Temper Tantrums Call For A (phuket) Tourist Court By Alan Morison

GungaDin

More courts and more laws ....... this is what i wish to run away from, thank <deleted> we farangs are ignored in such matters.

How about upholding the laws on prostitution in Phuket that'd soon rid the place of wanabee self appointed lawmakers.

Besides in England we are forced by law to accept other peoples cultures, why shouldnt Thais accept that in our culture when the mercury hits 30 degrees many people like to take their top off ... though i agree in a supermarket its not hygenic.

clap2.gif

Hear, hear!

And here :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In places in the US where food is bought and sold, such as supermarkets and restaurants, there are clear signs: "No Shoes, No Shirts, No service." It's a violation of health codes.

As a former public health officer in the United States I can assure you that there are no health codes extant addressing the no shoes, no shirts, no service to which you allude as a violation of health codes. It would be interesting if you could come up with code citations to support your thesis. The "No shoes, No shirts, No service" phenomena was created during the Regan years by right wing religious leaders and conservative members of the legislatures and congress as a rebuke of the so called "hippie" generation movement. It was a very lame method of attempting to control the hippie behavior. It did not work as shops with the famous sign posted simply lost business. After about two years, the signs disappeared. It was never a public health issue.

In places in the US where food is bought and sold, such as supermarkets and restaurants, there are clear signs: "No Shoes, No Shirts, No service." It's a violation of health codes.

As a former public health officer in the United States I can assure you that there are no health codes extant addressing the no shoes, no shirts, no service to which you allude as a violation of health codes. It would be interesting if you could come up with code citations to support your thesis. The "No shoes, No shirts, No service" phenomena was created during the Regan years by right wing religious leaders and conservative members of the legislatures and congress as a rebuke of the so called "hippie" generation movement. It was a very lame method of attempting to control the hippie behavior. It did not work as shops with the famous sign posted simply lost business. After about two years, the signs disappeared. It was never a public health issue.

Funny, in canada 80% of the big corporate stores have signs on the front entrace that show: no dogs, no food, no shirtless men.

Everything else is allowed.

Maybe american is different because most of your population cant fit into a shirt.

Funny, in canada 80% of the big corporate stores have signs on the front entrace that show: no dogs, no food, no shirtless men.

Everything else is allowed.

Maybe american is different because most of your population cant fit into a shirt.

No, it's jeans they can't get on due to the big asses. That's how they fashion of wearing them half-way down started. :)

For your info, I am not fat at all.

where did you buy your mirror?

Right. I take it back. I am a "fat disgusting slob" and "Mr.Marshmellow." Mea culpa.

I didn't realize the Marines kept obese people on their roles, but luckily I am retiring June 1 after 34 years of service, so I won't be around to embarass the Corps with my soft body.

very precious aren't we dear

fatties are the least of the embarrassments of the us military

as to shirtless - fat or not its no good

very precious aren't we dear

as to shirtless - fat or not its no good

You know, in all my posts in TV, I have attempted to keep it to the subject at hand and refrain from pointless comments to individuals.  But your posts are really specious and mean-spirited.  

Because I took issue that the whole shirt or no shirt seemed to revolve around being obese or not (and I am using more polite terminology here), one poster assumed I was obese, too.  So to show that my comments were not predicated by my own physical description, I informed the poster that I was not in fact fat.  If I would have been fat, so what?  Wrong is still wrong.  But I am not, and since I do not hide behind a keyboard in safe anonyimity , I even showed a photo to show what I look like.

But you, dear sir/madam, choose to make snide comments.  For what reason, I cannot fathom. So be it.  This thread is not about whether I personally am obese or not.  

I still take offense at any nasty terminology aimed at any demographic, be it for race, gender, orientation, nationality, or body type.  I don't think it has a place here in TV. If you do think it is appropriate, I pity you.  You may feel safe to say whatever you feel hiding in back of your keyboard, but that does not make it right.

I am retiring June 1 after 34 years of service

I joined the Marine Corps on 31 October 1975 (Halloween),but got out as quckly as possible. Congratulations Colonel! :)

July 7, 1975.  Navy first, then Corps.  And thanks.  That is a huge chunk of my life about to end, even if the last 20 years have been as a reservist.

I see Thai guys wearing no shirts all round Bangkok everyday, maybe someone should educate them about this romantic notion of Thai culture

You should spend less time in Boys Town.

