Thailand General Election Thread 2005

george

Come on , is anybody SURPRISED he won- TIT

There was never a shadow of a doubt he would win-TIT

Apart from the fact I could not buy any beer last night or today until six o'clock I could not give a hoot. The Oposition has nothing to offer in my opinion, and maybee one day if he gets to big for his boots there maybee another Military coop, but as half his family have government posts it is hardly likely- if you dont like it LEAVE. Coz nothin aint gonna change here for the better.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a job in Thailand?
I had 3 jobs while I was there. I've been in Korea for the last 14 months or so. I left due to the low wages in Thailand and because I anticipated a turn for the worse when the (the) 'new' Immigration rules came into effect requiring 400,000 baht in the bank for a simple O-Visa (that those with a Thai spouse of kids can get).

[And no, I didn't have the money at the time. And it was proving difficult to even work legally (i.e. a Work Permit), and frankly speaking, I was pissed off by the across the board Immigration Fee hikes...

How did you meet your wife? What was your wife's profession before you two met?

I met my wife in a restaurant in Chiang Mai (Riverside) where she was visiting family. (She's from Isaan). Her family, almost across the board now (In Chiang Mai, especially), is marrying farang. Her 4 female cousins have all married Germans...

And she had no profession, per se. She was too young at the time. I had no profession either. I was also quite young (22 and 24).

Married 7 years in May. :o

You don't have to answer and I am sure you are the exception but the majority of expats will clearly show they do not have a legitimate reason for being here after answering those 3 questions 

I have no problem answering. And if I married a whore I'd still have no problem answering (as I suspect that's what you're getting at with your questions).

And I would reject out of hand any insinuation that those who marry whores have any less right to reside in Thailand. Regardless of where you met your wife, if you are married, you have a legitimate reason to be in Thailand.

If you are a teacher (or otherwise employed), you have a legitimate reason for being in Thailand.

And if you are just visiting Thailand and travelling around, or even just lollygagging about (spending money), and screwing whores, you would still have a 'legitimate' reason for being in Thailand.

If Thais can do it, why shouldn't farangs? :D

And let's not be overly sanctimonious about the whole affair; this is Thailand; not some first or even 2nd world country, IMHO.

Which is to say that ThaiPauly's comments were bang on the money.

I probably shouldn't give a shit at this point, (as I can honestly say that most Thais get the country they deserve), but I have a Thai wife and a couple of Thai kids and would like the best for them.

IA

Edited by IsaanAlex

Personally, I don't think a businessman should be running the country, because of too great a possibility of conflicts of interest. (Like when he tried to change the foreign ownership rules for mobile phone companies just after Orange came in with their joint venture with Telecom Asia).

However, just look at Silvio Berlusconi in Italy, and you'd have to say that Silvio is worse. (Changing the law to make false accounting a lesser crime, then getting himself declared immune from prosecution while president so that he effectively doesn't get tried for false accounting because he'll be president until after the statute of limitations is up.)

Italy makes Thailand look squeaky clean in comparison.

But Italy looks bad compared to the governments in the countries around it. Thailand looks good on a democracy basis compared to it's neighbours.

After all, it's the first time an incumbent has won an election here. In Malaysia, when was the last time a party other than UMNO won an election. Indonesia is a mess, where more is spent on defence than health and education combined, Laos and Vietnam are communist, and I don't know where to start on Myanmar. The only place in the area that's getting better seems to be Cambodia, but I would take Thaksin over any of their politicians.

I do think they should get out of trying to micro-manage businesses. Like the farce of the early closing hours for large supermarkets and department stores. (Although it probably got them votes from lots of people working in 7-11s, or at least the owners of them...)

Edited by bkk_mike

re: Orion ... There are a heck of a lot of people here for 'legitimate' reasons (like me) My son was just born 2 weeks ago in Koh Samui. If you think that Thaksin's immagration reform does *anything* to stave off sex tourism you are off your proverbial rocker. I kindly suggest you take off your moral blindfold.

Or not. I recalll someone's signature on this board ... I strongly support everyones right to worship anything they choose - its just a shame so many people choose stupidity....

Regarding Thaksin himself - He's better than the US president. At least *some* of Thaksin's ideas make sense... Bush has a longer history of shady dealings than Thaksin.

Not that I'm a bigsupporter - he's made my life MUCH more difficult here in a few ways. And you just can't trust the guy. But maybe some of the good stuff he says will get done will - the rail link to the new airport, for example.

Heres to hope over experience....

