Volunteer As An English Teacher

SEETEFL

I'm John from the SEE TEFL teacher training programme located in Chiang Mai along Kaewnawarat Road. My company sponsors the Teaching Forum of this website. We are licensed by the Thai Ministry of Education and are institutional members of the International Association of TEFL based in the UK.

I have often read threads concerning volunteering, visas and work permits. To legally work as a volunteer in Thailand the volunteer must have the appropriate visa and a volunteer work permit. Our company runs a foundation: the DSS Foundation (registry number 0032/2548) is registered with The National Culture Office of Thailand as a non-political foundation to promote foreign language instruction to underprivileged Thai adults and children. More information here:

www dot SiamEducationalExperience.org/dssfoundation_th.htm (change the 'dot' to a '.')

Participants of our TEFL certification programme who wish to volunteer as English teachers in Chiang Mai will be sponsored to obtain a renewable 1-year non-immigrant O visa plus a renewable 1-year volunteer work permit. Initially, the volunteer will obtain a 3-month single-entry non-immigrant O visa from a Thai consulate or embassy with our sponsoring documents. On returning to Chiang Mai, we will start the work permit application process. Then, the visa is extended to match the validity period of the work permit (1 year). Visa extensions are at the discretion of Immigration officers and new applications may only initially receive 1-month extensions until the officers are satisfied the applicant is working as a volunteer (we prepare a report from the school with photographs). The only additional cost to the volunteer is the actual cost of the visa and work permit (around 5,000 baht). We do not charge extra for our administration costs. We have already obtained 6 1-year volunteer work permits for graduates of our TEFL training programme.

DSS Foundation volunteers can teach in a Chiang Mai government school, temple school or orphanage. The minimum commitment is only 16 teaching hours per calendar month or on average just under 4 hours per week. The foundation matches the volunteer's availability to the teaching location. For example, a volunteer may only wish to teach one hour per morning Monday to Thursday or four hours every Wednesday afternoon. There is no maximum limit so volunteers can teach as many hours as they wish.

This opportunity is suitable for a retiree, expatriate or gap-year student. A volunteer must be a native speaker of English or have strong English language skills. A degree is not required. A police background check is necessary before the volunteer can be placed. This can be obtained from the volunteer's home country or the Thai 'FBI' (details are available on request). It's possible to apply before training starts and the clearance will be through within four weeks.

Our next training programme begins June 22nd.

You can contact me by email:

john at siameducationalexperience.org (change the 'at' to an '@')

or visit our website:

www dot SiamEducationalExperience.org (change the 'dot' to a '.')

or post your questions below

Edited by SEETEFL

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It reads a bit like a scam, to be honest. Not necessarily by you, but the angling for using this as a way to obtain a visa with 'only' 4 hours of actual teaching required does sound like it. And without any teaching qualifications required at all, and no background check...! Apply now.. :) You have to wonder what sort of people this attracts.

It sounds like a wonderful program. If immigration accepts these workers for extensions and they have knowledge of the number of hours worked, I think characterizing this as a scam is very wrong. Is there any such program in Pattaya or other cities in Thailand? As far as qualifications, they are getting some training, and any native speaker can offer conversational/pronunciation expertise. Granted, trained educated teachers are ideal, but certainly some help is better than nothing.

Edited by Jingthing

It reads a bit like a scam, to be honest. Not necessarily by you, but the angling for using this as a way to obtain a visa with 'only' 4 hours of actual teaching required does sound like it. And without any teaching qualifications required at all, and no background check...! Apply now.. :)You have to wonder what sort of people this attracts.

without any teaching qualifications - incorrect

Participants must complete a 120 hour TEFL certification programme that includes 6 1-hour observed teaching practices with real Thai students in real Thai schools. This is the EFL industry standard for entry level EFL teachers.

The majority of foreign teachers teaching EFL in private and government schools in Thailand have this, or a similar, qualification.

no back ground check - incorrect

You have written there's no background check but it is clearly written in the OP a background check is a requirement.

with 'only' 4 hours of actual teaching required

This satisfies Immigration and Labour so why is it wrong or misleading in your opinion to post this information?

you have to wonder what sort of people this attracts

We want to attract retirees, expats and gap-year students who want to contribute something worthwhile to the people of Chiang Mai. There are many of these people here on tourist visas who would like to do something positive with their time. We offer an opportunity but also take the responsibility to provide the appropriate visa and work permit.