Cause' I cant recall ever seeing a Thai male on the street without a shirt besides the homeless.

sorry jon but i have honestly seen topless thai men in the market of sualum bazaar in Bangkok, and in Phitsanulok bus station, i only been to thailand 5 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but no biggie

Edited by hippyted

The US military does not allow fat people to serve and, besides that, photos make most people look like they weigh 15 lbs. more than they really do. I'm sure if you were man enough to call the Colonel names to his face, he would give you a dam* good stomping! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Having a certain opinion on issues does not mean that someone personal is effected or involved or it concerns the personal life by that opinion. That's actually a assumed fact and rather sad to be explained here.

Suppose someone posts, that it's unfair that you have to show a certain financial amount to get a visa, does not mean, that this poster is in need of that.

Or if I post that it's quite OK, that farangs shop without a shirt does not mean, that I shop without a shirt. Or if post that gays are nice people I, that also does not mean that I am gay...

Looks very fit to me , that stomach is as tight and flat as can be, but very muscular and strong chest, legs and arms . Do you play rugby Bonobo?

I would say that in Korat or Udon, yes, this is out of place.  But Patong, Pattaya, Koh Samui?  Those places are advertised as beach destinations.  

I disagree. Although Patong, Pattaya and Koh Samui are not in Thailand-it's FARANG LAND, the visiting farangs should be aware of Asian culture a bit more when they travel. I get hot and will strip topless on the beach, but upon leaving cover up. By going topless shows no knowledge or respect of local Thai culture.

So you admit that when you are on the beach itself, you strip topless?  Do you see many Thais doing that?  Or do you see Thais in shorts and shirts even in the water?

The local Thai custom is to wear t-shirts on the beach, not go topless.  So if you think tourists should follow local Thai culture, why don't you bother to do it yourself while on the beach?  Where is your "respect" for local Thai culture/customs there?

I personally do the same thing that you do.  But that is because it fits my own comfort level.

I have never seen a Thai man wear a shirt into the water..

In fact the Thai men, many of them, at the beach are all in just boardies.. All the beach working guys for parasails, jetskis etc..

There was a guy wandering around Tesco's the other day in flip-flops, knee shorts, a sleeveless vest and wrap-around sunglasses (indoors). Just looked stoopid rather than offensive. :)

And this would be strange why ??

I mean perhaps in deepest darkest rural issan.. But cargo pant knee lenth shorts, a t shirt and sandals ?? Thats 90% of the farang phuket population daytime dress. Even most normal working (non office) Thais are dressed that way.

Looks very fit to me , that stomach is as tight and flat as can be, but very muscular and strong chest, legs and arms . Do you play rugby Bonobo?

I did play.  I was on the 1986 US Military championship team, and I played for Potomac Rugby Club.  I played some Old Boys, but I was injured in Iraq, and that has kept me from playing for the last three years.

Boy I love that sport!

I would say that in Korat or Udon, yes, this is out of place.  But Patong, Pattaya, Koh Samui?  Those places are advertised as beach destinations.  

I disagree. Although Patong, Pattaya and Koh Samui are not in Thailand-it's FARANG LAND, the visiting farangs should be aware of Asian culture a bit more when they travel. I get hot and will strip topless on the beach, but upon leaving cover up. By going topless shows no knowledge or respect of local Thai culture.

So you admit that when you are on the beach itself, you strip topless?  Do you see many Thais doing that?  Or do you see Thais in shorts and shirts even in the water?

The local Thai custom is to wear t-shirts on the beach, not go topless.  So if you think tourists should follow local Thai culture, why don't you bother to do it yourself while on the beach?  Where is your "respect" for local Thai culture/customs there?

I personally do the same thing that you do.  But that is because it fits my own comfort level.

I have never seen a Thai man wear a shirt into the water..

In fact the Thai men, many of them, at the beach are all in just boardies.. All the beach working guys for parasails, jetskis etc..

Granted, the guys working the foreign tourist beaches don't wear shirts.  But in other, "non-farang" beaches, the men usually go in with shirts.  And women just about all wear shorts and t-shirts.

So, now that I think of it, there are seemingly different standards for beaches such as Pattaya and Cha-am.

I don't usually wear t-shirts in public as a matter of personal preference.  But I have one sleeveless, grey t-shirt which I rather like for some reason, and I have occassionally worn it on a Saturday to exercise (not in the gym, but on the way to it) and then to see a movie.

