Bangkok Outer Ring Road East

PETERTHEEATER

The outer ring road East is programmed to extend South over the river and join up with the ring road West. Lots of dotted lines on most maps.

Anyone know whether work is in progress or what the status is?

Will this be at the top of the PM's road development plans during his second session?

:o

I've never gotten the impression that work has begun on the bridge required by this route (or even that a design has been decided for that bridge). I would tend to think that completion of this highway is many years away.

I've never gotten the impression that work has begun on the bridge required by this route (or even that a design has been decided for that bridge). I would tend to think that completion of this highway is many years away.

My sentiments too Ovenman. This was wishful thinking on my part only because it would simplify my travels. I day maybe.......

The bridge is at quite an advanced stage now. For the road itself, they have just recently begun land clearance and the demolition of properties that are in  the path.

Interesting, I hadn't ever read in the newspapers about anything moving on this particular project so I figured that it had been stalled indefinitely.

The bridge is at quite an advanced stage now. For the road itself, they have just recently begun land clearance and the demolition of properties that are in  the path.

Interesting, I hadn't ever read in the newspapers about anything moving on this particular project so I figured that it had been stalled indefinitely.

I think if you check 2bangkok.com, you're talking about the monster Wongwein Yai bridge for the Industrial Ring Road.

A completely different bridge than the one for the bottom end of the Outer Ring Road (Kanchanapisek bridge?)

i.e. Unless they extend the ring road south to meet up with this new bridge, you might still have a long wait for a better traffic route. (although if it helps reduce the traffic on the expressway to/from Bang Na, it will be very useful...)

I think if you check 2bangkok.com, you're talking about the monster Wongwein Yai bridge for the Industrial Ring Road.

A completely different bridge than the one for the bottom end of the Outer Ring Road (Kanchanapisek bridge?)

You're right, I don't believe the bridge shown with this link is the one that will be used by the Outer Ring Road. That site has what appears to be a dead link to future bridge projects. Anybody else have any luck following this link?

You're right, I don't believe the bridge shown with this link is the one that will be used by the Outer Ring Road. That site has what appears to be a dead link to future bridge projects. Anybody else have any luck following this link?

Ovenman,

Not sure of this but it appears that the Future Chao Phraya bridges link is actually an old link, not the word "Earlier" in front of it. Just a guess on my part.

On this link page:

http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/Bridge/wo...wongwein4.shtml

I found the following statement:

"In order to relieve the commercial traffic congestion around the industrial areas of Bangkok Port , Poochao Saming Phrai Road and Suksawat Road the King initiated the idea of a ring road system"

Since I am not overly familiar with the geography of Bkk, I dont know the route of the 3rd ring road. Are the places mentioned remotely near to the entended 3rd Ring route.

Also, on the same page was a map which I tried to paste here but can't seem to figure how to cut and paste images into a post. This map does have some dotted routes in red on it and again am only guessing but could one of these 'future' routes be the tie-in to the 3rd Ring. Map is about as clear as Pattaya Bay so its hard to tell.

If I am talking out of my a$$ then please ignor, but I guess that is still better than thinking with the wrong head. :o

"In order to relieve the commercial traffic congestion around the industrial areas of Bangkok Port , Poochao Saming Phrai Road and Suksawat Road the King initiated the idea of a ring road system"

Since I am not overly familiar with the geography of Bkk, I dont know the route of the 3rd ring road.  Are the places mentioned remotely near to the entended 3rd Ring route.

I pulled out a map from the bookshelf that answers a few questions. The Wongwian Yai bridge is not the bridge that will serve the Outer Ring Road. If you follow the approach for the Wongwian Yai bridge south, it will link up with the Outer Ring Road on the east side of the Chao Phraya, right about where the Outer Ring Road bridge will be.

It might mean they extend the outer ring road from Bang Na to where it would meet the new Industrial Ring Road (doesn't look much like a ring to me).

It wouldn't surprise me if the intended bridge for the ring road never gets built once this one opens (later this year, supposedly).

It might mean they extend the outer ring road from Bang Na to where it would meet the new Industrial Ring Road (doesn't look much like a ring to me).

It wouldn't surprise me if the intended bridge for the ring road never gets built once this one opens (later this year, supposedly).

It looks like they could "cheat" and get by with doing that. Only drawback is that the Wongwian Yai bridge shunts traffic back towards the city whereas the Outer Ring Road bridge shunts traffic away from town and towards Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhran and other points west and south. Of course it all comes down to funding but I would imagine that an assessment of what needs to be accomplished traffic-wise would be important as well.

It looks like they could "cheat" and get by with doing that. Only drawback is that the Wongwian Yai bridge shunts traffic back towards the city whereas the Outer Ring Road bridge shunts traffic away from town and towards Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhran and other points west and south. Of course it all comes down to funding but I would imagine that an assessment of what needs to be accomplished traffic-wise would be important as well.

You are joking aren't you...

The Wongwein Yai bridge is a royal project (so is happening... - nothing's going to stop it...)

The Outer Ring Road isn't a Royal Project. (so is dependent on money turning up from somewhere for it...)

I'm not saying it will NEVER get built, but the fact that this other bridge is there means it might easily get delayed by a decade or two... :o

I've been off-line for a few days but having read the foregoing it begs the question, if the outer ring road East southern bridge and extension to join the East ring road is not built, then the presumed additional traffic rushing to try out the PM's proposed sea bridge cutting the corner from Samut Songkhran (?) to Phetchaburi will clog the existing expressway links to Dao Khanong.

I'm pretty sure they are using the bridge to connect with the Outer Ring Road.

The ring road will come down from BangNa-Trat across Tepharak and Srinakharin, then cross Sukhumvit at the Erawan Museum/ Benz factory to the bridge. Since early December, they've been doing clearance work which you can't miss if you opposite the giant 3-headed elephant of the Erawan Museum, but there has also been demolition going on down the route in the sois.

I could be wrong but then it would seem that they'll have a bridge for a non-existent Industrial Ring Road plus an Outer Ring Road with no bridge to cross the river?

Drove back along the Bang-Na - ChonBuri motorway today, and turned onto the Outer Ring Road at Bang Na, and there's definitely work going on to extend that road south. (probably so that when the big bridge opens, people can actually get to it...)

(i.e. Huge tract cleared to bare earth, and lots of trucks moving around on it...)