What Is The "western" Or Scientific Name Of Dragon Eye/dragon Fruit

heybruce

Does anyone know the scientific name for dragon fruit/dragon eye fruit? When I enter "dragon eye fruit" in google it gives me links to longan/long-ngan fruits, not the fruits called dragon eye here in Chiang Mai. I'm curious because a Thai friend insists that red dragon eye has lots of health benefits, and I read years ago that deep red fruits and vegetables such as beets are exceptionally rich in something or other healthy stuff. I like red dragon eye and I'd like to see if there really are any health benefits beyond those usually associated with fresh fruits, but I need a better name than dragon fruit.

Dragon fruit is, I believe, very high in vitamin C. It is a member of the cactus family. It is also called a Pitaya, latin name Hylocereus undatus.

Here is the Wikipedia page on Pitaya: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitaya

Thank you very much. Not a lot of nutritional information in Wikipedia, but more than I had before. When I have more time I'll see if I can learn more about indicaxanthin, the antioxidant that I read somewhere long ago is supposed to be really good for something or other. For now I'll keep eating them because I enjoy them, and they do keep things moving along inside :)

A lot of pitaya is eaten in Mexico (more commonly spelt pitahaya there), but I never saw a fruit there anywhere near as large as the ones in SE Asia. Commonly in Mexico they're no larger than a tennis ball. The other interesting thing is that it's highly seasonal in Mexico, generally appearing the beginning of October and disappearing quickly.

They're commonly known as dragon fruit so what's wrong with calling it that? I entered "dragon fruit" in google and came up with the correct results. Never heard it called "red dragon eye" as you fondly refer to it. That's probably where you went wrong. This is one of my favorite fruits. I always argued with my friend who said it had no taste and didn't like it. I said the taste is subtle so you need a sophisticated palate. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My wife just told me that the dragon fruit was called kowmankorn spelling may be wrong however I believe it is called Pita Berry or Pithaya also. We grow the white meated variety but my friend in Nam Now has the yellow and purple species.