Royal Thai Floral Show

IanForbes

I was impressed a couple years ago with the Royal Thai floral show. There was a huge amount of work done in preparing it and I didn't check it out this past winter. What has become of the site and are they still using the grounds for floral displays?

Here are just a few pictures of the show in 2007.

Floral_001.jpg

Floral_135.jpg

Floral_144.jpg

Floral_153.jpg

I especially liked the orchid show and spent hours there. I never realized there were so many varieties..

Floral_068.jpg

Floral_066.jpg

Status quo. Nothing has changed. Big beautiful grounds with practically no tourists. I've been there three times. All three times there could not have been more 25-35 people there. I don't understand how they stay open. Sure is a nice place to spend an afternoon. I love gardens and landscaping so I really hope they continue to stay open.

Nice photos, BTW.

I understand that every 4 years there will be another festival and that year they will charge. In the intervening years it is still worth a visit and as it's free (except 20 baht for the bus) it is a real bargain. I'm surprised they don't do more with it because it would be a good tourist attraction

Thanks for the replies. I meant to get to check it out last winter but I was always busy doing someone else, I mean something else. :) It certainly is more than you can see in one day if you actually like plants. Using colourful vegetables within a flower garden has always seemed like a good idea to me. Most often you don't need a lot of veggies, but having a few nice ones is always pleasant if you are going to water the flowers anyway. Arranging a garden is similar to planning a painting if you are an artist. It takes contrast between lights, darks and colours, various shapes and good composition. Adding a bit of water makes a nice touch.

Floral_091.jpg

I built a rockery in front of my home and added 5 big flower boxes for bulbs mixed with evergreens. This spring we had a late snow fall and it added its own form of beauty.

Spring_snow_1.jpg