National Service For A Dual National Not Living On Thailand

Ok this is long winded but let me try:

Son is both a citizen of Thailand and Britain, holding birth cert and passport of each, with full citizen rights of both countries.

He currently lives in Singapore on a dependant pass but by the time he is old enough for National Service will potentially be a permanent residence of Singapore with a permanent address in Singapore.

Singapore also has national service which he would be eligible for.

So what about Thailand? We must be able to get him out of at least one without giving up any citizenship or residence rights, correct?

And if he went to live/study in the UK he could be exempt from both or neither?? Understand most countries amend the start date if you are in full-time education? Is there a time limit on this? Just wondering....

sorry, in a bit of a rush, but posted on this before so best to start there. But some ideas:

If he is on the house book, he may get call up papers. But if he can prove that he can't attend (eg living overseas) then this may be enough to get an exemption to 'come back next year'.

If he is in full time education (assuming he gets called up) he can defer to the end of his univeristy.

Having read the rules before, it is possible to be exempted having done an equivelant level of military training elsewhere. It is in the rule book, but I'm not sure how to prove that one!!!

Finally, if he doesn't report till after 30, then he is in the free and clear. All males who turn up after 30 years of age automatically get exempted. As a dual OZ/Thai dual national, thats how I did it.

He is still on a blue book for our house in Phuket, but he would have a PR stamp in his passport for Singapore. I guess we should take him out the book which I presume would be possible given that he has a PR status in Singapore, so take him out the book without putting him in another one, never asked abou that before so if a Thai is going to live permanent abroad and has some document/visa as proof then they can come out a blue book fairly easy, right?

Then he can do his national service in Singapore and I presume that he would have some kindof record of this which he could present in Thailand for further exemption.

So confusing what is the correct answer without upsetting or losing status in either country. I am sure there is legally a way to do it correctly but all the websites say is that you are liable for service.....

I must add, I was never was on the house book until I turned 29. Born outside of tahialnd land lived out for most of the time.

Passport etc was easy enough to renew in OZ and I travelled to thailand on that.

Got fined 100 baht for turning up late. Highest fine was 400 baht!

Why would a Foreign National be liable for Military Service in Singapore, regardless of his immigration status?

Surely that only applies to Singaporean citizens?

Patrick

I thought the same thing. But this webpage says that under certain conditions a permanent resident is obligated to perform national service.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151...150#eligibility

I think that the Thai draft can be deferred if he is living outside of the country.

I came across a form titled "LEGALIZATION PETITION" on the LA consulate website and one of the check boxes is for "POSPONEMENT OF DRAFT REGISTRATION". The following webpage is mostly in Thai but it might provide some insight into doing this. http://www.thai-la.net/legalize/legalize-index.htm

Also contacting the embassy in Singapore might help.

Your son does not have to register until he is 18 and the most recent draw was for 21 year olds in the district where I live. So you may have plenty of time to take care of it.

As far as avoiding it by having military training I beleive that would have to be done here. My stepson did military training with the Navy while he was in high school and university. That kept him from being called for the draft but he is still in a reserve force and could be called up if there was an emergency.

Why would a Foreign National be liable for Military Service in Singapore, regardless of his immigration status?

Surely that only applies to Singaporean citizens?

Patrick

Male children born to PR's who also have PR status are required for Service in Singapore, not just citizens.