is 17 years old, I would like to think there is a more up to date law or amendment.

I have written to WFFT and await an answer. They clearly do very good work, but I'm not sure how much they can help in the north here. I'll post an update when I get a reply.