Based on this thread, I asked a Thai woman if this was acceptable.  Well, according to her, it isn't.  So while I have never paraded around off the beach without a shirt, I have still contravened Thai behaviour just by wearing this shirt instead of a more accepted shirt.

I still have no problem with people running around in beach attire at a foreign-oriented beach destination, and that includes walking to the beach or stopping in a mini-mart near the beach to grab a drink.  But I am glad this thread prompted me to find out that I was wearing innapropriate clothing in other places. 

The US military does not allow fat people to serve and, besides that, photos make most people look like they weigh 15 lbs. more than they really do. I'm sure if you were man enough to call the Colonel names to his face, he would give you a dam* good stomping! :)

Actually that is completely FALSE

last month they had a special on fox, explaining how they are allowing fat people to join the army since most of the country is fat anyways.

They spend 1 to 3 years training daily to lose that fat, your government is spending millions more on these idiots who cant do it by themselves.

They had a fat slob shed some tears to make sure all americans would accept this.

I don't usually wear t-shirts in public as a matter of personal preference.  But I have one sleeveless, grey t-shirt which I rather like for some reason, and I have occassionally worn it on a Saturday to exercise (not in the gym, but on the way to it) and then to see a movie.

Based on this thread, I asked a Thai woman if this was acceptable.  Well, according to her, it isn't.  So while I have never paraded around off the beach without a shirt, I have still contravened Thai behaviour just by wearing this shirt instead of a more accepted shirt.

I still have no problem with people running around in beach attire at a foreign-oriented beach destination, and that includes walking to the beach or stopping in a mini-mart near the beach to grab a drink.  But I am glad this thread prompted me to find out that I was wearing innapropriate clothing in other places. 

I find it hilarious when short fat people go to the gym and pump themselves up then walk around thinking they're not fat and post photos of themslves on the internet :)

I find it hilarious when short fat people go to the gym and pump themselves up then walk around thinking they're not fat and post photos of themslves on the internet :)

And I find it rather sad that there are people who enjoy demeaning others, from the anonimity of their keyboards, for no other reason than to be mean-spirited.  

If you think I am short and fat, not that there is anything wrong with being short or fat, so be it.  Your choice. My body fat percentage is fairly low, although as I am in my 50's, it is higher than it was when I was 20.  So if you personally have a 10% body fat percentage, yes, I am "fatter" than you.  But I really doubt that as I walk by, people are thinking "what a fat, disgusting slob," as I was called when I merely posted to say that this issue should not be predicated on someone's weight.

This thread is not about my weight.  I was called out, and I responded. I would have guessed that would have been the end of it, and we would have gotten back to the topic at hand.  Guess not.

I see Thai guys wearing no shirts all round Bangkok everyday, maybe someone should educate them about this romantic notion of Thai culture

Yes, some foreigner should definately educate these gentleman on what is acceptable in Thai culture according to a book/website they have read. .

Yes, some foreigner should definately educate these gentleman on what is acceptable in Thai culture according to a book/website they have read. .

:)

Actually that is completely FALSE

last month they had a special on fox, explaining how they are allowing fat people to join the army since most of the country is fat anyways.

They spend 1 to 3 years training daily to lose that fat, your government is spending millions more on these idiots who cant do it by themselves.

They had a fat slob shed some tears to make sure all americans would accept this.

I'm sure that you are another perfect Internet specimen of a man. :D

.........and you are correct we do see shirtless Thai men all over the country .......... shirtless men is a Thai tradition, (as it is in most Asian socirties)they are showing their Buddhist tattoos, that tell a story about their lives, military, policeman, what school they went to, tragedy/happiness in their lives, what temple they belong to, who is their 'saint' things of that nature - but I don't EVER see them in major shopping complexes, large stores, or sit down resturants etc etc etc

BTW - it is their country, their rules, let's stop worrying about the small stuff and get on with our lives.............. :)

Temper Tantrums Call for a (Phuket) Tourist Court By Alan Morison

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/temper-tantru...st-court-11130/

My pet hate is seeing topless male tourists in supermarkets etc., this causes great offense to Thai people.

They're not in Spain or the Gold Coast.

