Police Setup Kata Viewpoint

huggybear

Recently I've noticed a big police tent set up at the Kata Viewpoint.

Seems non-active during the day, I haven't been by at night (recently anyway).

Does anyone know, is this a drunk driving checkpoint or are they actually doing something about the low season crime that goes on in this area?

Good question. I saw this too and was hoping that it was a crime suppression move. I passed some patrol police just after nightfall patrolling that road while the checkpoint seemed at least partially operational.

Edited by Scubabuddha

I haven't ridden that way at night since last year when the attacks were going on. (and 2 years ago)

My first thought is, it's a good thing and i can use that road again.

But, i always fear that those bleath-elizer machines are bogus and they will decide when you are drunk or not by talking to you. (i don't drink but that doesn't mean i don't think about testing positive and going to jail)

Sure is enough bad news lately, I am going to consider this as good news.

But, i always fear that those bleath-elizer machines are bogus

I wonder what the BIB would say if when they presented me with the breath-elizer, I said....

"you first"

they would probably do what law enforcement anywhere would do....lock you up....

One would think it would make more sense to have undercover cops patrolling the area there instead of the dangerous and deadly grounds of the Aussie Bar.

That's true, but they might get jumped and lose all of their money. Also tough to find free whisky up there.