Opening A Language School In Thailand

My girlfriend and I are very interested in opening a language school on the Eastern Seaboard. The idea would be for English language courses and also Thai language courses.

I do not want to be owner of the business, it can all be in her name. I have my own job and work permit. However I do have a few questions, which, I hope some of the experts out there can help us with.

Can a language school open without registration from the MOE?

As we are only going to be a small operation we do not need full time teachers. I understand that we'll need to arrange work permits for any work taking place..........but are there different rules for language schools as the 4/1 thai to farang will be hard to make the concept financially viable?

Are any of the language school franchises worth pursuing?

I look forward to your educated replies.

Banchang Bob

My girlfriend and I are very interested in opening a language school on the Eastern Seaboard. The idea would be for English language courses and also Thai language courses.

I do not want to be owner of the business, it can all be in her name. I have my own job and work permit. However I do have a few questions, which, I hope some of the experts out there can help us with.

Can a language school open without registration from the MOE?

As we are only going to be a small operation we do not need full time teachers. I understand that we'll need to arrange work permits for any work taking place..........but are there different rules for language schools as the 4/1 thai to farang will be hard to make the concept financially viable?

Are any of the language school franchises worth pursuing?

I look forward to your educated replies.

Banchang Bob

Hi

We ran a TEFL school in Pattaya for 4 years which we sold 4 months ago. I also had 12 months experience teaching ESL in Hat Yai, Chiang Mai and Bangkok

There are already thousands of language schools in Thailand so make sure you do your market research before investing any money.

I believe you do need to register with the MOE and there's no harm in asking.

Work permits will be required for farang teachers although your biggest challenge is in finding half decent, reliable teachers to work for you. The TEFL industry is rife with poor, unreliable, unprofessional (you name it) farang teachers who are only teaching to subsidise their stay in Thailand (Read bar girls). The decent teachers are already employed with international schools.

There are no shortage of language schools that are fully equipped, eager students already signed up, but no teacher!

We managed to do OK as we targeted young graduates looking for a work abroad experience. Personally speaking, I wouldn't open a language school for love nor money.

Hope I'm not being too cynical, just my experience, so good luck.

Hi,

I came across this thread when i googled 'open a language school in Thailand'. I am also looking to open a school in Thailand. Also I'm happy for it to be in my wifes (Thai) name if this make things easier to open. My main question is in order to register with the MOE do any of the business owners need to be qualified teachers. The business owners wont be doing the teaching themselves, but hiring the qualified teachers.

Thanks

Sidzz