Would DFAT. FCO, & local expats please remind them! :)

DFAT.........ha ha ha , you've gotta be joking!...........They are like the dickheads who go half naked in the street, topless on the beach or stand 'necking' on the footpath. DEFAT really don't give a sh.t about the Thai community or how they feel. They are only interested in covering their own asses by warning how 'dangerous' things are , just in case. Then they can say "we told you so" I once tried to tell a wayward English couple, and was told "<deleted> off grandad" its our money that they are taking, not yours. I think its about time these young fools were banged up for 24 hrs.

Did you actually ask the waiting staff if they are "disgusted", as it seems as if its only you thats offended, and you are presuiming for others.

Well not only me: I didn't start the topic.

I suggest you do not understand much about Thai culture. After four years I am certainly no expert – I hold that no westerner can ever really be in this alien place - but am quite sure I am right about this one. And yes, once or twice I have been told by the owner of a restaurant I frequent that she doesn't like it.

How about a straw poll? What do others think? Is it OK, or not, for a bloke to sit shirtless in a reasonable restaurant/cafe? (I am NOT including beach bars and suchlike, or dives in beer-bar areas).

You know my answer, and you know Sanmiguel's. Who's the majority with?

PS Im milk bottle white after 5 weeks here i dont take my top off or sunbathe but i cant see what the problem is in a tourist area if a man wishes to walk around in short with his top off .... maybe you ought to go and have a word with the next guy you see doing this as its so offensive to you, though im guessing youre braver on the internet.

Not at all. Unlike many here, I don't bother to hide behind much anonymity.

I am 100% with you jungjok. Trouble is that there are so many 'slobs' here with absolutely no standards of their own and who only try to drag us all down with them. It probably helps them to feel at home with their own upbringing.

I've noticed Thai guys being shirtless "In the Soi" meaning in their respective neighborhood and most likely quite near their home. Thais do seem to dress a bit more formal when they go out in a more public place. I'm not really a shirtless guy so it doesn't cause me problems. I like to blend in, so I take my cue from the locals: if they are casual, I'm casual and if they dress up so do I.

You should spend less time in Boys Town.

Cause' I cant recall ever seeing a Thai male on the street without a shirt besides the homeless.

Agreed. Never see Thais going topless unless they are off the street on a building site or working in a shop. Walking on the streets or in a shopping Mall, never. Seen a topless Aussie in Sainsburys though, shouting to his mate a few isles away that he had found the spagetti ? :)

I see loads of shirtless Thai men around the beach towns in Phuket. I think people just don't notice this. It becomes part of the landscape. Many seem to have come from the beach areas. EG: Jet Ski touts etc. I also have noticed the propensity for Thais to remove as much clothing as possible to, appearently, prevent it from getting wet or dirty. I have seen garbage men waering only shorts in the rain, and one time I saw a construction worker wearing just underwear!!! (No, it wasn't The Village People)

2 days ago there was a fat farang in the Festival SFX Cinima that felt it was a good place to go shirtless, even afterwards during the walk through the mall to the car park.

It’s sad to see the Thai waiting staff exchange glances in disgust, with the perpetrator slouching there quite oblivious to the offence he or she is causing.

I don't think it's just a question of being oblivious to Thai sensibilities and it's not only Thais who find it disgusting. They who expose their pale white or lobster red, hairy, sweaty blubber are simply low class, obnoxious slobs ... as they probably are in any country or context. At the beach or in the bar beers along the beach it's no less attractive, but more or less acceptable under the circumstances, but anywhere else it's neither attractive nor acceptable.

There are times at the beach at Jomtien or at the pool at my condo when women choose to appear topless. Based on my observations, this urge to share only motivates women over 50 who have lost the battle with gravity in a big way. Similarly there are some men at Jomtien who have decided to throw caution to the wind and wear the briefest of thongs. If this is some mating ritual designed to attract the attention of either eligble women or other men, Darwin must be spinning in his grave. Apparently these people stay in homes or hotels without mirrors or possibly they've misplaced their white canes.

I agree this is not something that requires laws, police and courts. One of the many things that makes Thailand attractive is that it doesn't try to legislate or police every aspect of human behavior. I'm sure we all benefit from that one way or another.

It seems like there ought to be some more subtle form of social pressure that would wake these people up, but then most have managed to live 40, 50, 60 years as totally self-absorbed, numb individuals, so I guess there's little hope of anything penetrating their shells.