Private Thai Lessons In Chiang Mai

wedders

I had a few lessons a year back but was too lazy to do the revision/homework. I'm thinking private tuition - and want to make some real progress over the next six months or so.

In CM, does anyone know any good teachers for private tuition? If so, what's the going rate? I paid 300 baht an hour before.

(At least middle-aged and ugly would be a plus, my wife was seriously displeased with the last one, another major reason why the lessons came to a premature halt :)...)

I had a few lessons a year back but was too lazy to do the revision/homework. I'm thinking private tuition - and want to make some real progress over the next six months or so.

In CM, does anyone know any good teachers for private tuition? If so, what's the going rate? I paid 300 baht an hour before.

(At least middle-aged and ugly would be a plus, my wife was seriously displeased with the last one, another major reason why the lessons came to a premature halt :)...)

300 would be the rate for a very qualified teacher with degree and several years experience.

I'd say that 300 baht is average to slightly on the low side. I've tried many teachers and ones that are actually good usually start at 300-400 baht per hour.

If you are looking for someone and live in the Sansai/Mae Jo area, I can recommend a lady that I use.

I'd say that 300 baht is average to slightly on the low side. I've tried many teachers and ones that are actually good usually start at 300-400 baht per hour.

If you are looking for someone and live in the Sansai/Mae Jo area, I can recommend a lady that I use.

Thanks but I'm south of the moat, not that far from the Airport Plaza, Sri Ping Muang soi 3.

I'm paying 150/hour to an excellent teacher with a university degree in teaching.

She comes to my place twice a week (in Chiangmai).

Each lesson two hours -- my decision -- but her normal lessons are one hour.

I found one hour is not enough: just get warmed up and the hour is over.

She has studied English from primary school through university, so her ability to translate and explain is very good.

She's well-prepared, patient, and thorough.

I'm the sort of student who sometimes needs to review the same word 10 times, before it sinks in.

Never any hint of irritation from her.

On the downside, she's not confident about her spoken English, so often reverts to Thai when answering my questions.

Then I just interrupt and say (with a smile), "Please talk to me in English."

Interrupting is not polite, but I'm paying for the lesson.

Also, her pronunciation is not as strong as I would like, because her voice is soft.

That soft voice is typical of polite Thai women when talking with men who are old and rich.

So I often tilt my head and move my one good ear closer to hear her pronunciation better.

She laughs gently, but then she does repeat the word so I can hear it more clearly.

One strong point in her teaching, is she started with Thai script; none of the transliteration which makes learning so difficult.

She is middle forties, and her looks would not be threatening to anyone's wife.

If interested, contact me in private message.

If really interested, you are welcome to sit in on one of my private lessons, and judge for yourself.

Disclaimer: I get no commission or any other consideration for recommending this teacher.

In fact, I am worried that if she gets too many other students, she may raise her rates to the 300-400 per hour mentioned above.

-- Oneman

I've tried many teachers and ones that are actually good usually start at 300-400 baht per hour.

:)

I've had a Thai tutor for the last 4 years who is very good. She speaks English well and has had a lot of experience teaching Thai. She graduated from college last year and has been tutoring several hours a day since then. Her rate is 250 bt/ hour. If you are interested, I'll give you her contact information.