Edited by SEETEFL

I'm John from the SEE TEFL teacher training programme located in Chiang Mai along Kaewnawarat Road. My company sponsors the Teaching Forum of this website. We are licensed by the Thai Ministry of Education and are institutional members of the International Association of TEFL based in the UK.

I have often read threads concerning volunteering, visas and work permits. To legally work as a volunteer in Thailand the volunteer must have the appropriate visa and a volunteer work permit. Our company runs a foundation: the DSS Foundation (registry number 0032/2548) is registered with The National Culture Office of Thailand as a non-political foundation to promote foreign language instruction to underprivileged Thai adults and children. More information here:

www dot SiamEducationalExperience.org/dssfoundation_th.htm (change the 'dot' to a '.')

Participants of our TEFL certification programme who wish to volunteer as English teachers in Chiang Mai will be sponsored to obtain a renewable 1-year non-immigrant O visa plus a renewable 1-year volunteer work permit. Initially, the volunteer will obtain a 3-month single-entry non-immigrant O visa from a Thai consulate or embassy with our sponsoring documents. On returning to Chiang Mai, we will start the work permit application process. Then, the visa is extended to match the validity period of the work permit (1 year). Visa extensions are at the discretion of Immigration officers and new applications may only initially receive 1-month extensions until the officers are satisfied the applicant is working as a volunteer (we prepare a report from the school with photographs). The only additional cost to the volunteer is the actual cost of the visa and work permit (around 5,000 baht). We do not charge extra for our administration costs. We have already obtained 6 1-year volunteer work permits for graduates of our TEFL training programme.

DSS Foundation volunteers can teach in a Chiang Mai government school, temple school or orphanage. The minimum commitment is only 16 teaching hours per calendar month or on average just under 4 hours per week. The foundation matches the volunteer's availability to the teaching location. For example, a volunteer may only wish to teach one hour per morning Monday to Thursday or four hours every Wednesday afternoon. There is no maximum limit so volunteers can teach as many hours as they wish.

This opportunity is suitable for a retiree, expatriate or gap-year student. A volunteer must be a native speaker of English or have strong English language skills. A degree is not required. A police background check is necessary before the volunteer can be placed. This can be obtained from the volunteer's home country or the Thai 'FBI' (details are available on request). It's possible to apply before training starts and the clearance will be through within four weeks.

Our next training programme begins June 22nd.

You can contact me by email:

john at siameducationalexperience.org (change the 'at' to an '@')

or visit our website:

www dot SiamEducationalExperience.org (change the 'dot' to a '.')

or post your questions below

John,

This is exactly what I will be looking to do in a few years time in the Chiang Rai area when both my Service pension and family situation allows so this information will be carefully filed away for future reference.

I have already investigated and made tenuous plans to complete TEFL and possibly the Business and/or Young Learners qualifications so all will be tackled appropriately (and with all available guidance/support).

An excellent opportunity for us "farangs" to give back to this country and have a chance to make a positive difference to those that matter - the future citizens.

I applaud you and the organisation and hope that I can reach my goal of free teaching as early as possible.

Good luck

John,

This is exactly what I will be looking to do in a few years time in the Chiang Rai area when both my Service pension and family situation allows so this information will be carefully filed away for future reference.

I have already investigated and made tenuous plans to complete TEFL and possibly the Business and/or Young Learners qualifications so all will be tackled appropriately (and with all available guidance/support).

An excellent opportunity for us "farangs" to give back to this country and have a chance to make a positive difference to those that matter - the future citizens.

I applaud you and the organisation and hope that I can reach my goal of free teaching as early as possible.

Good luck

I volunteered a few hours each week in a small orphanage a few years ago while working for the British Council. The kids were from various hill-tribes and their individual stories were very sad. For most I was their first English language teacher. A few months ago I bumped in to one of these students. Since I taught her she had been adopted by a Canadian couple and was taking a language proficiency examination in order to study in a Canadian University. Most people know how difficult life is normally for hill-tribe people but throw in the fact that this young woman was also an orphan and you can only imagine the sort of 'opportunities' available to her. Maybe my volunteering made a difference to this young life; I hope so.

Edited by SEETEFL

who in their right mind would want to work for free????? I wouldnt lol

Must be a scam and they get the money lol

Placements are checked by Immigration and Labour. Thai temple schools have no money to pay for foreigners nor does the orphanage we work with. It's volunteering.