Thaksin Declares Victory in Thailand Elections

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has declared victory in Thailand's election, with what appears to be a massive mandate. Correspondent Scott Bobb has this profile of Mr. Thaksin, whose business acumen and populist policies have made him the most powerful man in Thailand.

It was midday in downtown Bangkok and Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was campaigning for votes in the lunchtime crowd in one of the area's narrow alleys.

Shop owners and office workers pressed around him. Some offered fruit and flowers which he accepted with a bow.

The head of a multi-billion dollar telecommunications empire and reputedly Thailand's richest man, Prime Minister Thaksin explains why, after a tumultuous first term, he wanted to be re-elected.

"I want to eradicate poverty. Poverty is very important. We have to help them [poor people]," he said.

Thaksin Shinawatra was born on July 26, 1949, into a family of silk merchants originally from southern China. He attended school in his native Chang Mai province, in northern Thailand, and graduated from Thailand's Royal Police Academy in 1973. Five years later he received a doctorate in criminal justice from Sam Houston (Texas) University in the United States.

In the mid-1980s, he founded an electronic paging and mobile telephone company that grew into a communications satellites corporation and made him one of the richest men in Thailand.

He entered politics only 10 years ago. He served in a coalition government as foreign minister and deputy-prime minister before founding his own party in 1998, the Thai Rak Thai, or Thais Love Thais, party.

In the 2001 elections, he pledged to end poverty, reduce dependence on exports and restore economic prosperity following the 1997 Asia financial crisis. His party won 295 of the 500 seats in parliament.

After surviving a legal challenge to his victory, Mr. Thaksin set about delivering on some of his promises and launched a subsidized public health program, low-cost loans for rural poor, and village-based micro-industries.

He also lowered interest rates, leading to a consumer-based economic boom, and paid off early billions of dollars worth of international loans left over from the 1997 financial crisis.

However, human rights groups accuse Mr. Thaksin's government of heavy-handed tactics in campaigns to suppress the illegal drug trade and a separatist insurgency in the Muslim-dominated south.

Economists say his populist programs are not sustainable. And civic groups accuse his government of rolling back democratic advances of the 1990s.

An editor with the Nation media group who has had several confrontations with the Thaksin government, Kavi Chongkittavorn, says although Mr. Thaksin has delivered on the economy, he has not shown similar support for democratic freedoms.

"Prime Minister Thaksin has never given his commitment that he will protect democracy, human rights and civil liberties at all," he said.

Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai disagrees saying Mr. Thaksin supports democracy but is driven by a desire to make a difference.

"He's a leader who would like to bring about changes to Thai society. And I think after some years, people will realize more and more his contribution," said Mr. Sathirathai.

The prime minister, who enjoyed his hectic day on the campaign trail last week, told VOA that despite the frustrations, he still likes the job.

"I like it more because I can do a lot for the people. My second term will be much better," said Mr. Thaksin.

Mr. Thaksin has promised during his second term to focus on developing Thailand's infrastructure. He is planning on building multibillion-dollar road, railway and communications projects which, given their size and price tags, guarantee he will continue to be controversial.

--VOA 2005-02-07

Thai Rak Thai endorses EC’s independence

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party said it will closely monitor the vote count and hoped that it would be transparent.

''We are closely monitoring for any flaws and we hope that the Election Commission of Thailand

(EC) will perform its task independently and transparently. We offer them our morale support,'' the TRT Party spokesman, Suranant Vejajiva told TNA.

The party had deployed volunteers to follow the ballot boxes from each polling station and watch the count, the TRT spokesman told a press conference after the polling stations closed.

''I ask candidates of every party who want to complain about the election to be rational. Complaints should not be done for political gain,'' Mr. Suranant urged.

The spokesman dismissed earlier comments made by the Democrat Party leader that this election was even dirtier than the last one four years ago.

''I don't agree. On the contrary, in this election, more people voted. As a result, there has been less fraud than in previous elections before,'' said Mr. Suranant.

Meanwhile, Phumidharm Vejchayachai, Thai Rak Thai Party's deputy secretary, said it was normal for leaders of rival political parties to reject opinion poll predictions which suggested the ruling party had won a landslide victory.

--TNA 2005-02-07

Just read Georges post out to Khun wifie who has now gone bed happy.

My country will be safe,prosperous and happy......thank you (not meaning me ..i was/am just back from the pub)Thai people... we will have him for another 4 years ..........thank u thank u tahk u....good night and sleep well.

