Car Dealership Insurance Scam

snowflake

Yesterday I drove to Honda after they had called me several times reminiding me that my insurance will expire tomorrow. They "want to help me" to fix this easily and cheaply for me (guess since I am a happy custumer).

There there I stand in the car showroom, looking for my normal sales girl (yes she is hot) and get shown over to this old hag of a prune... She finds a table and pulls me down on a chair, I kindly decline hot coffee or cold water as I am there only for a few minutes.... TELL ME HOW MUCH!

She starts asking me about the car and if I have claimed anything over the last year, I answer all the questions (NO CLAIMS) and tell her how far I have driven.

She then proceeds to tell me that last year I paid about 22000 for my brand new car and this year I will get a 20% discount (wow how nice I think). That will total up to 18067 monopoly money I have to hand over to her NOW!... I do not usually carry 18000B with me so I told her nicely that I would have to go and get money from somewhere else. I also asked if she could give a discount for me, since I am a poor teacher...

For the record here I own a new jazz, lovely little thing---

She then said she could drop off another 67 B and make it a round 18000B if I sign on then and there (I can pay the next day).

At this time I am a little tired of all the talk and pushing, she really wants me to sign up now, so instead of the usual "OK" I sit there and camly think of people I have talked to before that has renewed their insurace and how much they have had to pay.

I tell her I need a copy of the form and I will talk to her today if I want it...

When I left Honda I called a Thai friend and asked how much he pay for his 2.0 new civic (3 years old but many claims), he tells me 18000B... I tell him that I was just quoted 18000B for my Jazz, to which he laughs and says "I hope that you have not signed on". I told him what happend and we agreed to meet up today.

When he came to see me today I gave him last years documents which state I paid 18600B for my insurance... (I thought the woman said 22000B... ???).

He called another Thai guy, a mate of his that works for an insurance company, and he rides over to us to look at the car and to give me a quota... on the spot 15000B not more is what he says...

He complained that the insurance company that I had had also crossed out the value of the car and cut it in half, virtually making my car worthless...

He then told me to claim a new paintjob with the old company tomorrow (I had a scratch from some stones on the hood/bonnet)...

Will keep you updated on what will happen in this case, but be aware, there are loads of people out there that wants to take your money, and if you care about 4000 when you buy a new car, don't let the dealership do the job for you, it might cost more than its worth to pick up the phone! The dealership will certainly overcharge you if you do not pay close attention!

Funny but I did not have this problem when I had a Toyota!

Rant over! Please do not slag me of over the bad grammar or spelling, just to lazy to check! :)

i really don't understand the part about this guy who works for another insurance company telling you that you "crossed out the value of your car and cut it in half and made it virtually worthless"....

and what is this stuff about being able to claim a new paint job?

I don’t understand the crossed car value out part too.

Our experience renewing insurance saw us buying from another insurance company. The country car dealer actually suggested it as their insurance didn’t have a claims department where we were. The other insurance was also cheaper than the one offered through the car dealership.

From what I’ve seen, a paint respray/scratch repair is a common claim towards the end of the first years insurance.

Come one man, since one company is more expensive than another, you can't just call it a scam. Every company has different coverage, different prices. Thats it. Its your job as a (poor) consumer to check out the market.

Btw, I also paid around 15k for my Civic 2.0.

She (the dealer) crossed out the amount. Sorry I was not clear enough...

I would call it a scam when they tell you that you paid 22000 last year when you in fact paid 18600, and now they will give you a discount of 20%... Which cuts it down to 18000... Are they honest there or are they taking you for a ride???

First class insurance will cover ANY damage on your car, claim for everything, even scratches that you get from leaning against it with your thing.... :-)

I will claim today, I have a dent on my bonnet and I will tell you all how it works out... It will be interesting since today is the last day on my old insurance...

I will claim today, I have a dent on my bonnet and I will tell you all how it works out... It will be interesting since today is the last day on my old insurance...

Ha Ha Ha

They will tell you to take it to XYZ Body Shop, a week or 2 later when it is ready and you go to pick it up they will say that the claim has not been met as the Insurance is not currant and needs to be paid. I know 2 people that this happened to

Ha Ha Ha

They will tell you to take it to XYZ Body Shop, a week or 2 later when it is ready and you go to pick it up they will say that the claim has not been met as the Insurance is not currant and needs to be paid. I know 2 people that this happened to

So, so true! The paint-job, not the Honda insurance, is probably the real scam. It's worthless just knowing the annual premium for a car insurance as different companies will offer different benefits and options. To the OP; contact many different reputable insurance brokers for real explanations of their different policies you intend to buy - don't rely on the advice of a friend of a friend or anyone who posts on this forum (I include myself in that comment BTW!) research widely and then choose!