Edited by SEETEFL

who in their right mind would want to work for free????? I wouldnt lol

Who would work for free? According to you - insane people.

But perhaps there are other types that would work for free?

People who care about other people more than they care about money?

People who recognize that they have been fortunate enough in life not to have to get paid for every moment they do something?

People who have any sense of social justice?

Decent people?

But not you - as you so clearly stated - "lol"

---

And for comparison, who wouldn't work for free? According to you, sane people. But maybe also:

People full of hate for their fellow humans?

People who have no sympathy or empathy for the less fortunate?

People who have so much money that they feel so entitled to their riches that nobody dare hope for some help?

People who think they are better than others?

People who only take, and never give?

Jerks?

The sort of person who would leave someone dying in the street rather than give away any of their precious time to help?

---

So, if you don't get paid, you don't do anything for anybody? tsk tsk

Oh yes - "lol"

I used to pay $500 each time I risked my life in a conflict zone, unarmed, plus other expenses, for a religious charity, overseas. I did voluntary teaching in a Thai orphanage, but quickly tired of teaching without a WP. One of our moderators has worked as a volunteer teacher, with a WP.

I applaud SEE and its foundation for this innovative Thai/English program.

I may have missed it, but I found no reference to the cost of training in the OP. I think that would have been appropriate. Does the foundation absorb the cost of training? Looking at the company web site, it doesn't appear that way. Looks like it costs at least USD 995. There was only one reference in the OP to costs: "no extra costs" for administrative assistance. Working through the application, review and renewal process is indeed both time-consuming and onerous.

In talks with not-for-profit organizations over the years, I recall a lot of frustration among them with not being able to utilize longer-stay volunteers (many of whom can also be genuine pains in the butt for other reasons). But the Thai government is apparently firm in its stance about the "process." There are certainly various reasons for it, some arguably valid (e.g., the rationale that "opening the door" will limit job opportunities for Thai instructors), and some resistance just (it seems) bureaucratic in nature.

There are long threads on TV regarding the policy and rules for voluntarism. It isn't just English language teachers, of course, that can be useful. If there were ever a place to negotiate a different approach to ease restrictions on visa holders, then this would seem to be one, but even the formally expressed concerns through diplomatic channels have not apparently resulted in any progress thus far.

Perhaps one approach might be that an applicant provide proof of competence in the volunteer field as well as satisfactory financial means, the latter requirement perhaps being similar to existing requirements for a spousal or retirement visa. Anyone would also have to provide an acceptable police background report (which is normally quite simple and relatively inexpensive to get). Young volunteers looking for experience abroad probably wouldn't qualify, but at least it would make things easier for quite a number of other potential volunteers, particularly within the retirement community.

The Thai government might also be more open to change if it were not for a practical concern for competence and the tendency of so many farang to game an already tolerant and open immigration system. Competence, as expressed by the OP, is important. Re teaching English, not all native English speakers make good teachers. Still, I hear heads of school and teachers saying they'd be delighted just to have more native speakers around for conversational purposes and informal educational activities to supplement their formal instruction. When it comes to gaming the system, well, I'm sure most people know what goes on.

I applaud OP for the effort to launch the foundation both for its altruistic objectives as well as, apparently, his marketing initiative.

Edited by Mapguy

Hi Mapguy,

Volunteers need to complete our 120-hour TEFL certification programme. They will pay the normal training cost for this which is US$995 without accommodation, or US$1195 with accommodation during the 4-week training period. At the end of training they will be awarded our TEFL certification. This means they have a vocational training qualification that will enable them to find paid work as a TEFL teacher in Chiang Mai, Thailand, Asia or just about anywhere; and/or qualify for our volunteer programme. The training cost covers our overhead, staff and administration expenses.

If they opt to become a volunteer for our foundation there will never be additional charges, fees or costs other than the direct cost of the visa and work permit (about 5,000 baht). They could also opt to volunteer for the foundation and find paid teaching work if they wish.

The training includes teaching methodology, grammar, basic Thai instruction, a cultural-awareness day and 6 1-hour observed teaching practices with real Thai students in real Thai schools. There is more information on our website. There are testimonials on our website that describe the effectiveness of the training.