If you were then feel free to set me straight and explain how the previous PM was better for Thailand than Taksin

If not the previous was better; at least Chavalit Yongchaiyudh (96-1997) stands out as the greatest for any foreigner with recourses from abroad. The Baht was around 55 to one dollar at that time. :o

If you have a legitimate reason for being here then Taksin has no effect on your life and you would never know the difference if his predecessor was still in power. That is unless you insist on seeing 15 year old girls pimped out by gogo bars.

With a Thai wife and 2 kids, I would think I have a legitimate reason for being in Thailand; at least as legitimate a reason as my wife had for living in Canada.

Do you have a job in Thailand? How did you meet your wife? What was your wife's profession before you two met?

You don't have to answer and I am sure you are the exception but the majority of expats will clearly show they do not have a legitimate reason for being here after answering those 3 questions :D

*** sigh *** :D perhaps it's just the company you keep that has your views so muddled...

:o

The Thai people have spoken loud and clear. Mr. Thaksin should feel humbled. But sadly, I doubt he does, judging from his leadership style during the last four years.

Those of you who haven't read 'Thaksin: The Business of Politics in Thailand' by Pasuk and Baker should read it to get a clearer picture of Thaksin's background and rise to power. How to go from being a policeman to getting lucrative contracts within your own civil service to doing behind the scenes deals to get huge govt monopolies. Always remember few people ever do things that are not in their own interest. That includes issuing Govt concessions for monopolies.

As I said, the Thai people have spoken. It's their country. I too am married to a Thai and we now have two great kids. And so like the others here, I have a vested interest in this country too.

My greatest fear is that cronyism, contempt for rule of law and contempt for supremacy of the constitution, will now be seen as a sign of 'success', what every aspiring entrepreneur..and farmer..needs to learn to become Poo-Yai.

Foreigners can't own property here. They can own a condo, but can't get a loan to do so, even if they have a good job (I do), and in any event the govt has made it more difficult for foreigners to stay in the country, regardless of whether they are married to Thais. In short, we're not wanted here.

Thais have spoken. As a foreigner I will be a bit more humble and respect their choice. But I'll also begin an exit strategy..

why are the people so stupid, the demoncrate only ask for is enought vote to keep Mr.T in check, they know they can't win. but enoght to balance the power for the good of the people, now Mr.T will have full power to corrupt, (in your face) i feel very sadden for the poeple of Thailand. I hope you all good luck

Oh sure, Thailand is a democracy. Take a look around if you truly believe that. Vote buying?! Oh, isn't that the foundation of what democracy is based? I despise Toxin with a passion along with his pumpkinhead logic. One other thing not many make mention of...people have to vote where their house is registered??!! Please, so everyone runs home to the baan naawk from Bangkok, leaving work and their families, so they can cast their vote??!!! PLEASE! Get real, Toxin running the government of Thailand is like Mickey Mouse running  Disneyland. I truly wish I could get the true feelings out of those in the south who Toxin turned down financial aid for.....If I wasn't so entrenched in my life here after nearly 10 years I would leave in a minute until Toxin is GONE......

Like cdnvic said, you could also just ignore him. This is not your country so why care. If you have a legitimate reason for being here then Taksin has no effect on your life and you would never know the difference if his predecessor was still in power. That is unless you insist on seeing 15 year old girls pimped out by gogo bars.

Taksin is no angel, but nor was his predecessor, nor will his successor be.

To think there is any better alternative is just plain ignorant.

I think if his government would not have cracked down on the sex industry so hard 99% of the expats wouldn't have even know the name of Thailand's prime minister. Most of you Taksin haters probably don't even know the name of the previous prime minister :o

btw is that larry?

I agree he should be ignored just as Orion should be.

Orion are you on Ya-Ba, blind or what???

Do you have a job in Thailand? Yes.

How did you meet your wife? At Ramkhamhaeng University. I'm married and have been for nearly five years and we have two kids together.

What was your wife's profession before you two met? Student. She know manages my company and quite well.

---You don't have to answer and I am sure you are the exception but the majority of expats will clearly show they do not have a legitimate reason for being here after answering those 3 questions.

What about you? What are your "legitimate" reasons for being here? Not everybody is here for the sex and not everyone wants to change the country. I don't howver like Toxin and wish he were out of office. Understand or can you see thru the fog???

If you were then feel free to set me straight and explain how the previous PM was better for Thailand than Taksin

If not the previous was better; at least Chavalit Yongchaiyudh (96-1997) stands out as the greatest for any foreigner with recourses from abroad. The Baht was around 55 to one dollar at that time. :o

the previous PM have clean up all the trash, corruption, debt the country has left for him, his term wasn't easy, but many people do not understand why the economy wasn't push forward, because there was nothing to spend only paying debt, TRT took over when everything was clean up, and act like they did all the job

I think Issan Alex should go home, Hes not happy here at all. Of course its not perfect, but if he had been here durring the Army take overs, he might think differently about Mr Taksin. He certainly is the best for Thailand just now, and for us here as ex pats.

