Foreigners Required To Register At Local Police Station

My wife got a call ths morning from the local police requesting I come in for a visit. I asked her why of course but no explanation was given to her.

Arrived at the police station but the boss was not there yet.and was told that it was not a problem.

The 2nd in command showed up and explained that I needed to register. It was apparent that they were not sure what was needed. but 2 forms were filled out and finger prints were taken for one form and prints of fingers grouped together for the other. Info from passport and extension of stay, type of visa and etc was written on both forms. Plus one photo because I only had one with me.

Before finishing everything the chief arrived. He speaks good English so that helped a bit.

He informed me his boss in Ubon had given a directive to him that all foreigners need to be registered and to ask them to register. I asked if it was for all of Thailand and he said yes.

He also had them make copies of my passport photo and extension pages.

So if you get a visit from the local police and are asked to go in for a visit it might be for this.

Can anybody tell me how to get the ink off hands? :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one seems to be popping up every so often, almost always out in the boonies.

Not sure if you live in the city or outside.

I'm of the impression that this task is solely for the immigration police, unless you have no immigration close by. Falls I would think under the same law requiring you to report every movement throughout Thailand the moment you stay more then 24 hours away from your registered abode.

I reckon we'd end up with a bit of a queue at Pattaya police station :) if they do this over here

A couple of years back, the village policeman came to see me. He filled out a questionaire, with the answers I gave. Spent 20 minutes just explaining athiest. Checked my passport, and took 2 passport photos away. No finger prints though. I'm out in the sticks, maybe they have a perception the guys living out of town are on the run from their home country, or are illegal stayers. The one I do know of lives in town :)

I've had to do this a couple of times in the past - yes out in the boonies. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. And when it's happened to me it hasn't happened to farangs in other Jungwats that I know of.

I wa not fingerprinted either time though. They just came to the house and one time I had a photocopy of my passport, so everything was done there. Other time I had to take a photocopy to the police station.

No hassle at all.

Actually, all foreigners should be registered with the local police. It's law that the head of the house should notify the police when a foreigner stays there.

Most foreigners stay in hotels/apartments and the landlords should register them.

Not sure if reporting your address to immigration nullifies or complies this law or not.

They came today. They come once a year. They have their own form. Nothing to do with immigration except that they always come a week or two after that I have renewed my permit to stay. Does immigration ask the local police to check out my address ? :):D

I live in northern Buriram 200 km away from my immigration office.

As for the ink. Spit on your fingers and rub it off with some tissue paper.

Edited by JanAndersLarsson

I live way out of town.

The police know me well because my wife is the village head person. (man). That is why she got a call instead of a visit.

I even got letters from them last year that were requested by immigation when I put in for my extension.

Some immigration offices do request that they check to see if you are living together. Immigration gave us a letter to deliver and then to take the police letter back instead of waiting for the mail to go both ways.

You are suppost to report to the police within 8 hours according to the immigration act. The other reports mentioned are to immigration not the police.

I have met the chief before and he told me clearly this came from above. I don't think it has a thing to do with immigration.

I don't think it's anything to get excited over.

I justed posted this topic so if you get a request to report you will have a heads up about what it might be about.

They came today. They come once a year. They have their own form. Nothing to do with immigration except that they always come a week or two after that I have renewed my permit to stay. Does immigration ask the local police to check out my address ? :):D

I live in northern Buriram 200 km away from my immigration office.

As for the ink. Spit on your fingers and rub it off with some tissue paper.

This is regular ink pad ink. I have already used soap and water.

We had something like this early in the new year. A new Police boss in town and he wanted all farangs to provide photocopies of passport & marriage certificates. As far as I know there are only 4 foreigners who permanently reside here and one of the wives went around and gathered all the paperwork.

Never heard anything about it since.

My wife told me a load of cobblers about if 'one of us was involved in an accident' scenario!.

The farang who has lived here the longest did tell me that during Thaksins war on drugs, he once had a visit from the BIB asking questions such as, how do you get your money, where did the money come from to build this nice house!

Would Bangkok police try this on an individual basis? The workload would be huge. Better just rely on landlords and the existing system and if a farang turns up complaining about anything and they aren't 'registered' - out comes the tea-caddy :D

The boonies obviously don't have enough to do :)

I think it was February when the local cop (brother in law) asked the wife for a few details on me plus a photo or 2. I wasn’t in Thailand at the time.

He said they were required to keep a record of all the foreigners in their area. Purely with the best intentions in case of accident etc.

This one seems to be popping up every so often, almost always out in the boonies.

Not sure if you live in the city or outside.

I'm of the impression that this task is solely for the immigration police, unless you have no immigration close by. Falls I would think under the same law requiring you to report every movement throughout Thailand the moment you stay more then 24 hours away from your registered abode.

I reckon we'd end up with a bit of a queue at Pattaya police station :) if they do this over here

I've heard that you can do your 90 day report at a police station if no Immigration office was nearby.

It's not clear what this is regarding. Is this related to 90 days stay? Some posters relate it to the law requiring foreigners to register their address which is covered in the 90 day reporting, others say its not related to immigration....

Is related to the one-yr visa? marriage visas have always required some kind of check even in Bangkok....

Retirement visas and other one year visas often require some type of check especially in the initial year, such as money in bank account and income....

However, on a non-b or tourist visa I've never known this other than the 90 day reporting which applies to the former.

It's not clear what this is regarding. Is this related to 90 days stay? Some posters relate it to the law requiring foreigners to register their address which is covered in the 90 day reporting, others say its not related to immigration....

Is related to the one-yr visa? marriage visas have always required some kind of check even in Bangkok....

Retirement visas and other one year visas often require some type of check especially in the initial year, such as money in bank account and income....

However, on a non-b or tourist visa I've never known this other than the 90 day reporting which applies to the former.

Technically the 90 day reporting is not reporting your address, you do not need to supply proof of address. The 90 dayer is "Notification of an alien staying in Thailand for more than 90 days"

It's not related to marriage visa extensions. I had visits and had to register when on a Non imm "O" visa (not extension) and not married.

"You are suppost to report to the police within 8 hours according to the immigration act"

8 hours from when?

A couple of years ago the police left forms at school for all the foreigners to fill out.

A lot of nonsensical questions, but oddly, they didn't ask for our address.

I guess the office turned them in. We never heard anymore about it.

This was in KK City.

Sorry those are immigration forms. It was the police I was reporting to.

Also I have a been doing 90 day reports because I have an extension of stay.

I have alos been at the same address for over 7 years.

I have alos been at the same address for over 7 years.

There's your answer then - the police have just got a case of the seven-year itch.

(shoulda sent 'em flowers once in a while...)

Edited by phaethon