John

Hi Mapguy,

Volunteers need to complete our 120-hour TEFL certification programme. They will pay the normal training cost for this which is US$995 without accommodation, or US$1195 with accommodation during the 4-week training period. At the end of training they will be awarded our TEFL certification. This means they have a vocational training qualification that will enable them to find paid work as a TEFL teacher in Chiang Mai, Thailand, Asia or just about anywhere; and/or qualify for our volunteer programme. The training cost covers our overhead, staff and administration expenses.

If they opt to become a volunteer for our foundation there will never be additional charges, fees or costs other than the direct cost of the visa and work permit (about 5,000 baht). They could also opt to volunteer for the foundation and find paid teaching work if they wish.

The training includes teaching methodology, grammar, basic Thai instruction, a cultural-awareness day and 6 1-hour observed teaching practices with real Thai students in real Thai schools. There is more information on our website. There are testimonials on our website that describe the effectiveness of the training.

John

I am a bit confused.

If you expect people to volunteer (work for nothing), why are the trainers/leader(s) NOT volunteering (working for nothing) too?

Why isn't the training free?

I think there is a fine line between exploitation under the guise of volunteering and volunteering. Moreover, teaching is a demanding task which demands high skills and a personality to match! This seems to undermine teaching and teachers who should be paid just like cooks, tour guides, ministers, doctors,... Like anyone, really! I know we live in an overly capitalist world, but since the leaders are not doing this for free, why should the volunteers (and pay the training to boot)?

However, if people feel that it is ok to make someone very rich ($1000 US is not pocket money in LOS, especially considering one can assume there will be many people in the training class and that this a 4 week class*) and teaching for nothing, hey, maybe they can phone me! I understand they get a visa, but ... it sounds like a bit too much ... or too little, actually!

BTW, are the trainers doing this for free (and giving all the proceeds of their work to the leader/president of the company)?

* If there are 10 trainees, that's $20,000 US for one month (30 hrs per week). Good deal for the company!

Edited by rethaired

I am a bit confused.

If you expect people to volunteer (work for nothing), why are the trainers/leader(s) NOT volunteering (working for nothing) too?

I think there is a fine line between exploitation under the guise of volunteering and volunteering. Moreover, teaching is a demanding task which demands high skills and a personality to match! This seems to undermine teaching and teachers who should be paid just like cooks, tour guides, ministers, doctors,... Like anyone, really! I know we live in an overly capitalist world, but since the leaders are not doing this for free, why should the volunteers (and pay the training to boot)?

However, if people feel that it is ok to make someone very rich ($1000 US is not pocket money in LOS, especially considering one can assume there will be many people in the training class and that this a 4 week class*) and teaching for nothing, hey, maybe they can phone me! I understand they get a visa, but ... it sounds like a bit too much ... or too little, actually!

BTW, are the trainers doing this for free (and giving all the proceeds of their work to the leader/president of the company)?

* If there are 10 trainees, that's $20,000 US for one month (30 hrs per week). Good deal for the company!

If you expect people to volunteer (work for nothing)

No, we do not expect anything but we do offer an opportunity that will place volunteers in temple schools, an orphanage or even teaching monks in a temple. None of these institutions can afford the salaries of foreign teachers. These institutions pay nothing to the training company or the foundation. We will manage the placement; visa and work permit paperwork and ongoing support for the volunteers. A volunteer can go to these organizations directly and not go through us at all. It's a choice.

The training takes 4 weeks. Our school has to have a school licence. We have to pay rent. We have to pay staff costs. We have to pay electricity and telephone bills. The overheads are high. The training company is not a charitable organization nor does it promote itself as such. It is a commercial TEFL training company. Participants will receive a vocational qualification that qualifies them to teach TEFL not only in Thailand but in many countries around the world. Nearly all participants complete the training because they expect to work for a salary after graduation and not to become volunteers. Volunteers join a normal TEFL certification course.

I think there's a fine line between exploitation under the guise of volunteering and volunteering.

The foundation does not accept volunteers to teach unless they have been trained by us. We need to know them, their personalities, and their abilities and be confident they will represent us in a professional manner. We provide professional training, support to obtain the appropriate visa and a volunteer work permit. After completion of training all administration costs, except the direct visa and work permit costs, are absorbed by the foundation. The administration costs of the foundation are subsidized by the TEFL training company.