Interesting, the wife went through this the other week.

First ask them how much they will insure your car for, and if any repair work can been done by the main dealer.

Some insurance companies will quote x baht but any repair work will not be done at the main dealers, or for a higher premium repair work can be done at the main dealers.

Dont be fooled into thinking because you have been quoted a lower rate that your car is insured for the same value as one quoting you a higher rate, it wont be.

I thought Honda usually offered Thanachart insurance for free when buying new cars, assuming you bought the car new, Honda will have given you free insurance last year, the price you paid will be obvious.

Dont know what model you have, but dont be surprized to see its insured value range anywhere from 400,000 to 470,000 baht.

Honda have been mentioned on TV before for passing on customers details to insurance companies, and be under no illusions someone somewhere is getting a cut.

By the way 18,000 baht sounds expensive, I would imagine about 15,000 to be a more realistic quote, not unless she was also going to renew your road tax disc as well.

i really don't understand the part about this guy who works for another insurance company telling you that you "crossed out the value of your car and cut it in half and made it virtually worthless"....

and what is this stuff about being able to claim a new paint job?

sounds like the depreciated the claimable value of the car to lower the insurance premium. So if it is written off, you get MUCH less than the replacement value.

As for the paint job, pretty common. We have an older car, and had the re-spray done on insurance. Only had to pay a small excess. Speak to a body shop associated with your insurer. They'll request for the work to be done, and they know how to get it approved.

Sounds expensive....... Was this your first car?

If not why did you not go with your old insurance Company?

Just last year changed both my car and my truck.. The pickup came with 1 year 1st Class Insurance... This was not needed as my Insurance Company gave me 40% NCB if I stayed with them, the Isuzu Dealership refunded the included insurance.. = I dropped 10% NCB for changing, this year will be back on 50% again.

Believe there are some Companies that do not do this? I have used the same Thai Company for the past 6 years recommended by a Thai friend that uses this Company for all there cars in the family, Next door uses a different Thai Company and they got 30% NCB when they changed there car.

Ha Ha Ha

yepp

and your new insurance company will say its old accident.

New insurance should be purchsed 2 months before old expires, as you get i discount for no claims. Then claim old company and have repaired/payed befor expire. :) Toyota sales staff taught me

• 2 weeks later...

Just last year changed both my car and my truck.. The pickup came with 1 year 1st Class Insurance... This was not needed as my Insurance Company gave me 40% NCB if I stayed with them, the Isuzu Dealership refunded the included insurance.. = I dropped 10% NCB for changing, this year will be back on 50% again.

Believe there are some Companies that do not do this? I have used the same Thai Company for the past 6 years recommended by a Thai friend that uses this Company for all there cars in the family, Next door uses a different Thai Company and they got 30% NCB when they changed there car.

Care to share the name of this company?

My renewal is due :)

Care to share the name of this company?

My renewal is due :)

Muang Thai Insurance

............... and the simple way to get the best deal with the full back-up service of a Broker is to use your own Thai Visa Insurance - easy and the best :)

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

Okay, so how much for full coverage on a 2008 MU-7 Activo with just over 10,000 kms on the clocks in pristine condition?

Please no PM's, answering here will be fine :D

............... and the simple way to get the best deal with the full back-up service of a Broker is to use your own Thai Visa Insurance - easy and the best :D

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

Okay, so how much for full coverage on a 2008 MU-7 Activo with just over 10,000 kms on the clocks in pristine condition?

Please no PM's, answering here will be fine :D

We shall need more information than that to be able to quote :)

Please complete the request form and we shall get back to you : http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

• 3 weeks later...

The most important thing you do with any new vehicle insurance is get the % coverage up from the basic 80% to 90% or greater. The extra costs about 1-2k a year. The thing is that future years insurance values are based on the last years' insured value and so forth, back to year one. And you don't want to lose 20% as soon as you drive it off the forecourt do you ?

My insurance was quoted at 32k for year 2 on D-Max but I got it elsewhere with Axa for 18k.

I would call it a scam when they tell you that you paid 22000 last year when you in fact paid 18600, and now they will give you a discount of 20%... Which cuts it down to 18000... Are they honest there or are they taking you for a ride???

Before renewing your insurance it is always a good idea to get other offers. I assume your dealer paid the first year and the premium should be shown on some insurance documents.

So it is not a real scam but just taking advantage of one's unawareness...som na na.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use ThaiVisa Insurance also called AA Insurance to cover both of my new cars. Their rates were competitive and the service is superior to other Insurance companies that I've dealt with. Yes I know their website application is a kind of a pain in the a** but I think the benefit is probably they are able to give a more accurate quote.

I had a friend that used a Thai Broker and he went South with the premium rather than pay the Insurance company, so it is important for me to use a known reputable company.