Fake Chicken In Thai Food

Oneman

The fake chicken is definitely here.

Very difficult to find real chicken meat any more, even in nicer Thai restaurants here in Chiangmai.

Now it's almost all extruded chicken slurry pretending to be real chicken.

fake chicken fried rice

fake chicken with cashew nuts

fake chicken with basil

They don't use real chicken any more, but rather a factory preparation described below.

The texture is that of rubbery bologna sausage.

There is no flavor.

The after-effect is an uncomfortable, bloated feeling; the sort that puts one on alert to remain near a toilet for the next 24 hours.

I eat often at five, nice, Thai, restaurants: clean, good service, and air-con.

In other words, better than the average "hole-in-the-wall," with higher than average prices, too.

One-by-one, in the past year, all of them have converted to fake chicken in their stir-fried dishes.

More details follow from Wikipedia.

Has anyone else observed fake chicken in their Thai food?

-- Oneman

Meat slurry

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A meat slurry, reconstituted meat, or emulsified meat, is a liquefied meat product ... Meat slurry also eases the process of meat distribution ... The meat is first finely ground and mixed with water. The mixture is then used in a centrifuge or with an emulsifier to separate the fats and myoglobin from the muscle. The product is then allowed to settle into three layers: meat, excess water, and fat. The remaining liquefied meat is then flash-frozen and packaged. Meat slurry is not designed to sell for general consumption; rather, it is used as a meat supplement in food products for humans, such as chicken nuggets, and food for domestic animals. Poultry is the most common meat slurry; however, beef and pork are also used.

Link to "Meat slurry" article at Wikipedia

Very difficult to find real chicken meat any more, even in nicer Thai restaurants here in Chiangmai.

<snip>

Nope, but I don't eat at McDonalds.

It's been the trend in western institutional food for at least a decade. It shouldn't come as a surprise to folks if they have been eating chicken sausages in Thailand. I avoid the stuff.

There is an alternative if one is worried though. Go vegan. :)

I have eaten all over Thailand and never come across any. I have eaten in some of the most expensive restaurants and at roadside stalls. Some of the best food has come from the roadside stalls. The only place I have seen such chicken, though I don't know for sure, is the chicken sausages in the 7 / 11 which I have never tried.

Restaurants are cutting corners everywhere, not just in produce costs but also in preparation time which equates to labour saving costs.

I have noticed that many restaurants have started using those tasteless frozen prawns which are on sale at Macros for example, instead of using fresh prawns. Excusable maybe in land locked destinations such as Chiang mai, but down South, come on!

I wonder if restauranteurs are aware that 'foodies' will search out places serving the real deal and not fake produce whether it be chicken or prawn or whatever. Vote with your feet, diners.

Regards Bojo

such as chicken nuggets, and food for domestic animals

Yuk!

as if I knew it, what a revelation!

Always been suspicious of this stuff, especially industrialized

pre-packed, pre-manufactured food stuff and avoided it!

Chicken Nuggets, if i like some, i make 'em myself!

So with minced meat, so with burger patties!

Nothing wrong with some nice deep fried chicken from a road side stall either!

But how do the Restaurants get their hand s on the stuff if it is supposedly

NOT Readily available on the market?

Edited by Samuian

fake chicken fried rice

fake chicken with basil

They don't use real chicken any more, but rather a factory preparation described below.

There is no flavor.

The after-effect is an uncomfortable, bloated feeling; the sort that puts one on alert to remain near a toilet for the next 24 hours.

In other words, better than the average "hole-in-the-wall," with higher than average prices, too.

One-by-one, in the past year, all of them have converted to fake chicken in their stir-fried dishes.

-- Oneman

Meat slurry

A meat slurry, reconstituted meat, or emulsified meat, is a liquefied meat product ... Meat slurry also eases the process of meat distribution ... The meat is first finely ground and mixed with water. The mixture is then used in a centrifuge or with an emulsifier to separate the fats and myoglobin from the muscle. The product is then allowed to settle into three layers: meat, excess water, and fat. The remaining liquefied meat is then flash-frozen and packaged. Meat slurry is not designed to sell for general consumption; rather, it is used as a meat supplement in food products for humans, such as chicken nuggets, and food for domestic animals. Poultry is the most common meat slurry; however, beef and pork are also used.

Maybe its time to cook your own if you don't like eating out? :)

Never seen fake chicken in Thai food before. I thought it was manly in western food.

Back in Australia some of the chicken paddies in the burgers tasted like gum, yuck.

I dont see why anyone would use fake chicken in Thailand as its not that expensive here and would be hard to find the fake stuff.

Maybe move to Bangkok where the real food is.

>In other words, better than the average "hole-in-the-wall," with higher than average prices, too.

Is that the problem? When places get bigger they try to cut corners and buy in pre-prepared items like chicken-lumps rather than buy-cut-cook real chickens. Keep to the small cheap places they can't afford to buy in pre-pepared food.

Fake stuff prevelant in US especially in Chinese restaurants and carryouts. It's also used in other places such as Subway. Had tom kha gai at a popular Thai restaurant recently and it was full of fake chicken. The restaurant did a pretty good job of making the dish tasty, however.

I am confused about how you can tell if it is in a Thai dish. I suspect I may have also had this in tom kha gai, the chicken pieces appear uniform and very white. Can someone post a pic of this slurry when used in such a dish as opposed to in a fried nugget where of course it is hidden quite well?

Those types of product are ground up everything left over from the carcass once stripped of the meat and other valuable parts,

bleached or colored and squashed together with chemicals.

It is chicken or what ever but not what you think your getting.

mmmmmaroimai?

I am confused about how you can tell if it is in a Thai dish. I suspect I may have also had this in tom kha gai, the chicken pieces appear uniform and very white. Can someone post a pic of this slurry when used in such a dish as opposed to in a fried nugget where of course it is hidden quite well?

post-14874-1244048200.jpg

In tom kha gai it would be easy to tell as the textue is very different. sometimes you can see small bubbles in the meat simular to bean curd cubes. It probably has a textue closer to bean curd then chicken.

Well this is what you will see in Australia, not sure if they make the "fake" chicken meat here any different

• 3 weeks later...

I have not seen this so called fake chicken here in the US, excet at McDonalds. What I have seen is chicken ingested with up to 20 percent sodium saline. Its disgusting. Most restaurants use pre-cooked packaged chicken breast in salads, which is also nasty. Just charge me $1 more and use the real deal!!!!!!!

Is this the chicken that Thai resturaunts in Chicago try to pass off as Chicken?

It's always served in a stringy like fashion.

fake chicken fried rice

fake chicken with basil

There is no flavor.

-- Oneman

Meat slurry

• 2 weeks later...