Volunteers for this project will be trained professionally have the appropriate visa and a work permit. The non-immigrant O visa will not require a financial qualification. IE a volunteer will not need to deposit a certain amount of money in a Thai bank account to qualify for this non-immigrant O visa.

There are many organizations in Chiang Mai and Thailand that do not train their volunteer teachers, do not provide the appropriate visa, and do not provide a work permit.

We are a choice.

Edited by SEETEFL

I am amazed at how many people seem to have difficulty with reading and comprehension these days.

An opportunity to volunteer in the community is being given to native English speakers with a TEFL qualification.

A forum sponsor is promoting this opportunity and is also promoting their TEFL training programme.

TEFL qualified teachers can either take up a paid teaching position, volunteer their services or both.

It 's not rocket science.

JxP

It sounds like a reasonable scheme to me. I just think that it is a pity that only four hours a week is required of the volunteer in exchange for their work permit. I can see lots of potential for abuse as more and more people avail of the opportunity, but perhaps I'm being too cynical.

It sounds like a reasonable scheme to me. I just think that it is a pity that only four hours a week is required of the volunteer in exchange for their work permit. I can see lots of potential for abuse as more and more people avail of the opportunity, but perhaps I'm being too cynical.

Four hours per week satisfies Immigration and Labour. It's their minimum. It's volunteering and we will endeavor to match a person's availability to an institution. I volunteered in Chiang Mai a few years ago and I could only spare 2-3 hours per week. There is no maximum number but we do not advise more than 15 or 18 teaching periods per week.

There's nothing wrong with being cynical in Thailand. I believe though that I have described our programme openly and honestly. Everyone is welcome to come to our school and meet us face to face.

The WP is no problem, as it only allows you to volunteer for the named organisation. It is a way of staying in Thailand on yearly extensions, and I think that that is what you mean when you talk about abuse.

I just want to say that I have met John and Ying multiple times as they brought prospective teachers to do some lesson plans where I worked. Both of them are running a tight business and know what they are talking about.

Just my 2 Baht.

The foundation does not accept volunteers to teach unless they have been trained by us. We need to know them, their personalities, and their abilities and be confident they will represent us in a professional manner. We provide professional training, support to obtain the appropriate visa and a volunteer work permit. After completion of training all administration costs, except the direct visa and work permit costs, are absorbed by the foundation. The administration costs of the foundation are subsidized by the TEFL training company.

So someone who already has a TEFL qualification, e.g. CELTA, and teaching experience in Thailand won't be accepted? They have to be trained by you first also?

Volunteers for this project will be trained professionally have the appropriate visa and a work permit. The non-immigrant O visa will not require a financial qualification. IE a volunteer will not need to deposit a certain amount of money in a Thai bank account to qualify for this non-immigrant O visa.

They'd better hope they've got some money in the bank if they're going to be volunteering!

But I thought volunteers had non-immigrant F visas?

I won't be able to post again here until Friday evening. I will be in Lampang with our current group of trainees for their first three observed teaching practices.

Please still post your questions. But please read my previous posts because I have given as much information as I can about the programme.

John

Alright, time for some serious slander then.. !!

(Kidding.. I do thank you for patiently answering all questions in great detail. Sometimes I like to shake the tree a little and see what falls out, but you've been like a grand old teak tree in that respect.. :) Have a fun and successful trip to Lampang! )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

So someone who already has a TEFL qualification, e.g. CELTA, and teaching experience in Thailand won't be accepted? They have to be trained by you first also?

I think that's pretty clear. If you pay for and (one presumes) attend their training course, you will be furnished with a one year visa and work permit and placed as a volunteer at an appropriate, needy and deserving institution.

It's clear, it's legit, it's above-board. It's the new wave of capitalism: Altruistic Capitalism, or, win-win-win. An orphanage gets a free teacher, the teacher gets a teaching certificate and one year visa/WP and the organizer gets a paying client. All relevant parties get what they want. What's to complain about?

If any commercial organization can help others while helping themselves, all kudos to them.

I think that's pretty clear. If you pay for and (one presumes) attend their training course, you will be furnished with a one year visa and work permit and placed as a volunteer at an appropriate, needy and deserving institution.

I think it's a bit of a joke asking someone who wants to volunteer, but is already trained, with teaching experience, to first pay £1000 to go through another training course before they can be placed.

Obviously helping themselves is more of a priority than helping others.