If the army ever come back, thats the time for a real Moan IssanAlex

I think Issan Alex should go home, Hes not happy here at all. Of course its not perfect, but if he had been here durring the Army take overs, he might think differently about Mr Taksin.  He certainly is the best for Thailand just now, and for us here as ex pats.

If the army ever come back,  thats the time for a real Moan IssanAlex

I think if you read his post, he's NOT here, for reasons he states. Irregardless, I'm very curious about your comment that T"h"aksin (not to be confused with King Taksin) is the best there is for ex-pats. Why is that?

the previous PM have clean up all the trash, corruption, debt the country has left for him, his term wasn't easy, but many people do not understand why the economy wasn't push forward, because there was nothing to spend only paying debt, TRT took over when everything was clean up, and act like they did all the job

If someone only could teach them that, without handouts of purple notes.

I think Issan Alex should go home, Hes not happy here at all.
I'm not there at the moment but will return to Thailand shortly for round 2.

This time my finances will be healthier and I hope that will provide a buffer of sorts against the discriminatory and ever-shifting requirements that farang have to contend with if they wish to live in Thailand.

If if not happy this time around I will most definitely be gone for good. Not even back for a visit.

Of course its not perfect, but if he had been here durring the Army take overs, he might think differently about Mr Taksin. He certainly is the best for Thailand just now, and for us here as ex pats.

Sad but probably true. I really don't think the Thais deserve any better, but somehow like to think that I do. :o

If the army ever come back, thats the time for a real Moan IssanAlex

I don't need to wait for that to come around again and would never have stayed to raise a family in Thailand through any nonsense like that.

As it stands, Thailand is not a long term venture for me; I got that out of my head when I saw how hopeless the place is.

2-3 years max I suspect so I can get my kids into proper western schooling before they're totally dumbed-down by the environment...

Watching what goes on in Thailand is like watching a train wreck; I suspect the more money I'll make the less I'll care as I see it continuing to go to shit.

Too bad as Thailand really used to be a fun place...

IA

Edited by IsaanAlex

He certainly is the best for Thailand just now, and for us here as ex pats.
:D

[/b][YES

- False statements about bird flue, which have killed how many Thais... :D

- Execution of 2500 drug dealers/addicts without court... :D

- His government under suspicion of not to warn about a possible Tsunami because it could hurt the tourist business (Well it sure hurt now...) :o

Gambling rampant, cheating found but unaccounted for – Poll Watch

BANGKOK: -- Poll Watch, the independent election watchdog, said it has run into difficulties finding evidences of vote-buying.

From mid January until mid-day of the polling date today, Poll Watch said it had received about 150 complaints, more than half of which dealing with vote-buying. The rest had to do with partiality of local government officials, and partial conduct of the Election Commission officials. Nearly a third of those complaints were targeted at the Thai Rak Thai party, said Warin Tiamjamras, the Secretary-General of Poll Watch.

Poll Watch said it is an impossible task to prove vote-buying as tactics had taken on sophisticated variations. For instance, instead of handing out bank notes to lure people to vote for certain candidates as per past practices, there is hardly any money changing hand as people find their pre-paid mobile phone accounts credited. Unaccounted for vote buying also took place in the form of SMS, Poll Watch spokesman Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said.

At the same time, Poll Watch noted serious gambling of polling outcome, especially in Nothaburi province next to Bangkok. People also gamble widely in hotly-contested constituencies such as the northern province of Lampang, or even in the south where punters bet on which candidates from the same party would get more votes.

Despite lack of concrete evidence for vote-buying, Mr Somchai said the public should monitor vote-counting very closely as opportunities for cheating still abound in the process of manual vote count, especially in the wee hours when most people stop caring.

--TNA 2005-02-07

PM pledges to work harder and faster in next four years

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has promised that he will work harder and move faster in gearing up policies and addressing national problems over the next four years.

This is to please the public and to show his gratitude to them for their overwhelming support for his Thai Rak Thai (Party), which showed in its landslide victory in Sunday's general election.

"I have to admit that the TRT's landslide victory in the general election, though please me, put me in a difficult place, realizing that the public have approved and felt confident in my past government, and have a high hope and expectation in my new administration. I'll return their kind support by working harder and move faster in implementing measures and policies, and in addressing national problems to represent my gratitude to them", he said in a special interview with a Modernine TV programme last night.

"I'm now more experienced, and I believe I can do what I have promised to the public", he added.

He said that he believed his election campaigns focusing on what could be really done for the Thai people over the next four years had helped boost his TRT Party's creditability, leading to the election victory.

Asked what he would give priority in his new administration, Mr. Thaksin said that his new government would emphasize on economic policies which would help address people's problems from the grassroots level, including poverty eradication, land right problems, and people's debt burdens.

He noted that his new government's economic policies would be changed to focus on the supply side, after they had succeeded in helping stimulate the Thai economy through the demand side over the past four years.

The caretaker prime minister said that his new government would also acceleratingly boost the country's competitiveness on the global market, and would pay attention to religious affairs.

Mr. Thaksin said he was considering filling his cabinet posts, intending to pool in experts, many of whom may be outsiders, to work for the nation in different areas, while some members of his previous cabinet might be in the party's established back-up team, given their growing experiences.

In a press conference here last night, the acting premier said he would consider whether his TRT Party would become the new single-party government, or would remain the coalition, asking the Chat Thai Party to join as his previous administration.

The Thai leader later promised in the special interview that he would listen more to academics, by inviting them to participate in policy plans.

He, again, thanked the voters for the landslide victory, and stressed that his new administration would follow what he had promised to the public about key policies.

Asked whether he would step down after the next four-year term, the acting prime minister said he would if he could find a suitable leader to sit on his place to continue to work for the nation.

"I'd like to step down graciously once I find a suitable person to replace me", he said.

Mr. Thaksin pledged that his new administration would be open for any examinations despite its overwhelming majority in the House.

He took the opportunity to thank the leader of the opposition Democrat Party, Mr. Banyat Bantadthan, for his high spirit and political maturity.

Earlier, Mr. Banyat extended his congratulations to Mr. Thaksin and his TRT Party on the landslide victory.

He said that he would consider whether he would step down from the head of the main opposition party after the official results of yesterday's general election are announced.

--TNA 2005-02-07

Khun Boxhead's general contempt for democracy and freedom of speech, inability to cope with the mildest criticism, sanction of a few thousand extra-judicial killings, financial shenannigans, arrogance and general despotism make me want to puke.

But like it or not Boxhead is here to stay, and even if his party didn't buy votes its obvious he still would have kicked everyones electoral <deleted> pretty convincingly, the result is not in doubt. The Thai people voted for this...no point getting upset about it.

Now its up to them to live with the consequences.

Opposition leader quits after loss

BANGKOK: -- The leader of Thailand's main opposition Democrat Party, Banyat Bantadtan, will resign after his party suffered a humiliating defeat to Thaksin Shinawatra's Thai Rak Thai party.

"At the executive party meeting tomorrow I will show my responsibility as leader of the party, despite our defeat being based on many factors. I have announced before that if the Democrats lost I would quit," Banyat said.

"My resignation will be effective immediately and a deputy party leader will replace me until the election of the next leader within 90 days."

--Agencies 2005-02-06

Khun Boxhead's general contempt for democracy and freedom of speech, inability to cope with the mildest criticism, sanction of a few thousand extra-judicial killings, financial shenannigans, arrogance and general despotism make me want to puke.

But like it or not Boxhead is here to stay, and even if his party didn't buy votes its obvious he still would have kicked everyones electoral <deleted> pretty convincingly, the result is not in doubt. The Thai people voted for this...no point getting upset about it.

Now its up to them to live with the consequences.

I agree... and said the same to people back in the USA last november when the other boxhead was re-elected.

BANGKOK: -- The leader of Thailand's main opposition Democrat Party, Banyat Bantadtan, will resign after his party suffered a humiliating defeat to Thaksin Shinawatra's Thai Rak Thai party.

"At the executive party meeting tomorrow I will show my responsibility as leader of the party, despite our defeat being based on many factors. I have announced before that if the Democrats lost I would quit," Banyat said.

"My resignation will be effective immediately and a deputy party leader will replace me until the election of the next leader within 90 days."

--Agencies 2005-02-06

It's about time the dinosaurs from other parties followed suit and made way for fresh leadership.

--Agencies 2005-02-06

It's about time the dinosaurs from other parties followed suit and made way for fresh leadership.

absolutely, young blood, TRT better be prepair themself for the next 4 year, its not gonna be walk in the park anymore.

hello issan alex. its been good to talk to you. I knew ubon since around 1970. (yes, usa Vietnam days, but Im English!!!))

different from here in North Thailand. Good luck to you and who knows what we will be talking of in 4 years, probably all in the Bangkok Hilton Foyer!

all the best Pip